As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kittens like to [chat]

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    And...? I know, I'm invoking Loren's rage here, but that's not what I'd consider fanatic. If the guy told Aldo he'd be rotting in hell, should he not read it... well, that's something different.

I see your point, but there are different ways to be fanatical. I mean, what if the guy hadn't brought back a Bible, but, say a novel by James Joyce? Wouldn't you think that was weird? Some guy you'd never talked to before apparently cares so much about your intellectual development that he went out and got you a book and came back to your house when he had no real reason to be there, just to bring the book to you. I personally would have been weirded out just at the fact that apparently he cared enough to make a special trip back to my house. The fact that he brought a Bible just makes it vaguely irritating because I get enough of that from my boyfriend's mom.
    Well no one said it wasn't weird. It certainly was not something someone would expect on an average day. We're saying it's not fanatical. He's not picketing in front of Aldo's house with a sign that reads "Atheists burn in hell". He didn't refuse to help Aldo until he accepts Jesus as his personal saviour. He didn't talk on and on about how secular liberals are ruining America. He just dropped by after work and gave him a book. A bit odd, for sure, but it doesn't register on my Fundie scale.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And...? I know, I'm invoking Loren's rage here, but that's not what I'd consider fanatic. If the guy told Aldo he'd be rotting in hell, should he not read it... well, that's something different.

I see your point, but there are different ways to be fanatical. I mean, what if the guy hadn't brought back a Bible, but, say a novel by James Joyce? Wouldn't you think that was weird? Some guy you'd never talked to before apparently cares so much about your intellectual development that he went out and got you a book and came back to your house when he had no real reason to be there, just to bring the book to you. I personally would have been weirded out just at the fact that apparently he cared enough to make a special trip back to my house. The fact that he brought a Bible just makes it vaguely irritating because I get enough of that from my boyfriend's mom.
    Yeah. There is really no reason beyond evangelizing to outright go out of your way and give someone a Bible. And if you're going to that effort evangelizing, you're at least a little fanatic.

And "I saw you like to read" is about the flimsiest pretext ever. No one likes reading the Bible.

Elendil on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    I got a book like that from a person at work. It was a Dennis Miller book about his rants, apparently they saw the book thought of me and bought it. I thought it was nice and to me at least a good funny read, still have it.

Yeah sure, but you see this person on a daily basis, right? It's not like your plumber came to your house randomly and said, "Hey, I saw this book and I thought of you."

My plumber used to talk to me about mmos he played and what I was currently playing. If he brought me a book to read, I'd read it. And I hardly saw the person at work, it was kind of weird to get a book like that, but I do like Dennis Miller.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    Well no one said it wasn't weird. It certainly was not something someone would expect on an average day. We're saying it's not fanatical. He's not picketing in front of Aldo's house with a sign that reads "Atheists burn in hell". He didn't refuse to help Aldo until he accepts Jesus as his personal saviour. He didn't talk on and on about how secular liberals are ruining America. He just dropped by after work and gave him a book. A bit odd, for sure, but it doesn't register on my Fundie scale.
    That's why I said "fanatic" and not "fundie". :|

Aldo on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »
    http://www.kptv.com/news/14441750/detail.html

They 'held him down until police arrived' by, apparently, slamming him repeatedly in the face.

I approve.
    Go Go PDX!
    His mug shot reminds me of nothing so much as Uday Hussein's postmortem picture.

Again, I approve.
    I don’t think you’re serious, but given that it’s about rape I’m not sure.

I might be exaggerating, but not very much, considering that the circumstances were about as reprehensible as possible--akin to a grizzly bear attacking someone in a wheelchair.

Considering that the people right there in the building next to where this was happening were more or less sitting there and wringing their hands, New York style, I'm glad at least someone was there to help her. The 'unnamed woman neighbor' in the story was reprehensible.

'Oh, I guess he figured the shrubbery would be good enough for him to do what he had to do...'

What the f***?

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    JPants wrote: »
    http://www.kptv.com/news/14441750/detail.html

They 'held him down until police arrived' by, apparently, slamming him repeatedly in the face.

I approve.
    Go Go PDX!
    His mug shot reminds me of nothing so much as Uday Hussein's postmortem picture.

Again, I approve.
    I don’t think you’re serious, but given that it’s about rape I’m not sure.
    That's really, really impressive.

Fencingsax on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bah

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I got a book like that from a person at work. It was a Dennis Miller book about his rants, apparently they saw the book thought of me and bought it. I thought it was nice and to me at least a good funny read, still have it.

Yeah sure, but you see this person on a daily basis, right? It's not like your plumber came to your house randomly and said, "Hey, I saw this book and I thought of you."

My plumber used to talk to me about mmos he played and what I was currently playing. If he brought me a book to read, I'd read it. And I hardly saw the person at work, it was kind of weird to get a book like that, but I do like Dennis Miller.

Well, I didn't anticipate that you'd have such a close personal relationship with your plumber :P

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007

Well, I didn't anticipate that you'd have such a close personal relationship with your plumber :P

What about the electrician?

Aldo on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, some asshole broke into my car last night through the back part of my back window.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    And "I saw you like to read" is about the flimsiest pretext ever. No one likes reading the Bible.

I tried reading the Bible for fun back when I didn't speak English very well, because I had a friend who was pretty religious. It turned out to be a bad idea, because I had no fucking clue what was going on. There was this passage about a widow standing by the side of the road, and I read the word as "window" because widow wasn't in my vocabulary at the time, and I was really confused that someone would build a window by the side of the road.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    I mean, yeah it’s a good thing they stopped the dude, but beating the crap out of him is unwarranted.

Edit: Especially if you feel prison should be about rehabilitation rather than punishment.

stilist on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm feeling very negative today.

ViolentChemistry on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goodnight [chat]. I love you all but I think 4:15 is about my limit.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    night bob

JPants on
    edited October 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    Goodnight [chat]. I love you all but I think 4:15 is about my limit.

Night. bob. Get some rest :)

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    That's why I said "fanatic" and not "fundie". :|

For me both words feel a bit too... harsh, in this context. But you have other pressing matters to attend to, so I'll back off for now. ;-)

Edit: Night, bob.

What was stolen out of your car, Than? O_o

Haphazard on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Go out and attract some positive people.

Elendil on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Go out and attract some positive people.

admitedly this took me a second to get, then i felt bad about that.

JPants on
    edited October 2007
    Try licking the other battery terminal.

stilist on
    edited October 2007
    crazylegssi1.png

stilist on
    edited October 2007
    For me both words feel a bit too... harsh, in this context. But you have other pressing matters to attend to, so I'll back off for now. ;-)

Edit: Night, bob.

What was stolen out of your car, Than? O_o
    I've given up on my thread, it didn't help me in the slightest.

Aldo on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    So, some asshole broke into my car last night through the back part of my back window.

What is the back part of your back window?

And, that sucks. They take anything? (So the ideas you got from your H/A thread didn't end up working, eh?)

LaOs on
    edited October 2007
    I mean, yeah it’s a good thing they stopped the dude, but beating the crap out of him is unwarranted.

Edit: Especially if you feel prison should be about rehabilitation rather than punishment.

I trust he'll have plenty of time to rehabilitate his face in prison.

Normally I share your opinion, but I'm not going to be put out about it in this kind of case.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    edited October 2007
    LaOs wrote: »

And, that sucks. They take anything? (So the ideas you got from your H/A thread didn't end up working, eh?)
    My back driver's side window has two parts, the part that rolls down, and the part that doesn't; there's, like, a plastic divider between them. They broke into the part closer to the back, that doesn't roll down.

I was dumb enough to leave my Masterlock off, and my radio faceplate in. But no, they didn't take anything. They just broke the window, unlocked the two doors, and popped the trunk. I had no spare tire, and nothing worth taking in the car. They left my papers, my road emergency kit, my jumper cables, and my cheapass radio.

Thanatos on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I think rather than any science jokes I'm going to continue to sit and justify it in my head. Maybe have a cigarette before class.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited October 2007
    My back driver's side window has two parts, the part that rolls down, and the part that doesn't; there's, like, a plastic divider between them. They broke into the part closer to the back, that doesn't roll down.

I was dumb enough to leave my Masterlock off, and my radio faceplate in. But no, they didn't take anything. They just broke the window, unlocked the two doors, and popped the trunk. I had no spare tire, and nothing worth taking in the car. They left my papers, my road emergency kit, my jumper cables, and my cheapass radio.
    So you only need to get your window replaced? That's not bad on the scale of suckage.

Aldo on
    edited October 2007

Some cars have a little triangular window thing between the rear window and the edge of the roof. That could be it.

tuxkamen on

edited October 2007
    I just spoke with an agent whos car got broken into as well. Were you up in Seattle area when they broke in thin?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2007

Oh. I was thinking you were talking about your back window, like the wear windshield.

It still sucks they did it, but they were at least of the variety of "kind" hoodlums/thieves in that they broke that little window rather than one that moves. I think they're cheaper to replace, if I recall.

Hopefully you can get that all worked out rather easily. The whole thing still kind of sucks.

LaOs on
    edited October 2007

Some cars have a little triangular window thing between the rear window and the edge of the roof. That could be it.

That's what I was thinking, after Than explained. It was really the only thing that made sense, but I originally thought he meant his rear windshield, and I was confused and wondering what he was driving.

Anyway, lunch time. See you, [Chat].

LaOs on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it's a fucking 1990 Honda Civic, though, and I just dumped $150 on it after dumping $500 on it a few months ago. It's a pain in the ass.

Also, I suspect the people whose parking space I parked in did it.

Thanatos on
  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Will insurance cover the window? It's not too bad if it doesn't, but if I had to pay even for that because some son of a bitch doesn't want to work for a living, I'd be pretty pissed.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you get a new car? Because if memory serves yours didn't seem worth breaking into last I saw it.

Quid on
    edited October 2007
    Well if his policy is like mine, he might have a high deductible (mine is 500) so insurance would only pay above that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well if his policy is like mine, he might have a high deductible (mine is 500) so insurance would only pay above that.

Would getting a quote from a service of questionable character work?

That is to say, a quote that is inflated?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    Did you get a new car? Because if memory serves yours didn't seem worth breaking into last I saw it.
    It isn't. Which is why I think it was the people whose spot I parked in.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2007
    The car is worth about $1800. Do you really think I have comprehensive on it?

Thanatos on
    edited October 2007
    Well I had no idea the worth of the car, I have comprehensive because my loan requires it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's only acceptable to have 1800 dollar civic if the rims are worth at least that much

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.