As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa: Proxy says, "See ya next year!"

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    s8jdcwlr24bv.gif
    Sadly, no picture of the box. I opened it assuming it was something I had ordered from Amazon. and opened it before I took a picture of it's boxy amazon-ess.

Fortunately, the contents of the box were wrapped, so it's time to put the Christmas tribble to work.
    092w8gcu36ca.jpg

There's a note that's of interest.
    naloo3zsl6xp.jpg
    Gift 3 of 5:
    Thing better
    And a conundrum.
    Do I open the present? Do I wait for the other packages and open them together?
    Do I trust the Christmas tribble with it's x-acto knife when my back is turned?

Yesterday, another box arrived from Amazon, this time I correctly deduced that it was a gift (the label saying "Gift Inside" was a great tipoff). I took pictures yesterday, but misplaced the USB cord for my phone. A quick trip to WalMart to buy a new one means I can put the pictures up now (and that I'll be finding my old cable sometime in the next 25 minutes).

As usual, it's time to put the tribble to work.
    s6b688gwxwcy.jpg
    It's understandably frustrated by my failure to open the previous package so far, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one Santa, and the tribble is sticking to the knife. Don't anger the tribble.
    But the labels say there are 5 boxes coming, I'm waiting for 5 boxes.

And the four boxes that have arrived:
    zsn7ml32in28.jpg
    In case my potato phone camera or the rush Paint job to reduce the size has rendered them unreadable, the labels present a full question:
    What is
    The only
    Thing better
    Than spaceships?

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    For the salt block thing, can you use an electric stove?

PSN: jfrofl
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »
    Just to follow up to my post, I've now read about 3/4s of the cookbook and took the salt block out to view it in all it's glory! It's so majestic!
    XEygyxf.jpg[img][/img]

In addition, I've received an unexpected package containing a full set of solid metal gaming dice. I only assume these are from my Santa because I don't know of anyone else who ordered me things! The picture below does NOT do them justice..these things are solid and could be used as a weapon in a pinch! I can't wait to murder some orcs with them!
    b2pIpUp.jpg[img][/img]

Those are nice metal dice!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    What is
    The only
    Thing better
    Than spaceships?

More spaceships?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That Nicki Minaj song was pretty good

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Handgimp wrote: »
    What is
    The only
    Thing better
    Than spaceships?

More spaceships?

I was thinking true love, but I think that's a bit out of the expectations of a forum Secret Santa.

• KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Apparently you can, but they suggest you use a metal ring of some kind to prevent direct contact with the heating element. Explosions may ensue if you don't. I have a gas grill and gas stove-top, though. I tried it tonight, btw, on a pork loin I had gotten for something else. It was amazing! Now I want to try beef flank steak or try searing tuna on it.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My santee hasn't reported on whether or not the first parcel arrived, so I'll be mega bummed if this means there'll be an issue with the second. :(

wVEsyIc.png
  • ihaveachairihaveachair Registered User regular
    s8jdcwlr24bv.gif

So I came home to this lovely package today! I opened it up...
    ECD29254-A07F-4B5E-B27C-A846CA3AA658_zpsfmfchb6t.jpg

Yaay! I know I didn't provide a lot of direction at all and am difficult to stalk because I am legit never on. I also heard through the grapevine that your little arrival came a lot sooner than anticipated(as I'm sitting here desperately wanting mine to pop out IMMEDIATELY), so finding something that combined cooking(which I LOVE) with Harry Potter(which I MEGA-LOVE) was a win-win! It was an awesome and thoughtful gift to get. Thanks @anoffday!

3v72GoR.jpg
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122

Apparently you can, but they suggest you use a metal ring of some kind to prevent direct contact with the heating element. Explosions may ensue if you don't. I have a gas grill and gas stove-top, though. I tried it tonight, btw, on a pork loin I had gotten for something else. It was amazing! Now I want to try beef flank steak or try searing tuna on it.

So this is a thing you put on a burner like a pot, and cook steaks on it?! My mind can't comprehend what you are doing with salt.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

So this is a thing you put on a burner like a pot, and cook steaks on it?! My mind can't comprehend what you are doing with salt.

I'm with you, this just sounds so odd to me. I'm curious though, is it just meat? My is a vegetarian, so is it something that is useful?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

I'm with you, this just sounds so odd to me. I'm curious though, is it just meat? My is a vegetarian, so is it something that is useful?

From looking it up it looks like it could be useful for kebabs or asparagus or what ever. I am thinking I might have to pick myself up one.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    @see317 did it again! This time he sent me the NEOGEO 25th Anniversary Bundle! Thank you!!

I have a bunch of friends would love to play a majority of these games with me so it's the perfect supplemental gift!

• WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    Salt Blocks are so so sooo good to sear Tuna, Steak, or really any other Protein on. They aren't so good with the Vege's unless you like a good Crispness to them =)

We used to have a place called "Steak on a Stone" near us...you would cook your steak on a stone that they would heat up and place at your table, you could also opt for the Salt Blocks =)

steam_sig.png
    After some research, I'm way too lazy for a salt block, but they sound very neat and sounds like they taste delicious. I never would have thought you could heat salt to such high temperatures and cook on it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    lfg827uevysy.gif

Yesterday, my wife saw that we got a package from Amazon and was a little confused as we didn't order anything recently so she called me to see what was up. I explained to her what was going on but after dinner at night we had a recital to go to and then we had to put the kids to bed so, here's the late report.
    0vxv4259xb40.gif

It's true that I don't have a lot of kid games though they do love it when I bring out Shadows of Camelot. This will be a lot of fun to play with them.
    2h0cs8qkl2vw.gif

11kbaclq187c.gif

Lego is always a big hit and we didn't have any Minecraft lego.

oui3lq58y8rq.gif

The kids have already divided up the figures amongst themselves.

y6y4ltr88lhs.gif

Finally, my wife was quite pleased with this and went through the cookbook during the night, making notes on things she will want to cook later.

iyswctkgw9b6.gif

Overall, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to this mystery Santa. My kids love it. I love it. And my wife loves it. I'll post lots o' photos when the Lego is up and running as well as when my wife cooks. Your generosity is amazing and astounding.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    s8jdcwlr24bv.gif

So I came home to this lovely package today! I opened it up...
    ECD29254-A07F-4B5E-B27C-A846CA3AA658_zpsfmfchb6t.jpg

Yaay! I know I didn't provide a lot of direction at all and am difficult to stalk because I am legit never on. I also heard through the grapevine that your little arrival came a lot sooner than anticipated(as I'm sitting here desperately wanting mine to pop out IMMEDIATELY), so finding something that combined cooking(which I LOVE) with Harry Potter(which I MEGA-LOVE) was a win-win! It was an awesome and thoughtful gift to get. Thanks @anoffday!

Glad you like it @ihaveachair there should be more on the way. Amazon must have split it up.

Steam: offday
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh man, we got Forbidden Island not too long ago and really enjoy it in our family game night rotation.

PSN: jfrofl
    WillyDub wrote: »
    Salt Blocks are so so sooo good to sear Tuna, Steak, or really any other Protein on. They aren't so good with the Vege's unless you like a good Crispness to them =)

We used to have a place called "Steak on a Stone" near us...you would cook your steak on a stone that they would heat up and place at your table, you could also opt for the Salt Blocks =)

So, you say protein. . . Tofu? It can be hard to get a good crisp edge on tofu sometimes.

So if you are a santee and get a gift, but don't know who it is from, how long do you wait before you ask? Alternatively, if you are a santa, and the santee doesn't know who you are how long do you wait?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular

So, you say protein. . . Tofu? It can be hard to get a good crisp edge on tofu sometimes.

I don't consider Tofu to even be a real thing. But if it were to be a real thing, i would think yes it can get a good crust when it's heated properly =) Not as good a crust a plain ol' Skillet though!

steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular

So if you are a santee and get a gift, but don't know who it is from, how long do you wait before you ask? Alternatively, if you are a santa, and the santee doesn't know who you are how long do you wait?

I still don't know who my Santa was last year. I'll have to go look at the 2014 wall, maybe it's on there.

camo_sig2.png
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    lfg827uevysy.gif

Yesterday, my wife saw that we got a package from Amazon and was a little confused as we didn't order anything recently so she called me to see what was up. I explained to her what was going on but after dinner at night we had a recital to go to and then we had to put the kids to bed so, here's the late report.
    0vxv4259xb40.gif

It's true that I don't have a lot of kid games though they do love it when I bring out Shadows of Camelot. This will be a lot of fun to play with them.
    2h0cs8qkl2vw.gif

11kbaclq187c.gif

oui3lq58y8rq.gif

y6y4ltr88lhs.gif

Finally, my wife was quite pleased with this and went through the cookbook during the night, making notes on things she will want to cook later.

iyswctkgw9b6.gif

Overall, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to this mystery Santa. My kids love it. I love it. And my wife loves it. I'll post lots o' photos when the Lego is up and running as well as when my wife cooks. Your generosity is amazing and astounding.

It was I!
    4MonsieurLeClerk.jpg

I was starting to worry that I had entered the address wrong, since USPS was just sending the package back and forth between different cities. So I'm glad it arrived :biggrin:

I have no idea if any og the recipies in cookbook are any good. Actually I have no idea if they resemble Nordic breakfast at all. I just choose this pan because it had a recipie for Æbleskiver included, and that was the most important part. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experiences, but dont be discouraged if they get super ugly the først time. It takes a bit og practise to get them perfectly round.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    Hello again, jolly ones!
    Just a friendly reminder that Proxy is happy to deliver any and all messages, the only info Proxy needs is who the message is for and a message to be used verbatim. Proxy has small elf fingers and does his best work via keyboard shortcut (Proxy likes Control, as well as the letters C and V!).

HAPPY ARCADEMAS ONE AND ALL!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
    jclast wrote: »

I still don't know who my Santa was last year. I'll have to go look at the 2014 wall, maybe it's on there.

Ok, than I won't worry. I just don't want to commit a SS G&T fax pas (I looked this up, I am used to slang fopa. I wanted to be edumecated.)

TimFiji wrote: »
    Present awesome stuffs:
    avhnlfb2ptxm.jpg
    ke28dg57uzi7.jpg

@TimFiji

Found out the site that had the rules for hachi-hachi went down, but fortunately the internet archive had it saved!

Koi Koi scoring is nicely laid out here: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/hanafuda/rule_e.html
    Rules are fairly simple and on the Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi-Koi

Hachi Hachi (88) is a three player game and apparently was the method most often used for gambling. It's a bit harder to find the rules for it, and I was never able to get someone to translate the Japanese rules included in my Nintendo set. It's a bit ugly, but here's a copy-paste from the archived site: (https://web.archive.org/web/20080930214656/http://hanafubuki.org/hachihachi.html)
    Number of Players: 3 (for 2 player rules, see below)

Cards Used: 1 full deck of 48 cards

Game Length: 12 rounds

Goal: To form captured hands and capture high scoring cards

The dealer deals 7 cards to each player and 6 cards to the field. The deck is placed in the middle of the field.

Here's an example of a Hachi-Hachi starting position with the 3 players' hands, the field and the deck:

Each round's scoring is affected by the initial cards in the field. This change in scoring affects all point values (including the cost of folding). There are 3 kinds of fields. The kinds of fields, their conditions, and their affects on scoring is as follows:

Small Field
    小場
    There are no lights in the field
    Points are as normal
    Large Field
    大場
    The Pine, Sakura, or Moon cards are in the field
    Points are doubled
    Grand Field
    絶場
    The Rain or Phoenix cards are in the field
    Points are quadrupled

If there are 2 lights in the field, the higher field is put into affect. If there are 2 lights of the same field value (such as Rain and Phoenix), the next round's field is the same kind as that of the current round.

Once the players have their hands they need to check them for any dealt hands they may have received. There are 47 dealt hands in Hachi-Hachi which can be a little intimidating. In fact, there are only 12 basic hands; the rest of the hands are combinations of those 12. You can only have one dealt hand from the list; they don't stack. Here is a list of each hand's name, contents, and point value:

The Basic 12

Three (三本)
    You have 3 cards from the same month
    24 points
    Standing Three (立三本)
    You have 3 cards from April, May, or July,
    or the 3 dregs from December.
    36 points
    Red (赤)
    You have 2 poetry slips and 5 dregs.
    36 points
    One Slip (短一)
    You have 1 poetry slip and 6 dregs.
    36 points
    One Ten (十一)
    You have 1 animal card and 6 dregs.
    36 points
    Wither (からす)
    You have 7 dregs.
    48 points
    One Light (光一)
    You have 1 light and 6 dregs.
    48 points
    Lead (喰付)
    You have 3 pairs (2 cards from the same month).
    48 points
    Four (手四)
    You have 4 cards from the same month.
    72 points
    Haneken
    You have 3 cards from the same month and 2 pairs.
    84 points
    Four Two One
    You have 4 cards from the same month and 1 pair.
    96 points
    Four Three
    4 cards from the same month and 3 cards from another month
    240 points

The 35 Combinations

Red Three
    'Three' and 'Red'
    60 points
    One Slip Three
    'One Slip' and 'Three'
    60 points
    One Ten Three
    'One Ten' and 'Three'
    60 points
    One Light Three
    'One Light' and 'Three'
    72 points
    Wither Three
    'Wither' and 'Three'
    72 points
    Two Three
    Two 'Three' hands
    72 points
    Red Standing Three
    'Red' and 'Standing Three'
    72 points
    One Slip Standing Three
    'One Slip' and 'Standing Three'
    72 points
    One Ten Standing Three
    'One Ten' and 'Standing Three'
    72 points
    Wither Standing Three
    'Wither' and 'Standing Three'
    84 points
    Two Standing Threes
    Two 'Standing Three' hands
    96 points
    Red Lead
    'Red' and 'Lead'
    84 points
    One Slip Lead
    'One Slip' and 'Lead'
    84 points
    One Ten Lead
    'One Ten' and 'Lead'
    84 points
    Wither Lead
    'Wither' and 'Lead'
    96 points
    One Light Lead
    'One Light' and 'Lead'
    96 points
    Red Four
    'Red' and 'Four'
    108 points
    One Slip Four
    'One Slip' and 'Four'
    108 points
    One Ten Four
    'One Ten' and 'Four'
    108 points
    Wither Four
    'Wither' and 'Four'
    120 points
    One Light Four
    'One Light' and 'Four'
    120 points
    Red Haneken
    'Red' and 'Haneken'
    120 points
    One Slip Haneken
    'One Slip' and 'Haneken'
    120 points
    One Ten Haneken
    'One Ten' and 'Haneken'
    120 points
    Wither Haneken
    'Wither' and 'Haneken'
    132 points
    One Light Haneken
    'One Light' and 'Haneken'
    132 points
    Red Four Two One
    'Red' and 'Four Two One'
    132 points
    One Slip Four Two One
    'One Slip' and 'Four Two One'
    132 points
    One Ten Four Two One
    'One Ten' and 'Four Two One'
    132 points
    Wither Four Two One
    'Wither' and 'Four Two One'
    144 points
    One Light Four Two One
    'One Light' and 'Four Two One'
    144 points
    One Slip Four Three
    'One Slip' and 'Four Three'
    276 points
    One Ten Four Three
    'One Ten' and 'Four Three'
    276 points
    Wither Four Three
    'Wither' and 'Four Three'
    288 points
    One Light Four Three
    'One Light' and 'Four Three'
    288 points

Note: the Japanese use two counters for scoring Hachi-Hachi, one worth 12 points and the other 1. All of the above are multiples of 12. You might come across that scoring system if you use Japanese software.

If a player has a dealt hand, the points listed above are the amount they receive from each other player, so the points are effectively doubled. It is possible for all three players to have dealt hands, in which case scorekeeping can get a little complicated. In order to claim a dealt hand, a player must show the relevant cards to the other players.

Once dealt hands have been scored, play begins. Starting with the dealer and continuing in a counter-clockwise direction, each player captures cards (as described in the General Rules).

Once a player has formed a captured hand they have to decide whether or not to end the round. If they decide to end the round they receive the point value of their captured hands from the other players and become the dealer for the next round. If the player does not wish to end the round they announce 'Sage'. If a player chooses 'Sage', the game continues as before. 'Sage' is a way for a player to bet that he can form a new captured hand before his opponents can form a hand. If the player succesfully forms a new hand before his opponents do he does not gain any bonus points for doing so. If the round ends because all of the cards have been captured and the player has not been successful in his attempt he must pay half the value of his captured hand to each player. So, if he had an 84 point hand he would pay 42 points to each of the other players. If the player is not successful because another player successfully forms a hand, the player must pay all of the points for that new hand. The third player does not have to pay any points.

Once dealt hands have been scored, play begins. Starting with the dealer and continuing in a counter-clockwise direction, each player captures cards (as described in the General Rules). The round ends once all players have run out of cards or a player has formed a captured hand.

There is a special rule regarding forming a captured hand. If a player forms the 'Red Poems', 'Blue Poems', or 'Four Lights' hand, and they form the hand using a card played by another player into the field, and that player had more than 1 card in their hand at the time they played it, the player who played that card must pay the full cost of the captured hand.

Captured Hands

Five Lights
    五光

144 points
    Four Lights
    四光

120 points
    The above hands are mutually exclusive.
    Blue Poems
    青タン

84 points
    Red Poems
    赤タン

84 points
    Seven Poems
    七タン

120 point
    Any 7 poetry slips other than the November slip can be used.

If no players have formed any captured hands and none of the players have any cards remaining in their hands, the players add up the total value of the cards they have captured using the standard points. They then subtract 88 points from that total and multiply by the field multiplier. For example, if a player ends a round with 4 animals, 4 slips, 7 dregs, and the Curtain card in a Grand Field round, they would score 81 points (1x20, 4x10, 4x5, 7x1) minus 88 (for a subtotal of -7) multiplied by 4 for a total of -28 points. That is the player's score for the round.

There are five special captured hands that only come into play now, while adding up the value of the captured cards. If a player has one of these hands, they receive the points listed in the chart below from each of the other players. The other players do not receive any points for their captured cards. Also, if one of these hands have been formed, all points gained by any players from dealt hands must be returned. The special hands are:

Special Captured Hands

All 8's
    総八
    All 3 players capture 88 points of cards each.
    The dealer collects these points.
    120 points
    Double 8's
    二八
    The player's total after subtracting 88 points is 80 points or higher (before multiplying)
    120 points
    Simple 16
    素十六
    The player has captured 16 or more dregs cards
    144 points
    Note: each additional dregs card is worth 24 points.
    Diving
    飛び込み
    The player had the 'Three' or 'Standing Three' dealt hand and captures those three cards
    12 points
    Escape
    抜け役
    The player had the 'Red', 'One Slip', 'One Ten', or 'Wither' dealt hand and captured 89 points or more of cards
    12 points

Scoring Example

The following example shows all of the scoring that is involved in one round of Hachi-Hachi.

Field : Grand Field (x4)

Subscore A : Dealt Hands

Player A - 'Standing Three' (36)
    Player B - None
    Player C - 'Three' (24)

Player A receives 36x4 points from each player (x4 because of the grand field), and pays 24x4 to Player C
    Player B pays 36x4 points to Player A and 24x4 points to Player B
    Player C receives 24x4 points from each player and pays 36x4 points to Player A

A : 192
    B : -240
    C : 48

Subscore B : Captured Hands

Player A - 'Diving' (12)
    Player B - None
    Player C - None

Player A receives 12x4 points from each player
    Player B pays 12x4 points to Player A
    Player C pays 12x4 points to Player A

A : 96
    B : -48
    C : -48

Subscore C : Captured Cards:

Player A - 68 points
    Player B - 125 points
    Player C - 71 points

A : -80 (68 - 88) x 4
    B : 148 (125 - 88) x 4
    C : -68 (71 - 88) x 4

Total:

Player A : 208 (192 + 96 - 80)
    Player B : -140 (-240 - 48 + 148)
    Player C : -68 (48 - 48 - 68)

2-Player Hachi-Hachi

Hachi-Hachi for 2 players is essentially the same as above. The only differences are that the special captured hands are not used, and when calculating a player's score for a round in which no captured hands have been formed, the players add the total value of their cards and compare them. The player with the lower value cards pays the winner the difference. So, if one player's cards are worth 53 points and the other player's cards are worth 60 points in a large field round, the first player scores 13 points for the round.

I've never been able to convince people to learn and play hachi-hachi with me, but I've played a few games of koi-koi and it's a neat and deeper game than it first appears.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Present awesome stuffs:
    avhnlfb2ptxm.jpg
    ke28dg57uzi7.jpg

@TimFiji

Found out the site that had the rules for hachi-hachi went down, but fortunately the internet archive had it saved!

Koi Koi scoring is nicely laid out here: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/hanafuda/rule_e.html
    Rules are fairly simple and on the Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi-Koi

Hachi Hachi (88) is a three player game and apparently was the method most often used for gambling. It's a bit harder to find the rules for it, and I was never able to get someone to translate the Japanese rules included in my Nintendo set. It's a bit ugly, but here's a copy-paste from the archived site: (https://web.archive.org/web/20080930214656/http://hanafubuki.org/hachihachi.html)

The dealer deals 7 cards to each player and 6 cards to the field. The deck is placed in the middle of the field.

Here's an example of a Hachi-Hachi starting position with the 3 players' hands, the field and the deck:

Each round's scoring is affected by the initial cards in the field. This change in scoring affects all point values (including the cost of folding). There are 3 kinds of fields. The kinds of fields, their conditions, and their affects on scoring is as follows:

Small Field
    小場
    Points are as normal
    Large Field
    大場
    Points are doubled
    Grand Field
    絶場
    Points are quadrupled

If there are 2 lights in the field, the higher field is put into affect. If there are 2 lights of the same field value (such as Rain and Phoenix), the next round's field is the same kind as that of the current round.

Once the players have their hands they need to check them for any dealt hands they may have received. There are 47 dealt hands in Hachi-Hachi which can be a little intimidating. In fact, there are only 12 basic hands; the rest of the hands are combinations of those 12. You can only have one dealt hand from the list; they don't stack. Here is a list of each hand's name, contents, and point value:

The Basic 12

Three (三本)
    24 points
    Standing Three (立三本)
    36 points
    Red (赤)
    36 points
    One Slip (短一)
    36 points
    One Ten (十一)
    36 points
    Wither (からす)
    You have 7 dregs.
    48 points
    One Light (光一)
    48 points
    Lead (喰付)
    48 points
    Four (手四)
    72 points
    Haneken
    84 points
    Four Two One
    96 points
    Four Three
    240 points

The 35 Combinations

Red Three
    'Three' and 'Red'
    60 points
    One Slip Three
    'One Slip' and 'Three'
    60 points
    One Ten Three
    'One Ten' and 'Three'
    60 points
    One Light Three
    'One Light' and 'Three'
    72 points
    Wither Three
    'Wither' and 'Three'
    72 points
    Two Three
    Two 'Three' hands
    72 points
    Red Standing Three
    72 points
    One Slip Standing Three
    72 points
    One Ten Standing Three
    72 points
    Wither Standing Three
    84 points
    Two Standing Threes
    96 points
    Red Lead
    'Red' and 'Lead'
    84 points
    One Slip Lead
    'One Slip' and 'Lead'
    84 points
    One Ten Lead
    'One Ten' and 'Lead'
    84 points
    Wither Lead
    'Wither' and 'Lead'
    96 points
    One Light Lead
    'One Light' and 'Lead'
    96 points
    Red Four
    'Red' and 'Four'
    108 points
    One Slip Four
    'One Slip' and 'Four'
    108 points
    One Ten Four
    'One Ten' and 'Four'
    108 points
    Wither Four
    'Wither' and 'Four'
    120 points
    One Light Four
    'One Light' and 'Four'
    120 points
    Red Haneken
    'Red' and 'Haneken'
    120 points
    One Slip Haneken
    'One Slip' and 'Haneken'
    120 points
    One Ten Haneken
    'One Ten' and 'Haneken'
    120 points
    Wither Haneken
    'Wither' and 'Haneken'
    132 points
    One Light Haneken
    132 points
    Red Four Two One
    'Red' and 'Four Two One'
    132 points
    One Slip Four Two One
    132 points
    One Ten Four Two One
    132 points
    Wither Four Two One
    144 points
    One Light Four Two One
    144 points
    One Slip Four Three
    276 points
    One Ten Four Three
    276 points
    Wither Four Three
    288 points
    One Light Four Three
    288 points

Note: the Japanese use two counters for scoring Hachi-Hachi, one worth 12 points and the other 1. All of the above are multiples of 12. You might come across that scoring system if you use Japanese software.

If a player has a dealt hand, the points listed above are the amount they receive from each other player, so the points are effectively doubled. It is possible for all three players to have dealt hands, in which case scorekeeping can get a little complicated. In order to claim a dealt hand, a player must show the relevant cards to the other players.

Once dealt hands have been scored, play begins. Starting with the dealer and continuing in a counter-clockwise direction, each player captures cards (as described in the General Rules).

Once a player has formed a captured hand they have to decide whether or not to end the round. If they decide to end the round they receive the point value of their captured hands from the other players and become the dealer for the next round. If the player does not wish to end the round they announce 'Sage'. If a player chooses 'Sage', the game continues as before. 'Sage' is a way for a player to bet that he can form a new captured hand before his opponents can form a hand. If the player succesfully forms a new hand before his opponents do he does not gain any bonus points for doing so. If the round ends because all of the cards have been captured and the player has not been successful in his attempt he must pay half the value of his captured hand to each player. So, if he had an 84 point hand he would pay 42 points to each of the other players. If the player is not successful because another player successfully forms a hand, the player must pay all of the points for that new hand. The third player does not have to pay any points.

Once dealt hands have been scored, play begins. Starting with the dealer and continuing in a counter-clockwise direction, each player captures cards (as described in the General Rules). The round ends once all players have run out of cards or a player has formed a captured hand.

There is a special rule regarding forming a captured hand. If a player forms the 'Red Poems', 'Blue Poems', or 'Four Lights' hand, and they form the hand using a card played by another player into the field, and that player had more than 1 card in their hand at the time they played it, the player who played that card must pay the full cost of the captured hand.

Captured Hands

Five Lights
    五光

144 points
    Four Lights
    四光

120 points
    Blue Poems
    青タン

84 points
    Red Poems
    赤タン

84 points
    Seven Poems
    七タン

120 point

If no players have formed any captured hands and none of the players have any cards remaining in their hands, the players add up the total value of the cards they have captured using the standard points. They then subtract 88 points from that total and multiply by the field multiplier. For example, if a player ends a round with 4 animals, 4 slips, 7 dregs, and the Curtain card in a Grand Field round, they would score 81 points (1x20, 4x10, 4x5, 7x1) minus 88 (for a subtotal of -7) multiplied by 4 for a total of -28 points. That is the player's score for the round.

There are five special captured hands that only come into play now, while adding up the value of the captured cards. If a player has one of these hands, they receive the points listed in the chart below from each of the other players. The other players do not receive any points for their captured cards. Also, if one of these hands have been formed, all points gained by any players from dealt hands must be returned. The special hands are:

Special Captured Hands

All 8's
    総八
    120 points
    Double 8's
    二八
    The player's total after subtracting 88 points is 80 points or higher (before multiplying)
    120 points
    Simple 16
    素十六
    144 points
    Diving
    飛び込み
    The player had the 'Three' or 'Standing Three' dealt hand and captures those three cards
    12 points
    Escape
    抜け役
    The player had the 'Red', 'One Slip', 'One Ten', or 'Wither' dealt hand and captured 89 points or more of cards
    12 points

Scoring Example

The following example shows all of the scoring that is involved in one round of Hachi-Hachi.

Player B - None
    Player C - 'Three' (24)

Player A receives 36x4 points from each player (x4 because of the grand field), and pays 24x4 to Player C

Player A - 'Diving' (12)
    Player B - None
    Player C - None

Player A - 68 points
    Player B - 125 points
    Player C - 71 points

Total:

2-Player Hachi-Hachi

Hachi-Hachi for 2 players is essentially the same as above. The only differences are that the special captured hands are not used, and when calculating a player's score for a round in which no captured hands have been formed, the players add the total value of their cards and compare them. The player with the lower value cards pays the winner the difference. So, if one player's cards are worth 53 points and the other player's cards are worth 60 points in a large field round, the first player scores 13 points for the round.

I've never been able to convince people to learn and play hachi-hachi with me, but I've played a few games of koi-koi and it's a neat and deeper game than it first appears.

I was secretly hoping you did not forget! Thanks! :biggrin:

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ElinElin Registered User regular
      Dear Santa,

I know that I put this in my note to you BUT I live in an apartment complex and neither my husband nor I are home during the day. If you are shipping to me please include a tracking number to me via our Elf Friend Proxy so we can know when things are getting to us. Otherwise someone else may get the Christmas Cheer you are sending.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
      PSN Hypacia
      Xbox HypaciaMinnow
      Discord Hypacia#0391
      Present awesome stuffs:
      avhnlfb2ptxm.jpg
      ke28dg57uzi7.jpg

@TimFiji

Small Field
      小場
      Points are as normal
      Large Field
      大場
      Points are doubled
      Grand Field
      絶場
      Points are quadrupled

The Basic 12

Three (三本)
      24 points
      Standing Three (立三本)
      36 points
      Red (赤)
      36 points
      One Slip (短一)
      36 points
      One Ten (十一)
      36 points
      Wither (からす)
      You have 7 dregs.
      48 points
      One Light (光一)
      48 points
      Lead (喰付)
      48 points
      Four (手四)
      72 points
      Haneken
      84 points
      Four Two One
      96 points
      Four Three
      240 points

The 35 Combinations

Red Three
      'Three' and 'Red'
      60 points
      One Slip Three
      'One Slip' and 'Three'
      60 points
      One Ten Three
      'One Ten' and 'Three'
      60 points
      One Light Three
      'One Light' and 'Three'
      72 points
      Wither Three
      'Wither' and 'Three'
      72 points
      Two Three
      Two 'Three' hands
      72 points
      Red Standing Three
      72 points
      One Slip Standing Three
      72 points
      One Ten Standing Three
      72 points
      Wither Standing Three
      84 points
      Two Standing Threes
      96 points
      Red Lead
      'Red' and 'Lead'
      84 points
      One Slip Lead
      'One Slip' and 'Lead'
      84 points
      One Ten Lead
      'One Ten' and 'Lead'
      84 points
      Wither Lead
      'Wither' and 'Lead'
      96 points
      One Light Lead
      'One Light' and 'Lead'
      96 points
      Red Four
      'Red' and 'Four'
      108 points
      One Slip Four
      'One Slip' and 'Four'
      108 points
      One Ten Four
      'One Ten' and 'Four'
      108 points
      Wither Four
      'Wither' and 'Four'
      120 points
      One Light Four
      'One Light' and 'Four'
      120 points
      Red Haneken
      'Red' and 'Haneken'
      120 points
      One Slip Haneken
      'One Slip' and 'Haneken'
      120 points
      One Ten Haneken
      'One Ten' and 'Haneken'
      120 points
      Wither Haneken
      'Wither' and 'Haneken'
      132 points
      One Light Haneken
      132 points
      Red Four Two One
      'Red' and 'Four Two One'
      132 points
      One Slip Four Two One
      132 points
      One Ten Four Two One
      132 points
      Wither Four Two One
      144 points
      One Light Four Two One
      144 points
      One Slip Four Three
      276 points
      One Ten Four Three
      276 points
      Wither Four Three
      288 points
      One Light Four Three
      288 points

Captured Hands

Five Lights
      五光

144 points
      Four Lights
      四光

120 points
      Blue Poems
      青タン

84 points
      Red Poems
      赤タン

84 points
      Seven Poems
      七タン

120 point

Special Captured Hands

All 8's
      総八
      120 points
      Double 8's
      二八
      120 points
      Simple 16
      素十六
      144 points
      Diving
      飛び込み
      12 points
      Escape
      抜け役
      12 points

Scoring Example

Player B - None
      Player C - 'Three' (24)

Player A - 'Diving' (12)
      Player B - None
      Player C - None

Player A - 68 points
      Player B - 125 points
      Player C - 71 points

Total:

2-Player Hachi-Hachi

I was secretly hoping you did not forget! Thanks! :biggrin:

I don't know if anyone knows Japanese or knows someone who knows Japanese, but here's scans of the instructions from my set.
      GTu6FMG.jpg
      4qlwZzD.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
      After some research, I'm way too lazy for a salt block, but they sound very neat and sounds like they taste delicious. I never would have thought you could heat salt to such high temperatures and cook on it.

My Santa REALLY needs to step forward after creating such a fuss with his gift! For those asking about Veggies, according to the cookbook, you can use 2 of these to make speed pickles of various types and use it for a serving plate that adds flavor. Apparently, they also make salt bowls and even salt cups(!) which they suggest you use for mixed drinks to make people drink it faster before it gets too salty! Seriously, I had no idea that a giant block of salt could do all this.

steam_sig.png
      For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
      Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
      s8jdcwlr24bv.gif
      Sadly, no picture of the box. I opened it assuming it was something I had ordered from Amazon. and opened it before I took a picture of it's boxy amazon-ess.

Fortunately, the contents of the box were wrapped, so it's time to put the Christmas tribble to work.
      092w8gcu36ca.jpg

naloo3zsl6xp.jpg
      Gift 3 of 5:
      Thing better
      And a conundrum.

Yesterday, another box arrived from Amazon, this time I correctly deduced that it was a gift (the label saying "Gift Inside" was a great tipoff). I took pictures yesterday, but misplaced the USB cord for my phone. A quick trip to WalMart to buy a new one means I can put the pictures up now (and that I'll be finding my old cable sometime in the next 25 minutes).

s6b688gwxwcy.jpg
      It's understandably frustrated by my failure to open the previous package so far, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one Santa, and the tribble is sticking to the knife. Don't anger the tribble.

zsn7ml32in28.jpg
      In case my potato phone camera or the rush Paint job to reduce the size has rendered them unreadable, the labels present a full question:
      What is
      The only
      Thing better
      Than spaceships?
      s8jdcwlr24bv.gif
      And opened this time!

Getting home from work, I'm confronted by yet another box from the Amazon.
      l879lhzm9ncg.jpg
      Shown here with my collection of Amazon boxes. This is what the remains of my Christmas shopping look like, because, seriously, fuck going to the stores if I can avoid it this time of year.

But, no time to open it at the time, needed to get to the gym and they've got the road I take closed down to one lane. So, I'll leave the box in the care of the Christmas tribble. Surely, it will protect the package until I return, keeping it safe from prying eyes.

Or not.
      ccy6d57fv3h6.jpg
      Why didn't I hide my kitchen knives? What's wrong with my brain???

hlxo4lby418n.jpg
      Happily, the package within the box survived unscathed, for the moment.

The note:
      Gift 5 of 5:
      More Spaceships!
      Hopefully these will aide in your quest for Intergalactic Domination.
      I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!
      -Lost

And a group shot, 5 Amazon wrapped presents, the Christmas Tribble, and, as a special guest star, the bloody USB cord for my phone that turned up just in time for me to have already purchased and used a new one. And a Cthulhu, because it's never too early to consider who will be eaten first when the stars are right.
      kevwi0l902r8.jpg

And that being done, it's time to unwrap. The tribble took over, and in my desperation to protect the packages from that knife wielding maniac I failed to get any pictures.

But, I did get a picture of the entire haul, along with a tribble ready to return to the fireplace mantel to guard.
      skr7r9kwe0xx.jpg

Again, I apologize for my potato phone, my rush job shrinking the pictures and the terrible lighting in my Apartment. If you can't make it out, that's a stack and a half of FFG Star Wars: Armada expansions.
      Imperial Star Destroyer
      Home One (that's Ackbar's flagship from RotJ for those who aren't entrenched in Star Wars lore_
      MC30c Frigate (not actually in the movies, but based off concept art for the Mon Calamari cruisers in RotJ)
      Imperial Raider (a huge ship created for FFGs X-wing game, it's essentially a baby star destroyer the size of a Rebel corvette)
      Rogues and Villains pack (a collection of smaller ships from assorted EU sources. Includes the Millenium Falcon, Slave 1, Moldy Crow, IG-2000 and 4 others)

Step forward @lost, you killed it.
      Now, I'm getting a shower, cause I haven't done that yet and I smell like I just got back from the gym.
      And spaceships, I also smell like spaceships.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      I always wonder what the difference is between x-wing and armada when I see them at game shops. I assume it's primarily a matter of scale?

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
      Santee, I shipped you a box yesterday. If USPS is to be believed you will have cheer on your doorstep next week. :)

camo_sig2.png
      I always wonder what the difference is between x-wing and armada when I see them at game shops. I assume it's primarily a matter of scale?

Primarily yes, it's a difference of scale, though the game play is different to reflect the differences in scale.
      X-wing you fly small squads generally between 2 and 4 fighters or larger ships like the Falcon and you can kit each one out with different pilots and equipment.
      In Armada you fly big ships, and a squad of fighters is a single unit with limited options for variety. Instead of focusing on small ships, you customize the big ships with assorted upgrades and specialist crew.

Here's some youtubery giving a brief overview of the two games that explains the games much better that I'm doing. There are, of course, more in depth videos and battle reports that give more details, but those two are pretty good at laying out the basics.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      edited December 2015
      Y2JSF.gif

What the heck, Twisp and Catsby have found another package?
      5RDscxL.jpg

There are goodies inside! A Mario card game!
      yINxqQh.jpg

Mario Maker ornaments! Who knew they made these, but they will be in my tree soon enough!
      ehul7kJ.jpg

Mario Tennis! Mario playing cards! So much Mario!
      9LMRv4c.jpg

And next we have...
      LLogDxz.jpg
      zqfps25.jpg

A card with taste!
      cglx6Zi.jpg

But who sent this?
      vuFNwfV.jpg

It's @MNC Dover and the Wii U Thread, who are NOT my Santas (that would the generous Forar and his fine gift of the Complete Calvin and Hobbes), so this is a complete surprise! Thank you so much, everybody! Merry Christmas!

Sterica on
      YL9WnCY.png
    • LostLost Registered User regular
      edited December 2015
      s8jdcwlr24bv.gif

092w8gcu36ca.jpg

naloo3zsl6xp.jpg
      Gift 3 of 5:
      Thing better
      And a conundrum.

s6b688gwxwcy.jpg

zsn7ml32in28.jpg
      What is
      The only
      Thing better
      Than spaceships?
      s8jdcwlr24bv.gif
      And opened this time!

Getting home from work, I'm confronted by yet another box from the Amazon.
      l879lhzm9ncg.jpg
      Shown here with my collection of Amazon boxes. This is what the remains of my Christmas shopping look like, because, seriously, fuck going to the stores if I can avoid it this time of year.

But, no time to open it at the time, needed to get to the gym and they've got the road I take closed down to one lane. So, I'll leave the box in the care of the Christmas tribble. Surely, it will protect the package until I return, keeping it safe from prying eyes.

Or not.
      ccy6d57fv3h6.jpg
      Why didn't I hide my kitchen knives? What's wrong with my brain???

hlxo4lby418n.jpg
      Happily, the package within the box survived unscathed, for the moment.

The note:
      Gift 5 of 5:
      More Spaceships!
      Hopefully these will aide in your quest for Intergalactic Domination.
      I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!
      -Lost

And a group shot, 5 Amazon wrapped presents, the Christmas Tribble, and, as a special guest star, the bloody USB cord for my phone that turned up just in time for me to have already purchased and used a new one. And a Cthulhu, because it's never too early to consider who will be eaten first when the stars are right.
      kevwi0l902r8.jpg

And that being done, it's time to unwrap. The tribble took over, and in my desperation to protect the packages from that knife wielding maniac I failed to get any pictures.

But, I did get a picture of the entire haul, along with a tribble ready to return to the fireplace mantel to guard.
      skr7r9kwe0xx.jpg

Again, I apologize for my potato phone, my rush job shrinking the pictures and the terrible lighting in my Apartment. If you can't make it out, that's a stack and a half of FFG Star Wars: Armada expansions.
      Imperial Star Destroyer
      Home One (that's Ackbar's flagship from RotJ for those who aren't entrenched in Star Wars lore_
      MC30c Frigate (not actually in the movies, but based off concept art for the Mon Calamari cruisers in RotJ)
      Imperial Raider (a huge ship created for FFGs X-wing game, it's essentially a baby star destroyer the size of a Rebel corvette)
      Rogues and Villains pack (a collection of smaller ships from assorted EU sources. Includes the Millenium Falcon, Slave 1, Moldy Crow, IG-2000 and 4 others)

Step forward @lost, you killed it.
      Now, I'm getting a shower, cause I haven't done that yet and I smell like I just got back from the gym.
      And spaceships, I also smell like spaceships.

I'm glad they all got there safe and sound!
      I hope you enjoy them!

Lost on
      @Antoshka found me out. May many letters be slain in name of the dragon.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
      The Mantiz wrote: »
      lwt1973 wrote: »
      lfg827uevysy.gif

0vxv4259xb40.gif

2h0cs8qkl2vw.gif

11kbaclq187c.gif

oui3lq58y8rq.gif

y6y4ltr88lhs.gif

iyswctkgw9b6.gif

It was I!
      4MonsieurLeClerk.jpg

I was starting to worry that I had entered the address wrong, since USPS was just sending the package back and forth between different cities. So I'm glad it arrived :biggrin:

I have no idea if any og the recipies in cookbook are any good. Actually I have no idea if they resemble Nordic breakfast at all. I just choose this pan because it had a recipie for Æbleskiver included, and that was the most important part. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experiences, but dont be discouraged if they get super ugly the først time. It takes a bit og practise to get them perfectly round.

My wife is a great cook so when she cooks them (I'm hearing rumblings about this weekend) I'll be sure to post lots of pictures. I'm also glad the package got here as our post office is quite...poor. We've had mail trucks skip our street, mail that arrives a week after being sent from a town that is 25 minutes away, and backlog mail that fills our box after not getting mail for a couple of days. I told my wife about the journey of the package and she wasn't surprised one bit.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Y2JSF.gif

What the heck, Twisp and Catsby have found another package?
      5RDscxL.jpg

There are goodies inside! A Mario card game!
      yINxqQh.jpg

Mario Maker ornaments! Who knew they made these, but they will be in my tree soon enough!
      ehul7kJ.jpg

Mario Tennis! Mario playing cards! So much Mario!
      9LMRv4c.jpg

And next we have...
      LLogDxz.jpg
      zqfps25.jpg

A card with taste!
      cglx6Zi.jpg

But who sent this?
      vuFNwfV.jpg

It's @MNC Dover and the Wii U Thread, who are NOT my Santas (that would the generous Forar and his fine gift of the Complete Calvin and Hobbes), so this is a complete surprise! Thank you so much, everybody! Merry Christmas!

I noticed you cut off the * comment at the bottom of the card. Trying to get me in trouble I see. ;)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
      s8jdcwlr24bv.gif

I'm posting from work so the post will be brief but I just saw in my e-mail a message from @ihaveachair! They gifted me "This War of Mine" on Steam! They also stated a package is on my way from USPS which I am very excited for.

Thank you again!

Sob24Nm.png
      Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
      I'm using the best GIFT GET graphic, even though it was just used. Don't like it? Waluigi appears nonetheless!

Y2JSF.gif

So I get home today after stopping by the post office, and I have a box I don't recall ordering. Buddy helps me inspect the box, wondering why it isn't his BarkBox.

iSGceakl.jpg

We open the box to find a smaller box inside. I never knew such witchcraft existed.

UyvDvUsl.jpg

After opening THAT box, I see a card with my tricky spaceguy internet name scrawled on it.

VOFt90Vl.jpg

Inside is a card. There is a large imprinted K on the top, and it's signed by none other than our own wacky Robert Khoo!

Tqj2z9Ol.jpg

It reads as follows:

To mister spookymuffin,

Word on the street is you'll be relocating to my neck of the woods, which means that yes, you MUST don the proper attire. Perhaps you're from an area where this is considered blasphemy - perhaps you don't give a shit about sportsball. WE DO NOT CARE. DO NOT LOOK GIFT BEANIES IN THE MOUTH. Happy holidays!

Love Always,
      Robert Khoo

Accompanied by this delightful note are a couple of headgear options from what the internet tells me are "sports" groups. I am moving to Seattle in a couple of months, and these will help me blend in with the locals until after they realize they've made a horrible mistake in accepting me.

N8UuVtIl.jpg

Picture of me, I'm not sure how to wear these. Is it a combo thing, do I "Sherlock" them and wear them back to back? I'll figure this out before I arrive.

gQHZp3Kl.jpg

I'm not a huge sports fan, but I am a fan of neat hats and cool people (the Sounders hat is actually quite comfortable so I'll probably wear it, and when people ask me if I'm from Seattle I can say no and explain who the hat came from, and then explain what Penny Arcade is, and get a confused "Ok..." in return). I'm also a fan of someone welcome a stranger into their city with such a warm gesture. Thanks, @Robert Khoo for being my first friend in my new home.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
      Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky