As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think some of you are missing how Pancake had "MASS EFFECT! ASK ME ABOUT IT!" in his title for months. And has probably updated this thread more than anyone else. And has an encyclopedic knowledge of every tidbit of info ever released. I'm not sure he's entirely serious.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    people, the combat is secondary in this game. the dialogue is the gameplay. it's been this way in these sorts of RPGs since Planescape. if all you're looking at is the combat, then yeah, it's Diablo 2 with guns in space. if you want a branching dialogue that affects your relationships with npcs and the overall storyline, you're not gonna find that shit in Diablo 2.

Choosing your dialogue and interacting with NPCs sounds neat, but it's not. It hardly counts as a game, much less entertainment. We should just go back to playing text adventures, right?

The combat is the bulk of the game. It's pretty obvious by how many videos have combat in them. They wouldn't show the combat much if the combat didn't play a big role, right? So just get out of here with your silly "dialogue as gameplay" argument and stop making excuses for ripping off older and better games.

This will never live up to Diablo 2, no matter how hard they try. BioWare makes boring games and their combat doesn't let you click enough.

EDIT:
    I think some of you are missing how Pancake had "MASS EFFECT! ASK ME ABOUT IT!" in his title for months. And has probably updated this thread more than anyone else. And has an encyclopedic knowledge of every tidbit of info ever released. I'm not sure he's entirely serious.

You're a lying liar face.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can only take so much sarcasm, you know.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    people, the combat is secondary in this game. the dialogue is the gameplay. it's been this way in these sorts of RPGs since Planescape. if all you're looking at is the combat, then yeah, it's Diablo 2 with guns in space. if you want a branching dialogue that affects your relationships with npcs and the overall storyline, you're not gonna find that shit in Diablo 2.

Choosing your dialogue and interacting with NPCs sounds neat, but it's not. It hardly counts as a game, much less entertainment. We should just go back to playing text adventures, right?

The combat is the bulk of the game. It's pretty obvious by how many videos have combat in them. They wouldn't show the combat much if the combat didn't play a big role, right? So just get out of here with your silly "dialogue as gameplay" argument and stop making excuses for ripping off older and better games.

This will never live up to Diablo 2, no matter how hard they try. BioWare makes boring games and their combat doesn't let you click enough. Click once and be set to auto attack? What the fuck is that? Just let me click. God.

EDIT:

and you're now a dude

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

This will never live up to Diablo 2, no matter how hard they try. BioWare makes boring games and their combat doesn't let you click enough. Click once and be set to auto attack? What the fuck is that? Just let me click. God.

EDIT:

and you're now a dude

I could live with that, but penises are kind of weird.

You're all weird too. All of you.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Pancake is right, I made all that up just to sully his reputation.

Because Mass Effect is totally ripping off Too Human.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake is right, I made all that up just to sully his reputation.

Because Mass Effect is totally ripping off Too Human.

which is basically two Star Wars taped together on rails

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    this isn't serious right

right

tell me it isn't

I know it doesn't look serious, it looks like a joke, but I can't tell the difference anymore on this forum.
    Yeah, it looks more like a D2 ripoff. It's kinda sad, actually.

Goomba when did you become so sarcastic and mean

did my theft of your conveyance turn your heart to stone
    I died that day. On the inside.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

What the hell? You ever played a good old school RPG? Or Planescape: Torment?

notagame on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yeah, this thing smelled like you died on the inside. I had to wash it like, ten times.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2007
    notagame wrote: »

What the hell? You ever played a good old school RPG? Or Planescape: Torment?

WARNING SARCASM ALERT

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2007
    Then maybe you should get your own. Ever think of that? No, you didn't, because you're just a big fat bully.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    yeah, this thing smelled like you died on the inside. I had to wash it like, ten times.

Sounds dangerous.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ...and lonely

:winky:

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sarcasm only works once. Continuing to use it is like asking to be considered an idiot.

Use it sparingly or it becomes worthless.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Sarcasm only works once. Continuing to use it is like asking to be considered an idiot.

That's what I thought, but despite repeatedly saying entirely idiotic things in multiple threads, the same people fall for it every single time and new people tend to fall for it even after it's pointed out that I wasn't being serious and there is evidence laid out as to why I could not have been serious.

That makes it hard to resist.

And so it continues on.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007

Oh, that's good advice.

aabf18_sarcasm_detector.jpg

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2007

That's what I thought, but despite repeatedly saying entirely idiotic things in multiple threads, the same people fall for it every single time and new people tend to fall for it even after it's pointed out that I wasn't being serious and there is evidence laid out as to why I could not have been serious.

And so it continues on.

man I don't check this thread with any regularity

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2007

And so it continues on.

That's sarcasm, right?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited October 2007

And so it continues on.

That's sarcasm, right?

actually, no!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2007

That's sarcasm, right?

actually, no!

I was being sarcastic.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited October 2007
    YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE UNLEASHED NOW.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    so that Mass Effect huh

I hear there's some talkin', yep.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Back to Mass Effect. Anyone have any news if there are lesbian love side quests? Not the butch, mullet lesbians mind you.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
    edited October 2007
    so that Mass Effect huh

Mass Effect is probably the first game that can advertise naked lesbians and be taken seriously.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    so that Mass Effect huh

Mass Effect is probably the first game that can advertise naked lesbians and be taken seriously.

which is good!

this game is my most anticipated game of, like, ever.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2007
    so that Mass Effect huh

which is good!

this game is my most anticipated game of, like, ever.

Im kinda not hyped for it.

Much in the same way I wasnt hyped at all for Orange Box. I know it will be good. There is pretty much a load of media out there already.

Now, I hope by kinda keeping my spirits down on it the game will destroy me like team Fortress 2 did (considered it least part of orange box, played it a bit, now i play it hours each day)

Like Bioshock. That came out of fucking nowhere for me and was unbelievable. I mean I knew of it for years, was hyped, but by kinda just not getting caught up in the hype too much I was able to have a better experience.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007

And so it continues on.
    You're just mad that you don't know what sarcasm is and you just made a dumb post now you're trying to cover it up.

Wait, shit, I used shift, now it's all off. Oh well.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Frankly, I'm shocked that ME now has under a month until release. Time flies scarily fast.

You know, I'm most excited to go around fiddling with weapons and armour, frankly. This is kind of a weird impulse.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited October 2007
    Frankly, I'm shocked that ME now has under a month until release. Time flies scarily fast.

You know, I'm most excited to go around fiddling with weapons and armour, frankly. This is kind of a weird impulse.

I know, I sometimes forget when we actually found out about the release date. It doesn't feel like I've been waiting since mid July, but then, once I found out the date, my enthusiasm hasn't been as crippling. I'm sure that will change as we get closer and closer like it always does.

And I want to make a face! I greatly enjoy being able to use character creators like Mass Effect's, though I know I'll be happy with what I come up with after an hour, but then notice things I hate about it after I play for fifteen minutes. Then I'll have to go back and remake my character and I don't know how long that process can last. I never got more than five hours into Oblivion because of that (and because it was boring).

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    And now we're full circle back to who we are going to play as in ME.

First run, default male Sheperd.

Second run, Zapp Brannigan.

Third run, Shaft.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    I'm going to play a woman that looks like a woman and is Commander Shepard.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm still wondering whether Bioware will let our choices that we make in Mass Effect carry over to the next installment. After all it would be pretty nice if at least some of your decisions carry over, giving you the impression that you actually affected the gameworld permanently.

Silpheed on
    edited October 2007
    I know, I sometimes forget when we actually found out about the release date. It doesn't feel like I've been waiting since mid July, but then, once I found out the date, my enthusiasm hasn't been as crippling. I'm sure that will change as we get closer and closer like it always does.

And I want to make a face! I greatly enjoy being able to use character creators like Mass Effect's, though I know I'll be happy with what I come up with after an hour, but then notice things I hate about it after I play for fifteen minutes. Then I'll have to go back and remake my character and I don't know how long that process can last. I never got more than five hours into Oblivion because of that (and because it was boring).

This is pretty much precisely the problem I have whenever I'm making faces. I get reasonably happy with it, then after five minutes of seeing it in motion I restart the game and spend another thirty minutes making totally microscopic adjustments.

It's weird. About this time last year I was just finding the videos and getting all excited. Now we're... well, here.

Edit: Also I am totally making the most scarred woman I can just to spite Bioware.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

Third run, Shaft.

70's Shaft, of Samuel Fucking Jackson Shaft?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Third run, Shaft.

70's Shaft, of Samuel Fucking Jackson Shaft?

First one, then t'other.

Tomanta on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Its best too look at games as a bit of fun, not the item thats going to make you happy forever and solve all your life problems. You end up enjoying all games more with this attitude.

Prohass on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is pretty much precisely the problem I have whenever I'm making faces. I get reasonably happy with it, then after five minutes of seeing it in motion I restart the game and spend another thirty minutes making totally microscopic adjustments.

It's weird. About this time last year I was just finding the videos and getting all excited. Now we're... well, here.

Edit: Also I am totally making the most scarred woman I can just to spite Bioware.

I think the default male Shepard is fine, so that's what I'll be using my first playthrough. He's cute. :winky:

I may have to try and male Christian Bale later, though. Mmmm, Christian Bale. <3

:oops:

Edit: My avatar totally doesn't help the way this looks.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited October 2007
    Prohass wrote: »
    Its best too look at games as a bit of fun, not the item thats going to make you happy forever and solve all your life problems. You end up enjoying all games more with this attitude.

Hello, welcome to the thread.

I would just like to inform you that you're wrong about everything and you've never been right about anything in your life, which is why you're still single and can't seem to shake off your depression, even though you've been trying for years. The antidepressants are supposed to work, but you can never really seem to pull yourself out of your rut.

We know. Self-loathing can do that to a person.

But it's okay. You can stop crying. You can stop getting angry at seemingly nothing and screaming and punching the walls.

It's all okay. Mass Effect is coming out next month.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So does anyone want to make a good OP for the next thread?

bruin on
This discussion has been closed.