As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why do my feet hurt so much? How might I minimize the pain?

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm now working a retail job. At the end of each shift my feet kill me. This is obviously worse on longer shifts, but even 5-6 hour shifts have me hobbling home in pain to put my legs up all night. Can anyone explain some possible explanations and solutions considering that I am:

-young (20)
-not overweight (183 lbs at 6'1")
-a runner (25+ miles/wk)
-a weightlifter (I deadlift 10x the heaviest boxes that I ever need to lift at work)

What's the deal? This sucks. Can I solve this? I feel as though I'm too young and athletic to feel decrepit and beat down after a generic retail shift.

Organichu on

• Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    first retail job? yeah.

you'll get used to it eventually but in the mean time it's a good idea to make sure you wear comfortable shoes. Take breaks too, there's no reason you should have to stand up for 6 hours straight.

Chief1138 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like the above poster said, you get used to it. If it's warehouse retail, then there's your answer. You're walking a few miles per shift on solid concrete with dress shoes or boots, as opposed to running shoes. My feet used to hurt like a son of a bitch, but it was great exercise.

Try some of those pads that go into the shoes to make your feet more comfortable, and take advantage of your lunch and fifteen minute breaks.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Start a proper stretching routine, too. You'll find that it will improve your posture and maybe take the stress of your feet as a result.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Make sure you have new shoes you're working in, bad shoes will demolish your feet, knees, and back

Also it could be the running, do you have good fairly new running shoes? Lots of times people are like "man what kinda sheep spend 50+ dollars on shoes?"

Well, people who run >_> If you're running in just some old tennis shoes, you're messing yourself up and paying for it the next day at work

BlochWave on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Thanks all.

I do have real running shoes that were purchased with corrective pronation in mind.

I do need to look into some good 'walking'/'standing' shoes. Hiking boots sound good. Any other suggestions/brands, specifically, that are comfy?

Organichu on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are you gellin?

Sorry.

But yeah, Dr. Scholl's helps...

You'll get used to it in about a month of 8 hour shifts though...

variant on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Obvious question, but do you know if you are flatfooted or not?

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Your post sounds like you're American, so I can't tell you which shops have comfortable shoes. In the UK there is Clarks - immensely uncool, but very good for your feet.

My sister is a nurse and recommended lots of good shoes for me - if you know any nurses ask them - they are on their feet all the time and have the know-how to make good choices.

The lifting heavy weights and running might be contributing. At work, don't lift more than other people do, even if you're easily able to. Try to walk around rather than stand. Take any opportunity to get off your feet.

You will get better, but being on your feet all day is hard. Don't feel you're puny.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • NimaNima Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If your running shoes correct for pronation, you have to buy shoes that do the same thing for everyday wear too.
    If work complains about you wearing non-reg shoes, tell them you have a foot condition and have to wear them (technically true). As your feet continuing to be healthy is very important for your lifestyle, I wouldn't let work dictate to you in this regard.

Nima on
  • SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have plantar fascitis and flat feet, and have found that Merrell running shoes or multi-activity shoes are awesome. That said, I also wear orthotics, so part of the appeal is the inserts fit properly in the shoe - but the structure of the sole and the upper works out really well. None of them are "pretty" but some of them are uniformly dark and reasonably professional looking.

Another thing to keep in mind; shoes that you wear a lot or do a lot of heavy activity in should be replaced every 3 months or so, because they break down over time.

Soak your feet in hot water and epsom salts when it gets really bad, and stretching your feet and calves before you get out of bed in the morning is a good idea as well. Ibuprofen (and other pain meds) is your friend, but if you have to take it round the clock to function, you might schedule an appointment to see a podiatrist or your family doctor - there comes a point when the pain medication becomes a part of the pain cycle, and that's just not a happy place to be.

Solandra on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    Obvious question, but do you know if you are flatfooted or not?

Seriously. I'm flat footed and without any insoles my feet will kill after a few hours. Fitness/health has nothing to do with it. You've probably been okay running because most running shoes have decent arch support (I know mine do) but your problem definitely sounds like you're flat footed to me.

Janson on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If your work will allow it, invest in some clogs. They are like. slip on type shoes that cooks wear.

They are incredible. Just make sure you don't get a pair with too high of a sole, because I have seen people twist ankles.

I am trying to think of stores that sell them, but none are coming to mind. Any work shoe type place will have them. If you work for a larger company, they usually have someone come by once a month to sell them at a discount.

The downside is that a good pair is going to be a bit expensive. Expect to pay 70+ for a pair that will last.

EDIT----
    Personally, I think preventing this problem through nice shoes is the only way to solve this.

If you go with the route of treating it after it happens, you will get to the point where your life is being hindered by having to take care of your feet.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No, if he does have flat feet the only way to 'solve' it is to see an actual chiropodist/podiatrist and get proper insoles fitted to his feet. Yes, it's troublesome and expensive but off-the-shelf shoes aren't going to help no matter how expensive they are. Flat feet isn't something that happens, flat feet is a condition you are born with.

Janson on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Ok, going down the line.

I'm not flat footed (at least, I don't think). I can say that in running a couple of marathons, cross country in HS, and probably having clocked around 3,000+ miles in the past few years, I'd be aware if I had any serious foot problems. I actually have remarkably 'okay' feet, I think, because even when my chest and legs would chafe while running my feet were always and have always been fine. Also, I didn't even invest in really good running shoes until after I'd been running for a few years.

I don't really do more lifting (invidivual items) than anyone else, but I'd certainly say that I more than most get called when a customer needs something heavy.

I had no idea that there are everyday shoes that consider pronation. I will definitely need to look into this.

Thankfully my employer doesn't care what kind of shoes I wear.

What are clogs? A type of shoe or a brand?

Also, if it matters I used to work a lot on my feet- like, 95 hour weeks for an entire summer- and they never bothered me. Granted, I got to sit occasionally, but I was probably on my feet 10-12 hrs/day. I don't know why they didn't hurt much back then.

Organichu on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i would throw in that a checkup at the doctor with some questions about your feets probably wouldn't hurt.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • buzzard0627buzzard0627 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This may sound a little odd, but have you tried a wider shoe? It took me years to discover how much more comfortable my shoes were once I started buying them a bit wider than standard. The right shoe will make ALL the difference. Personally speaking, I am a fan of New Balance.

buzzard0627 on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can wholeheartedly reccomend Nike Shox. The majority of our anesthesiology, OR, and nursing staff all wears them.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.