As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: New Ver. RELEASED! Now in 3 ASCII dimensions! (NSF56K)

• Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the mule is a sacrifice to the greater good

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the mule is a sacrifice to the greater good
    Toady said in a later update that he managed to repeat the tradgedy mule scenario with the mule surviving thanks to the new swimming code :P Although not on the first attempt. Or the second. Or the third...

Testing notes now down to 37!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    I'm-ah making-ah those tiles.
    civil.jpg
    Not really useful in the next version, but probably the one after it?

Those tiles look really good.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    civil.jpg

Monocle-dude is pretty awesome.

(also, given what most dorfs go through in this game, I find the perpetual :| expression highly appropriate)

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I watched the Tragedy Mule video, and above all it's making me wonder if Toady's mentioned streamlining wall building. It'd get annoying quick to build a structure from scratch one square at a time, especially when it would seemingly be so easy to be able lengthen them like roads or farms.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else see the video where Toady constructs a bridge above ground level outside the mountain? I submit to such possibilities as: firing posts for dwarf archers (obvious but functional), noble disposal (what a nice balcony... with a trap door that drops you twenty stories into an unsuspecting siege army, causing a massive explosion of deadly noble bone shrapnel and viscera), insane dwarf disposal, water cannons which fire stones, magma cannons which fire magma and flame, etc etc etc. Frankly, I am very dissapointed in myself for highly anticipating such hideous actions... but I can live with that. My enemies, however, will not be able live with angry elephant bombs, noble explosions, crushing flood stones, being burned alive well away from my fortress, to name a few things.

Which video was that?!

TurnpikeLad on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    (also, given what most dorfs go through in this game, I find the perpetual :| expression highly appropriate)
    I think that's supposed to be a mustache...

I leave that open to interpretation lol.gif
    I'd also like to point out that the monocle-dude is the jeweler. Should I think of some other symbol?

Mayday on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gaaaah. Want new version. Want to drown in dorf goodness until my brain melts.

I need my computer back so I can distract myself with Portal.

DF and Mount and Blade are the only games I can play on these damb college computers.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh damn. Working on the nobles has proven to be much harder than the basic dorfs. Is it okay that I pop in from time to time and ask for feedback?
    For example: are these clear to you?
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mayday, those are excellent.

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    /../.. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Now we just need some faggot to jump in here and say how much they suck and how much he loves his plain old ASCII.

Also can you give the sprites varying beard colors? Some with black hair others with red, or blonde, etc.

/.. on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah... that's the manager.

As for the first- I was planning this icon for a broker (he's holding a contract). The money symbol is to be placed near every noble dabbling with economy:
    Broker, Trade Minister, Guildmaster, Bookkeeper, Treasurer, Hoardmaster, Dungeon Master (?), Tax Collector.

Mayday on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you put more brown of the contract, it'll look like a clipboard. Would make it clearer for me.

Vic on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maybe the jeweller could hold a bit bigger gem, something shaped like a (Zelda) rupee? I thought he was a wine taster for a second, all that's missing is a top hat.

I assume the blue guy to the right is your generic hauler dwarf?

The nobles and the child look good, instantly recognizable. I guess all the guildpeople and minor nobility would be a lot harder to make distinguishable. Toady did overhaul/remove a lot of them in the new version though, so that might not be as hard as it seems.

Looking good so far!

peterdevore on
  • Options
    lazyc0mmunistlazyc0mmunist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In the last thread someone posted a link to install dwarf fortress with replacement tilesets already installed. If someone could repost it, that would be awesome.

lazyc0mmunist on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    civil.jpg

I think that's supposed to be a mustache...

Yeah, I noticed that after a bit, but my first impression was "man, those dorfs do not look impressed."

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh damn. Working on the nobles has proven to be much harder than the basic dorfs. Is it okay that I pop in from time to time and ask for feedback?
    For example: are these clear to you?
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

I thought the last one was a dwarf prostitute. :(

Those are really awesome though. I second making the jewel for the jeweler more apparent.

Also what is the guy with the giant trough/spade spose to be?

jb7 on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think it's a mason. Is it the one in the white?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the jeweler on there has the pretty standard 'gemstone!' shaped diamond thing...it might be better if it was a different color, as to distinguish it from what may normally be associated with glass (blue would probably be the choicest color (green'd be good too...if DF didn't have mountains of sand and green glass)).

Don't forget that Elephants need to be coated in blood.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    /.. wrote: »
    Now we just need some faggot to jump in here and say how much they suck and how much he loves his plain old ASCII.

Also can you give the sprites varying beard colors? Some with black hair others with red, or blonde, etc.

Wow, it didn't take long for you to get banned.

KiTA on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think those sprites look professionally gorgeous.

But I love my plain ol' ASCII. It's just so much simpler to tell what's what once you've loo[k]ed at it a couple times to remember what it identifies. I'd definitely love to see a mockup of a fully-tiled version of a DF screen, to see if I'm right in that an all-sprite map would just be too cluttered to read effectively.

Again, the essential graphical update I want is a nearly full screen window of maybe 80x100 tiles. Can you image how hard it's going to be to manage a fortress with its main hall running north-south when the window shows less than thirty tiles along that axis?

But the real faggot to jump in here was /.. . Does he have a blog we can read to hear how terrible and unfair were his infractions?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't forget to rate this thread guys, we need those stars to easily identify this thread! :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes, this thread menaces with spikes of gold stars. :P

Toady put up these two images of the intermediate fractal map yesterday. It really shows how processor intensive it must be to generate a whole world with erosion and height maps taken into account.

Only 31 testing notes left!

peterdevore on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess Toady One knows what it's like to be God by now. Sort of.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    I think those sprites look professionally gorgeous.

But I love my plain ol' ASCII. It's just so much simpler to tell what's what once you've loo[k]ed at it a couple times to remember what it identifies. I'd definitely love to see a mockup of a fully-tiled version of a DF screen, to see if I'm right in that an all-sprite map would just be too cluttered to read effectively.

Again, the essential graphical update I want is a nearly full screen window of maybe 80x100 tiles. Can you image how hard it's going to be to manage a fortress with its main hall running north-south when the window shows less than thirty tiles along that axis?

The main problem with sprites is that while those do look amazing, in the game they'll be about a quarter of the size and much harder to recognize at a glance, I'd imagine.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Toady put up these two images of the intermediate fractal map yesterday. It really shows how processor intensive it must be to generate a whole world with erosion and height maps taken into account.

If you go to this page you can find the entire world in the new map format. I wont direct link the image because its huge and it might eat the poor guys bandwidth.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    NEXT RELEASE TASK LIST: The number in parentheses is just a counter for me. Lower is better.

handle testing notes (31)
    update zlib code
    So close I can taste it. And it tastes great.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait to get my hands on the new version.

I've already told all my friends and family that I will no longer have time for them.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »

If you go to this page you can find the entire world in the new map format. I wont direct link the image because its huge and it might eat the poor guys bandwidth.

Wait...do we actually get to use those views while choosing our fortress site? Or are they just behind the scenes sorts of maps? Because they're sweet, and it'd probably be easier to pick a spot if its got all those detailed overlays.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    jb7 wrote: »
    I second making the jewel for the jeweler more apparent.
    Maybe the jeweller could hold a bit bigger gem, something shaped like a (Zelda) rupee? I thought he was a wine taster for a second, all that's missing is a top hat.

jewelers.jpg ?
    I assume the blue guy to the right is your generic hauler dwarf?
    Yes, that's the peasant.
    Also what is the guy with the giant trough/spade spose to be?
    It's a trowel, the standard tool of a mason.
    The main problem with sprites is that while those do look amazing, in the game they'll be about a quarter of the size and much harder to recognize at a glance, I'd imagine.
    Like I said- I'm only making those in the hopes of us ever getting to be able to display 32px tiles in the game. I'm also making 16px tiles but in terms of being clear and readable, they can hardly compare to the plain ASCII symbols. (and thanks for the compliment;).

Anyways, some new dorfs today. I'm surprised how long it can take to make a 32px icon :/

45.jpg456.jpg56.jpgbaby.jpgcg.jpgtjj.jpgx.jpg

The last one is a guard, I'm not sure what attribute to use for those guys.

Mayday on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd go for the second jeweller. Those are all truly awesome. Who is the saw noble though?

Vic on
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those are some awesome icons.

Also, I'd kill for the ability to display more vertical real-estate. :|

Becoming on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That baby dwarf is hilarious.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    J3p wrote: »
    That baby dwarf is hilarious.

It is also probably one of the most hideous things I've ever created D:

Vic: it's the Carpenters' Guild Rep.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man i need to get this game again.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    now there is no need for the beards over babies society

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    Infinity Minus OneInfinity Minus One __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    hey if anything you could use those dwarf graphics to make a multiplayer BYOND version of Dwarf Fortress where every player is a dwarf. Since it takes 32x32 graphics.

Infinity Minus One on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That would be pretty crazy.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I wonder what testing notes means, exactly. Most certainly more tests, I imagine, but it will be interesting to see how quickly he can get through them and onto super-mega-awesome release day.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    x.jpg

The last one is a guard, I'm not sure what attribute to use for those guys.

I suggest giving guards (and all military dwarves, for that matter) face-covering helmets. I think it would be a good way of making them distinct (as well as badass).

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.