As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, October 30, 2015 - Stirring the Pot

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, October 30, 2015 - Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

http://campcomic.com/comic/259

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    But she looks so nice. Fred is even a good cook! Why? Why would send adorable Fred away? :(

Little details are nice. The disappearing ring. Brian using his knife. Malachi standing on the stool was cute.

Kitty, your eyes betray you.

• WestIndianAgoutiWestIndianAgouti Registered User regular
    ohhhhhh s*** :(

• kingcrow15kingcrow15 Registered User regular
    i love the design on her!

• jpylusjpylus Registered User new member
    I have loved this comic from it's inception, but this is the first arc where I am so into the story that I have forgotten to even look for the hidden kitty. Keep up the great work, Katie!

• GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    That Succubus! Obviously she's secretly a succubus in disguise. Why else would she convince Fred's father to send him away?

edited October 2015
    Fans HATE her!
    Artists discover ONE WEIRD TRICK to creating the most reviled character in comic!

I was happier thinking the dad offed himself, because at least then he wouldn't be party to sending Fred away. I mean that's still possible, but unlikely. The being complicit part.

Edit: wow, I sound like a monster.

briguy on
  • Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    one eye is covered. I see a plot from the Illuminati

• AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    We're being set up. Curse you adorable comic.

• OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    I think we're gonna find out there's not a thing wrong with this woman.

Something tells me Fred doesn't handle this very well... at all...

... so off to camp he goes.

That'd be an interesting twist. That this time it's not the malevolent or negligent parents but the sweet little boy who loves to cook spazzed when dad found new love.

Still pretty twisted sending your son to an island where children go to be forgotten and it certainly means the parent(s) are depraved. However, it doesn't stand to reason this couldn't have all worked out had Fred just accepted it.

I'm speculating, of course. She could be some kind of demon lady. But Katie is a whiz with body language and the woman's expression/stance in response to Fred's doesn't suggest some type of typical harlot with evil intent. I think if she wanted us to get the impression that this woman was here to sow misery she would have illustrated it that way. I could be wrong. I suppose I'll have to wait until tuesday to find out

Oh, that is an interesting possibility!

Still, they sent him away to deadly place.

But oh... What if Fred tried to poison her?
    Still fucked up, but oh man suddenly more twisted possibilities.

@KINGCROW15 I like her design as well, as well as all the other minor / minute details. Kudos to Katie and Adam once again! However, I wanna bring something to your attention : You'll notice that the lady's face is partially covered by her hair, obscuring her left eye (in fact almost half her face is blocked out), giving her visage a shady appearance. This might actually be a metaphor for happiness / darkness, with her personality being manifested in her face (think two-face from Batman). On one hand, she appears to be this kind-hearted woman, on the other, a total bitch. This kinda reminds me of the episode of the Powerpuff Girls where Sedusa was posing as the Professor's love interest to turn him against the girls.

• ZotzZotz Registered User new member
    I am worried that the following happens. They become a happy family but then she makes dinner one night and his Dad makes a comment about how great it is to finally have someone cook for him again and Fred poisons them both. Then the comic ends with Seventeen saying this was fun and she would love to cook sometime as she leaves the cabin. The scene ends with Fred staring at her from behind with his left eye twitching.

• CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    Dad's not wearing his ring in the last panel. This doesn't bode well.

• aarond12aarond12 Registered User regular
    If poisoning happens, it must be Fred poisoning the new girlfriend. Someone has to drop Fred off at Camp, so at least one person must be left alive. He is pretty good with that knife, though...

• Zorlock DarksoulZorlock Darksoul Registered User regular
    I love how every new comic in this chapter makes everyone (myself included) re-evaluate theories about how Fred ended up at camp.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Papa sure moves fast.

Is dead mom's body even cold yet?

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Oh the ring is gone... The ring is gone and there's a new lady in the picture..

The ring is gone, there's a new lady in the picture and now he's at camp...

I went from feeling really sorry for the dad to hating him in seven panels.

• DarkcloudDarkcloud Registered User new member
    edited October 2015
    @Oddfish
    I like that theory. But I'm calling "new girlfriend gets pregnant, then Fred becomes an afterthought and a nuisance" right here. Could start acting out, then off to camp.

It's all step-fun-and-games until your own progeny comes along.

Darkcloud on
  • RadnortuwsRadnortuws Registered User new member
    Of note, isn't this the first time we've seen an adult's face directly? Up until now they've all been silhouettes or turned away. So why do we need to see her face? If it was just to show it wasn't the mom, I think the red hair would have been enough. Looking forward to seeing this story continue!

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    I think we're gonna find out there's not a thing wrong with this woman.

Something tells me Fred doesn't handle this very well... at all...

... so off to camp he goes.

That'd be an interesting twist. That this time it's not the malevolent or negligent parents but the sweet little boy who loves to cook spazzed when dad found new love.

Still pretty twisted sending your son to an island where children go to be forgotten and it certainly means the parent(s) are depraved. However, it doesn't stand to reason this couldn't have all worked out had Fred just accepted it.

I'm speculating, of course. She could be some kind of demon lady. But Katie is a whiz with body language and the woman's expression/stance in response to Fred's doesn't suggest some type of typical harlot with evil intent. I think if she wanted us to get the impression that this woman was here to sow misery she would have illustrated it that way. I could be wrong. I suppose I'll have to wait until tuesday to find out

Who said it was an island?

• SunBroSolaireSunBroSolaire Registered User regular
    I'm curious if the mother left or died now.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    AAAAAHHHH!! NO! NO! I CAN'T BEAR TO WATCH! I'M GOING TO HIDE UNDER A ROCK UNTIL THIS ARC IS OVER! IT'S NOT ON YOU, KATIE AND ADAM! I'm just a wuss...

• patrizl001patrizl001 Registered User regular
    PREPARE FOR THE FEELS

• gigyas6gigyas6 Registered User new member
    @Finnish_Line
    a) Mother could not be dead.
    b) These flashbacks could be spanning the time of months. Years, even.

• mturner23462mturner23462 Registered User regular
    Calling the last panel of this arc. Fred sitting at a table eating fast food as new girl and dad head out to eat dressed for someplace fancy....

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    "real soup" ... "in cans." ah, poor deluded Malachi.
    and I hope there are no Brian fingers on today's haute cuisine menu.
    and little 17 barely got any face-time at all.

hajen on
    Sarge wrote: »
    Who said it was an island?

I was just thinking about we know about the location.
    It's surrounded by a mountain, the deep woods, and the one safe entrance that we know of. The entrance is reachable by car at least (and whoever delivered Seventeen). But supply drops are exclusively through air so far, so there is some reason that no one goes through entrance except to abandon kids. Also no one came to rescue that downed paratrooper. Curse, science experiment, other hazard, no one thought hey why don't we just leave through the entrance, who knows?

But back to the location. We know it has a fresh water lake that is fed by a river.

We know it has wildlife: mountain lions, beavers, squirrels, snakes, bats, weasels, possums, frogs, and bears (Malachi scared them away, but lest we not forget Seventeen's poll-tice was made from bear poo). Spiders, earwigs and other insects also exist there. Presumably fish survive in the lake since Steve and Steven were fishing once. Cats presumably didn't live there, at least not in vast quantities, until the feral cat supply drop. So the area has to be far from human civilization.

There are also no discernible seasons as the campers cannot keep up with the date without notches. Or at least the seasons haven't been shown to change yet.

Therefore they must be in Westeros.

@ BRIGUY You say it's far from human civilization, which leads us to believe that this place is in the middle of literally nowhere. That's pretty accurate, but, I wonder if the wider world is in on the camp as well...Think about that. There would be passenger planes, satellite imaging (think Google maps), aerial photography etc. as well as other modern day technologies present in their world, as it's set in the modern day. It would seem very odd to me that from different perspectives (such as from a bird's eye view), that the camp would not have been spotted or at least inquired about. That is, unless, there's a silent majority who know what's going on ...

Also, to follow up on my previous comment, I'm going to be the typical foreigner and make a strong guess that the camp is located somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I don't know why I think so, but it just has that look about it.

Well, we know parents and siblings of all socioeconomic backgrounds know of its existence from the upper class of Dani and Malachi, to the middle such as Colin, to the lower such as Tanner and Seventeen. So word of it must spread. And all kinds of unwanted things are sent there in the form of supply drops, so it must be known.
    Maybe it's some sort of deal with the devil type of thing. Some kind of ad, abandon your unwanted, no questions asked.

... What if it's a franchise? We see the North American branch, but what if there are other Camp Weedontwanchas out there?

• KajinKajin Registered User new member
    This makes me sad, thinking about how he ended up here.

@ KAJIN It's always sad to see good kids get treated badly, whatever the circumstances may be. At first I felt sorry for the dad, but now, I kinda hold him in contempt for even thinking about child abandonment as an option.

@ BRIGUY Man, if there are other camps like that out there....Then it's further confirmation that we're morally screwed as a species

• ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    Sorry this is too much. I can't read this any more.

@WestIndianAgouti if you leave a space between the @ and name it doesn't tag the person.

But I agree, I get the feeling it's somewhere the Pacific Northwest.

@BRIGUY Thanks for the tip! :) Also, I kinda based a lot of theories about location on what ive seen on tv. I've only been to Florida so far (mostly to visit some of my relatives who emigrated from Trinidad ), so my first-hand knowledge of the States is pretty limited. :/

@WestIndianAgouti haha, well, that's what most Americans do too. The States are huge, so we just pick up what we can from television (I'm fairly certain Nebraska is just a giant cornfield).

@SUNBROSOLAIRE I think she may have passed away....Although, it is kinda unclear at this point.

• summener99summener99 Registered User regular
    OMG! That girl is not going to like cooking or the cooking he is doing and she is about to trow him in the camp!

OR!!!!

PLOT TWIST!

The father and new mother were having good intenstion or sending him into a COOKING CAMP, but a paperwork mix-up sent our new protagonist into a turmoil and send him instead into he dangerous pit of camp weedonwantcha.

the mix-up happened when the family wanted to send the kid in camp weedonwantchatostarve.

The new found hero brave the environment and did what he could do best! COOK! Seeing hope at the end of the tunnel fill his mind with

DETERMINATION!

• APMEWAPMEW Registered User regular
    kinda feel like theres going to be a Cinderella wicked step mother coming up....