As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo onceRegistered User regular
edited September 2017 in Critical Failures
SWX36-layout.jpg

*Work in progress*

X-wing is a tense, fast-paced game of tactical skirmishes which plays in ~90 minutes.
With elements of squadron building, chance, & hidden information X-wing is easy to learn but difficult to master.
The Game:
In a nutshell, X-wing is played over a series of turns.
You will begin each turn by secretly assigning a maneuver to each of your ships.
Once all ships have been assigned a maneuver for the turn, those maneuvers are resolved one by one.
The order in which maneuvers are resolved is determined on a ship-by-ship basis, according to Pilot Skill.
Less-skilled pilots such as the humble Academy TIE Fighter pilot perform their maneuvers early in the turn.
Pilots of greater skill such as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, or Darth Vader perform their maneuvers later in the turn.

Immediately after a ship has maneuvered, it may perform an action. These actions take many forms, but generally provide some additional maneuvering capacity or some offensive/defensive benefits.

Once all ships have maneuvered and taken actions, the combat phase begins and ships exchange fire!
The order in which ships shoot is determined by Pilot Skill, with more skilled pilots shooting before less-skilled pilots.

For more information, I suggest watching one of the following:

Looks fun! How do I get started?
For starters you'll need an X-wing Miniatures Game Core Set, or an X-wing Miniatures Game: The Force Awakens Core Set.
These each contain one Rebel starfighter, two Imperial starfighters, some pilot & upgrade options for each of those starfighters, a set of maneuver templates, a damage deck, tokens, dice, and the various other things you'll need for your first game or two. While not strictly necessary for your first game, it is a good idea for each player to have their own Core.

Chances are excellent that you'll want to expand your fleet almost immediately.

00001066.png

While X-wing is highly adaptable to various squadron point limits, standard dogfights give you 100 squadron points to build with - and you'll have to purchase additional ships to reach this.
Popular bang-for-your-buck choices include the Rebel Aces expansion and the TIE Interceptor expansion - but you can pick up anything that looks cool.

Which brings us to...

The Factions:

The Rebel Alliance:

Kijej65eT.jpeg
latest?cb=20150426164748
latest?cb=20150426170942
latest?cb=20150426170528
latest?cb=20150426172641
latest?cb=20150426171451
latest?cb=20150426190059
latest?cb=20150426172351
latest?cb=20150426174140
latest?cb=20150426173139
latest?cb=20150426174719
latest?cb=20150731200405
latest?cb=20150421043950
latest?cb=20150426191333
latest?cb=20150426190415
latest?cb=20150911045504

The Galactic Empire:

eiMd55x9T.jpeg
latest?cb=20150426170353
latest?cb=20150426170713
latest?cb=20150426171604
latest?cb=20150426181845
latest?cb=20150426172739
latest?cb=20150426173733
latest?cb=20150426174448
latest?cb=20150421044053
latest?cb=20150911045841
latest?cb=20150731201556
latest?cb=20150426172523
latest?cb=20150426171225
latest?cb=20150426174944
latest?cb=20150426191735
latest?cb=20150731202049
latest?cb=20151215054403

Scum & Villainy:

aethll2zu2tl.png
latest?cb=20150426175658
latest?cb=20150421043813
latest?cb=20150426181235
latest?cb=20150426180156
latest?cb=20150426181635
latest?cb=20150616153958
latest?cb=20150731201854
latest?cb=20150731201305

Resources:

Play with us online!

The current module you'll need is:

Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-5.6.6.vmod

Sokpuppet on

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    StarWars: X-Wang
    Season 4: The Force Awangens

Season 1: Episode DIX
    Season 2: The Wang Strikes Back
    Last time on Season 3: Return of the Wang

What is this?
    This is an online X-Wing miniatures league for PA forum members. The goal is to have fun and play more games!

Rules
    1-50) Don't be a dick.
    51) Breaking rules 1-50 is a Bad Idea(tm)
    52) Any issues or rules disputes come through me. I'll do my best to investigate and work out the issue with involved players. (If I'm part of the dispute, someone else will have to do it)

Format
    • Games will be played in Vassal (if you can somehow play in meatspace, more power to you).
    • Games will be 100 points.
    • If you sign up you will be expected to play 1 game per week. Work with your opponent to figure out a time that you both can play. Exception: holiday weeks will be extended to 2-3 weeks
    • Please setup Vassal prior to your first game to get familiar with it (see Setup below).
      • Please setup your squad in Vassal prior to game start each week. This can be done by creating the squad, begin logging (File menu), select the whole squad and choosing "copy", then save the log.
      • When you are ready to bring your squad into the game, replay the log and it should pop right in
    • Since this is played online, it can take a little longer. Please try to allow at least 2 hours for your game each week (or play very aggressively ;-) )
    • At the end of the week, post the results to the thread so we can keep track of standings and the campaign at large. Try to @ me in the post so I can track it more easily
    • Feel free to post exciting moments/screenshots in the thread!

Games will be played using FFG's dogfight tournament rules (here) with the following exceptions:
    1. Games will not be timed (Exception: you and your opponent both agree on a timed game; if time expires, the winner is the player who has destroyed more points than his opponent then receives a Match win)
    2. Because games will not be timed, scoring will be as follows:
      • Match win: 3 points
      • Draw: 1 point
      • Match loss: 0 points
    3. You don't have to stick to the same squad/faction each week (or submit your squads to me; I will be playing as well)
      • You will have to tell your opponent your squad before you begin (before obstacles are placed)
    4. Ships and cards are not permitted until they are officially released (Wave 7 and FA Core are legal!)
    5. You must legitimately own physical versions of any ships or cards you use, as per Fantasy Flight's rules concerning the ongoing use of Vassal to play their games

!!!! IMPORTANT: READ THIS !!!!
    Major changes from last season (Game rules/FAQ)
    • Wave 7 and Force Awakens Core are legal!
    • Either damage deck may be used! Each player gets to choose when building their squad.
    • Tournament rules state that each player comes to the table with 3 unique obstacle tokens (Asteroids and/or Debris clouds; can use obstacles from FA Core)
      • Both sets of 3 are added to a "pool" and those are the 6 obstacles placed in the game
      • Range rules for obstacle placement remain the same
    • TIE Phantoms no longer decloak immediately before revealing their maneuver dial.
      • They decloak at the beginning of the Activation Phase (after all other "beginning of Activation Phase" abilities)
    • Free actions can be performed while on an obstacle.
    I highly encourage you to read the FAQ for other changes.

Setup
    Setting up Vassal and the module - Follow the steps here: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/
    Keep in mind that no cards have text, so you will need your own card text available to you (see 5 above).

Resources
    Commanders:
    Standings:
    Aurek -
    tmc91zqdje3m.png

Besh -
    fm6o7vmckk20.png

Schedule http://challonge.com/xwang_season4
    Aurek Flight Matchups:
    Previous Rounds
    Round 1: Feb 1 - Feb 7

Round 2: Feb 8 - Feb 21

Round 3: Feb 22 - Feb 28

Round 4: Feb 29 - Mar 6

Round 5: Mar 7 - Mar 13

Future Rounds:
    Round 6
    Round 7
    Round 8
    Round 9

Besh Flight Matchups:
    Previous Rounds
    Round 1: Feb 1 - Feb 7

Round 2: Feb 8 - Feb 21

Round 3: Feb 22 - Feb 28

Round 4: Feb 29 - Mar 6

Round 5: Mar 7 - Mar 13

Future Rounds:
    Round 6
    Round 7
    Round 8
    Round 9
    Any Questions? @ or PM me!
    *Rules/format/calendar subject to change

Summoning previous players:
    @Grunt's Ghosts @Stationary @TehSloth @Ingram @Sokpuppet @Elvenshae @webguy20 @Comradebot @[Expletive deleted] @D0rkAngl @Chrysis @DaMoonRulz

crimsoncoyote on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    To the new thread with you!
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    B wing bombers with extra munitions seems pretty fun.

You could fit three or so of them in a formation set up.

B-wings don't natively have bomb slots.
    Sabine grants one, but you can only have one Sabine. :-)

But yeah...
    Sabine's crew card is utterly astonishing for two points.
    It almost/sort've/not really turns a Seismic Charge into a Proton Bomb which always flips a direct hit.
    If you don't spend a lot of time flying with bombs, this may not sound like as big of a deal as it is. The tempo gain for bringing Sabine and landing one or two good Seismics is going to win most games handily.

Do B-Wings have access to Bomb Loadout, or is that Y-Wing only?

EDIT: Yeah, Y-Wing only.

Elvenshae on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    The point of Sabine is that it gives your ship a bomb loadout icon.

DarkPrimus on
    He's talking about the torpedo upgrade titled Bomb Loadout

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh, I get it now!

Words.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man Crimson I just realized we never got our final league match completed. DAmn!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Man Crimson I just realized we never got our final league match completed. DAmn!
    We can certainly still try to do it!

• MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Do or do not. There is no try.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

IF your free tomorrow night lets knock it out!

I think the only game I'm missing is against @D0rkAngl , and I think he was having new-job-eating-my-time issues.

IF your free tomorrow night lets knock it out!

I'll double check, but I think I'm good for it!

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Out of interest what does a good scum set up tend to look like and how expensive does it tend to be to branch into that faction?

Depending on your other rebel and imp ships, starting in S&V is pretty inexpensive, since Most Wanted will give you some solid options that repurpose existing ships as scum

I don't have HWK's, Slave 1 or Headhunters. So uh, probably expensive.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    You can get a ton of mileage out of the Most Wanted box, especially if you already have an HWK-290, a Rebel Y-wing, and/or Slave-1.

Above and beyond that, the StarViper is a popular choice as it comes with two copies of Autothrusters - which are really quite nice to have if you enjoy flying TIE Interceptors/A-wings.

If you want to buy in all the way, dual IG-88 Aggressors are a popular and successful Scum list.
    This can require a deep card pool and deeper pockets however. You can easily fly a solo Aggressor and pad the list out with other things.

The Hound's Tooth is a recent addition and an excellent ship. Hasn't won any major tournaments yet, but we're just rolling around into Store Championship season now and I expect it to do well.

The Kihraxz is an excellent jousting fighter but not much else to say about it. Comparable to the X-wing, but with a somewhat better dial and different upgrade options.

I don't have HWK's, Slave 1 or Headhunters. So uh, probably expensive.

The Most Wanted box comes with two Headhunters, a Y-wing, and an additional dial/chit/cards so that you can also retrofit a Rebel Y-wing.
    So right off the bat, you'd be able to fly two Y-wings and two Z-95's.
    There's a reasonable amount of variety available to those ships, but it might be more practical to flesh out the other factions more before taking the plunge into that particular wretched hive.

Sokpuppet on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2015
    Depends on your play style, there are 4 types: Swarm, Aces, Anchor ship, and brobots. It is SUPER easy to branch into if you play rebels, because you can still use your y-wings z95s and HWKs. and of course you still have all of your upgrades.

Easy Swarm [made from only Most wanted x 2]:
    Syndicate Thug [Autoblaster Turret, Unhinged Astromech, BTL-A4 Y-Wing] (21) x 2
    Black Sun Soldier [“Hot Shot” Blaster] (16) x 2
    Black Sun Soldier (13) x 2

Aces [Most wanted plus HWK-290 plus Kihraxz]:
    Kavil [Blaster Turret, R4 Agromech] (30)
    Dace Bonearm [Ion Cannon Turret] (28)
    Black Sun Ace [Lightning Reflexes, Glitterstim] (26)
    Black Sun Soldier [“Hot Shot” Blaster] (16)

Anchor ship [Houndstooth And 2 Kihraxzs]:
    Latts Razzi [Bossk, K4 Security Droid, Glitterstim] (40)
    Talonbane Cobra [Predator, Glitterstim] (33)
    Black Sun Ace [Lightning Reflexes, Glitterstim] (26)

OR

[Starviper, 3 Kihraxzs, and 2 upgrades from other sources]
    Cartel Marauder (20) x 3

Prince Xizor [Push the Limit, Virago, Autothrusters, Advanced Sensors] (40)

Brobots [2 IG-2000s plus lots of upgrades from other places]:
    Just take two IG-88s and upgrade the heck out of them.

So there are some really good ways to dip into Scum, and they have some really solid ships all their own too. I would pick what kind of list you want to play and plan your purchases accordingly.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I think the only game I'm missing is against @D0rkAngl , and I think he was having new-job-eating-my-time issues.

Yeah, I only got in one game before The End came. On the upside, the new job is awesome, on the downside, the new job is busy. Calming down though and settling into a routine.

I also had a ton of scheduling issues with pretty much everyone before I threw in the towel, west coast + job + kids = a little slice of time in the late evening to play, which tends to be night for everyone else.

Yeah, just my current set up feels pretty solid for both the factions. Planning to grab IMP aces and the lambda shuttle but then was pondering seeing if I could stretch Most Wanted with a HWK in.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Some guys on Vassal right now playing a game with Youngster and Wampa. Seems like a nice opportunity to watch how those guys work in a game.

• XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    That would've been really interesting to see. I wonder how well they performed?

YIVQ28P.png
    D0rkAngl wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I think the only game I'm missing is against D0rkAngl , and I think he was having new-job-eating-my-time issues.

Yeah, I only got in one game before The End came. On the upside, the new job is awesome, on the downside, the new job is busy. Calming down though and settling into a routine.

I also had a ton of scheduling issues with pretty much everyone before I threw in the towel, west coast + job + kids = a little slice of time in the late evening to play, which tends to be night for everyone else.

No problem, mate - but, weirdly enough, my schedule over the past couple months would probably have been the most conducive to getting a game setup! :D

• D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    I also have no idea how anyone plays on Vassal without at least two monitors.

4k resolution!

But that's like having 4 monitors I guess

I know there are a couple folks who play on laptops and bless you, you're doing God's work there.

But, like... lapTOPS. Meaning multiple laptops at the same time, right?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ya'll are a bunch of spoiled little kids. I've been using VASSAL to play games way more complex than X-Wing for at least a decade. I used to run that shit at 1024x768 on a single 17".

I was raised by wolves in the Siberian arctic, where I learned to transmit data one pixel at a time via a system of synchronized howling.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    D0rkAngl wrote: »
    I also have no idea how anyone plays on Vassal without at least two monitors.

I do quite well with one screen.
    g05vm94346al.png

Rewatching all the films before Ep. 7 releases.

While I get why people don't like the prequels I'd kinda dig if some of the neater ship designs from it made their way into the game as either scum ships or rebel retro fits.

They've said they weren't going to pull from the prequels. Though the only real time you see the Hounds Tooth/YV-666 is in the Clone Wars show (but Bossk is in Empire so that kind of doesn't count?)

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Rewatching all the films before Ep. 7 releases.

While I get why people don't like the prequels I'd kinda dig if some of the neater ship designs from it made their way into the game as either scum ships or rebel retro fits.

The wife and I are rewatching all the films as well. Just finished Empire yesterday with only Jedi to go. This will be her 2nd time through watching the trilogies. She actually likes the prequel stuff more in a lot of ways. Better costumes, grander story, more female characters. I try not to take sides, although A New Hope will always be my favorite.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Also have they said anything about the Scurrg H6?

Because that thing looks great and I've fond memories of it from Starfighter back when I was young.

Not for x-wing, but it did show up in Wave 2 for Armada. So it could happen!

Crimson and I are playing if anyone wants to watch

edited December 2015
    and @crimsoncoyote takes me down. Y-wings with 2 attacks per round are brutal against a 2 large ship build. Just laying out the red dice. Dash dodged, but it wasn't good enough.

The screen shot was the final shot against dash.

yh3kfurezgrp.jpg

webguy20 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    My condolences.

Today I tried a Palpmobile list but my wife was not familar enough with X-Wing to make good use of it. So it was kind of monstrous once I annihilated Vader on one volley from Corran Horn (this E-Wing is ridiculous).

I have realized it should be possible to make a list with every main character and side character from the original movies in it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    and @crimsoncoyote takes me down. Y-wings with 2 attacks per round are brutal against a 2 large ship build. Just laying out the red dice. Dash dodged, but it wasn't good enough.

The screen shot was the final shot against dash.

<snip>

Well played @webguy20! I had a good time, and you even had me against the ropes a couple times.
    I may have been throwing a bunch of red dice at you, but it was a slugfest in both directions.
    Hell, you took out my B-Wing before it ever got a shot off!

Here's what I ran:
    Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
    Accuracy Corrector (3)
    Autoblaster (5)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Total: 99

edited December 2015
    Ok! I am going to call an Official end to STARWARS X-WANG SEASON 3 on this Friday, December 18!

If you have an unplayed match, feel free to try to get it in if you have time. If not, we'll see you next season :)
    (I don't expect any/all the games to be played, so that's OK... srsly, you guys have a VERY important movie to see... you know which one...)
    437-film-page-large.jpg

Here are the unrecorded matches listed for completeness:
    Round 1
    @crimsoncoyote vs @DaMoonRulz

Round 2
    @Chrysis vs @Grunt's Ghosts

Round 5
    @Elvenshae vs @Grunt's Ghosts

Round 6
    @webguy20 vs @Chrysis
    @DaMoonRulz - L vs @Elvenshae - W

Round 7
    @Grunt's Ghosts vs @DaMoonRulz
    @Chrysis - W vs @Sokpuppet - L

(Let me know if I missed something and I'll update it!)

Thank you ALL for participating!
    Next season will begin in the new year!

crimsoncoyote on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae beat me handily in our match. @Grunt's Ghosts you have time to play this week? I have Wed/Thur off and otherwise work in the morning until 130pm eastern.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Same goes for you, @crimsoncoyote

3basnids3lf9.jpg