As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RCagent wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    Also, the Xbox is loud, gets extremly hot, red rings and isn't as powerful as the PS3. Oh, and you have to pay for online when the support is no better than the PS3's.

While I'll agree that the 360 has very well documented problems in terms of stability, I have dropped my 360 onto a hardwood floor twice without a single problem. Also, show me something besides folding that the PS3 has done that is impossible on the 360.

Come on. Show me anything.

Motion sensing in a degree that the Wii can't emulate? More of every type of hardware? 50 gb on one disk? Quality hardware? Free online?

Small library?

Oops.

Oh, and the 360 was just roaring with games early on in its life.

SO WHO WANTS TO PLAY SOME RESISTANCE FALL OF MAN?

Oh I'm sorry, you can only play it online, no split screen, because they put so much awesome on the screen at one time that having splitscreen would just lag the game.

Yeah, I know Gears of Wars does splitscreen, but that doesn't mean shit.

Shut up.

...Blue Ray.
    Uuh, resistance has splitscreen

And Splitscreen co-op

and the races in non-co-op actually have different abilities and the like.
    And example is that the chimera are severly affected by heat, but far less affected by headshots, and instead of the ability to crouch, they went beserk, could see through walls and ran really fast, but they would overheat. When switching modes a plume of fire would shoot out of the Chimera's back signifying it turned off its radiotor, this also ruined any element of surprise you may have had.

With motorstorm and motion sensor, I think they only put it in there because there really wasnt much of a point in not doing it.

And Lair; from the viewpoint of my friend (he owns a 360, and plays it constantly, though has another friend who owns a PS3) is a really fun game. I guess it was fun for him because he didn't have to give it a score. He picked it up and thought "Alright, Lets see what happens when I do this!"

From what he has said, he thought it was an awesome game, and had quite versatile controls.

The Black Hunter on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Boredom wrote: »
    Saban wrote: »
    wahhh sony wants to turn a profit wahhhhhh

Their competitors are turning a profit without resorting to egregious business practices.

Sony has to make shitty decisions right now because they put out a high-priced, hard to develop for console. At least they're making decisions instead of flopping around like a dead fish.

At this point, the two are indistinguishable.

Sony is doing what it has to to keep its console...

Also, the term "next-gen" is an arbitrary and completely meaningless buzzword used by marketers and fanboys who are too stupid to say anything substantive. You're not either of those, are you?

I hope not, and I am trying not to go overboard here.

When I use next-gen, I mean something that completely surpasses the previous, and actually requires a new train of thought.

Example, the transition from string fired weapons to explosive fired weapons. From Iron to steel, from typewriters to computers.

I know the change isnt as drastic as that with the consoles, but I don't want to see, using a terrible metaphor, the new ferrari using the older models alloys and steering wheel.

The Black Hunter on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know the change isnt as drastic as that with the consoles, but I don't want to see, using a terrible metaphor, the new ferrari using the older models alloys and steering wheel.

That metaphor is either terrible or perfect depending upon whether someone agrees or disagrees with you.

The biggest problem with a transition between generations like this for developers is that it requires developers to put more effort into their games, without giving a proportional increase in profit. Those new alloys are expensive, why use them if you can get almost as much strength from the ones that you already know how to work with and have been under heavy production for quite some time?

jothki on
    edited October 2007
    jothki wrote: »

That metaphor is either terrible or perfect depending upon whether someone agrees or disagrees with you.

The biggest problem with a transition between generations like this for developers is that it requires developers to put more effort into their games, without giving a proportional increase in profit. Those new alloys are expensive, why use them if you can get almost as much strength from the ones that you already know how to work with and have been under heavy production for quite some time?

I think it is more a case of "I don't need racing quality wheels if I can just use hubcaps".

Eventually, they will have to swap to the difficult option with the higher potential. And I guess Sony jumped the Gun.

Even so, if everyone else starts running with them, then the other who waited behind will have alot of catching up to do.

I think, right now, people are still looking from the guy running ahead, to the guy next to them, wondering just what the hell they are supposed to do.

edit: ANALOGY BATTLE!!

The Black Hunter on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think Sony is misunderstood. They will grow out of stupid, but not without your help.

RichardTauber on
    edited October 2007
    I think Sony is misunderstood. They will grow out of stupid, but not without your help.

I don't know what you are talking about :(

Who is "they" and who is "your"?

The Black Hunter on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

And how would that work, exactly? Not buy the product? Speak the language they will respond to?

Henroid on
    edited October 2007

I think it is more a case of "I don't need racing quality wheels if I can just use hubcaps".

Eventually, they will have to swap to the difficult option with the higher potential. And I guess Sony jumped the Gun.

Even so, if everyone else starts running with them, then the other who waited behind will have alot of catching up to do.

I think, right now, people are still looking from the guy running ahead, to the guy next to them, wondering just what the hell they are supposed to do.

Why does my car need racing quality wheels, if I'm just driving it on city streets? Why do I need to run faster, if I'm not currently in a race?

Right now, everyone is looking at the guy ahead, seeing how hard he's panting, and wondering if he's going to give himself a heart attack.

jothki on
    edited October 2007

And how would that work, exactly? Not buy the product?

Worked for Nintendo.

jothki on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

And how would that work, exactly? Not buy the product?

Worked for Nintendo.

Zing

Oh, wait. It did.

RichardTauber on
    edited October 2007

Why does my car need racing quality wheels, if I'm just driving it on city streets? Why do I need to run faster, if I'm not currently in a race?

Right now, everyone is looking at the guy ahead, seeing how hard he's panting, and wondering if he's going to give himself a heart attack.

This isnt driving on city streets. That would be a standard DVD player and an applemac.

And it's not about how hard he's panting, that's taking the analogy out of context, it's about whether or not he finishes the race, or if the race is restarted and he has to walk all the way back to the startline when everyone else could have just legged it with him.

The Black Hunter on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This isnt driving on city streets. That would be a standard DVD player and an applemac.

And it's not about how hard he's panting, that's taking the analogy out of context, it's about whether or not he finishes the race, or if the race is restarted and he has to walk all the way back to the startline when everyone else could have just legged it with him.

OK, this is getting kind of confusing. Are you saying that... because Nintendo and Microsoft developed consoles that aren't as powerful as the PS3, they'll have to work harder next generation to make up the difference? Because if so, that's not how technology works, and is one of the reasons the Wii is so cheap, and Nintendo has ever been successful, but I don't really think that's it....

"all the way back to the startline"... I really don't understand what you're trying to say at all.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't really care what technology is used to make a fun game as long as the game is fun.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »

OK, this is getting kind of confusing. Are you saying that... because Nintendo and Microsoft developed consoles that aren't as powerful as the PS3, they'll have to work harder next generation to make up the difference? Because if so, that's not how technology works, and is one of the reasons the Wii is so cheap, and Nintendo has ever been successful, but I don't really think that's it....

"all the way back to the startline"... I really don't understand what you're trying to say at all.

Less confused analysis, more metaphors, dammit!

jothki on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think what he is saying is the PS3 is black, and it will run faster than the slower Wii and 360 cause they are white. And everyone knows the best sprinters are black guys?

Is there drug testing?

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2007
    Man this is the most overblown shit ever. As far as I can tell, the fuss is as follows: Sony are releasing a cheaper version of the PS3 without PS2 backwards compatibility.

So what? The 60gb version still has it, if you want BC pay the extra money. This is a console you're likely going to have for a few years at the very least, spend the extra cash if BC is important to you (and who really used the BC on PS2? I used it maybe three times). I was pissed about the BC on Euro PS3s being software base, until I looked at the actual facts and realised that 75% of PS2 games work on it anyway.

So the entire fuss is "We now have the option to buy a PS3 with BC! WAAAAAAHHHHH". Or is it the addition of Sony saying "we don't have a huge focus on BC because we would rather people bought new games". Congratulations, a company just told you the truth, and a reasonable truth at that. Enjoy it, this may be the last time it happens.

Tube on
    edited October 2007
    Apparently Nintendo were unable to comment on this situation as they were all out of the office giving rainbows to orphans.

Tube on
    edited October 2007
    Apparently Nintendo were unable to comment on this situation as they were all out of the office giving rainbows to orphans.

I was tempted to kill my parents, but then I realized that in a few months, Brawl is going to render rainbows obsolete.

jothki on
    edited October 2007
    Also parents.

Tube on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the issue is that they are likely to discontinue the 60gb model shortly.

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    Best rush to the shops then!

Tube on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    But it's really expensive!

Bloods End on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I think the issue is that they are likely to discontinue the 60gb model shortly.

Why the hell would they do that?

Henroid on
    edited October 2007

Because they've come out with 40 gig and 80 gig models that flank it and the 80 gig isn't clearly tagged as a luxury model, I would assume.

jothki on
    edited October 2007
    Best rush to the shops then!

But I have no monies, and don't want to pay that much for a PS3.

Honestly, my main problem with what they are doing -

1. It isn't a price drop, they are trying to create the illusion of additional value in what was the standard SKU. I find it somewhat deceitful.

2. Their attitude is - "If we remove BC, people will buy more PS3 games", this is probably true, but it is removing a feature that is useful to lots of people, solely for profiteering.

3. It is very confusing. I am a geek yet i could still not off the top of my head tell you every type of PS3 there is out there, iirc it's

USA
    20gb, hardware BC, missing card reader and wireless
    60gb, hardware BC
    80gb, software BC
    40gb, no BC, missing USB ports

EU
    60gb, software BC
    40gb, no BC, missing USB ports

Now, all these points can be explained by "Sony is a business, and like any business, it seeks to maximise wealth" which is fine, none of their decisions upset/offend me, they just make me, as a consumer, less likely to buy a PS3.

They have allready said they are doing so in Europe.

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    But they haven't removed the feature, they've just come out with a cheaper version that doesn't use it. I don't see how coming out with cheaper SKUs with different features is deceitful either.

Edit: confusing as balls I'll grant you

Tube on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think Sony should just take pieces of bacon, wrap them around chocolate, deep fry that, and serve it up with honey butter.

That should make everything better.

Bloods End on
    edited October 2007
    But they haven't removed the feature, they've just come out with a cheaper version that doesn't use it. I don't see how coming out with cheaper SKUs with different features is deceitful either.

Edit: confusing as balls I'll grant you

In Europe at least, they have said the 60gb will be discontinued.

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah but Europe gets the shaft anyway, not America! <.<

Henroid on
    edited October 2007
    Could you source that for me?

Tube on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man this is the most overblown shit ever. As far as I can tell, the fuss is as follows: Sony are releasing a cheaper version of the PS3 without PS2 backwards compatibility.

So what? The 60gb version still has it, if you want BC pay the extra money. This is a console you're likely going to have for a few years at the very least, spend the extra cash if BC is important to you (and who really used the BC on PS2? I used it maybe three times). I was pissed about the BC on Euro PS3s being software base, until I looked at the actual facts and realised that 75% of PS2 games work on it anyway.

They aren't making any more 60GB systems, and all indications are that future SKUs will not have emulation, not just this 20GB. So if I want to get a PS3 next year, but want to play my PS2 games, I'm fucked.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Could you source that for me?

Well shit, looks like same goes for SCEA.

Looking for a link about Europe now.

Edit: and Europe

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    plufim wrote: »

They aren't making any more 60GB systems, and all indications are that future SKUs will not have emulation, not just this 20GB. So if I want to get a PS3 next year, but want to play my PS2 games, I'm fucked.

Work as a checkout chick at your local supermarket.

6 weeks later = PS3

The Black Hunter on
    edited October 2007
    Aww nutsack.

Tube on
    edited October 2007
    Aww nutsack.

Nutsack indeed.

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    Ok, objection to bitching withdrawn, this is retarded. Everyone back to your positions.

Tube on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    plufim wrote: »

Work as a checkout chick at your local supermarket.

6 weeks later = PS3

So... getting a second job to get a PS3. I remember when Kutaragi first said that.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Ok, objection to bitching withdrawn, this is retarded. Everyone back to your positions.

lolsony

LewieP on
    edited October 2007

Yessir!

jothki on
    edited October 2007

Yessir!

HAI U U R RONG GO BAK 2 UR MUM TAHT I EM FUKCIG!

The Black Hunter on