As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently they're planning on opening up the beta for previous subscribes "in the coming weeks"

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2015
    imdointhis wrote: »
    I remember getting yelled at in this thread when I was saying this should have f2p from launch.
    Because income model means absolute dick if your game is garbage.

FFXIV is RIGHT THERE doing a subscription model and is doing just fine.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Something I noticed in those early levels was that everything feels... faster, somehow?

Maybe it was from sprinting everywhere, or that it was because I was level 7 or 8, but combat just moves super quick, things die faster, etc.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Things dying faster would be a big step up - a lot of trash mobs just took way too long - no I do not think random mook #2745 should get to do his big threatening telegraph five times before dying. Not when I'm killing twenty of the bastards.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Since they regiggered the stats, chances are you are killing things fast. And one of the more recent patches increased exp gain in early levels.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Things dying faster would be a big step up - a lot of trash mobs just took way too long - no I do not think random mook #2745 should get to do his big threatening telegraph five times before dying. Not when I'm killing twenty of the bastards.

Things have always died quickly. If he's doing the telegraph, you hit your interrupt and get a giant damage boost. Most trash shouldn't get to do more than 1 ability, and depending on the class you play they may not even get that much.

• Options
    Would love to get into this beta soon. Cmon carbine with the old player invites (or just a normal invite)

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Busted out the Engineer, and while I may be rusty as hell, the old Energy Augur/Bio Shell build feels a little off. Not sure if some cooldowns got buffed, but felt a little cooldown-starved after firing those two.

I think Energy Augur being insta-cast is new, right?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    is Energy augur the one where the guns spins up ? if so than yeah if its insta cast now thats defiatnly new.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Well I have the game reinstalling right now to eventually try it out again. I saw mention that Lockdown is now part of the game pretty much? Mouselook for combat was SO GOOD. I also look forward to not having to buy that stupidly rare EMP(or whatever they were called) for my spellslinger.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Well I have the game reinstalling right now to eventually try it out again. I saw mention that Lockdown is now part of the game pretty much? Mouselook for combat was SO GOOD. I also look forward to not having to buy that stupidly rare EMP(or whatever they were called) for my spellslinger.

Trigger Fingers?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So how are the rare amps handled now? Is it still rare drops and they are just all more easilly found now or did they make another way of getting them?

Also wasn't trigger fingers nerfed?

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    all amps are unlocked and ready for points to be put in them. No collecting needed from what I understood.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Oh thank GOD thats amazing. Along with the giving more points to spend early.

Was looking at a builder and they really did some cool things with warrior skills from what I last remember.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Trigger Fingers?

Yeah, most definitely that one. Though I vaguely remember there was a second one that was also pretty rare but not quite as expensive.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Find it fucking hilarious that it took a year for them to add a sell junk button.

Also, Bashiok from WoW is working for NCSoft now? Weird.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »

Trigger Fingers?

Yeah, most definitely that one. Though I vaguely remember there was a second one that was also pretty rare but not quite as expensive.

There was but we can't remember it because nothing was even NEAR trigger fingers. The next one was prolly 1/3 - 1/4 the price of TF.

Looking at the char builders is making me really wanna get into this again. I liked how this game was the closest to the old levels of WoW character building and was also pretty good at being ambitious about what your options are. No other game out there has really done that, and WS also has combat that sucks you in to boot.

I just REALLLLLY hope going F2P gets some people into pvp so queues pop.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Find it fucking hilarious that it took a year for them to add a sell junk button.

Between him and Caydiem, all they need now is Tseric to join the crew and then I can just encase myself in carbonite for all time.

Beezel on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Beezel wrote: »

Between him and Caydiem, all they need now is Tseric to join the crew and then I can just encase myself in carbonite for all time.

I don't know who any of these people are... so I'm not sure if your comment is a good thing or a bad thing. =p

EDIT - I DO know a few weeks back I saw people upset because some Carbine dude was now at Blizzard and I got the vibe everyone thought he was terrible at his job (whatever that may be).

vamen on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, Frost went from Carbine to Double Helix and then back to Blizzard in a pretty short amount of time.

• Options
    Caydiem and Bashiok were high profile members of WoW's CM team for a time. Tseric was also a part of that team and is most famous for having a highly visible public meltdown concerning the emotional toll his job had taken on him.

Caydiem now works at Carbine and was responsible for some of the content people actually liked, namely the shiphands. Also designed the holiday stuff that sadly ended up getting cancelled due to the thousand bugs the game had.

Bashiok works with Blade and Soul now and I think is a design producer at NCsoft?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Ah ha, thanks for all that info, I didn't know about any of this.

olNt6k9.jpg

EDIT - I read up on that Tseric meltdown. Yikes. I can sympathize though... this is one of the few forums I think is full of good folks and that I enjoy. I struggle to tolerate forums/comments anywhere else online, let alone something as vile as the Wow forums. I can't imagine dealing with that jive.

vamen on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    vamen wrote: »
    EDIT - I DO know a few weeks back I saw people upset because some Carbine dude was now at Blizzard and I got the vibe everyone thought he was terrible at his job (whatever that may be).
    Well, his job was Design Producer for Wildstar, and seeing that the game is not even making 10% of what Guild Wars 2 makes I think it's safe to say he was pretty goddamn awful at his job.

People are a bit miffed that the guy who was part of a giant fuckup basically got rewarded by getting a job with one of the most desired companies in the industry.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Totally understandable!

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Well, his job was Design Producer for Wildstar, and seeing that the game is not even making 10% of what Guild Wars 2 makes I think it's safe to say he was pretty goddamn awful at his job.

People are a bit miffed that the guy who was part of a giant fuckup basically got rewarded by getting a job with one of the most desired companies in the industry.

In the games industry, producers are the people doing scheduling. So as a the 'design producer' he was doing scheduling for the design team, not actually designing or leading the team

• Options
    Explain a bit, because from what I've heard about Wildstar's development that does not do him any favors.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    A producer in video games would have responsibilities like this:

Acting as a liaison between the development staff and the upper stakeholders (publisher or executive staff)
    Developing and maintaining schedules and budgets
    Ensuring timely delivery of deliverables (such as milestones)
    Scheduling timely quality assurance (testing)
    Arranging for beta testing and focus groups, if applicable
    Arranging for localization

A producer wouldn't individually do ALL of those things, as there is usually a team of producers of varying pay grades. They can be anything from doing stuff like managing scrum/standup or other task management stuff for singular teams (which the title 'Design Producer' implies) or as much as doing scheduling for the entire game and working with executives or publishers (which would be more like an 'Executive Producer' position)

Basically they don't actually have creative power other than having close contact with the actual creative heads.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    And to be fair, it's pretty clear in the post-mortem that Carbine had good people working on the game who were horribly managed...which would have been his job. He was too busy enjoying his rock star fame and wasting time on quirky videos to actually do his job.

He was also the face of the "hardcore rulez" facet of the brand (which contributed to his rock star ego). Whether or not he fairly deserved that label, when it was cool he road that horse as hard as he could. And when things went south quickly after launch, he jettisoned as soon as possible.

At least in my mind that's how it went down and why no one likes Frost. He's pretty much a no-talent blowhard and a coward. Sorry, did I type that out loud?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    In a moment of boredom I reactivated for a month.

So, this new holo-wardrobe. Do you unlock item appearance per character or is it account-wide?

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    In a moment of boredom I reactivated for a month.

So, this new holo-wardrobe. Do you unlock item appearance per character or is it account-wide?

Account wide, but some of the faction specific items will have a different appearance on the other faction. I've unlocked the dominion commander renown gear on my Cassian Esper but sadly I can't equip them on my Aurin Stalker. It looks like the exile side equipment instead of the dominion.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Huh, it doesn't unlock the actual model, but the specific item. So you can have several identical-looking items in the wardrobe. Silly thing I hope they change.

• Options
    Still hoping they drop me a beta invite, I wanna fiddle with shit on the ptr so bad.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I wanna fiddle with shit

clips4sale has gotcha fuckin covered dawg

• Options
    I'm fiddling with a stalker and a medic I the ptr. One branch storyline in the level 6 zone will cover you to 14 with no real reason to touch the secondary one. had all my skill slots unlocked by then with skills to fill them. Shit felt nice. There's daily rewards for logging in, usually a grab bag or some such. the big rewards seem to be mounts and cosmetics which is fine.

When you first load the game in you're presented with three options: new to mmos, new to Wildstar, veteran something something.

First sends you to a tutorial that teaches you how to move and the second one gives you the full Wildstar intro ark ship thing. The last one plops you down at level 3 in your pre-determined questing zone with a bag full of starter loot.

• Options
    Actually thinking of shelving my engineer and going stalker when f2p drops. I find myself liking the play style a lot more now that I know what their toolkit contains and Leveling those first 15 don't feel like a slog.

• Options
    I am heavilly interested in trying an esper but the warrior changed so much I could be plenty happy with my previous 50. Warrior DPS is certainly nowhere near as mindless as it used to be.

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    And to be fair, it's pretty clear in the post-mortem that Carbine had good people working on the game who were horribly managed...which would have been his job. He was too busy enjoying his rock star fame and wasting time on quirky videos to actually do his job.

He was also the face of the "hardcore rulez" facet of the brand (which contributed to his rock star ego). Whether or not he fairly deserved that label, when it was cool he road that horse as hard as he could. And when things went south quickly after launch, he jettisoned as soon as possible.

At least in my mind that's how it went down and why no one likes Frost. He's pretty much a no-talent blowhard and a coward. Sorry, did I type that out loud?
    My favorite story is that devs heard about Warplots when the public did.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    yeah Gaffney blurted it out in an interview and I can just kinda see the dev team back in the office kinda going "What the fuck is a warplot?"

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    yeah Gaffney blurted it out in an interview and I can just kinda see the dev team back in the office kinda going "What the fuck is a warplot?"

Dev 1: "Did he just say warplots? The fuck is that?"
    Dev 2: "Nah, I think he said warp lots. Y'know, like fast travel I think?"
    Dev 3: "I checked out the Wildstar sub-reddit guys, apparently they're guild vs. guild battlegrounds with custom fortresses."
    Dev 1&2: "...shit."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Gaffney didn't create the concept on the spot, there had been talk about the idea internally at Carbine. But at the "What would be a neat idea?" level.

Wildstar had a lot stuff that existed at the idea/early implementation stage, but didn't make it for one reason or the other. Off the top of my head, There was originally going to be 2 or 3 times as many zones while leveling(multiple leveling paths!), 1 or 2 whole classes cut or merged into others, fishing(with a cannon no less), and all kinds of minor things(items, housing decor) that are/were in the data files but not accessible for one reason or the other. Wildstar had been in development for 8 years and under at least two names and iterations with wildly different mechanics, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Warplots was in that stage and in that group of content, up till Gaffney publicly announced it in the interview without even discussing it with anyone. Only a few people had even talked about it at the time, so 95% of the people at Carbine didn't even hear about before. But acknowledging that the CEO and head of the whole studio directing the game didn't know what he was talking about and contradicting him would have been bad press and destroyed confidence in the game, so they had to commit.