As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] New Event, New Thread. Get a Move On!

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    the only character I have left at their cap is Garnet.

when's the next IX event?

Not too long actually. Beatrix joins the crew and Steiner gets MC2 which... meh. But it's 3 events away (FFXIII for Lightning, another FFVII for RedXIII, then FFIX).

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Which FFIV character is gonna get their MC2 from this event? Is it Kain?

To the great disappointment of everyone, D.Cecil will be getting his MCII this time.

I hear his RM 3 is good. +20% damage with swords. I don't understand if that's better or worse than +20% attack with dragoon's determination, but I guess its not sap at least.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Uggggh. D. Cecil? Really. He's the worst ever. I mean, his attack stat is fine, but he has so very few skill options. He's just not versatile at all.

And yet somehow, he ranks higher than Kimahri (though probably not by much).

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    MC2?

FFRK Acronyms 101
    MC - Memory Crystal [Item to break a characters level 50 limit. MC2 is used to break their level 65 limit.]
    RM - Record Materia [New equipment type once MC is used. RM slot unlocked by breaking characters levels. RMs are acquired from level broken characters in a variety of ways]
    SB - Soul Break [Think Limit Break from FF7, new ones can be learned by character specific 5* relics]
    SG/SSII - Sentinel Grimoire/Stone Skin 2 [Also refereed to as Walls, either is a massive defensive SB]
    SSB - Super Soul Break [Like an SB except they will also bestow a permanent stat up to the specific character when learned]
    BSSB -Burst Super Soul Break [Like an SB except it changes Attack and Defense commands to something else for a limited time]
    M_O/G_O - Major Orbs/Greater Orbs [the middle _ represents which type of orb between Fire, Ice, Lightning, Earth, Non-Elemental, Dark, Holy, White, Black, Power, Summon]
    _*++ - Blank is a number 1-5 which represents an items base rank (not combined). Every plus after the * represents how much its been combined. [A 3*++ will show up as a 5* in game but will be only about as powerful as a 4*. Rule of thumb is every item combination adds about half a rarity level of power.]
    RS - Realm Synergy [Character or Item matches dungeons realm ie Cloud in FF7 dungeon or Blitzballs in FFX dungeon. This adds about 10 levels of stats to a character or about a rarity level in power to an item]

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Chugging along through these Dungeon Updates. It's nice that Stamina refreshes let you do 2-3 dungeons right away now.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Which FFIV character is gonna get their MC2 from this event? Is it Kain?

To the great disappointment of everyone, D.Cecil will be getting his MCII this time.

I hear his RM 3 is good. +20% damage with swords. I don't understand if that's better or worse than +20% attack with dragoon's determination, but I guess its not sap at least.
    If ATK < 550, +20% ATK > +10% ATK = 1.2x dmg > 1.1x dmg
    If ATK > 590, 1.2x dmg > +20% ATK = 1.1x dmg > +10% ATK

Rius on
    FFX +++ battle was the easiest thing ever. Advantaliate + Boost + Carbuncle + Berserk, and Carbuncle's really only necessary if you want to lose zero medals for damage taken.

One more major power and major lightning and I can craft R1 Full Break =)

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Two more events, and we'll have Lifesiphon. One more Greater Ice Orb and I'll be able to make an R3 of it right away, and I can spam it with Bartz' Lupine Barrage. Not actually sure it'd be any benefit over spamming Pound, but I don't have a copy of Pound yet either so why not Lifesiphon?

If they give us a copy in the event, I'll need 13 GPO, 16 GIO and 11 GWO to make an R4.

I have the mats to make a really nice lifesiphon and zero physical SBs. 2 caster SBs and a SSB, but those are mostly useless :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Two more events, and we'll have Lifesiphon. One more Greater Ice Orb and I'll be able to make an R3 of it right away, and I can spam it with Bartz' Lupine Barrage. Not actually sure it'd be any benefit over spamming Pound, but I don't have a copy of Pound yet either so why not Lifesiphon?

If they give us a copy in the event, I'll need 13 GPO, 16 GIO and 11 GWO to make an R4.

I have the mats to make a really nice lifesiphon and zero physical SBs. 2 caster SBs and a SSB, but those are mostly useless :/

Unfortunatly, there are no mages that can use combat 4. I'm not aware of any coming out either so unless they buff Golbez it's going to be a melee focused thing. Other than Tyro the good support SBs people can't use it either.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Attack over 590?!? That's insane. I've never seen a value even near that. Or is that counting boost/advance/Morphing Time. In which case I go back to not being sure.

In other news trying to mage through Rubicante and Eblan Royalty with only 6 casts of wateraja and 6 casts of blizzaga is not a smart idea. Thank goodness I brought Rinoa, wishing star literally saved the day. Also consider leveling edge above 19.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Did my customary 5 mythril pull at the newest banner. Got Rydia's whip, the Dragon Whisker. Awesome get.

38thDoe wrote: »
    Attack over 590?!? That's insane. I've never seen a value even near that. Or is that counting boost/advance/Morphing Time. In which case I go back to not being sure.

In other news trying to mage through Rubicante and Eblan Royalty with only 6 casts of wateraja and 6 casts of blizzaga is not a smart idea. Thank goodness I brought Rinoa, wishing star literally saved the day. Also consider leveling edge above 19.

That's total ATK after buffs, so definitely counting things like Advance.

hmm. Advance is +150% so if I have 200 attack, advance gives me effectively 500? So the sword one is better around 250 attack? Or am I mathing wrong.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited January 2016
    That feeling when you look at your FFIV gear, realize you have no weapon synergy apart from a 3*++ Dagger, decide to throw 5 Mythril at the current banner, get shaky table with falling stars and it's a Black Belt Gi.

Rius on
    Knight_ wrote: »

Unfortunatly, there are no mages that can use combat 4. I'm not aware of any coming out either so unless they buff Golbez it's going to be a melee focused thing. Other than Tyro the good support SBs people can't use it either.

Oh I know, hence my lament that I'm totally unexcited for lifesiphon meta since I can't really make use of it :/

Even if there was a mage with combat 4 it'd be bad, since giving up the 9999s from spells wouldn't be worth it just to hit with a SB for 12000 or something. Even Rinoa's SSB has trouble getting to 15k if I don't have a lot of synergy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Hrm can Lightning use LifeSiphon? She's got a Blazefire Sabre for me and I'd imagine that would make her hit like a truck. I've got her, Gilgamesh, Sephiroth and Cyan's melee weapons(both of the katanas are their first ones, not their second ones). My mage weapons are the lacking ones.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What are the mats for R1 Lifesiphon?

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    realized i had crappy IV weapon synergy. did an 11 pul. got Edge's Katana, Rydia's whip, and Rosa's X-bow. Praise RNGesus

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    What the heck is lifesiphon, and why is the meta so reliant on it?

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was actually thinking about pulling the FFIV sword from the beginner's banner, but I do kinda want a gun.

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    KiTA wrote: »

4* combat ability that does 1.8x damage of attack and fills 3x as much of the SB bar. So it synergizes well with SSBs and bosses that you have to burst down at the end (which is a lot of the harder bosses coming up). I think the math says pound is more damage over time if you don't have good enough SBs though.

Edit: basically lifesiphon meta is the whale or lucky bastard meta

Savant on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Life siphon is a 4* combat ability that deals great phys damage and grants bonus SB meter. It opens up the option for you to take a physical character with a strong unique SB and use it really often.

Lifesiphon's amazing if you have a physical SSB on a character that can use 4* Combat. Basically Squall, or similar situations. It's also amazing if you have an SB that provides a useful party-wide buff in addition to doing damage.

Lifesiphon sucks if you have neither of these things. It's totally dependent on your relic draws.

Man. I am just so bad at decision making in this game. I didn't take Squall's MC2 during the Vale. Now y'all are telling me he's gonna be amazing with Lifesiphon + Relic.

Of course I also don't have a Squall relic so it really doesn't matter. But maybe with Fang's event coming up very shortly I can put a few mithril into pulling a good weapon for Lightning.

Is Lightning's SSB currently available? I don't think it is, is it? When does hers become available?

Man. I am just so bad at decision making in this game. I didn't take Squall's MC2 during the Vale. Now y'all are telling me he's gonna be amazing with Lifesiphon + Relic.

Of course I also don't have a Squall relic so it really doesn't matter. But maybe with Fang's event coming up very shortly I can put a few mithril into pulling a good weapon for Lightning.

Is Lightning's SSB currently available? I don't think it is, is it? When does hers become available?

fang's event iirc, it's a gun with a lightning element ranged SSB. I kinda really want it but don't really want to pull on the banner since I have 3 FF13 caster weapons already :(

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    PSA: Bring Rosa and/or Jump to Tower of Zot - Spire Elite, don't be a dum-dum who has to do the dungeon over.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    So is "True Damage" from Ninjas something that becomes an important thing? I feel like with us already having Swift Bolt and them giving us Water Veil in this event, which also does True Damage, they're trying to maybe make ninjas more relevant? Is ninja a part of the JP meta?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So is "True Damage" from Ninjas something that becomes an important thing? I feel like with us already having Swift Bolt and them giving us Water Veil in this event, which also does True Damage, they're trying to maybe make ninjas more relevant? Is ninja a part of the JP meta?

Only against targets with very high defenses.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I assume there is a ranking as to how good each character is for your party?

It depends on what type of team you like to run and whose SB relic you possess, but this list should be pretty accurate up to a month ago.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    PSA: Bring Rosa and/or Jump to Tower of Zot - Spire Elite, don't be a dum-dum who has to do the dungeon over.

On Normal I was waiting for the stupid thing to tornado and finally had a Mage attack to wake her up and get her going. Then shattered it for max damage when the tornado finally happened.

Woo! Beat Dark Bahamaut Elite! With the same resistances I should be okay on Ogopogo right? Last FF IV elite I have left.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited January 2016

For a long time it doesn't matter except core (generic White Mage, Black Mage, Ranger ect) characters. Don't use cores. You want a good all around team to level up to start. Classicly this is:
    A samurai
    A black mage
    A white mage
    Two general combat/support.

Cloud's a great samurai, Rydia's a good black mage, Tyro and Wakka are good combat and support. These are all availible early in dungeons though events and bonus dungeons can expand your selection choices. White mages are the hardest to come by initially, thankfully the current events have Rose or Yuna.

Getting a single team to 50 will help a lot in event dungeons though later you'll want to start expanding your roster.

Bluecyan on
    Plans for the weekend;

Get Josef to 50 from 10 and apply his MC1.
    Farm FFII stages for a few minutes to get his RM2 to drop.
    Continue pushing normal Elites to farm Tyro and Cloud RM3s.
    Beat U. Yunalesca.
    Do Sundailies with Rinoa plus four scrubs.

Cloud's not really a samurai. He can use 3* samurai moves. That means retaliate. Let's not fool ourselves and call him what he's not. He is a Combat fighter who just happens to posses a small enough samurai affinity that he can abuse one ability. And that one ability isn't even in his main class.

The real samurai characters are characters like Sephiroth, Auron, and Gilgamesh.

Sure, there aren't any 5* samurai abilities in the game right now, so being able to equip a 5* ability in that category is meaningless. But the people who can equip those skills in the future are the ones who are truly that class.

Cloud is a Combat character. People don't call Aerith a black mage even though she can use 3* black magic. She's a healer. Let's try to be consistent and honest with our character classifications.

edited January 2016
    Plans for the weekend;

Get Josef to 50 from 10 and apply his MC1.
    Farm FFII stages for a few minutes to get his RM2 to drop.
    Continue pushing normal Elites to farm Tyro and Cloud RM3s.
    Beat U. Yunalesca.
    Do Sundailies with Rinoa plus four scrubs.

FYI, the last thing on your list should be farm FF2 stages for Josef's RM2, because most people get it in weeks, not minutes.

silence1186 on
    I got Josef's RM2 on literally the last wave of minions on the last elite dungeon in all of FFII. And I started farming for his RM2 at nearly the top of the list. I think I had previously cleared two FFII elite stages before I started farming for his RM2.

Well, yeah, but remember who you're talking to here.

edited January 2016
    Well, yeah, but remember who you're talking to here.

Oh, well at least you're aware of it then. :rotate:

silence1186 on
    Cloud's not really a samurai. He can use 3* samurai moves. That means retaliate. Let's not fool ourselves and call him what he's not. He is a Combat fighter who just happens to posses a small enough samurai affinity that he can abuse one ability. And that one ability isn't even in his main class.

The real samurai characters are characters like Sephiroth, Auron, and Gilgamesh.

Sure, there aren't any 5* samurai abilities in the game right now, so being able to equip a 5* ability in that category is meaningless. But the people who can equip those skills in the future are the ones who are truly that class.

Cloud is a Combat character. People don't call Aerith a black mage even though she can use 3* black magic. She's a healer. Let's try to be consistent and honest with our character classifications.

3* in a physical class goes a lot farther than 3* in a magic class. To be a mage you need to have access to the -aga spells but even beyond that you need the appropriate stat to back it up. Hence why nobody runs Cecil with cure spells.

My reference to cloud being a samurai was intended for some of the new people, and I'll admit that I used it interchangeably with retaliator. The overwhelming majority of the time there really is no distinction.

This discussion has been closed.