As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Girlfriend might have herpes

anonywhoanonywho Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I woke up to a text this morning from my girlfriend saying she might have herpes and it would mean me too. She was in the ER cause she couldn't take the pain from it, but they said it might be a reaction to something. Now I don't know how this might have happened since we're each other's first, and we just did oral and nothing else. How would I go about getting tested without my parents knowing since they would kill me if I tell them.

anonywho on

• Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Depends on where you are (what country, what state, urban/rural?) and how old you are. You might want to look up STD clinics in your area first.

edit: http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/support/std_clinics.htm what the hell, there's a worldwide list here to start with.

Synthetic Orange on
  • anonywhoanonywho Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    US, new jersey, 18. Would Google help me with that?

anonywho on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Calm down, herpes isn't a "massive" deal. It'd be unfortunate, yes, but it's not a massive deal.

Where are you located? If you're in the UK then just call in to any number of walk in centres, explain the situation and ask to be tested. They'll do it and phone you back (just pass them your mobile number), they're very discreet and won't mention a thing to your parents.

And herpes can be transferred orally and can even be caught (albeit rarely) when using contraception. It's an STD that whilst treatable doesn't ever actually leave the body. Some people never ever feel the affects of it (so potentially you could actually have given it to your gf) whereas some people suffer quite badly. It can re-occur after you've caught it, but re-occurances normally become less frequent with time and are usually less painful each time (if painful at all).

If you do have herpes, don't freak out about it. In future (for example with future partners, if any) just use a condom. You can still have unprotected sex but you shouldn't if you feel ANY of the symptoms at all. Even if you're not suffering the symptoms it's still slightly possible to pass it on due to flaking (I think it's called).

As I said though, don't freak out. A good proportion of people actually have herpes and don't realise, being that herpes is just a coldsore. There are two types, one is more prevelant in the downstairs area, whereas the other is more often found around the mouth. It is possible to pass either version on via unprotected oral sex, so potentially if you've had a coldsore on your mouth, this may have been what has happened.

The most important thing is just to calm down, get tested and find out if you do or don't have it.

::edit:: Sorry, wrote all that before I found out you were in the USA

Oh and another thing, just because she has it, doesn't mean you have it. As I mentioned it could have been passed on from your mouth (Big wow, you have oral herpes, or coldsores, so do thousands of others so don't worry) OR sometimes herpes can incubate for an awfully long time. Married men who have been 100% faithful can come down with it despite their wife not having it. It can have been there for years and only shown it's face now.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited October 2007
    It's alright, but how would I have gotten it before? Like from my parents?

anonywho on
    edited October 2007
    Copied and pasted:
    How do you get cold sores?

Nearly nine out of 10 Americans are infected with the cold sore virus at some point in their lives. Most of us pick up the virus through sharing food with or kissing someone who has a cold sore. However, you can also get infected from someone who doesn't have a visible sore, because some infected people have the virus in their saliva even when they don't have cold sores. Once you get the virus, it stays in your body for good, hiding in nerve cells near your ear.

I've just re-read your first post a bit better as I'm an idiot and missed out an important bit, you're each other's firsts. I would hedge my bets if she does have herpes, you have it orally and have accidentally passed it on. The chance of you actually having genital herpes, to be honest, is pretty slim.

I'm no expert on this but I went through something almost exactly the same as you nearly two years back!

If you don't have it, and your girlfriend does, it's very important you help her through it. Whilst it's not that serious a thing, it can play heavily on someone's mind.

Mr_Grinch on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Herpes is pretty commonly spread through daycares though not as much now as when most of us were kids.

stigweard on
  • JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have to agree with the Grinch. Herpes is treated like a scarlet letter these days, but it is not as massive a thing as the public makes it out to be. if it does turn out to be the STD variety of Herpes (as opposed to say cold sores or Chicken Pox) you can live a completly normal and sexual life with the assitence of medications and responsible living.

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    If this is the first time she's ever experienced it, I'm banking on "you guys are probably freaking out, there's a variety of things this could be," especially since the people at the hospital didn't even know what it was and there is no likely way that this would have happened recently.

Doc on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=173&sectionId=1

All you ever need to know it seems.

Good to see my NI tax money is being spent well for once.

(also, asking medical advice on a forum? bad idea)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited October 2007
    I know it's not a good idea asking for medical advice but I will get tested, she got tested today and we're waiting for the results, I'm gonna go when she gets her results back because I don't wanna waste money(which I don't have) on it if I don't have to.

The thing is, hers was "down there" so that's what's really worrying me, I've never had a cold sore in my life. I've never seen any sign of it. Is it really possible for it to be that hidden for 18 years that we both did not see ANY signs?

And this is kind of off topic but she asked me today what I would do if she had it and I didn't. I really didn't have an answer, I don't think I could deal with that. Anyone have experience with that?

anonywho on
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    You can't get tested for genital herpes unless you have visible sores that they can take a little sample from.

At least thats what I got told at the clinic I went to.

Edit: and according to all those valtrex commericials you can have a perfectly fine sexual relationship with someone who has herpes while you dont have it.

aesir on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    You can't get tested for genital herpes unless you have visible sores that they can take a little sample from.

At least thats what I got told at the clinic I went to.

Yes, you need a sore. If you don't have one, they can't take anything from it. If you see anything on your cock, go to the doctor straight away so they can get a bit and send it off, before the flare-up disappears again.

Lewisham on
  • SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    First off, and not to make light of the situation, but I think that was an awesome thread topic. It's an attention getter.
    Secondly. I think that the most important thing to remember at this point is DO NOT freak out. Everything that is done is done, and freaking about isn't going to make it any better/worse. Pretty much any male past the ago of 20 has had the joy of this experience (that or the "am I pregnant" ride) and I personally feel that I never made it better by freaking out. I think that the best thing you can do is take a minute, take a breather, and start to get a plan together. Step 1 on this plan should be do not do shit before you actually know if you have got something to worry about or not. Imagine how much of a jackass you'll feel like if you blow up on her and say hurtful things just to later learn that it was a mixup.
    You've got plenty of good advice from the people her in the forum, but like I said, priority 1 should be figuring out if you even have something to worry about.
    After you get past that, and if you need to, then talk to the people where you get tested. This is nothing new to them, and they can probably recommend some really good resources for you and your sig other.
    Either way, keep a cool head about it, realize that this isn't a death sentance, and try not to make any choices that you'll regret later.
    One other thing. Remember that as much as this feels like god is taking a shit on you, she has got to feel the same way. Try and be considerate about her feelings and make sure that at the end of all this you haven't done anything that added to her feeling of hurt.

Good luck.

SigmaCondition on
    edited October 2007
    Pretty much any male past the ago of 20 has had the joy of this experience (that or the "am I pregnant" ride)

I've had both in the last two months. GO ME.

Lewisham on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah. My favorite part is that your brain comes up with the idea that if you only buy 1 test it might be wrong. So what does it say to do? Buy 5 of em!
    And those things ain't cheap. I hate those phone calls.

Me: Hello?
    Her: Hey, I think I might be pregnant.
    Me: ...............
    Her: You there?
    Me: ....... Shit.

SigmaCondition on
    edited October 2007
    Well I'd like to thank you all.
    I just came back from seeing her, she got the prescriptions and started taking them.
    okay so I CANT get tested for herpes? so how would I know? what about oral herpes?

I wish they taught us this in sex ed.

anonywho on
    edited October 2007
    Oral herpes is the same thing, you need to have a cold sore in order to have it tested.

Without an actual legion, a test can't be run.

Lewisham on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Oral herpes is the same thing, you need to have a cold sore in order to have it tested.

They can take a blood test to see if your immune system is producing Herpes antibodies. Got the anitbodies? You've got Herpes.

It sounds a little fishy--Herpes are not painful enough by themselves to warrant a trip to the ER, and there's flu-like symptoms involved as well. But if that's what the doctor says, then so be it.

And as far as you catching it, well... if she is having an outbreak, she is most definetly contagious, and condoms might not be effective in that case. If she's not having an outbreak, she could still transmit the virus through bodily fluids. It varies from case to case, and unless she wants to do some extensive tests, you'll never know for certain is she's contagious between outbreaks or not.

As far as how you could have gotten this, Herpes (technically known as Herpes Simplex Virus 2, or Genital Herpes) is essentially the same virus as a Cold Sore (technically known as Herpes Simplex Virus 1). HSV1 and HSV2 affect different areas of the body, though--while most people have HSV1 and break out in cold sores every once in a while, it will never manifest itself on one's genitalia. However, HSV1 can be transmitted to the genitals via oral sex, and when that happens it becomes HSV2.

Basically, when you go down on your girlfriend/boyfriend while you have a cold sore, you run the (very high in girls, somewhat less so but still high in boys) risk of giving them Herpes. This is how two people who have never had sex with anyone else can get Herpes, unfortunately.

All you can do at this point, anonywho, is cut out the speculation and get a blood test. Chances are you have it, too, and then it's not a big deal for either of you. In fact, Herpes is embarrassing and can complicate pregnancies, but in everyday life it's little more than a minor annoyance four times a year. It's not the end of the world.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

"lesion". they're lesions. A legion is a big-ass bunch of soldiers. If one of them appears on your face, you've bigger problems than coldsore cream can handle ;)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

"lesion". they're lesions. A legion is a big-ass bunch of soldiers. If one of them appears on your face, you've bigger problems than coldsore cream can handle ;)

Ooo. I didn't know that. Yay English language! 8-)

Lewisham on
    edited October 2007
    Dongpuller wrote: »

They can take a blood test to see if your immune system is producing Herpes antibodies. Got the anitbodies? You've got Herpes.

Oh shit, you'd think I'd remember that when I've had that test too (I like to be safe).

I'm staying well away from medical threads from now on :)

Lewisham on
    edited October 2007
    Dongpuller wrote: »

Oh shit, you'd think I'd remember that when I've had that test too (I like to be safe).

I'm staying well away from medical threads from now on :)
    Y'know, now that I think about it... it takes anywhere up to three months after initial exposure for antibody production to begin, so said test might take time before it yields results. Still, it's the best course of action in this scenario.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When you're thinking about oral herpes, remember that there's a difference between cold sores and canker sores. Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus and are sores that appear on the outside of your mouth, like on your lips. Canker sores are tears or small cuts on the tissue on the inside of your mouth (on your tongue, inside of your cheek or lips, etc.) that have nothing to do with herpes.

KalTorak on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait, has this even been confirmed with no ambiguity as herpes yet by a doctor? Because I missed that part of the thread.

Doc on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think we're still waiting to hear back.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Wait, has this even been confirmed with no ambiguity as herpes yet by a doctor? Because I missed that part of the thread.
    anonywho wrote: »
    Well I'd like to thank you all.
    I just came back from seeing her, she got the prescriptions and started taking them.
    okay so I CANT get tested for herpes? so how would I know? what about oral herpes?

I wish they taught us this in sex ed.

I guess it's a prescription to supress/lessen outbreaks, Acyclovir probably.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited October 2007
    To the guy that said it's an inconvenience four times a year, that'd be a HIGH rate for re-occurance. Normally it's an awful lot less than that. As for what would happen if she had it and you didn't, tell her everything will still be fine. If she's got it and you don't, and the two of you are having sex, as long as you're using protection and she's not showing any symptoms then you'll be fine. Hell, even if you didn't use protection and she wasn't showing symptoms the chances are pretty damn high that you'd be fine (as someone mentioned, there is a chance of you catching it through bodily fluids).

As I said, a husband can have herpes before meeting his wife and not realise it. He and his wife can have unprotected sex every single day and she can still not catch it. Then one day it can sneak up on him and he'll get his first (and maybe only) attack. It can happen, I believe, when the body is particularily down or anything like that. Much like a cold. It actually manifests itself (again, going from memory) at the base of your spine/back.
    It sounds a little fishy--Herpes are not painful enough by themselves to warrant a trip to the ER, and there's flu-like symptoms involved as well. But if that's what the doctor says, then so be it.

They can be incredibly painful depending on where they are. My gf of the time was in agony everytime she peed.

I know from where I speak, I was in exactly the same situation as you going on two years back. The relationship has ended now, but it wasn't anything to do with her having herpes, and the ex is now with another guy and they have a perfectly healthy relationship (we're still actually good friends).

Despite being the butt of a lot of comedians jokes, herpes is not a big deal. If you and your gf got VERY serious down the line and were planning to have kids, you'd be best to mention the herpes thing to a doctor. If she's having an "outbreak" at the time of pregnancy it can cause issues. That said, this may be the one and only time she ever suffers the symptoms.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited October 2007
    The four-times-a-year rate is an average--some people get them once every couple of years, some get them once every month. It varies from person-to-person, and can depend on diet and lifestyle. "Normal" does not apply to the disease, since everybody has a different experience.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here, since no one else seems to want to.

I really, really don't want to put paranoia in your head or be the asshole, but you need to consider something.

So hopefully your girl doesn't have the herpes, and if she does, sorry to hear it, and like everyone else has said, there's a lot of ways to deal with it and still live the same lifestyle.

But if she does, and you don't...

Is she faithful?

I know that you've said you were each other's first and it's just oral, etc. , but it's just not something that you really have THAT big of a chance of catching off a toilet seat. It happens, and I won't deny that, but it's really, really rare.

So if she's got herpes, and you know for sure that you don't, you two should have a long talk about a few things. You're both young, it would be understandable.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes, accuse her of cheating, that's the responsible approach to the problem. Oh wait, is asking "so are you sure I'm your first" semantically distinct from "YOU CHEATED ON ME, WHORE!"? Yes, I suppose it is, but I find it unlikely that most people are so minimally emotionally invested in their relationships that they're going to take the time to sit and process that, especially teenagers. A conversation about where the herpes came from is probably inevitable, but the most important thing to do when that time comes in order to glean anything from it is to go ahead and not accuse anyone of anything. Oh that and learning how herpes works before having the conversation. Like, for example, you can get it from kissing someone who has an open sore or even someone who doesn't presently have an open sore but does have HSV. Noting that most people regard kissing as markedly different from fucking. And that's just one possibility. It's a pretty damned easy virus to get.

ViolentChemistry on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't go jumping down my f'ing throat because I pointed out the obvious... I'm not the teenager screwing around who almost caught herpes. I'm sorry for his girl, it really sucks, and I hope he's clean, but it came from somewhere, and if one of them wasn't faithful, or they're not going to pay attention for stuff like this, then it doesn't need to be freaking sugar coated either. She has Herpes, and while it isn't some life threatening illness everyone doesn't need to act like it doesn't matter, or it's no big deal, or it's just some big social stigma that isn't deserved. It's a currently incurable disease, by textbook definition. He needs to know where she got it from..

OP: I'm not suggesting that the second she gets back home from the doc you ask who she's been fucking behind your back. But once she's had a little time to adjust you need to talk to her about it, period.

amateurhour on
  • WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't ask her if shes faithful! Fucking shit, shes going through enough right now! I just had a scare myself this summer and if my girlfriend had asked me that I don't know how I would have handled it. There are plenty of other reasons/possibilities, at least wait until you're sure its herpes.

Heres my story to make you feel a little relieved:
    I woke up one day and put on my boxers, when the fabric touched my penis it was like fire. I looked down to see what the hell was going on and there were two tiny red marks that were super sensitive to the touch. I went to campus health that day and when they took my blood pressure it was something fucking ridiculous like 270/80. The doctor looks at the marks and I tell her how they feel and she says "It sounds like herpes, they're too small to get a swab from so we'll have to do an antibody test." She immediately starts me on acyclovir.

The marks remain for about two more days, super sensitive and then go away. Thank god that when I told my gf she was supportive and never once questioned me about sleeping around, I was enough of a nervous wreck. I got the results that Friday, I'm negative. the doctor says she doesn't know what it is but that based on the antibody test and how brief/small the marks were she doesn't think I should be worried.

The moral of the story is that weird shit happens with your body. No one can know for certain until an MD confirms. Get tested but don't be too concerned, you both sound like low-risk behavior people.

Walter on
    edited October 2007
    Dude, he prefaced his thought with "Let me play devil's advocate".
    I think everyone in the forum has given good advice so far, but I'm also pretty sure that a large number of us wondered the same question. Maybe it's viable to have the conversation, maybe it's not. But like he said, just playing DA.

SigmaCondition on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't go jumping down my f'ing throat because I pointed out the obvious... I'm not the teenager screwing around who almost caught herpes. I'm sorry for his girl, it really sucks, and I hope he's clean, but it came from somewhere, and if one of them wasn't faithful, or they're not going to pay attention for stuff like this, then it doesn't need to be freaking sugar coated either. She has Herpes, and while it isn't some life threatening illness everyone doesn't need to act like it doesn't matter, or it's no big deal, or it's just some big social stigma that isn't deserved. It's a currently incurable disease, by textbook definition. He needs to know where she got it from..

OP: I'm not suggesting that the second she gets back home from the doc you ask who she's been fucking behind your back. But once she's had a little time to adjust you need to talk to her about it, period.

It's a legitimate concern, and you're right, it's one that needs to be addressed. But the situation calls for tact. Like Violent Chemistry said, the discussion needs to proceed along the lines of where the disease came from, not who she's been fucking around with.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2007

You didn't even read my fucking post, as you have no idea what I "jumped down your f'ing throat". Here's what you were given:
    Girl and boy have both told eachother they're their firsts.
    Girl contracts herpes.

And here's what you've come up with given that information:
    Girl is obviously cheating.

Which only makes any kind of sense if you rely on the assumption:
    The only way to get herpes is via sex.

Which you think you've made an excuse to use via:
    Getting herpes from a toilet seat is rare.

Which means you still have to rely on the following assumptions:
    The only two ways to get herpes are via sex and rare toilet-seats.
    Girl has never sat on a rare toilet-seat.

Both of those assumptions are silly, and the first is provably false.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited October 2007
    Thank you sigma....

At no point did I say accuse her of cheating, or bitch her out, or not give her time to deal with this. I said give her some time to adjust, and have a conversation about it. But yeah.....We're all thinking it...

Also OP, until that test comes back one way or another, don't go making out with her or rubbing naughty parts...

amateurhour on
    edited October 2007

You didn't even read my fucking post,

You started your fucking post with the whole "Oh yeah, thats a terrific idea! attitude, you jumped down my case about it in dowing so, if you're going to be rude, at least fucking own up to it.

as you have no idea what I "jumped down your f'ing throat". Here's what you were given:

Girl and boy have both told eachother they're their firsts.
    Girl contracts herpes.

And here's what you've come up with given that information:
    Girl is obviously cheating.

She's not obviously cheating, but something tells me the op would have admitted to cheating if he's asking for advice in an internet forum, so just for the sake of argument, lets assume if anyone is cheating, it's her

Which only makes any kind of sense if you rely on the assumption:
    The only way to get herpes is via sex.

I never said that, you fucking know it. The op already admitted they hadn't had sex, and it's transmittable several ways

Which you think you've made an excuse to use via:
    Getting herpes from a toilet seat is rare.

Blah Blah Blah (crap)

Really, because I used toilet seat as an example then my logic must mean it's the only way. Nice....
    I get that you love to argue, and you're a mod here, so it makes it that much easier, but don't just go fucking attacking people because they don't agree with you, or want to present some common sense to the equation other than the birth of the "virgin herpes" fuck off....

amateurhour on
    edited October 2007
    Thank you sigma....

At no point did I say accuse her of cheating, or bitch her out, or not give her time to deal with this. I said give her some time to adjust, and have a conversation about it. But yeah.....We're all thinking it...

Also OP, until that test comes back one way or another, don't go making out with her or rubbing naughty parts...

No, we're not all thinking it. Lots of people who A) don't know how HSV is transmitted and/or B) think there's just one bitch with many faces probably are, but that's not all of people. Your automatic response to the problem is to turn to distrust. Which in turn will likely lead to deception, because people have a tendancy to decieve people they distrust, which will do a pretty good job of fucking things up. All this starting from "look I know there's other ways but one of those other ways is really rare so she's probably fucking around on you".

Edit: Also I never jumped down your throat, I simply mocked your advice viciously. Because the advice itself is pretty much a mockery of rationality. If you want to attack me personally, you have to do it via PM. You really don't have anywhere near enough information to assume that she's lying or cheating, but you're telling anonywho to do just that anyway. That isn't helpful. You will stop now, this is not a debate.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited October 2007
    Edit: Also I never jumped down your throat, I simply mocked your advice viciously. Because the advice itself is pretty much a mockery of rationality. If you want to attack me personally, you have to do it via PM. You really don't have anywhere near enough information to assume that she's lying or cheating, but you're telling anonywho to do just that anyway. That isn't helpful. You will stop now, this is not a debate.

You're right, this is not a debate, this is H/A, to which I was giving advice, that you just happened to disagree with, and told me not to give, you do NOT have to right, moderator or not, to do that, and the fact that you can't keep your personal attacks on my advice (mocking it viciously is an attack) shows that you don't have what it takes to be an impartial moderator. As a representative for a business as large as penny arcade you should show a lot more professionalism. I was only defending my advice as viciously as you saw fit to attack it. Don't tell me what I will and will not give in terms of advice though, you have no control over that....

amateurhour on
    edited October 2007
    Well that was a nice "debate" anyway, I'm not asking her that, neither now or later, because it's not like some girl I picked off the streets, I know her.

She's been to a 3rd doctor today and he said it's most likely herpes.

One more question, is it possible for me to have had it for 18 years and not notice ANY signs of it?

anonywho on
This discussion has been closed.