As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Well, to be fair, I did kill your father

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJfe7Z86sw

this game looks dope as fuck

also @berk

cant wait for this

also looks sorta interesting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4EWdcoSpAo

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Demon Souls+Diablo 3/16bit graphx=very yes

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Boss rush shooter game? Is Cuphead the secret Contra game I've been waiting for?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Boss rush shooter game? Is Cuphead the secret Contra game I've been waiting for?

cuphead looks very similar to contra.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    In the original Crimson Skies game there was a thing where if you got shot down your pilot would attempt to parachute out of the plane (your support gunner, if you had one, did nothing, but eh, it was a 2000 game). And if your pilot failed to get out of your plane before it hit the ground you were notified that your pilot died. This didn't have any effect on the game, you'd already lost after you were shot down. It did the same thing in multiplayer, but a kill was a kill, your pilot's survival or death didn't give or subtract any points.

But what if a game had this feature and used it? What if a player only had a set amount of lives? In my mind it would encourage players to fly low and around objects and buildings to force the enemy players into risky positions where they might have a fatal crash. Or maybe, if a pilot successfully parachuted out the other players could attempt to shoot the pilot on the way down, although that seems like it might be a bit brutal for CS's high flying heroics.

Reminds me a little of Steel Battalion. It had an eject button.

If you didn't use it, the game would erase your save.

Strange game.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    In the original Crimson Skies game there was a thing where if you got shot down your pilot would attempt to parachute out of the plane (your support gunner, if you had one, did nothing, but eh, it was a 2000 game). And if your pilot failed to get out of your plane before it hit the ground you were notified that your pilot died. This didn't have any effect on the game, you'd already lost after you were shot down. It did the same thing in multiplayer, but a kill was a kill, your pilot's survival or death didn't give or subtract any points.

But what if a game had this feature and used it? What if a player only had a set amount of lives? In my mind it would encourage players to fly low and around objects and buildings to force the enemy players into risky positions where they might have a fatal crash. Or maybe, if a pilot successfully parachuted out the other players could attempt to shoot the pilot on the way down, although that seems like it might be a bit brutal for CS's high flying heroics.

Strange game.

Steel Battalion always looked and sounded so cool, I wish I'd been able to play it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    clockwork empires is a citybuilder still in early access and already very enjoyable

@WeedLordVegeta everything I heard about clockwork empires makes it sound like it's a) hell of broken and b) like its existing issues are often left unaddressed while the devs focus on adding new features

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion

I forget the details since I never owned it myself, but if you were failing a mission it was really important that you ejected properly and early enough (so you don't die in the reactor explosion or something, for example). I want to say you lost your save if you didn't make it? Otherwise you could keep trying missions as many times as you had the supplies for. I think. The control pad that it was bundled with was awesome for immersion, too.

edit: aww, I didn't notice there was another page and got beat by like 4 hours :p

Ranlin on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    man

maaaaaaaan

there should be a new Crimson Skies game

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    clockwork empires is a citybuilder still in early access and already very enjoyable

@WeedLordVegeta everything I heard about clockwork empires makes it sound like it's a) hell of broken and b) like its existing issues are often left unaddressed while the devs focus on adding new features
    The first thing is certainly true but I think the game has charm to make up for it

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    So it turns out, The Witness is apparently in bugfixing and polishing mode at the moment. It might actually get released one day!

broken image link
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So it turns out, The Witness is apparently in bugfixing and polishing mode at the moment. It might actually get released one day!

Holy crap.

I forgot that existed.

Again.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    i'm just going to leave this sonic hack here and let y'all enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8WpZQHvWqw

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Did someone mention

MTmlS.gif

Sonic Dreams

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Patrick Klepek is the man I trust to guide (?) me through Sonic Dreams
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pspXbnO1Q

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

There are totally flight sim games that do this.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Strange game.

Steel Battalion always looked and sounded so cool, I wish I'd been able to play it.

I still have Steel Battalion's controller, the box, and my original Xbox so I can play it every two years or so. I just couldn't part with it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    it was cute patrick thought it was a stomach he was walking through

also a shame he missed out on big the cat, and tails in the cake

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Well, better to catch it now than after release.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    true, it's just frustrating because this is the second "oh shit, something went wrong at the last second and we have to delay another week" in a row

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    true, it's just frustrating because this is the second "oh shit, something went wrong at the last second and we have to delay another week" in a row

As someone who's had the misfortune of going through 1st-party QA testing and had completely separate game-breaking issues arise in rounds 1, 2, and 3 of testing, I can assure you the dev is just as frustrated.

Final code submission is a goddamn nightmare.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Well, better to catch it now than after release.

If only Arkham Knight had done this

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Pretty cool that various shit in the level not only breaks, but gradually breaks! :)
    Also, those casings

Panda4You on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Every time I've played this I don't know what the fuck is going on or what I'm doing. It's very pretty though and sounds nice. I'll load it up when I get home and check out the new update.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    man

maaaaaaaan

there should be a new Crimson Skies game

there won't be because god is dead

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    and gamers killed him

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    It's what all those JRPGs trained them for.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    God-murder simulators.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    that trailer did little to sell me on the story or gameplay, but credit where credit is due: illuminascii is a wonderful name

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I grabbed They Bleed Pixels on sale, and this game is fuuuucking brutal

Still haven't made it through the second level

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

The pattern is just on the sleeve though, so it's not going to spin around as it plays.
    That little revelation should lose some customers and buy me some time..

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

The pattern is just on the sleeve though, so it's not going to spin around as it plays.

Well, yeah, if it's a full 12-inch, it wouldn't fit on most record players if the record itself was hexagonal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Well, yeah, if it's a full 12-inch, it wouldn't fit on most record players if the record itself was hexagonal.

Nah, the record is a hex, but the arrow and level aren't on the disc.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Watching the Everyone's Gone to the Rapture Quick Look. I don't think I can handle that walk speed. The one with R2 held down is OK, but that sounds annoying on its own. I think I'll pass.

This discussion has been closed.