As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wood working, metal working, ceramics/pottery, etc.

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Its at a jeweler friends right now getting the stones set into it. I'm looking into taking a week long crash course on stone setting, so I can start doing it myself.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Its at a jeweler friends right now getting the stones set into it. I'm looking into taking a week long crash course on stone setting, so I can start doing it myself.

Take the stone, then take the ring and smash them together with a hammer. That's how it works, right?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    gGDOyQc.jpg?1

New ring. .925 silver, damascus steel 'gem'. Band is forged silver with a hexagonal cross section. Trying to make a ring a day. This one took two, but I'm working about 70 hours a week so I don't have much free time.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Do any one you DIY costume makers have experience in this? I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right type of crafting, but I would love a hat. This hat is not normal, and I think felting is what it is called to shape a hat i the shape I want. I know there are some people who have great experience in crating costumes, so I hope that some of that can help me make a hat.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ok. So this is my first project with woodworking in a very long time.

I decided to go simple but functional for myself, so I made something I've wanted for a very long time, a tie cubby.

I estimated the dimensions off a tie rack I liked online and recreated it in Sketchup
    dMWou4Pl.jpg

I picked simple Pine for the outer edge and went for Red Oak for the egg carton but i mangled this project so bad I had to dark stain everything. A friend of mine owns a glass cutting shop that also has his own woodworking shop built in so we got to work out of his place.

MBdT2gMl.jpg

This was pre-gluing. The egg carton slots were unfortunately too tight and my conatand seperating and reassembling the shelves caused my main horizontal shelf to split all the way down the center. I glued it back together as well as glued the final construct together only to realize after the glue had dried that I'd reversed the board so that it jutted out to one end 1/8 of am inch while coming short on the other side. It caused....problems....
    G8F17jql.jpg

58gENTTl.jpg

But a bit of woodfill and a whole lot of sanding and again using a dark gel stain on the whole thing salvaged the project

9EhmwvOl.jpg

For the back plain again my friend happened to have large aheets of tape backed felt which was perfect for the backwood. I attached that. Stapled the backboard on, cut out the hanging holes and we were finally good to go.

kbqW4R3l.jpg

cvMRlsHl.jpg

qhzye20l.jpg

Now I just need more ties.

bebarce on
    edited July 2015
    Bebarce, even with the problems in construction that looks pretty damn good in the end. It looks nice and square which is surprisingly hard to achieve sometimes.
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Do any one you DIY costume makers have experience in this? I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right type of crafting, but I would love a hat. This hat is not normal, and I think felting is what it is called to shape a hat i the shape I want. I know there are some people who have great experience in crating costumes, so I hope that some of that can help me make a hat.

@DyasAlure I'm not sure we have anyone who visits this thread that does millinery or more generic cosplay construction.

CommunistCow on
    You may have already been asked this, @CommunistCow, but how do you acquire your lumber? Do you purchase it? Hunt down reclamation wood? Head into forests with axes?

The Cubby cost me about 30 dollars in wood from Home Depot, and I know that I basically overspend drastically. I've been tooling around Craigslists Free section looking for giveaway wood, but mostly I've only been finding Pallets and firewood.

For simple basic structural things I just use pine from Home Despot. Honestly, I can't say I've found a lumber yard that had drastically cheaper wood. The smaller 2'x2' or 4'x4' boards will be more expensive per square foot than the large 4'x8' boards that you can then cut down. For exotic woods I use Paxton Lumber in Denver. When I want Beetle Kill pine I go to United Wood Products but it is all rough cut and requires a TON of planing for any large project. This place has so much it allows me to be super picky about the patterns in each board.

You might be able to find some stuff on craigslist but if it is anything like my area it is pretty hard to find good stuff and sometimes you have to drive a ways. I got tired of trying to use reclaimed wood because it was killing my expensive saw blades. I would try and take all the nails out but I would invariably miss a few and it would chip teeth off the saw blade. If you do decide to use something like pallet wood please go do some research on how to find safe ones. Many of them have tons of chemicals sprayed on them which makes them dangerous to work with and not good to have indoors.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    @DyasAlure I've done some felt work if you're still looking for resources on this!

What sort of hat is it?

Bebarce, even with the problems in construction that looks pretty damn good in the end. It looks nice and square which is surprisingly hard to achieve sometimes.

@DyasAlure I'm not sure we have anyone who visits this thread that does millinery or more generic cosplay construction.

Thank you for the response. I wasn't sure where to go, but hey. I don't care as much for cosplay, as more millinery. I want a functional hat, not a costume.
    @DyasAlure I've done some felt work if you're still looking for resources on this!

What sort of hat is it?

Well I want to learn to make a top hat. I have researched wet felting, and think that is what I want to learn. As for shape, I am going to be making my own block, as it is an abnormal shape. Anyway, I will message you via PM more info.

As for woodworking, I'm half way done creating a mobile for my son. Nothing fancy, just some basic shapes (12) to hang at the end of t's using a middle lap joint. The t's are going to be suspended from a cross using a cross lap joint. I have all the pieces just, glued, sanded, and are ready to be painted. For looks, and a small amount of more sturdy maybe, I am adding a brass bolt to each joint and going to try and sink the nuts and heads into the wood so it is smooth. I did all the work with a small band saw, skill saw, rasp, and sand paper.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    I was thinking myself about looking into cosplay armor a bit. I've got 3 panels of EVA foam, roughly 2x2 squares. I've been watching a lot of Evil Ted videos https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40 for guidance but haven't decided yet what I would construct just yet. My daughters are interested in cosplay and superheroes (5 and 7) so I'm thinking about trying my hand at building them Big Hero 6 armor.

On woodworking, this coming Monday (my woodworking day I'll be working a project I'd started but put aside when I started working on the tie cubby. Basically it'll be a hanging collapsible table for my office.

@bebarce I enrolled in a full year wood class while I was getting my BFA in metals. I dealt mostly with a pleasant but eccentric guy who ran his own tree removal service. The other side of his business was a saw mill he operated chopping up the problem trees he removed. He never felled a good tree, only trees taken down by storms or in impending danger of falling over/damaging a home. My school was smack dab in the middle of a national forest, so there was plenty of wood around. If you were interested in continuing wood projects, and have access to proper tools to mill your wood down, you may want to look around for a local saw mill.

Here is a picture of one of my wood pieces:
    Butcher block, hickory, spalted hard maple, sassafras (all felled within 50 miles of my school)
    HO2Vv8Z.jpg

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited August 2015
    So I said that I would post about my project so here I go.

I have a cross that is the main part to my project.
    Thumb%2020150730_152127060_iOS.jpg?psid=1

That is the main part in the middle. At the end of each cross you see the T's. those will be suspended down from each end. At the end of each of the three ends of the T I will suspend one of the shapes. When I laid everything out to pain today, I realized I lost one of my shapes. I will have to cut another one out.

So the t used a middle lap joint (What I found it called on internet). First I used the band saw to cut out half of the end to the depth how wide the firing was. For the middle part, I again used the band saw, but cut thin strips, broke them off, and sanded with a rasp. I didn't finish sand, as the joint was going to be glued together, and not visible. After they dried, I put wood putty around all the parts of the joint filling in any gaps. I did finish sand the final piece after the putty had dried.

For the cross I used a cross lap. I did the thin strip with both pieces for this one. One, I did not quite get right, so I used a rasp to roughly sand it till they fit. It was a tight fit, but that was fine with me. Again I used putty and finish sanded.

Close ups of joint:
    I was able to get them half painted with the base coat today. I need to flip them, and paint the other half of the base coat. White is not the final color, my wife has picked out bright colors my son might enjoy.

Thumb%2020150730_155245487_iOS.jpg?psid=1

Edit:
    So don't want to double up posts. Here is an update. I put in the holes for the brass bolts, but I don't have a counter sink. I used a paddle pit to make the bolts and nuts sunken, but it was to big. I used wood putty to fill the holes to the perfect size. I will continue painting once it dries and I sand it back down.

Thumb%2020150731_160829819_iOS.jpg?psid=1

Edit 2:

See below for link to full size images if you want. I hope I solved the issue with the images.

DyasAlure on
    xiFNacS.jpg?1

Another ring. .925 silver with silicon bronze/steel gemstone

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited August 2015
    @DyasAlure none of those image links work.

CommunistCow on
    edited August 2015
    They all worked when I posted them. Microsoft is starting to aggravate me. I have had hit and miss on the links to public pictures not showing up. . . "( I will try and get them back up. I don't think I can get to it tonight though.

Oh, and my sig randomly stops work because of the same issue to.

edit:
    Wood Working - Son Mobile

I think this will work? it is a public folder, until I figure out why onedrive is not playing nice, maybe that will work? I just have all the pictures in that folder.

Not woodworking related, but is OneDrive keeps doing this, I hate to dry and move everything I have there somewhere were it works.

DyasAlure on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can just upload images straight to the forums.

edited August 2015
    So I'm almost done with my hanging table. Just need to shellac it, add a stop, and hang it in my office.

This was my "actual" first project which I started but then put to the side after thinking up my tie cubby.

The original design was probably not well thought out.
    2MJdKK5l.png
    The full half circle would be too big for my office, and too large besides for a single hinge. Plus originally I'd designed a single bar which would have had too much weight on it.
    I pretty much made a change on the fly using paint can's as my stencil to cut out the curve on a more rectangular table.
    pXdqJDVl.jpg
    Since it was now longer than it was wider, I knew I'd need to also extend the bar support out further even if it meant that it would be visible from behind the table top when folded.
    So I changed up for both support and style and changed the bar into that odd shaped support you see there, so that I tack on two hinges. Now it feels super sturdy. I ended up having to paint the post black since the Ebony stain seemed to not want to stick to the wood at all.
    styS0UOl.jpg

JOac1avl.jpg

I'll drill it into a post at work. It feels pretty sturdy.

bebarce on
  • DonkaiserDonkaiser Registered User new member
    My family is into furniture making. I was surprised that there are also makers who are very artistic when it comes to furniture making. :) thumbs up!

bebarce wrote: »
    The full half circle would be too big for my office, and too large besides for a single hinge. Plus originally I'd designed a single bar which would have had too much weight on it.
    I pretty much made a change on the fly using paint can's as my stencil to cut out the curve on a more rectangular table.

This is the appropriate way to design things. None of this google sketchup crap. ;)
    Pencil and paper is the most complicated you are allowed to go.

My mobile which is in the painting process was done 100% pencil on the wood, cut. This led to the T's not being uniform, but meh. I kept it. Didn't re cut new wood. Not considering that 1.5" will get eaten from the base of the T when I do a Lap joint. Learning experience.

edited August 2015
    qA5PwF8.jpg?1

14k white gold, .925 silver mokume gane engagement ring
    Pear shaped sapphire, 10 diamonds.

She said yes.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    qA5PwF8.jpg?1

14k white gold, .925 silver mokume gane engagement ring
    Pear shaped sapphire, 10 diamonds.

She said yes.

I clicked awesome, but I wanted to click shiny! as well. Congratz.

edited August 2015
    So my big problem is that I can only do my woodworking projects once a week for 2-3 hours at a time at most. So when I'm doing things like waiting for polyurethane to dry enough so that I can sand it before reapplying, I end up spending the entire weeks worth of woodworking project waiting.

So I'm going to try to have several projects going on at once at all times. 2-3 tops. So I got two more coats of poly for my floating table, but I think I'm ready to start working on my next project. A 3 bottled candy dispenser for my girls. I've done them all up in SketchUp. Going to use pine because it's cheap.

ZpBAMoAl.png
    Drew in some cutaways so I can get an idea of inner dimensions.

HJ5QNLAh.png

1wlPmdoh.png

wGcuEjjh.png

ehMapivh.png

edit: Err sorry this is a 2-inch circular cut out that should be centered within each "bottle cap" cut out, that I forgot to draw in.

bebarce on
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    A new belt made for myself. Accidentally mistook a bottle of surface color for being the in-depth color, and applied it to the whole leather :| . Thus the color is easily scratched off from tear and wear faster than usual. Tried to apply some in-depth color, but it couldn't get past the surface color layer.

I still like it, though, and wear it almost every day :)
    11865364_931994940180097_6304656542931828904_o.jpg

906087_931994926846765_6480227284097842771_o.jpg

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    A key holder I made for a family member :) :
    12047018_10207700149480802_1373681062242519943_n.jpg?oh=96ff8e3ee179a5af08c3924e0a75283b&oe=569B6454

5U0CMmm.jpg

Heres a portable jewelers bench I've been working on for a while. Took a folding saw horse, with adjustable legs, glued a couple pieces of mahogany I had together with 3/8" allthread to hold them together.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    Trying a new technique out called Keum-Boo. It is an ancient Korean gilding technique which uses heat and pressure to fuse 24k gold foil to a fine silver substrate.

qESTFUj.jpg?1
    Gold foil applied
    HknQk18.jpg?1
    After first heating and burnishing
    MYOvaTe.jpg?1
    Before/after
    3Pt0MQl.jpg?1
    Close up of treated areas.

Bonus explanation of how it works:

Fine silver (.999% pure) and 24k gold (.999% pure) <3 eachother. They are very similar metals. The problem with fine silver is it is SUPER soft, so most jewelry benefits from being made from sterling silver, which is .925% pure, the added bit of copper makes it a bit more durable. The problem with that is, the 24k gold will not bind as easily with sterling silver, because of the added copper, this is where depletion gilding comes in. The goal is to remove the copper from the surface of the piece. Through repeated heating and 'pickling' (an acid bath to remove tarnish/clean metal) you can remove the copper, leaving a small layer of .999% pure silver. The sterling silver needs to be brought though this process 5-10 times to give a substantial layer of fine silver to bond the 24k gold to. BOOM.

Now all you need is a little heat and pressure. Heating the silver to about 500 deg F and light burnishing on the 24k with a smooth stylus will fuse the two materials together.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Forbe!

Fucking awesome, man.

Could you apply it more delicately, and use it to define the feather a bit? Or is the loose application unavoidable (or intentional) ?

Yeah, I totally can. I want to get a little more detailed with it, this was my first go. The limit is how easily you can manipulate the gold foil, which is about 0.0036068mm thick. It tears really easily, and likes to bunch up on itself making it hard to move where you want it, especially when you're working over a 500F hot plate. The convection from the hot plate is enough to cause the air to move the foil around. I found a really nice resource run by the US Fish and Wildlife service: The Feather Atlas. You guys might have some use for that.

I traced the outline of the feather in illustrator, from the image linked (3rd feather). You can see the lines I made to denote the change in color on the feather, which is where I applied the Keum-Boo. I'd like to try some more complicated patterning

d9qftd6bqf61.png

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    I've played with gold foil at school and its annoying in any application, so adding heat to the equation just sounds like the worst. That feather atlas is cool as hell, though.

edited October 2015
    Finally mounted up that table. I'm liking it!

3rb2qjhl.jpg

rwZnXjzl.jpg

Z0C8dfpl.jpg

bebarce on
  • MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    This is some very neat stuff in here. Tought i throw in some of my work in here. I work mostly as a sculpture/welder/carpenter in movies and some times large scale steel scrutures. Photo are of terrible quality because, who has time for that. Iv been doing this for almost 10 years and i slack on the record keeping department, so here are some picture of a few things iv done.

this was all aluminium i bent, welded, sanded, re-sanded, re-re-sanded polished and then some more welding, fun times.
    1381811_10154634435740481_5268677971558475844_n.jpg?oh=01eddec089e06a8b8570cfc4956f8bf3&oe=56C7A136

stainless steel fountain, was a pain to get all the mechanical parts working, because of its own weight it would move bend out of alignment. Some fun tig mirror welding too.
    885903_10154634440780481_1610006315543739679_o.jpg

An aluminium interactive sculpture i did for the Quebec national library.
    ZP2HcfW.jpg

me welding some staircase i had to re plaster after.
    1453380_880635908620760_1178160794487852459_n.jpg?oh=dab9d75278fa8da2cc6cc8a42aa5ee8f&oe=56B35539

some wall i did from some big movie production that i cant name, because you could club a seal with the nda document they made me sign. i have allot more less generic things i did for that movie, that i wouldn't dare posting here because im sure they have under close watch.
    https://goo.gl/photos/zvhXfoLjSQLcB91x5

one of the head of a 70 feet high dragon being installed in china right now.
    ROF7tpz.jpg

the mold for one of the pieces for the dragon.
    fBc0ev4.jpg

me working away on a moustache.
    oELhVHT.jpg

still enjoying myself, even if thats fiber glass all up in my face.
    IU2czS5.jpg

some christmas decorations.
    lfo2ob8.jpg

Iruka wrote: »
    I've played with gold foil at school and its annoying in any application, so adding heat to the equation just sounds like the worst. That feather atlas is cool as hell, though.

that dragon, i did is covered completely in 22 karat gold leaf, the painters that took care of that swear themselves to the grave.
    imgur.com/a/o3Ipv

That is some friken amazing stuff. I would love to see more photos. So be better at documenting things, you know, for your internet friends. :D

edited November 2015
    Marslo wrote: »
    some wall i did from some big movie production that i cant name, because you could club a seal with the nda document they made me sign. i have allot more less generic things i did for that movie, that i wouldn't dare posting here because im sure they have under close watch.

Most of the stuff I work on at my job is large scale interior stair railings/ornamental metal for institutions/private residences. ($2,000+ linear foot). Sadly, the ones I am most proud of are covered by a blanket NDA by a large religious institution based out of Utah.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    All this talk of NDA, I have seen stuff my brother does, and helped very little on small things. But he works on movies, and most the time I don't know what it is he is showing me.

I remember one time I saw a photo, and all I got was "it is for your boss". I still don't know what that was used for, but than I have a signed NDA for where I work.

On your work though, from the pictures posted, it is great. I only do small scale things in comparison. My next project, I want to make a holder for ceran wrap. I could buy one, but that wouldn't be as fun. Nothing as big as that head though. I have also wanted to learn to weld, but never have.

Marslo wrote: »

Most of the stuff I work on at my job is large scale interior stair railings/ornamental metal for institutions/private residences. ($2,000+ linear foot). Sadly, the ones I am most proud of are covered by a blanket NDA by a large religious institution based out of Utah.

When i started i remenber one of the older guys telling me, you can write what ever the hell you want on a cv, but pictures speak volumes on what you can do.
    Its hard not being able to keep, even in a small way, something you gave blood, sweat and part of your life too.
    I have also wanted to learn to weld, but never have.

Welding is easy, its just take some practice. Welding aesthetically, with proper penetration and fusion, plus understanding the mechanical strength of your weld or how heat affects what your welding. That's a different story.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Cross-posting this from the SE forum's art thread:

808as5joxk39.jpg

Just finished this bad boy! It's got an LED light screwed into the top shelf, and a power strip mounted to the side. It's pretty rough but it's my first real woodworking project, and I'm very happy with it! Very solid, at least. :D

you should take some pics of other angles. Looks like a pretty rugged desk. Are you going to run the cables along it so they arent hanging?