As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twitter Webcomics

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Actually, just let me put it this way;

Are these two phrases saying the same thing?
    "I could eat."
    "I couldn't eat."

No

Because "could" and "couldn't" mean different things

But in spite of this fact "could care less" and "couldn't care less" DO mean the same thing, because of how the phrases are used

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I'm gonna post the same thing I posted the last time this stupid discussion came up

I never knew I could care less about grammatical pedantry

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I do not care enough to devote the mental energy to maintain an absolute zero value of caring

I could care less, but I don't care enough to care less

no you think it actually means caring even less than couldn't care less

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I do not care enough to devote the mental energy to maintain an absolute zero value of caring

Oh no that argument is just for annoying pedants, I will openly admit that that post is disingenuous

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Oh no that argument is just for annoying pedants, I will openly admit that that post is disingenuous

you fooled me permanently

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Irregardless. ...

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Irregardless. ...

I could care less is fine

irregardless is a monstrous absurdity that should never be uttered

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It sounds so nice though. Just rolls off the tongue.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Oh my god these pages

Burn it down

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I actually love idioms that we use but have forgotten the original meaning.

Like when people say the exception that proves the rule, using "proves" to mean "makes true", when "proves" is supposed to mean "tests."

Or I heard a great one on a Youtube show, where one of the people talks about using "kid's gloves" on someone, when the original expression is "kid gloves" meaning "gloves made out of kid."

Or even just hearing a word with the same sound as another word and coming up with a meaning not intended by the speaker. Like when one of my siblings was writing a phone message for my mom, years ago, and he told her she got a call about the "perish council meeting" - since he wrote it that way (accidentally) when I happened to see the message I fell in love with the mistaken phrase.

Living language is awesome.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Well one thing no one can say of language is that it's nice.

Nice meaning "exact", of course.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

That's a good one. I actually try to scale down my use of "awesome" now.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    WORDS THAT KILL WOOOOOOOAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i'm pretty sure the smuggest people in this discussion aren't the two sides actually participating but the third subset of people deliberately not participating in order to claim the high ground

e.g. me

its me

i am the smuggest

here ill demonstrate

"oh...you guys are still here doing this...that's...that's great. you do you"

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    atheists.png
    I'd edit in more appropriate groups but I have no clue what to call them. "Living language advocates" vs "dictionary fuckers"? I have no clue.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    atheists.png
    I'd edit in more appropriate groups but I have no clue what to call them. "Living language advocates" vs "dictionary fuckers"? I have no clue.

word hippies

grammar + definition + context nazis

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    atheists.png

Living language advocates are villains of the highest order

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure the smuggest people in this discussion aren't the two sides actually participating but the third subset of people deliberately not participating in order to claim the high ground

e.g. me

its me

i am the smuggest

here ill demonstrate

"oh...you guys are still here doing this...that's...that's great. you do you"

I belong to the smuggest group of all

cyclists

I am morally superior to everyone, i am the law and I am above the law

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Orphane wrote: »
    atheists.png

word hippies

grammar + definition + context nazis

In the linguistics world, the latter are usually known as "perscriptivists". Modern linguistics is settled pretty firmly in the "languages are living, evolving thing" camp.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Y2sF7EW.jpg

Today's Table Titans is about splitting up for clues like Scooby-Doo. That and foolishly saying certain phrases in front of GMs.

• Options
    Speaking of the malleability of language and webcomics:

• Options
    5a39869afRlcl.jpg
    People are very understanding when it comes to giving monologue allowance time.
    mokepon.smackjeeves.com

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Atticus is going to get ground into dust by this woman

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It's prescriptivists versus descriptivists

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I do not like his chances

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Grammar arguments are on fleek, bae.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Atticus is going to get ground into dust by this woman

A woman who's the sister of the last Gym Leader he fought by the way and may literally have that happen to him if she ever learns who he is. Kinda wondering why Dragon-guy hasn't hopped off the stage yet unless he plans to watch and keep making jackass remarks to Atticus from there.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Do we know what gym leader she is

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I mean, it feels forever ago at this point, but didn't he not even officially win his cascade badge?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    12003205_1200619123297219_2884641313169068209_n.jpg?oh=88fcaf21350cf9912d824459c277964a&oe=56701954&__gda__=1450399832_232b6b52aff5dcee5da02b041fc8bde7

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I mean, it feels forever ago at this point, but didn't he not even officially win his cascade badge?

He won by a technicality, with his Oddish winning it, without technically being called in as his active, then she tried to take it back because he was team rocket.

I am guessing Dragondouche leader is going to get pissed when Atticus doesn't instantly lose, and throws his pokemon down to get involved and then like Caneguy gets involved too and ends up stomping them.

• Options
    Language, like history, is a set of lies agreed upon.

• Options

More or less? DT was pretty much KOed from the dunk into the gym's pool and Artemis' crazy Golduck Niobe was running over for an attack while Atty and DT were vulnerable hanging off the side of the platform they were on when the Oddish he got from Kahn intervened by using a drain attack. Artemis tried to get Niobe to attack the Oddish but Niobe was still too wrapped up in trying to hurt DT to listien and eventually dropped.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    This is why I speak French.

Office de la Langue Française, bitches! Pour les moments où vous avez besoin de mots qui ont du poids! Qui ont de la rectictude! Qui ont tout l'appareil de l'État qui se penche sur la question de ce que veulent dire les mots! Car la signification des mots est le plus pressant des contrats sociaux, et sans lui, nous serions de retour à l'état de pleurer pour téter! Respecter la grammaire, c'est respecter les autres!

Oui, môssieur, le peuple français a assez de respect pour soi-même et les autres que quand on se déclare, on s'attends à être compris facilement! La lecture et l'écoute est assez difficile de même, sans s'attendre à devoir deviner le sens à partir du contexte! Et si on se trompait, hein? Et si, par quelque faute de l'esprit de l'interlocuteur, il n'arrivait pas à déchiffrer les pâtes de mots qu'un abruti épand autour de lui? En français, c'est perçu comme poli de se plier à la coutume du pays, et non de la faire plier à soi! Pour qui se prend-t-il, celui qui ose changer les lois de la grammaire pour une quelque petite invention personnelle! Et d'ailleurs, la grammaire française est assez riche et permet assez de variations pour que chacun peut s'y exprimer sans se redire! C'est peut-être votre langue qui vaut de la merde, que les iconoclastes y cherchent à perturber le sens des mots. Peut-être s'y sentent-ils trop à l'étroit?

Translation in the spoiler
    French Language Office, chiennes! For the moments where you have need of words which have weight! Which have rectitude! Which have the whole State apparatus which deliberates on the question of what words mean! For the significance of words is the most pressing of social contracts, and, without it, we would be babes crying for the teat! Respecting grammar is respecting others!

Yes, sirrah, the French people has enough respect for itself and others that when we talk, we expect to be understood easily! Reading and listening is hard enough already without expecting to have to divine sense from context! What if we were wrong, eh? And if, by some fault of the spirit of a member of the public, he could not decipher the pasta of words that a brute spreads around him? In French, it is perceived as polite to bend to the local custom, and not to make it bend for you! For whom do they take themselves, those who dare change the laws of grammar for a small personal turn of phrase! And besides, French grammar is rich enough and permits enough variation so that each can express themselves without repeating themselves! Maybe it's your language that's worth shit, that the iconoclasts look to perturb the meaning of words. Maybe they feel too confined in it?
    fert

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

More or less? DT was pretty much KOed from the dunk into the gym's pool and Artemis' crazy Golduck Niobe was running over for an attack while Atty and DT were vulnerable hanging off the side of the platform they were on when the Oddish he got from Kahn intervened by using a drain attack. Artemis tried to get Niobe to attack the Oddish but Niobe was still too wrapped up in trying to hurt DT to listien and eventually dropped.

Looking at the pages again, DT was basically unconscious, with its tail almost extinguished (which depending on how you look at the flavor text for the pokemon, would mean it would die if it went out/went into the water again). The Golduck was basically going in for the killing blow at that point, instead of letting Atticus call in his next pokemon.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    This is why I speak French.

Office de la Langue Française, bitches! Pour les moments où vous avez besoin de mots qui ont du poids! Qui ont de la rectictude! Qui ont tout l'appareil de l'État qui se penche sur la question de ce que veulent dire les mots! Car la signification des mots est le plus pressant des contrats sociaux, et sans lui, nous serions de retour à l'état de pleurer pour téter! Respecter la grammaire, c'est respecter les autres!

Oui, môssieur, le peuple français a assez de respect pour soi-même et les autres que quand on se déclare, on s'attends à être compris facilement! La lecture et l'écoute est assez difficile de même, sans s'attendre à devoir deviner le sens à partir du contexte! Et si on se trompait, hein? Et si, par quelque faute de l'esprit de l'interlocuteur, il n'arrivait pas à déchiffrer les pâtes de mots qu'un abruti épand autour de lui? En français, c'est perçu comme poli de se plier à la coutume du pays, et non de la faire plier à soi! Pour qui se prend-t-il, celui qui ose changer les lois de la grammaire pour une quelque petite invention personnelle! Et d'ailleurs, la grammaire française est assez riche et permet assez de variations pour que chacun peut s'y exprimer sans se redire! C'est peut-être votre langue qui vaut de la merde, que les iconoclastes y cherchent à perturber le sens des mots. Peut-être s'y sentent-ils trop à l'étroit?

Translation in the spoiler
    French Language Office, chiennes! For the moments where you have need of words which have weight! Which have rectitude! Which have the whole State apparatus which deliberates on the question of what words mean! For the significance of words is the most pressing of social contracts, and, without it, we would be babes crying for the teat! Respecting grammar is respecting others!

Yes, sirrah, the French people has enough respect for itself and others that when we talk, we expect to be understood easily! Reading and listening is hard enough already without expecting to have to divine sense from context! What if we were wrong, eh? And if, by some fault of the spirit of a member of the public, he could not decipher the pasta of words that a brute spreads around him? In French, it is perceived as polite to bend to the local custom, and not to make it bend for you! For whom do they take themselves, those who dare change the laws of grammar for a small personal turn of phrase! And besides, French grammar is rich enough and permits enough variation so that each can express themselves without repeating themselves! Maybe it's your language that's worth shit, that the iconoclasts look to perturb the meaning of words. Maybe they feel too confined in it?
    fert
    nerd

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I deeply regret fanning the flames of this argument at the beginning, again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Oh man, it felt so good to write in French for once!

Man, we should have a French board. Or at least a French thread.

Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.