As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA DEAD] Here lies Oregon Phalla, RIP

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cheez wrote: »
    And maybe in return, you can get the capitalization on my name right.

Hint: there isn't any.
    Proper nouns are capitalized damn it.

Fucking MTV generation.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Proper nouns don't have sudden capitalizations in the middle of them either, now do they.

cheez on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Proper nouns don't have sudden capitalizations in the middle of them either, now do they.

umm..Does McDonald count?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »

:roll:

Particles such as Mc, Mac, and O being the exception. Happy now?

cheez on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Howl can complain but it doesn't really apply to your name, now does it? It's not like I'm typing CheEz or anything.

(It's not something I think about in the slightest and is purely automatic when I do it.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »

:roll:

Particles such as Mc, Mac, and O being the exception. Happy now?

The Kingdom of EnenKio?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Howl can complain but it doesn't really apply to your name, now does it? It's not like I'm typing CheEz or anything.

(It's not something I think about in the slightest and is purely automatic when I do it.)

I'm talking about you, Devoutlyapathetic.

(Haha, Frosteey. How long did you spend on that one?)

cheez on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Two points:

Usernames here couldn't be long enough to accept the space when I registered and I fear the Coin of Tube.

MacDonald and such like are capitalized in the middle because they're actually two words put together (Son of Donald) so even in that case, my name is still done correctly.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Not too long. I was originally going to use the nation of SeaLand, but those classless bastards don't capitalize the land. But I was fairly certain that among all of the micronations in the world, there must be one daring enough to pull it off.

I was not disappointed.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Two points:

Usernames here couldn't be long enough to accept the space when I registered and I fear the Coin of Tube.

MacDonald and such like are capitalized in the middle because they're actually two words put together (Son of Donald) so even in that case, my name is still done correctly.

If you're going to imply that "Devoutly" can follow the same principles as Mc and Mac, then I submit that my name is in fact a particle like "von" in Georg Henrik von Wright.

There we go! You can call me cheez and I can call you DevoutlyApathetic, and neither of us need fear for the sanctity of proper nouns.
    Hurray for pointless pedantic arguments keeping us occupied until the next Phalla!

cheez on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do not fear the Coin of Tube, my son. It will bless you and shine upon you if you give it the chance.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How much work goes into the preparation of a 40-seat phalla? Is there a lot of play-testing weeks beforehand?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Two points:

If you're going to imply that "Devoutly" can follow the same principles as Mc and Mac, then I submit that my name is in fact a particle like "von" in Georg Henrik von Wright.

There we go! You can call me cheez and I can call you DevoutlyApathetic, and neither of us need fear for the sanctity of proper nouns.
    Hurray for pointless pedantic arguments keeping us occupied until the next Phalla!

Mac and Von mean different things. One is clearly not commonly capitalized. Nice try though.
    I am too lazy to think when I hit the damn shift key. Thinking I shall not do!
    How much work goes into the preparation of a 40-seat phalla? Is there a lot of play-testing weeks beforehand?

How much time you got? It really depends on how "weird" your game is and how many actions the players have beyond voting. Add in however much time you'll spend making pretty narrations (or not.) I'd definitely practice keeping a spreadsheet so you know how much time that'll take you, what works for you and what doesn't before you attempt something like that. It's also a good idea to get a phalla regular to look over the rules to ensure it doesn't lead to a degenerate game state.
    Do not fear the Coin of Tube, my son. It will bless you and shine upon you if you give it the chance.

Well I'd probably go for a full name change since I don't use this anywhere else nowadays. Then some assholes would still call me DA and other people who be confused and I wouldn't want that. I certainly wouldn't want to confuse people Marx.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, you may even end up with a better name! Look at SenorFish! Gorilla Salad is such a better name.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well I'd probably go for a full name change since I don't use this anywhere else nowadays. Then some assholes would still call me DA and other people who be confused and I wouldn't want that. I certainly wouldn't want to confuse people Marx.
    And then some new guy comes around with the name DA and then it gets confusing

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

And then some new guy comes around with the name DA and then it gets confusing

I am sad that he never ended up sticking around. I enjoyed calling you Marx 2.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    romanlevinromanlevin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hehe. Left behind because I was too bored with the game to post.

They are all so going to die.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    romanlevin wrote: »

This, this right here is why the village is losing/ has lost

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Don't do that.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I am sad that he never ended up sticking around. I enjoyed calling you Marx 2.
    I preferred the Coke naming convention.

He was Classic Marx. The other was New Marx.
    Clearly why that guy disappeared is obvious now.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What?

romanlevin on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Are you sure it wasn't when 2 villagers apparently gave up the day we found out there were still 6 bandits amongst the 25 people left alive?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Are you sure it wasn't when 2 villagers apparently gave up the day we found out there were still 6 bandits amongst the 25 people left alive?
    Boo hoo, other players gave up or went inactive? It sucks, but it happens. Deal with it, don't throw in the goddamn towel and not even post.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Boo hoo, other players gave up or went inactive? It sucks, but it happens. Deal with it, don't throw in the goddamn towel and not even post.
    What if the game is too boring to care about it?

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A Phalla game is only as exciting as the players make it.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Grow a set of balls and formally withdraw.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the narrator, too.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow. You people are really taking this shit seriously, aren't you?

It's not like I wasn't posting on purpose. It was just less important to me than other, interesting things. There wasn't a plan or anything.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the narrator, too.
    The narrator can take plenty of steps to make the game more exciting to the players, such as election votes and awesome narrations, but they can only take it so far. If all the players had the same attitude as you, it doesn't matter what the mechanics are, the games would always being boring.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the narrator, too.

I've played games that were less inventive and poorly written. Robothero and Thorgot are doing an awesome job. If you get bored with a phalla, then you have a problem, not the game. There has only been one game (Squashua's teetered on the edge) that caused people to be rightfully upset and it was leaps and bounds worse than this.
    You need to be grateful that people take the time to set these games up for us to play and if you can't be respectful and play the game through to the end, you shouldn't sign up in the first place. There is always someone who ends up getting left out.

It's posts like this that are ignorant to the time intensive process it takes to set up and run one of these games and does nothing but discourage aspiring GMs from ever even trying their hand.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow. You people are really taking this shit seriously, aren't you?

It's not like I wasn't posting on purpose. It was just less important to me than other, interesting things. There wasn't a plan or anything.

Here is what you said:
    Hey, I know you've taken tens of hours to run this game for me because you think I might enjoy it but, well, fuck you. It's totally your fault I had no fun and my own faults had nothing to do with it. You fuckers should have come over to my house and given me a blow job while transcribing my posts for me!

You said you'd take part in a community effort and bailed out without having the decency to notify anybody. By doing so you ruined the game for others in the same fashion the game was ruined for you.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the narrator, too.
    The narrator can take plenty of steps to make the game more exciting to the players, such as election votes and awesome narrations, but they can only take it so far. If all the players had the same attitude as you, it doesn't matter what the mechanics are, the games would always being boring.

This is a fucking game. I didn't have anything interesting to do in this game.

I was a fucking dog. My power was that I lost the game if the cat got to Oregon.

I had no way of knowing who could be a bad guy, so red votes were pointless.
    I had no way of knowing what a yellow vote would do so that was pointless too.

This is like playing an FPS where you are blind, and there are grues beyond random doors.

EDIT: I'm not criticizing the organizers. Clearly they put time into this game. Yet, I was very bored. I'm sorry, I was. This was my first Phalla and I guess they are just not for me.

EDIT EDIT: I didn't bail out, I just didn't see the point in voting for something I had no idea about. I read all the posts.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    One more emo filled post and you'll have posted half as much as you did in the main thread.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the narrator, too.

This is a fucking game. I didn't have anything interesting to do in this game.

I was a fucking dog. My power was that I lost the game if the cat got to Oregon.

I had no way of knowing who could be a bad guy, so red votes were pointless.
    I had no way of knowing what a yellow vote would do so that was pointless too.

This is like playing an FPS where you are blind, and there are grues beyond random doors.

This is what a phalla is.

Some of us didn't even get a flavor role (like you) and still tried our best. You need to look at voting patterns, hints in the posts, when and how much people are online, etc...etc. It is like being a detective. Nothing is going to be given to you, you have to look for it.

I have never been a seer in a game, but I can pick out badguys from a group of unknowns with decent accuracy.

How did you think one finds the baddies?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the narrator, too.
    EDIT: I'm not criticizing the organizers. Clearly they put time into this game. Yet, I was very bored. I'm sorry, I was. This was my first Phalla and I guess they are just not for me.

Don't do that. If at this point you regret what you previous said own up to it and admit it. There are people on the other end of the internet tubes.
    EDIT EDIT: I didn't bail out, I just didn't see the point in voting for something I had no idea about. I read all the posts.

It would have been helpful to watch a game at some point. The majority of the time you don't know exactly what you're voting for. You need to look out for people who are being manipulative, who are contradicting themselves or who are steering bandwagons away from other people. They're unlikely to have any more proof that somebody isn't worth of a bandwagon than you do.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    One more emo filled post and you'll have posted half as much as you did in the main thread.

I'm emo? What, because I didn't "grow a set of balls"? If you disagree with me, point it out. Don't fucking call me names.

emo.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well I'll explain the subtext of that post.

You played 8 days in a game where you were disappointed because nothing happened. In that time you made a whopping 14 posts.

In this thread, where you've basically complained about the game while patting yourself on the back for being "better than the game" or some shit, you've now made 7.

If a game you're no longer playing can cause you to make 7 posts why the fuck can't you come up with more than that when you're actively playing?

Seriously, I'm ripping into you but I'm explaining why.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Don't do that. If at this point you regret what you previous said own up to it and admit it. There are people on the other end of the internet tubes.
    I regret nothing. The game was boring, and yet it probably wasn't the organizers' fault.
    DA wrote:
    It would have been helpful to watch a game at some point. The majority of the time you don't know exactly what you're voting for. You need to look out for people who are being manipulative, who are contradicting themselves or who are steering bandwagons away from other people. They're unlikely to have any more proof that somebody isn't worth of a bandwagon than you do.
    Nowhere in the signup thread was it stated that you had to watch a Phalla to be illegible to join this one. And yes, I understand the idea of detective work, but it's still largely random. If you enjoy that, good for you. I didn't.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well I'll explain the subtext of that post.

You played 8 days in a game where you were disappointed because nothing happened. In that time you made a whopping 14 posts.

In this thread, where you've basically complained about the game while patting yourself on the back for being "better than the game" or some shit, you've now made 7.

If a game you're no longer playing can cause you to make 7 posts why the fuck can't you come up with more than that when you're actively playing?

Seriously, I'm ripping into you but I'm explaining why.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I didn't see what I could post, so I didn't.
    I'm not patting myself on the back. I'm not say I'm better than anything. What is it with you and straw men?
    And I'm posting more here because it is more interesting for me to argue with you than play that game. Since when is boredom a fucking sin?

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I regret nothing. The game was boring, and yet it probably wasn't the organizers' fault.

So whose? Give me a name. Because the only other group that it could possibly be is the players, of which you are a part.
    DA wrote:
    Nowhere in the signup thread was it stated that you had to watch a Phalla to be illegible to join this one. And yes, I understand the idea of detective work, but it's still largely random. If you enjoy that, good for you. I didn't.[/quote]

It was an absurd request that you have some clue that Phalla involves. :roll:

You did the equivalent of showing up at a baseball game and saying "This involves balls? Fuck that, this is boring! I'm leaving!"

Except of course you just walked off the field without telling anybody, leaving your team pissed when they found out left field was empty. Then you found them in a bar afterwards and said "Good thing I left, you guys got creamed!"

You're being a prick.

DevoutlyApathetic on