As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Love] thread, for exist's sake.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Long distance relationships can be yearn-inducing, but there's never been a better time in history to have them than now.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My Dad used to send my Mum two letters a day. Which I thought was ridiculous at first, until I realised that it was just the equivalent of facebook chatting.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Long distance relationships can be yearn-inducing, but there's never been a better time in history to have them than now.

Well, until we get Star Trek (tm) style teleportation beaming.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    hey, hi, hey

i was with carla for four years before we finally decided to bridge the gap, and now I live in ireland

i think it's foolish to say that one type of relationship is ''easier'' than the other because every relationship has its own obstacles to clear, no matter what your status is

that said, i think the challenges that we face now, that many couples who move in together and approach a wedding face, seem eminently more approachable?

cause i mean, they are real and concrete problems like leaving towels on the floor or whatever, they're not big ol' metaphyiscal "when will i see this person again, if something happens will i be able to get out there to be there for them, why haven't they responded to me in a day oh god'' issues that can plague long distance relationships of any kind

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    how you finding the summer :¬)

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Hello yes hi

Last night (our anniversery) I made my girlfriend pasta even though I can't cook and made a cheesecake and presented her with a big fancy Omnibus of Sandman and she liked it a lot!

She sewed together a Link to the Past Quilt for me and I can't even begin to imagine the hours it took to make

5V92C1T.jpg

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I love cheesecake, but that quilt is so much better.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    hey, hi, hey

i was with carla for four years before we finally decided to bridge the gap, and now I live in ireland

i think it's foolish to say that one type of relationship is ''easier'' than the other because every relationship has its own obstacles to clear, no matter what your status is

that said, i think the challenges that we face now, that many couples who move in together and approach a wedding face, seem eminently more approachable?

cause i mean, they are real and concrete problems like leaving towels on the floor or whatever, they're not big ol' metaphyiscal "when will i see this person again, if something happens will i be able to get out there to be there for them, why haven't they responded to me in a day oh god'' issues that can plague long distance relationships of any kind

How often did you see her (in person) before you moved there?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Think we took a total seven or eight trips, each two to three weeks

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    how you finding the summer :¬)

It was real goddamn nice yesterday!!!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i'm suspicious. Are you sure you're in Ireland?

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    it was nice yesterday!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    Hello yes hi

Last night (our anniversery) I made my girlfriend pasta even though I can't cook and made a cheesecake and presented her with a big fancy Omnibus of Sandman and she liked it a lot!

She sewed together a Link to the Past Quilt for me and I can't even begin to imagine the hours it took to make

5V92C1T.jpg

Marry her.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ecco and I were together for two years before I moved to new Zealand. Two more years before we got engaged and we've been married about 18 months now.

We saw each other twice during our time apart. Both for a week each. And both times he flew to the states. We survived on Skype dates and emails.

It's not easy by a long shot, but they are totally doable.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Damn, two weeks in two years! The guy I'm dating (why do I have a complex about the word boyfriend??) is out of town for two weeks and I'm mopey about it, that certainly adds perspective.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Ecco and I were together for two years before I moved to new Zealand. Two more years before we got engaged and we've been married about 18 months now.

We saw each other twice during our time apart. Both for a week each. And both times he flew to the states. We survived on Skype dates and emails.

It's not easy by a long shot, but they are totally doable.

In some weird bizarre way I feel like I could only do LDRs on the extremes.

Either not seeing each other very often and not for long, or fairly frequently or for pretty long periods of time each visit.

Something in the middle would probably wind up making me very restless a lot of the time.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Damn, two weeks in two years! The guy I'm dating (why do I have a complex about the word boyfriend??) is out of town for two weeks and I'm mopey about it, that certainly adds perspective.

We started dating in Nov 2009, he came over the first week in Jan 2010. And met my parents that same week. And then again for a week for PAX 2010 in seattle. I moved to New Zealand in Feb 2011.

But to be fair, we were on skype with one another practically every night, on video calls, for hours. Sometimes I'd fall asleep while Skype was still on and Ecco was on his computer or something playing a video game or programming.

Again, it's not for everybody, but it can work out if both parties are keen on it.

Skype dates help! not our normal every night together kind, but we would watch movies together (Ecco would either share his screen or point the webcam at the monitor), play video games together (or he'd play and I'd watch), or even cook together. Everything was a normal relationship for us. We were just on opposite sides of the world and anywhere from 18-20 hours time difference.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    I want some bloody flowers.

Oh my God, I'm totally at flower level with wrestle girl. This will totally raise the level of the relationship.

Boom! From some sort of sexual agreement to a boyfriend girlfriend type constellation in one bouquet and some fatty duck legs. Thanks @Liiya

But I'm leaving the country in two months to live out the plans I laid when everything was hopeless and I was rebuilding my life. Someone send help. I'm caught in a romantic comedy.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That is awesome, Peter! !

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Liiya I like your new hat! Are you going to start ending your posts with "M'Lord" ?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    M'laddie

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Greetings m'laddie

I just wanted you to know, you don't need to wear make-up for me, I'm not like those other girls, I think you're beautiful the way you are.

e:(langly gave me this lovely hat)

Liiya on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Greetings m'laddie

I just wanted you to know, you don't need to wear make-up for me, I'm not like those other girls, I think you're beautiful the way you are.

e:(langly gave me this lovely hat)

I like your stylish trenchcoat as well. Very Matrix-y!

You may not be Neo, but you are The One in our hearts.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    There were a couple of pigeons a'courting on a telegraph wire while I was mucking out stables this morning*, and I swear one of them did the old "pretend to yawn, stretch out and oh whoops, my wing is round your shoulder" thing.

*I hate doing this. Someone please come and do this for me.

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    i feel like im never going to be good enough for anyone.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Are you good enough for yourself?

If so you've already proven yourself wrong

If not, what would it take for you to be?

• Options
    Are you good enough for yourself?
    I'm not. But I'm slowly starting to acknowledge my qualities. Too bad no one else ever seems to.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Learning to like yourself, let alone love yourself is a painful and long journey.

• Options
    self confidence means nothing in itself. let's be real, it's not like you're going to hold your own hand. you can be self confident all you want, but if you live somewhere secluded without any people, it's not going to have much use. positive affirmations from people(genuine ones, not the ones said just to make you feel better) can do wonders.

• Options
    Becoming truly self-confident is one of my main goals, especially as someone with social anxiety. It would make getting through the day much easier, as well forming relationships with others (platonic or not).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    as someone with social phobia/anxiety, i can tell you it does get better, but you have to work on it.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    In my experience you'll never truly overcome it; it'll never really go away. But you'll learn how to cope with it, and find ways of ensuring you can still function in social situations even if it makes you some measure of stressed.

The goal is to make sure your social interactions are more positive than they are negative. It can be a long haul (took me a decade to really get there and I still mess up a lot) but if you keep at it you'll get there.

As for what "it" is, that depends on what you are comfortable with and what works for you.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    My goal should probably be having social interactions, period. :P I usually just avoid them if I can because I figure I'm going to be rejected or left out like I have been in the past. But I think it would be pretty cool to have at least one close friend to hang out with occasionally, so I'm definitely going to work on this!

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I've been taking a break from dating site stuff but this morning someone messaged me outta the blue so that's neat

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    as someone who went from self-loathing to the point of attempting suicide to thinking he's supreme hot-shit of the universe

please hang in there

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm gonna have to establish some boundaries. I need a road map for this madness, afore I steer us all to some unworthy doom.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Can't decide if this should go in the family thread or the love thread, but I think it's more relevant here because it's a "what would you guys prefer at the end of a relationship" sort of question.

My sister just broke up with her boyfriend of three/four years. Wyborn and I weren't really terrific friends with him or anything like that, but did see him every month or two. I don't know if we'll ever cross ways again (this breakup sounds messyish) but I was thinking of sending a quick e-mail or note to him saying well... hey, keep in touch, etc. He's a pretty decent guy.

Good idea? Bad idea? Would you hate getting something like that?

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Naaah don't message him

It's a nice thought but

Nah I wouldn't

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Depends, really

would your sister be mad?

do you care?

• Options
    like if your question is "is it customary to say farewell to a sibling's ex" then the answer is no

lfYVHTd.png
This discussion has been closed.