As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A New "The Office" Thread

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    a lot of the first season's episodes were adaptations of UK ones

only a couple (if any) of the second season's were. I'm not sure, I've only seen the first series of the UK version

Garlic Bread on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dude I do not get what is wrong with Jim and Pam. Mainly Pam. Three years of engagement? Takes you for granted? Doesn't care about what you want? Fucking grow a spine and break up with him, Jesus.

Defender on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Dude I do not get what is wrong with Jim and Pam. Mainly Pam. Three years of engagement? Takes you for granted? Doesn't care about what you want? Fucking grow a spine and break up with him, Jesus.

Jesus should break up with him.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited November 2006
    Jesus is way too hot to be treated this badly.

Defender on
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Jesus is way too hot to be treated this badly.

In the end I think he will break up with Jesus. Jesus is walking the streets at night "turning the other cheek" and it's only a matter of time before it comes back to haunt him.

hahaha, oh man, that was horrible

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ed Helms working at Jim's branch was a stroke of genius

Bloods End on
    edited November 2006
    Turning the other cheek. Nice. OK, well, I guess we can declare "Mission Accomplished" on this exchange now. And not in the George Bush "we ain't done shit" way.

Defender on
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Turning the other cheek. Nice. OK, well, I guess we can declare "Mission Accomplished" on this exchange now. And not in the George Bush "we ain't done shit" way.

C'mon man! It was right there, I had to!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited November 2006
    Hey, so remember the sexual harrassment episode, when David Koechner came in as Todd Packer and just acted like the biggest fucking asshole in the world? I think that they should use that as sexual harrassment training. They should be like "you're not funny or cool when you do that shit. You look like this guy." Because what's out there on the market right now is fucking terrible.

Defender on
    edited November 2006
    I've never seen this show.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Hey, so remember the sexual harrassment episode, when David Koechner came in as Todd Packer and just acted like the biggest fucking asshole in the world? I think that they should use that as sexual harrassment training. They should be like "you're not funny or cool when you do that shit. You look like this guy." Because what's out there on the market right now is fucking terrible.

They could actually do that to a bunch of Office episodes. Like the "Gay Witch Hunt" episode that opens season 3 could be used to show how not to be discriminatory to the gays. Or the "Bring Your Kid to Work" episode showing how to do one of those lame days the right way.

Having spent a whole work day watching badly-made training videos, I could only see showing Office clips in the training as a good thing.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:

They could actually do that to a bunch of Office episodes. Like the "Gay Witch Hunt" episode that opens season 3 could be used to show how not to be discriminatory to the gays. Or the "Bring Your Kid to Work" episode showing how to do one of those lame days the right way.

Having spent a whole work day watching badly-made training videos, I could only see showing Office clips in the training as a good thing.

Kate has been working on finding sexual-harrassment stuff for her company, and believe it or not, it's actually needed. Quick background, she was one of two accountants at her old company, which did software development and IT outsourcing. The guy who headed the IT outsourcing bought out his half of the company, and Kate went with his half, so now she's the controller for that company, and she does all the HR and accounting stuff. There's a guy there who asked the other accountant, while the companies were still together, all these inappropriate questions, including, and I'm not making this up, "How many people have you had sex with?"

I mean, you think sexual harrassment videos are telling you the most obvious shit, but then you see dudes like this.

But man, some of these goddamn films! There's one where this woman is getting coffee, and some dude asks if it can be "as sweet as she looks" or something inappropriate like that, so she gets him the "special coffee" which, in reality, means she has pissed in his coffee. In this film, however, it means that she put a magic powder in it that turns him into a woman the next day, and also HR transfers him to the warehouse instead of the office, which is filled with skeevy losers. He begs forgiveness and the next day is a man again. How fucking stupid do you have to be to write this script? Let's ignore the implication that warehouse workers are all crude lowlifes AND that to understand sexual harrassment, you have to be female. Why would you have someone slip magic, reversible sex-change powder to someone else as part of your training video? This shit is just unbelievable.

Defender on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What happened to the good old days where a boss could comment on his secretary's rack and then nail the hot chick in accounting over his 3 martini lunch break.

Fucking commies ruining this country.

Hunter on
    edited November 2006
    hahaha, magical sex change powder, genius. The writer should get an award for that bold stroke of brilliance. I'm surprised the film didn't end in the guy getting gang-raped in the warehouse, and him looking into the camera with tears in his eyes, saying he will "never sexually harass a woman ever again".

Though, yeah, there are definitely people who can't ever turn off the sexual harrasment faucet, ever. Especially upper management types. Most times, people just let it slide, and thats kinda sad for everyone. Ehh, whatevs.

lostwords on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Nobody's as bad as Todd Packer, though. Nobody.

Except for Big Fat Paulie.

paulie_tn.jpg

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • RonjonRonjon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kevin is easily my favorite character, "Best office meeting ever"

Ronjon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    Ronjon wrote:

You'll be shocked to learn that the two people I like the most are Angela and Stanley.

But I think we all know that the people who make the show are Michael and Dwight, and Jim just kind of facilitates it with assistance from Pam. At least, at far in as I've seen.

Defender on
  • RonjonRonjon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Ronjon wrote:

You'll be shocked to learn that the two people I like the most are Angela and Stanley.

But I think we all know that the people who make the show are Michael and Dwight, and Jim just kind of facilitates it with assistance from Pam. At least, at far in as I've seen.

I agree completely, I think Dwight and micheal are very amusing, and Jim and Pam help make the show have a decent storyline, but everytime Kevin is talking I'm falling out of my chair laughing. I think Stanley and Angela are good too, just not as great as Kevin.

Ronjon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2006
    I think the whole Kelly-Ryan thing is genius, and makes for some of the funnier moments of the show. Ryan talking to her parents was just so uncomfortable the whole way through. So they're both my fave characters. And the new girl, Karen, she's become one to watch at all times.

And Ryan's training episode was tops this season.

lostwords on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:
    Ronjon wrote:

Stanley is by far my favorite "outsider" character. Kevin comes in a close second. As far as people who act the most like they are from scranton... that would be creed... and that fucker is supposed to be canadian.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    I love every character because they are all portrayed so well.

And it blew my mind when I found out that Creed was a parody of the actor who plays him.

Garlic Bread on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kevin is the best ever.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited November 2006
    kevin1.jpg

hahaha, the guy who plays him is in a movie called Moosecock

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Ronjon wrote:

Stanley is by far my favorite "outsider" character. Kevin comes in a close second. As far as people who act the most like they are from scranton... that would be creed... and that fucker is supposed to be canadian.

I liked in Office Olympics (season 1) when Jim was asking what office games people play. Stanley's was "work real hard so my kids can go to college."

Defender on
  • OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ronjon wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Ronjon wrote:

I agree completely, I think Dwight and micheal are very amusing, and Jim and Pam help make the show have a decent storyline, but everytime Kevin is talking I'm falling out of my chair laughing. I think Stanley and Angela are good too, just not as great as Kevin.

dudes

Creed

Okami on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:

Well the shit they made them watch was worse. "Crossing the Line"

"Yo. I-I banged this girl right here. You are naughty."

<3 Darryl.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited November 2006
    Fallingman wrote:
    Wait. OK. So series three? I'm used to there being only 2...

Not being in the US - I kinda did what everyone else did over this way and watched the first few American episodes (where the storyline was a direct reference to the English Version) and thought Meh... Nothing new, just the same old jokes not done as well.

--I'm not doing the standard "linking my enjoyment of The Office to my personal dislike of Bush" thing, just how the 1st 2 episodes played to me.

I gather from this thread that at some point it deviated from the original series. Could someone who is familiar with both tell be at what point this happened? Was it during the 1st series? did they just start writing a fresh 2nd? I'm quite curious and reckon that if it distanced itself from the source material it might have potential.

So whats the deal? Different? or are they stretching the same material out for a longer, slower, more painful death?

Season 1 Pilot was essentially the Brit Pilot, with a couple of cultural references changed ("I call her Camilla Parker-Bowles---->I call her Hillary Rodham Clinton.") The second episode was the first original script with just a dash of inspiration from the UK version. From then on, they did their own thing. Season 2 was the high water mark.

"Fat Halpert!"

3z07uwp.jpg

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2006
    any time I think of Daryl, I think of when they told michael he had a small penis

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    any time I think of Daryl, I think of when they told michael he had a small penis

"where'd you get those pants? Queers R Us?"
    "Yeah, or Boys r Us"

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited November 2006
    Defender wrote:

Well the shit they made them watch was worse. "Crossing the Line"

"Yo. I-I banged this girl right here. You are naughty."

<3 Darryl.

"Crossing the Line" or "Where is the Line" or whatever is about average, maybe even better than average, for those kind of films.

"HEY, DARRYL BANGED THE GIRL IN THAT VIDEO CORPORATE SENT US! ... like ninety percent sure."

Defender on
  • Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    dinkin flicka

Carl with a K on
    edited November 2006
    oh man i laughed so hard at that episode

"More instructions to follow."

Also, my theory: [spoiler:b9dc145bd4]Jim and Pam, Roy and other chick[/spoiler:b9dc145bd4]

Garlic Bread on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Also, my theory: [spoiler:c72526812c]Jim and Pam, Roy and other chick[/spoiler:c72526812c]
    THAT THEORY PISSES ME OFF TO THE VERY CORE

JIM AND NEW GIRL IS THE BATTLE CRY OF THE NEW SEASON D:D:D:

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Also, my theory: [spoiler:235b900c3c]Jim and Pam, Roy and other chick[/spoiler:235b900c3c]
    THAT THEORY PISSES ME OFF TO THE VERY CORE

JIM AND NEW GIRL IS THE BATTLE CRY OF THE NEW SEASON D:D:D:

scarlet obviously jim and the new girl will not last
    are you dumb at tv watching?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    i liked the subtle humor of the british one.
    not to start a faggotty debate.
    i like the american one too.

Drano on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:88148f175b]new girl runs away with creed[/spoiler:88148f175b]

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    man the whole faxes from the future thing was pretty gold

Axim on
  • suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i tried to find naked pictures of new girl and failed :(

suttbecks on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Old or not, Dwight the Hero makes me laugh every time.

Alpine on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    axiumxp wrote:
    man the whole faxes from the future thing was pretty gold

Yes, especially when Dwight charges Stanley and knocks the coffe right outta his hand.

CptKemzik on