As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fitness and Weight Management

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Climbing is one of those things that I tried on a whim (like I imagine a lot of people do) because it was something neat to try. Got stuck on a particular route that first day, and decided to come back to try to beat it. Then I got hooked and been climbing since. It also lead to me do yoga regularly and concentrate more on weight lifting to try and improve.

This year, one of my goals was to climb more and I been climbing three times a week, and added bouldering (which to me is so much harder than top rope). Two weeks ago I competed in a 12 hour climbing comp. Wasn't expecting to place but I was fully satisfied that I completed 100 ascends.

Basically if you have access to a climbing gym you should check it out.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I keep falling in an out of climbing

I should go back

poo
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The issue is the falling part shaz, you shouldn't do that.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Boom, what a joke guys.

Blake T on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    Oh man! I was starting to exercise fairly regularly, and then I moved to east LA! It's a thousand fucking degrees here! I'm typing this post at midnight and it's currently 80 degrees outside! 90 in my room!!!

I can't really sweat, so I've always tried to exercise in the cold. This sucks.

And here's the thing, LA is almost always in perpetual spring or fall. It doesn't get the extreme temperatures. When I was commuting from Lancaster to LA, when I headed home the temperature would shift twenty degrees. I may have worn a jacket on the bus but it sure as hell was off before we got to the last stop.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I really want to get into climbing, but I don't have the time :(

Maybe one day.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Does every REI have a climbing wall at the front door?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Blake T wrote: »
    Boom, what a joke guys.

i saw this coming as i was typing it but i left it there

the ol alley oop

poo
    Paladin wrote: »
    Does every REI have a climbing wall at the front door?

Only one of the REI in my town does.

Convenient to try out new shoes.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Only REI I've been to had the climbing shoes and the thingy for testing out climbing shoes on different floors.

They were also almost completely out of climbing shoes at the time so it may not have been their standard setup.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I hate you guys. I would kill for any kind of climbing gym in my area. The only times I've ever tried anything resembling climbing I've loved it, but I can't find any way to get started in this cow town. There's decent out door climbing around here, but I have no partners and no one to teach me and no gym access, so...

JihadJesus wrote: »
    I hate you guys. I would kill for any kind of climbing gym in my area. The only times I've ever tried anything resembling climbing I've loved it, but I can't find any way to get started in this cow town. There's decent out door climbing around here, but I have no partners and no one to teach me and no gym access, so...

Have you tried Meetup? There may be a climbing group you could join.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Is there a decent outdoor retailer in town? They probably have a meetup board. At the very least, the staff would know climbers in the area and might be able to put you in touch with them.

Outdoors climbing is about a million times better anyway.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »
    Okay. Here is your motivational story of the afternoon:

At the beginning of the summer, I was over 260. I was also diagnosed with severe acid reflux/pre-Barrett's Esophagus ("We don't think you'll need surgery..."), severe arthritis in both hips, and I was on medication for high blood pressure.

After sulking for a bit, I recognized that all three of my medical conditions were, in some way, related to my weight, so I set to change how I ate. I got a food diary app for my phone and, more importantly, I started using it. I also started a strict three workout per week schedule. (Between my job and family that was all I could reliably schedule without shirking something important.)

So, the week before PAX, I had my checkup with my gastroenterologist. I've lost 25 lbs so far, and my blood pressure was 113/68, meaning that my bp medicine may very well get dialed back soon. I also went from not being able to walk more than a mile or so before my hips hurt too much to being able to stand in line and walk all over the con all four days with little problem (and the Grand Hyatt soaking tub and a lot of stretching, but still).

The next weight goal is to get down to 220 and re-evaluate, since I'm a fairly large-framed guy, but I've successfully (so far) been able to make the shift from viewing food as entertainment to viewing it as fuel in the day-to-day routine.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it can be done.

Can I ask what app do you use?

MyFitnessPal. It's free and the food diary has a bar code scanner and a lot of popular restaurant meals already entered, and helps you build entries for your own recipies.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

A friend of mine is trying to lose weight. He's 6'1 or so and 315 lbs, with pretty much a horrible eating habit and no exercise at all.

Obviously having been in his shoes I'm trying to be supportive (when I lost weight I didn't have much support). I got him started on my fitness pal so he could track his food and he's been doing a good job of that, but I looked at his entries and he's gone over pretty much every day. And it's with stuff that he could cut back/make better choices too.

Then he got a gym membership and even a trainer for a month..but he only has excercised once a week with the trainer and didn't think of doing any workouts on his own.

It sucks cause I want to be non judgmental and supportive, but part of me thinks I should lay some truths on him.

Thoughts?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This may be rooted in my experience but all of the successful weight loss stories I've heard have resulted from people realizing that they needed to change themselves and then doing it, not by someone else pointing out the flaws in their plans. If you think you've got the kind of relationship with him where you can say what you want to say to him then cool but I wouldn't expect dramatic change just because of that talk.

People aren't just their calories and workouts, so do more fact finding to see if there's other lifestyle factors interfering with progress.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    He's gonna have to want to do it himself, but maybe it'd be nice if he joined in a fun activity with you like a easy jog where you could chat or swimming or cycling. No pressure or goal other than to have fun.

My aim is to exercise 2-3 times a week, to reduce anxiety etc.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah odds are you'll just be telling him stuff he already knows. Figuring out what you need to do to be healthy isn't really the hard part, it's getting the right state of mind and circumstances that can be no mean feat.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    there's a good buncha fitness related articles on lifehacker about mindeset and motivation and self compassion and all this other brain stuff that is important

much more important than telling someone what they're doing wrong

poo
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Mom thinks eating 1000 calories a day is healthy. Complains about not losing weight.

Refers back to doctor 35 years ago saying "she had a slow metabolism and it will never be better" after she was pregnant with sister.

Won't listen to her son with certifiable experience in this field, prefers to take stupid fucking comments from some doctor 35 years ago. Goes on ridiculous and crazy diets, brags about eating just 1 apple a day for a month while in college, consistently overdoes exercise activity to the point of running her body to the ground. Doesn't realize this is directly related to her dietary habits.

it's impossible to reason with this person

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's the worst, I've been there and it's really frustrating and I don't even have your actual expertise, which I'm sure makes it a lot worse.

How bout nother doctor

Say medicine is always improving or some crap

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Mom thinks eating 1000 calories a day is healthy. Complains about not losing weight.

Refers back to doctor 35 years ago saying "she had a slow metabolism and it will never be better" after she was pregnant with sister.

Won't listen to her son with certifiable experience in this field, prefers to take stupid fucking comments from some doctor 35 years ago. Goes on ridiculous and crazy diets, brags about eating just 1 apple a day for a month while in college, consistently overdoes exercise activity to the point of running her body to the ground. Doesn't realize this is directly related to her dietary habits.

it's impossible to reason with this person

Parents, man.

My mom is in the same boat. She undereats and is always lethargic but "The doctor says im a healthy weight!"

Congrats mom, life is miserable but at least your BMI is fucking low.

You gotta realize that based on all the diet misinformation that's been going on for decades and botched healthcare they might not know what being healthy feels like.

Well it's the same with anyone really.

They've committed to this 'lifestyle' (for lack of a better word) they don't want to hear that they've been living wrong the entire time because they're 'fine'.

The other day I just got her to stop taking her blood pressure medicine when it was "too high at 110/60"

Which would mean she would start fucking fainting from hypotension

Can't just let her kill herself through ignorance

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    The other day I just got her to stop taking her blood pressure medicine when it was "too high at 110/60"

Which would mean she would start fucking fainting from hypotension

Can't just let her kill herself through ignorance

Our moms sound identical. They're probably the same person. I always knew we were brothers.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    hey y'all.

i'm back again. I'm about 4 months pregnant and just got diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Which I pretty much knew was going to happen but was still a rather big emotional shock.

so I've had an appointment at the gd clinic and got my glucose monitor and the starts of an eating plan. Which I had already kind of started myself on anyways.

At the start of my pregnancy I was 138kg. Yes. I know. I just weighed myself this morning and i'm at 135.4kg.

I need to start doing some more fitness things, on top of the eating better. but I need them to be ok for being pregnant. Other than going for walks and swimming, anybody have any other suggestions?

Honestly I think your doctor could answer that better than we could do really check with him first.

Maybe riding a bike?

Paddling about in a canoe?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    didn't know if somebody like DL had any experience with doing exercise programs for pregnant women.

figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

didn't know if somebody like DL had any experience with doing exercise programs for pregnant women.

figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Kinda!

In general pregnant women can do everything non-pregnant women could do except like extreme sports and stuff like that, and there a few physiological differences. Caveats:

1) Consult physician.
    2) Keep it simple! You can lift weights. 3x10 for 4-6 exercises at a light-moderate weight 2-3x a week. You're not breaking strength records, you're trying to stay as fit as possible within reason for the health of your child and yourself.
    3) you can cycle, walk, jog, whatever cardio is most accessible to you given your stage of pregnancy and current fitness
    4) I would have to find and look at my ACSM book for Exercise Prescription because they have a whole chapter on it. I'll have access to that in a week or so

5) post-birth is when you have to pick and choose exercise carefully and get fully recovered and all that stuff

6) I hope everything is going well! Please consult medical professional given current health status and taking up working out. Just keep it simple and focus more on making it a habit that you can find enjoyable and not dread or whatever.

I have known several ladies who continued to workout while pregnant. Like I said, play it smart and be reasonable about your expectations

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Here's what I remember from the obstetrician when my wife was pregnant with the first.

1. After the first trimester, no exercises that have you laying on your back.
    2. Watch your body temperature. You don't want to get your body temperature over 101 degrees.
    3. Due to the relaxin, your joints are looser than normal, so be careful with any stretching and big ranges of motion (lunges, squats, etc.)
    4. The shortness of breath is ok, it's actually from the increased progesterone in your system.

thank you guys.

I did talk to my GP and their reaction/thoughts were basically "meehhhh don't do anything too crazy". Same thing with the midwife.

so thanks for the tips on the lifting weights. Been trying to increase the walking, now that's getting to spring and less torrential downpours lately.

my struggle is and always will be food. But I have some guidelines now. Just need to stick to them. I'll have more guidelines after next week's appointment with the physician and the dietician

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Swimming. Zero impact. Just don't do backstroke after the first trimester.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I know women who've done yoga throughout pregnancy - they just modify or ask for modifications from the instructor...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I've actually been doing some yoga poses without realizing that they were yoga poses. They just felt good and right for how I wanted my body to move.

And yeah, swimming is on the list. Just need to find a swimsuit that will fit.. well, me.

but they're starting to come into the shops now, Just need to find one.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Exercising again, screw weigh ins; hate them, always makes me feel down no matter how I felt I looked.
    Trying out a spreadsheet with measurements instead.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Damn, Two cookouts in one week will really fuck your goals.

Luckily I managed to keep my weight about the same so I only lost a week of progress.

This discussion has been closed.