As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Will Wright: Spore coming to Wii, and his gaming likes and dislikes

13»

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Crashmo wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    I will make a planet of hats.

Ahahahhaha

I do hope you mean top hats and/or bowlers.

This is fantastic news, btw!

Bowler hats. I plan to have them be able to move by putting time legs on the bottom. Their teeth and any required organs will be on the inside of the hat.

Couscous on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

-A galaxy populated by creatures based upon Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I eagerly await to hunt your mattress people.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Penis-people? Vagina-monsters? Has Tycho taught you nothing?

Larval sacks bristleing with nipples!

LightRider on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    LightRider wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Not long to go until my Tyranid horde engulfs the galaxy under a chitinous fist of dread!

Not when they meet up with my Land Raiders!

For the Emperor!

My Andalites would mess you up.

See how there's nothing under "Lifespan"?

That's cause they don't got none cause they're gonna be eating Storm Bolter rounds!

Edit: Idea I just had, Spore Arena! Two crimes against nature enter, one monstrosity leaves!

LightRider on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Giraffes. Their necks are so long and slender.

Couscous on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pata wrote: »

-A galaxy populated by creatures based upon Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I eagerly await to hunt your mattress people.

And I eagerly await destroying your worlds to make way for hyperspace bypasses.

I imagine the hardest one to make will be the creatures with 50 arms. I'm thinking something like a Koosh ball, but with arms instead of little rubber hair-like things.

Speed Racer on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When is Wright going to do what needs to be done and make a next gen Sim Ant?

Thats what we've all been waiting for.

Bloods End on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Randall_Flagg on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Is this game ever coming out?

It seems like it has been in production since forever.

They first announced it in March of 2005.

It seems longer.

It's getting up on three years now. That's a fairly long time.

recent article i read said it had been in development since about 2000. We've only known about it for around 3 years.

Hence why I said "announced." Production prior to the announcement is entirely a imaginary number as far as anticipation goes. We've been waiting for the game for three years, no matter how long it's been being worked on.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wiki says that EA will vet uploaded content to see how much a certain creation is picked to be downloaded, and if its popular, will automatically upload to everyone's galaxy.

Sepah on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm just worried about how this game will fare once the whole "create a race" novelty wears off.

It's good that they're finally starting to make strides in procedurally created content, as I'm sure it will have amazing impacts on future games, but I can't say I'm too enthused about Spore past the "Oh look, something new" level.

Javen on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Not long to go until my Tyranid horde engulfs the galaxy under a chitinous fist of dread!

Not when they meet up with my Land Raiders!

For the Emperor!

My Andalites would mess you up.

See how there's nothing under "Lifespan"?

That's cause they don't got none cause they're gonna be eating Storm Bolter rounds!

Edit: Idea I just had, Spore Arena! Two crimes against nature enter, one monstrosity leaves!

You're thinking too simple.
    Sporeablo

jothki on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

You mean like these?
    alienhats.jpg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Axen wrote: »

You mean like these?
    alienhats.jpg

I actually thought he meant like the hat from Meet the Robinsons.

God I love that movie. Such a softy for it.

devoir on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ahh... I figured out what race to create. A race so vile that upon encountering it, players shall know that for their reality, hope has died.

Not the penis monsters, not the vagina creatures, not even the cthuluesque creations of a deranged mind shall stand against them for more than a moment.

gremlin3.jpg

A race that can breed infinitely with a source of water, can master technology and various fields of science, can modify itself, potentially with cybernetics, and is naturally inclined to a warlike and hostile demeanor. Its perfect!

Sepah on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if EA will vet/be liable for copyright infringment. There is probably something in the EULA saying "User is responsible for copyright infringments."

LewieP on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, computer-generated media has a slightly odd position in copyright law anyway, at least in the UK.

Xagarath on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I wonder if EA will vet/be liable for copyright infringment. There is probably something in the EULA saying "User is responsible for copyright infringments."

Wasn't there some trouble with City of Heroes? I recall some kind of wrangling over whether the publisher was liable for people creating thinly veiled copies of Marvel and DC characters.

EDIT: According to Wiki, Marvel sued NCsoft, but the case was settled out of court.

japan on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

I wonder if it will have all sorts of voided stuff in the creature creation tool like City of Heroes.

Edit: Beat'd. I fail at reading.

The_Scarab on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't think they can get in trouble for giving people the tools to infringe copyrights, but would distributing those creations to everyone's galaxies be a no-no?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That would be the point. What I make out of LEGOs is nobody else's business, but if LEGO then took my designs and included them with LEGO sets, that could be copyright enfringment.

LewieP on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    After I get bored with just making utter abominations and crime against nature, I shall attempt to make the following in this game:

-A planet inhabited by creatures identical to the ones on earth.

I've been thinking for a while that it would be cool if in each game there was a replica of our solar system hidden amongst all the stars. And on Earth there would be little humans and Earth animals going about their lives, maybe getting as far as the moon or Mars.

Like tiny, simpler version of SimCity in every copy of Spore. And then you get to abduct them and perform experiments and conquer them, War of the Worlds style.

Jimothy on
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, Will Wright came by to do a presentation for MS Research, regarding emergence and simulation in games. I went, along with a bunch of co-workers. Man, it was awesome. I wish there was a recording of it that could be broadcast, but I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be public, which is unfortunate. From what I've been told, though, it's similar to his presentations at GDC (entertaining but also thought provoking).

Anyway, he didn't really say too much Spore related, other than it was coming soon (first half of 2008 hopefully), which we knew already. No screenshots or anything either, but we did learn a lot about how he came about designing his previous games, and how it applies to Spore. Very cool stuff.

I want to learn more about ants now.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com