As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camelot Unchained] CSE now Unchained Entertainment. CU in late 2025.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Scout class revealed! Play a Wisp, Arisen, or Specter.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll be your Minstrel!

• Options
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    soo, how is this game not Daoc 2 ? im confused, it so seems like Daoc 2.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Draeven wrote: »
    soo, how is this game not Daoc 2 ? im confused, it so seems like Daoc 2.

To be brief:

Leveling is horizontal and your skills become better by use. You create your own skills combination through shapes and branches. Skills are part of the active environment and there are ways of blocking spells (exg you can make a spell that summons a giant wall to block incoming firebolts).

There is no PVE leveling. The economy is player driven and gear is crafted only by the crafter class.

CU classes are very creative, and will not follow the traditional route. The game itself is player funded and they listen to the backer feedback. This game is created by Mythic Entertainment's ex CEO Mark Jacobs.

Housing is there from the start and you can build like you're in minecraft. The map is basically DAOC NF as an island that has been split into shards and mends when you take keeps.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I haven't been paying too much attention to this, and last week I looked it up a bunch and found out as much as I could.

Goddam this is exactly what I want.

Yes please. I'll take seconds.

edit: Also throwing stones at people to heal them is hilarious.

MEDIC!

*bonk*

thankyou

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Unveiled news letter is out. There is some seriously good stuff about CU beta that I wouldn't pass up reading.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Here are some screenshots straight out of twitter.
    dc37cca4-9fe2-4f75-85a9-ae57a3a2136e.jpg

c0ff0227-6307-452f-8368-68770b286374.jpg
    43d94fbe-f030-423d-8535-09add4aaee1d.jpg

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    The question is.
    Can I.
    Have a ride?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    This certainly seems to be taking shape well. Once the first beta's kick off and we have some more info I'll definitely be looking harder at this game. I've always enjoyed the asymmetric sides in DaoC and WAR so it will be interesting to see if this game manages to rekindle some of that fire.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Is there a reference sheet for reading these Class descriptions? What is a Bane/Boon? How do I read these class abilities: what is a shape, primary, secondary, modal?

Even the Bane/Boon page is just a list of all of them, and doesn't describe how they are used or assigned to your character. I assume they are like traits or something? Can you take extra banes for bonus boons?

Haha, reminds me of the old DAoC days when people would put Dex on their mages because it was listed as a Secondary stat even though it did nothing. They are bringing back the old MMO days in more ways than one :P

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Bane and boons are what you choose when you create your character, skill and stat augments and penalties that help shape it. You have to choose a certain amount, they will be balanced after you create your character.

Shapes are what you unlock when you level up your character. Certain shapes define what your skill does as well as some effects that it can have. Basically you create a skill out of shapes and you unlock more and more secondary shapes ect.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The Camelot Unchained website was updated recently. Here is the link.

Also, the OP has been redone and is now 500% more lean than before.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Green Menace HarareRegistered User regular
    Some recent visual improvements (light and stuff) with comments - http://imgur.com/a/Ec7Yk

PS since the crafting link (couple posts above) is broken, I guess CU Wiki will have to do meantime - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/Crafting

3014467-ezgif.com-crop%283%29.gif
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    they just hit their stretch goal of 3.9m too!

• Options
    they just hit their stretch goal of 3.9m too!

That is, the next - yet to be announced - SG is ticking o,O (and just BTW, total budget ATM is above $7M - 3.9 is just the pledgemeter).

Completely offtopic, here's CloakingDonkey on crafting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sQODKwvjkQ

There is bunch of other CU stuff on his channel -

• Options
    The CSE guys are on crunch time trying to get beta out the door on a timely manner. Updated the OP with the new stretch goal.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of stretch goal (roleplayers / animations), this is how we see ourselves:

64e55039845e9a00a8c6d8598f0573cc.jpg

...and this is how CSE sees us (new stretch goal artwork):

rolePlay_duck2.jpg

PS I wanted to update thread with couple (dozens) links, but then I realized that simply linking CU reddit will do much better job - https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/

• Options
    Here is some recent info on sieges, you can choose format as you wish - a written summary or a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP14JFmnbXk&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Currently they are testing CUBE before releasing beta. I know things have been quiet, but that doesn't mean they haven't been busy working. Here's a link to their latest update.

Here's the art for a couple swords; Arthurian and TDD.

de8664a5-6c9a-49e3-887d-3df7bab581ba.jpg
    41e6d669-36ae-48c0-8922-bf8f97846332.jpg

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    New newsletter is up. Lots of sword art displayed which can be found below.

They have passed 1 billion blocks being laid out by backers in C.U.B.E. , which given the number of current backers, is a ton.

Here's some of the sword art:

More Arthurian:
    bfaccf37-386e-49ee-9d6e-a9e8d4138675.jpg[img][/img]

Viking:
    de699534-eb85-479f-a0aa-bc2ba2a730c6.jpg
    3a87f77d-fd89-45ae-94c5-bc12e3cbb701.jpg
    671bda8d-0829-451a-a6d7-65a0c790d4a0.jpg

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    CSE just opened a second studio (!) in Seattle, hired four additional programmers (!!) and got some extra funding - http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/17/camelot-unchained-is-opening-a-second-studio-in-seattle/

PS Beta should happen "this summer" - info from livestream yesterday, and here are some bits of procedurally generated world they are working on:

952896cc-f53c-421e-ba24-d4766a0c1445.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Added a bunch of new Art/modeling in a new spoiler tab on the OP.

Recently Mark disclosed that CSE opened up an outsourced office in Redmond Washington and hired 4 programmers to help get the game and beta out the doors quicker.

Mark also stated he and an unknown donator are the ones paying for the outsourcing, so no money from Backers are going to be put towards these new programmers.

Many wonder when there are going to be more stretch goals. Mark stated that there will be more as the game hits different milestones, such as beta 1.\

Here's the latest art from CU:
    9610a1b6-c50d-45d5-8488-c9235cb3e53c.jpg

7ec71a1f-9266-4941-8baa-a9ad2bcb67da.jpg

51954170-3c9d-4944-bad4-64766b744f5d.jpg

41d4c617-9d02-486c-95f1-72fac55a53a4.jpg

d543c06f-be2d-4bf0-b0e1-d35d17575fe3.jpg

d9180bfc-6dc3-4745-872f-a78fe0e7a45a.jpg

2fffba2c-9493-48ef-a59f-80c77d990506.jpg

fbeeac6e-b10b-4c2e-aaba-0d2860bb50ab.jpg

46dc6fb8-4023-41b1-a753-b7e530bb15d5.jpg

e70ff4be-9951-431f-a671-2300af2e942c.jpg

e1ab8f50-aa95-47f3-8615-c5be1977d98f.jpg

9d663be2-f26b-4690-bcd9-37d95e9b866a.jpg

c44bf48e-ae98-4398-818f-847234f1052a.jpg

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Hate to be that guy but it seems weird to me to be talking about 4 additional developers like it's a lot for the development of an MMO. Doesn't make me feel very good about the budget for this game.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Too many cooks in the kitchen, etc

art assets are more of a burden than coders, they're likely using an engine

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Hate to be that guy but it seems weird to me to be talking about 4 additional developers like it's a lot for the development of an MMO. Doesn't make me feel very good about the budget for this game.

That's natural way of thinking - it all depends on the perspective and what you are trying to make. For a themepark with PvE i.e. quests/raids these numbers would be minor, for an indie team making sandbox game these are huge.

Say, Camelot Unchaned has one of the biggest indie teams outthere ( ~30) and it's number of programmers just grew to 13, mostly senior ones. The reason for excitement is the fact that programmers, especialy senior ones and especially lately, are both expensive and very hard to find. It took CSE more than a year to finally solve this problem.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

4 developers is a ton for a software project assuming they are talented and focused. The 150+ AAA teams are an example of everything wrong with modern game development. Its why you end up with Watch Dogs, or Batman games running at 15 fps on an overpowered PC.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Art, design, and production will often be much bigger teams than the purely development team.

I watched the credits on a game s couple weeks ago and there were 8 names listed as programming out of ~100

On topic, I'm really interested to see what this game does. DAoC was a fun game, one of my favorites. WAR had potential, but I think they were to ambitious early on. This is looking to be a unique experience so far.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm excited to hear more about the beta for this. Been following it passively for a while and like a lot of what I am seeing.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have this on my radar to the point where I will probably dual boot my PC to have a go at this when it releases in some form.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Recently CSE started streaming every day, and will continue to all summer long. Mark dubbed this "Hot Streamy Summer". Tune in to twitch and watch them work on the game live!

Mark announced Beta 1 is aimed for the end of summer.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Here are the new photos from CU displayed in the newest CSE newsletter.
    eca8dc01-5563-4451-b364-f78a6d59619f.jpg[img][/img]

a03b55b6-058d-4373-948a-df9551b92bce.jpg

1a4e5e3c-7f8e-4cae-9cef-bac989ab47ba.jpg

43f576ce-57b9-4a5a-8c5e-3a273eb0c9e7.jpg

a1e08a1d-5236-4857-9206-b87b46c12e2e.jpg

d4467121-711a-462f-a991-ddd699dc5811.jpg

055e44bc-df9a-4d88-b227-0dd8ce73063d.jpg

83f5b6ac-b923-43f3-9ecb-92affda28879.jpg

4747e60f-84d2-4c6b-99f2-063933e3078f.jpg

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it looks very nice

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Art, design, and production will often be much bigger teams than the purely development team.

I watched the credits on a game s couple weeks ago and there were 8 names listed as programming out of ~100

On topic, I'm really interested to see what this game does. DAoC was a fun game, one of my favorites. WAR had potential, but I think they were to ambitious early on. This is looking to be a unique experience so far.

WAR took me the other way. It convinced me this format isn't tenable anymore. Still, I'm eagerly watching.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

WAR took me the other way. It convinced me this format isn't tenable anymore. Still, I'm eagerly watching.

Oh that game... I liked a good chunk of it except for the goddamn bright wizard PBAOE bullshit.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041