As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

12346»

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    In a lot of stages if you climb stairs from a screen below a screen with pits those pits will drop you back to the previous screen not to your doom.

And are you fighting Shaft or his ghost i always found Shaft in stage 6 easy because his attacks are not hard to dodge at all.
    I keep getting hit by the third one of the sequence of lightning attacks. I haven't figured out the trick to it.

Elendil on
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to have trouble with that but in the boss demo (awesome feature btw) it shows you how to dodge it.

The trick is unlike the first two shots where you try to stay between the balls by moving, on the third shot you let them come to you.

You wait until the two crystal balls get over Richter's head (they will get right next to each other and overlap slightly) and then you move.

They do this twice, on the second pass is when they fire.

BigJoeM on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm finding a lot more in SotN than I did on my last runthrough.

Also, has anyone been to the Confession Room in the Chapel?

If you sit down on the left, the priest is voice acted.

Oh, and new 'Dark Metamorphosis' doesn't sound half as cool as the old.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Timestones wrote: »
    Gilder wrote: »
    Man, I had to look up how to get the second maiden. That was so stupid. This is old style Castlevania, I don't let anything live. If you're on-screen, I assume you're going to try and knock me into water. Plus I don't think the solution is available your first time through because I certainly didn't see "it".

That said, I just got my ass handed to me in the last stage. Last boss spoiler follows.
    Dracula just destroyed me with his bat beams and blood stabs after he went into... Dracula mode. I will defeat him though! I kind of wish they showed this form in SotN but they don't. They just stop at monster form. I wonder why.

Spoiler response:
    ... they added another transformation to Dracula? D:
    Oh, was that not in the original? I'm trying to finish the remake before trying the original one. Because he goes Dracula, Monster, and then basically God Dracula after you get all the maidens and defeat Shaft's ghost.
    Yeah. That's new all right. In the original the battle is over once you beat the monster form. Damn, that's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.
    So, does anyone have any tips for Dracula's third 'Rape Rape Horrible Rape' mode? I can get up to it w/o loosing any health as both Richter and Maria, then the reaming happens....

Did you know the PSP automatically cuts off when you strike it against a desk?

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I had to look up how to get the second maiden. That was so stupid. This is old style Castlevania, I don't let anything live. If you're on-screen, I assume you're going to try and knock me into water. Plus I don't think the solution is available your first time through because I certainly didn't see "it".

That said, I just got my ass handed to me in the last stage. Last boss spoiler follows.
    Dracula just destroyed me with his bat beams and blood stabs after he went into... Dracula mode. I will defeat him though! I kind of wish they showed this form in SotN but they don't. They just stop at monster form. I wonder why.

Spoiler response:
    Oh, was that not in the original? I'm trying to finish the remake before trying the original one. Because he goes Dracula, Monster, and then basically God Dracula after you get all the maidens and defeat Shaft's ghost.
    Yeah. That's new all right. In the original the battle is over once you beat the monster form. Damn, that's eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.
    So, does anyone have any tips for Dracula's third 'Rape Rape Horrible Rape' mode? I can get up to it w/o loosing any health as both Richter and Maria, then the reaming happens....

Hahaha, yeah it's kind of annoying your first time and it took me about 10 attempts or so, always screwing up at the end. Here's my strategy though.
    First off, get under him right at the start after you get in one or two hits. I don't know how evil his blood rain is but I'll assume it's bad. Next, he'll use his bats. Just get as far from him as possible and if you want, duck down. Then he'll use his "Fire from the ground" move. Just keep walking but don't get too close to Dracula or he'll try to stab you with his coat somehow. He makes a blood spike or something. If you get cornered, try to backflip over the flame before it rises. It works.

Next he'll use the bats again but he'll also add in the most terrible move he has. Blood spikes. Just walk until you dodge 4 of them but then immediately stop. The 5th attack is 2 spikes on the sides and the only way you can get hurt is by walking into them. After this he'll start using all those moves but in a somewhat random order. Most attacks are dodgeable by walking though so just keep doing that.

Finally, the last stage is what I like to call the Blood Blob stage. This is when he makes a blob of blood that just follow you around like the fire orbs Shaft had. Finish him off fast. Just do it. He will become a total asshole at this point. That blood blob will keep following you and he will combine all of his attacks. Do you want to dodge bats, fire, blood spikes, and a blood thing on the ground that was never used before? Of course you don't. Throw crosses like crazy and hope you hit him when you aren't whipping him in the face. Also when he moves by turning into bats, I'm pretty sure that move is just there to waste time and make the blob chase you. I don't think touching the bats as they spread out actually hurts you. Just don't let him re-form on top of you.

Gilder on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm finding a lot more in SotN than I did on my last runthrough.

Also, has anyone been to the Confession Room in the Chapel?

If you sit down on the left, the priest is voice acted.

Oh, and new 'Dark Metamorphosis' doesn't sound half as cool as the old.

I can't seem to cast any spell that has a diagonal in it :/

LockeCole on
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Spoiler response:

Hahaha, yeah it's kind of annoying your first time and it took me about 10 attempts or so, always screwing up at the end. Here's my strategy though.
    First off, get under him right at the start after you get in one or two hits. I don't know how evil his blood rain is but I'll assume it's bad. Next, he'll use his bats. Just get as far from him as possible and if you want, duck down. Then he'll use his "Fire from the ground" move. Just keep walking but don't get too close to Dracula or he'll try to stab you with his coat somehow. He makes a blood spike or something. If you get cornered, try to backflip over the flame before it rises. It works.

Next he'll use the bats again but he'll also add in the most terrible move he has. Blood spikes. Just walk until you dodge 4 of them but then immediately stop. The 5th attack is 2 spikes on the sides and the only way you can get hurt is by walking into them. After this he'll start using all those moves but in a somewhat random order. Most attacks are dodgeable by walking though so just keep doing that.

Finally, the last stage is what I like to call the Blood Blob stage. This is when he makes a blob of blood that just follow you around like the fire orbs Shaft had. Finish him off fast. Just do it. He will become a total asshole at this point. That blood blob will keep following you and he will combine all of his attacks. Do you want to dodge bats, fire, blood spikes, and a blood thing on the ground that was never used before? Of course you don't. Throw crosses like crazy and hope you hit him when you aren't whipping him in the face. Also when he moves by turning into bats, I'm pretty sure that move is just there to waste time and make the blob chase you. I don't think touching the bats as they spread out actually hurts you. Just don't let him re-form on top of you.
    So, it gets even rape-ier... this is gonna be a fun night, at least you go directly to him, no level to get you pissed...

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fucking love this game. I thought I'd end up transitioning to the part as soon as I unlocked it, but the remake has fully engaged me. Still have one more maiden to snag.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's borderline embarrasing how easily Maria can whoop Dracula. First attempt, didn't get hit once.

I got the bad ending though, which leads to two questions:

1. How many endings are there, total?

2. Can you use the Stage Select to locate each maiden, then get the best ending? Or would you have to start a new game from scratch?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1. There are two endings, Bad and Good.

2. I sure hope so, because the anal completionist in me *needed* to see both endings, so
    I deliberately didn't look for one maiden (Iris), and didn't bother to rescue Annette.
    I've already gotten the "bad" ending, so here's hoping I can go back and get the "good" one.

Also, appropriately for an old-school game, I've been getting a lot better at it the more I play it. Things that used to frustrate the hell out of me now seem so easy when I go back to the stages I've already beaten. I'm really looking forward to playing original Rondo now.

Norfair on
    edited November 2007
    Finally achieved the good ending, but still stand 17% short of full completion. I will get there, dammit, and without outsourced help. As someone who completed the maps of every GBA and DS Castlevania he owns, I feel obligated to.

One big tip for Dracula's final form:
    You can whip the parabola of bats he fires from his hand, and I'm pretty sure it does damage to him.

Blitz Rawket on
    edited November 2007
    Man, I hate those stupid red blood spikes Dracula's third form spits out. As for the blood blob, I just item crash at that point. I stick with the cross, because it's more useful in this fight. The rest of his attacks aren't too hard to avoid, thankfully.

I'm having a blast with Original Rondo, also. The only thing that bugs me is the screen ghosting, but I kind of expected that going into it. I should probably invest in the component cables and hook my Slim up to my TV. Also, the original game doesn't try to keep a record of my continues. Mine are at 000, because I would just save and quit when I died instead... I didn't want to lose any of the money I'd earned, I needed that to buy the boss demos. If you continue, it all goes away. Unfortunately, it leaves the impression that I'm really good at this game, which is a blatant falsehood; I got twelve game overs.

Norfair on
    edited November 2007
    Norfair wrote: »
    Man, I hate those stupid red blood spikes Dracula's third form spits out. As for the blood blob, I just item crash at that point. I stick with the cross, because it's more useful in this fight. The rest of his attacks aren't too hard to avoid, thankfully.

I'm having a blast with Original Rondo, also. The only thing that bugs me is the screen ghosting, but I kind of expected that going into it. I should probably invest in the component cables and hook my Slim up to my TV. Also, the original game doesn't try to keep a record of my continues. Mine are at 000, because I would just save and quit when I died instead... I didn't want to lose any of the money I'd earned, I needed that to buy the boss demos. If you continue, it all goes away. Unfortunately, it leaves the impression that I'm really good at this game, which is a blatant falsehood; I got twelve game overs.
    People have been attributing the ghosting to faulty emulation, but I'm thinking that's false; SotN and even the main game have the same issue, if you pay the proper notice to them. Their less vibrant color palettes just make it less belligerent.

Also: cheater. :P

Blitz Rawket on
    edited November 2007
    Also: cheater. :P

You know it! I have no shame. :P I suppose I would have a lot more shame if it was an online ranking, but since it's not... I can live with the results of my evil greed.

Original Rondo and SOTN look fine through component out, so I think it was just typical PSP ghosting, not bad emulation. The only new visual glitch I've noticed was when Drac transformed in SOTN's Prologue. It's still not as bad as Sting Chameleon's level in Maverick Hunter X. I could barely see going through that cave at times.

Also, this game demands headphones.

Norfair on
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After my wife saw how slow Richter walks in this game, she said: (spoilered for offensive)
    "You know what would make Castlevania a lot funnier?

If your character was in a wheelchair."

I am certainly going to hell when I die for finding that funny.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just a question for everyone: when you start of Symphony of the Night, does your PSP chug away for about thirty seconds? This one of my first PSP games and this only happens when I go to load up Symphony, so I don't know if this is a problem or normal.

Iloveslimes on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, the game takes quite a while to load for me too, but afterwards everything is smooth sailing.

Cilla Black on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Just a question for everyone: when you start of Symphony of the Night, does your PSP chug away for about thirty seconds? This one of my first PSP games and this only happens when I go to load up Symphony, so I don't know if this is a problem or normal.
    It's normal as far as SotN goes. But as for the PSP as a whole, it's not exactly all that common. Some games do have a significant load time - depends on the title.

You're good.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks. I hoped I didn't need to get my brand new PSP checked out.

Iloveslimes on