As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All-Inclusive Luxury [chat] Massagery and Spa

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i don't know

i think we probably go to where we are, at least partially, due to overemphazing arbitrary benchmarks like grades over actually knowing the material

I agree. But what parent is going to let their kid suffer over a principled stance?

So academic "success" should be predicated on who has the parents who can apply the most pressure to a school to give their kids fake good grades?

I mean, I'm not surprised that you'd be OK with that because it would work out well for you personally. But it's obviously no good for society.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i don't know

i think we probably go to where we are, at least partially, due to overemphazing arbitrary benchmarks like grades over actually knowing the material

I agree. But what parent is going to let their kid suffer over a principled stance?

Tons of parents?

Just if the principled stance is "you're bad because you're gay"

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think I told this story before. In 8th grade a teacher was gonna cane a bunch of us. It was at the end of school, and I don't even remember what we did. He had us wait in our classroom while he went away and did something, and by the time he got back there was almost no one left at school. This was instigated by one kid, but we all bought in. We said no. We told him you could, we won't fight you on it, and we'll take our beating; we'll take all our beatings for the rest of the year. But we know where your kids live, and this is our last year at this school. We'll make their lives in the neighborhood hell. They'll take every beating you give us, and and what are you gonna do about it? He let us go, and we were shitbags in his classes for the rest of the year.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also, let's be honest here. The most important thing about grades is them being high so you can get into a good college. I think it is totally understandable when parents fight for heir kids to have higher grades, because regardless of how a kid did on a math test, their entire future matters more than mastery of the material. We have a bad system right now, but how can you blame parents for wanting their kids to succeed in the job market?

What you do and how you learn in grade school create habits that can affect the rest of your life. For example, teachers are taught not to compliment a successful student for being smart, but to compliment them for their hard work. There are plenty of studies that show that the "hard-working" kid will be more successful than the "smart" kid, because the smart kid will assume they can just coast and rely on their brains.

It makes sense to want your kid to do well in school, but you should do so by getting them to work hard and to establish good habits. If your kid only has great grades because you bullied their teachers, then they're not going to be in a position to really take advantage of that opportunity. Even worse, you're potentially taking up a spot at that school that could've gone to a kid who actually deserved it.

What does "deserved" mean when kids get in on non-academic qualifications like sports ability all the time? If a kid gets into a good college for throwing a ball well, I see nothing wrong with another kid getting in because his parents were persuasive.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    annnd now i have agreed every single post on the first page hi hello whaddup?

did you run last night

@Hakkekage

no i didn't >.<

but what i did do was spend another two hours sweating my ass off pulling up terf and moving big rocks

i had to do it and afterwards i could hardly walk let alone run =/

im just given u a hard tiem

no it's good! i need to be given a hard time sometimes

though i do feel yesterday was a rare legitimate excuse

(but don't ever take my word for it >.>)

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I learned to coast in elementary school and it's a problem that will continue to haunt me the rest of my life.

-_-

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    edited September 2015
    Neco wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    large.jpg

It feels like it should be reversed or something.

i never realised until now how all our celebrities are clones

alt post all y'all whiteys look alike to me

The irony of a corgi saying this.

Either you are all identical or you have tteleportation powers and are everywhere!

this is some 'cism right here

i am disappoint Neco

Casual on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i worked hard in school and got good grades

now this is my life

tumblr_ntnnzfCrEO1t3uwllo1_500.gif

#success

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    This is like, everything wrong with parents that I was talking about earlier.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i don't know

So academic "success" should be predicated on who has the parents who can apply the most pressure to a school to give their kids fake good grades?

I mean, I'm not surprised that you'd be OK with that because it would work out well for you personally. But it's obviously no good for society.

Not should. I think the current system sucks. But you have to work with what you have. Under the current system, your kid having high grades is the most important thing. That is really unfortunate. But it kind of is what it is.

Also, let's be honest here. The most important thing about grades is them being high so you can get into a good college. I think it is totally understandable when parents fight for heir kids to have higher grades, because regardless of how a kid did on a math test, their entire future matters more than mastery of the material. We have a bad system right now, but how can you blame parents for wanting their kids to succeed in the job market?

What you do and how you learn in grade school create habits that can affect the rest of your life. For example, teachers are taught not to compliment a successful student for being smart, but to compliment them for their hard work. There are plenty of studies that show that the "hard-working" kid will be more successful than the "smart" kid, because the smart kid will assume they can just coast and rely on their brains.

It makes sense to want your kid to do well in school, but you should do so by getting them to work hard and to establish good habits. If your kid only has great grades because you bullied their teachers, then they're not going to be in a position to really take advantage of that opportunity. Even worse, you're potentially taking up a spot at that school that could've gone to a kid who actually deserved it.

What does "deserved" mean when kids get in on non-academic qualifications like sports ability all the time? If a kid gets into a good college for throwing a ball well, I see nothing wrong with another kid getting in because his parents were rich.

Fixed for accuracy.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I just caved and ate lunch because I didn't feel good.

rip thigh gap dreams

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Neco wrote: »
    Hello
    I'm Shelley Duvall

I DONT GET IT

Hakkes. Darling. There's...there's nothing to get! Do you see now?

https://youtu.be/QrVoJgQ7u8w

Neco on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tho that nonsense passive aggression BS isn't my issue but it also is stupid, bowen

Yeah g/f used to get the "you owe me your life" routine a lot.

Like, g/f should be lavishing her mother with gifts and shit.

A few christmases ago she got sick of hearing it and said something like, "I'm not going to apologize for being a child or being born, those were your decisions. If I was a terrible child, that's on you, you raised me. I don't want to hear about it again and I don't want to hear how my brother and sister both apologized for it."

I'm paraphrasing a 40 minute lash out fest on christmas though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

rip thigh gap dreams

Were you just gonna not eat lunch?

That strikes me as counterproductive

Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs

*yoink*

Mental abuse feels so much worse than physical abuse.

A wound heals, scars make you unique. Mental wounds never really heal and it's hard to see the damage, and people tend to keep picking at them and eventually the person blows up because everyone has a breaking point.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I don't have a thigh gap but I have lower back dimples

on a scale of 1 to thigh gap where are back dimples rated?

What does "deserved" mean when kids get in on non-academic qualifications like sports ability all the time? If a kid gets into a good college for throwing a ball well, I see nothing wrong with another kid getting in because his parents were persuasive.

Should dim children of smart parents get into good schools on the academic achievements of their parents?

Wealth? Social status?

At least an athletic accomplishment belongs to the student. What you're talking about just amounts to "Well since I'm a lawyer I can probably brow beat my kid into Harvard even if he has downs syndrome."

It's pathetic.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    i have finally found a gripe about living in the city

i will not be able to age my own bordeaux

i guess i'll just have to embark on a wildly successful career so that i can afford a place in the city and nice place in the country with my own wine cellar

Wine fridge!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    i don't know

This is tremendously uncharitable and honestly kind of pisses me off. Come on, man. He is clearly and unambiguously stating that it's bullshit, it's not how it should be, but because that's the way it is he will do what he can for his kid. Don't be the person who drags down discourse.

tho that nonsense passive aggression BS isn't my issue but it also is stupid, bowen

A few christmases ago she got sick of hearing it and said something like, "I'm not going to apologize for being a child or being born, those were your decisions. If I was a terrible child, that's on you, you raised me. I don't want to hear about it again and I don't want to hear how my brother and sister both apologized for it."

'you owe me your life' is kinda funny

cause like, as a kid, fuck you, you owe me for bringing me into this miserable world

Like, I'm probably going to have kids but I kinda feel bad about it. The future of society in the next 100 years seems like a serious gamble.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze

rip thigh gap dreams

are you planning to diet your way into being a petite girl?

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Mental abuse feels so much worse than physical abuse.

A wound heals, scars make you unique. Mental wounds never really heal and it's hard to see the damage, and people tend to keep picking at them and eventually the person blows up because everyone has a breaking point.

They are basically the same thing.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    d'you like dags

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2015
    That episode was mostly a product of learning, from years of getting some terrible lessons.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    Shivahn wrote: »

rip thigh gap dreams

I was gonna eat "lunch". The salad with low cal dressing that I brought from home. Instead I went and got human food.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

rip thigh gap dreams

I was gonna eat "lunch". The salad with low cal dressing that I brought from home. Instead I went and got human food.

but you're a gorilla.

trix aren't for gorillas trix are for kids!

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    i worked hard in school and got good grades

now this is my life

tumblr_ntnnzfCrEO1t3uwllo1_500.gif

#success

actually no this is my life

tumblr_nt11l4U7aq1tydz8to1_500.gif

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Hakks you can just always assume and act like i'm a lying piece of shit who doesn't run

on the times when i have the moral high ground and a good excuse i will just endure

seriously I was doing just fine in the 14 billion years of sweet oblivion before I got dragged screaming into this world

rip thigh gap dreams

Ah

Yeah it's ok to be a rabbit person, I just thought you were fasting

(I am basically eating nonstop while studying because it dulls the pain)

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    weird shit

the last two high profile shootings (charleston and the virginia one) have both been too close for comfort. in both cases I was one degree of separation from someone involved. in the charleston shooting, the guy went to my high school and palled around with my younger brother (plus, the person who called the police for his first trespassing charge was my sister in law)

in the virginia shooting, one of the victims was my buddy's sibling. My buddy's been posting "remembrance" photos all week and it is just heart wrenching

Should dim children of smart parents get into good schools on the academic achievements of their parents?

Wealth? Social status?

At least an athletic accomplishment belongs to the student. What you're talking about just amounts to "Well since I'm a lawyer I can probably brow beat my kid into Harvard even if he has downs syndrome."

It's pathetic.

I've said many times the system is a bad one. I wish it was different. But I cannot blame a parent for doing what is best for their child under the system as it exists.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I am personally on good terms with every member of my family, and the last time I got into a serious argument with one of them I was ill and foul tempered.

However my three sisters and mother all have varying degrees of fireyness, and when two or more are in proximity for a lengthly period there is a chance a tiff will emerge.

It doesn't last long, especially when the one not involved in the tiff is able to root out the inciting point, but it's interesting. Illness aside, I can't recall arguing with my brothers or father past the age of 15.

rip thigh gap dreams

Ah

Yeah it's ok to be a rabbit person, I just thought you were fasting

(I am basically eating nonstop while studying because it dulls the pain)

WITNESS.

Aioua wrote: »

'you owe me your life' is kinda funny

cause like, as a kid, fuck you, you owe me for bringing me into this miserable world

Like, I'm probably going to have kids but I kinda feel bad about it. The future of society in the next 100 years seems like a serious gamble.

It's baffling as fuck, but that boomer entitlement can get out of control if your husband pays for everything about your life.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    You guys got my on a Postmodern Jukebox binge.
    Dammit.

Bless your heart.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    How are corgis the white people of dogs? Corgi world problems...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.