As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
14723401897_6796d1c615_o.png

What is it?
A third-person action-RPG by FromSoftware. It's also the best game on PS4 right now (YMMV, but you're clearly wrong if you disagree.)

What is it on?
Exclusive to the PS4. It is not a timed/limited exclusive. Most likely, this is Sony making up for the fact that they dropped the ball with Demon's Souls.

When does it come out?
It's out! Go forth and hunt!

Is this connected to the Souls series?
May as well call it Gothic Horror Souls. It's faster-paced, but the gameplay is practically the same aside from some mechanical differences.

Hey, there's DLC!
Yup! The Old Hunters adds new locations, enemies, weapons, etc.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Let's just get this in early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxi_w6jwRg

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I love Vaati.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    So, I need help making a decision: should I up my strength from 16 to 18 so I can then try out that snazzy Whirligig Saw on Ludwig, or should I try to kill him with my regular weapon and not worry about raising my strength until I level up naturally, so to speak?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I've been out of the loop on this for ages. What's the word on the DLC? Any good? I stopped playing after I got bored (quickly) with chalice dungeons and got the ending where
    you are apparently a squidling.

The few images of the DLC that I saw looked pretty good.

Fawst on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Fawst wrote: »
    So I've been out of the loop on this for ages. What's the word on the DLC? Any good? I stopped playing after I got bored (quickly) with chalice dungeons and got the ending where

The DLC starts off unreasonably difficult with veteran players suicide charging in to snag the DLC weapons to enjoy the standard campaign with them to come back later. It gives every different build some great toys unfortunately Skill players still have to be really high leveled to reach the good stuff. The final area struck terror in my heart because I used the Gold headset.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Whew. Finally beat this.

I'm not sure that I really feel like running it again though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I'm really torn between picking up DS2/SotFS on PS4 (it's not a Souls game if I don't own at least two copies) or The Old Hunters. I should just go back and play some Bloodborne to get my bearings. I've been playing nearly nothing but Destiny and Blops 3 since beating BB.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    So, I need help making a decision: should I up my strength from 16 to 18 so I can then try out that snazzy Whirligig Saw on Ludwig, or should I try to kill him with my regular weapon and not worry about raising my strength until I level up naturally, so to speak?

Grind out ye weapon breakpoint.
    Fawst wrote: »

Bunch of NPC hunter fights, three excellent bosses (and one bad one and one rehash, but eh). Shitloads of amazing new toys for every build - at least 3 weapons/tools each, as well as unique tweaks for the Beast Claw and Arcane gameplay. 2.5 new areas, one "re-imagining". Lots of juicy lore. Another Blood Rock (you can also buy them for 60 insight now). You'll love it, I'm pretty sure.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    First time I hear that term (breakpoint) in the context of Bloodborne. I.e. I'll get my strength up to 18, so I can actually use the Saw, right?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    does anyone know if the DLC scales with NG+? Because I didn't finish it before I accidentally game-over'd

First time I hear that term (breakpoint) in the context of Bloodborne. I.e. I'll get my strength up to 18, so I can actually use the Saw, right?

Yeah, go up to 18 str.
    Jasconius wrote: »
    does anyone know if the DLC scales with NG+? Because I didn't finish it before I accidentally game-over'd

It scales with NG+ like whoa. I'd recommend a +10 weapon, 50 vit and 50 in your damage stats for NG+.

ladi.png

Yeah, go up to 18 str.

It scales with NG+ like whoa. I'd recommend a +10 weapon, 50 vit and 50 in your damage stats for NG+.

well fuck

thinking about doing a skill/bloodtinge build instead of forging ahead in NG+, just so I can experience the game a different way

is there a viable trick weapon for bloodtinge other than Chikage?

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    thinking about doing a skill/bloodtinge build instead of forging ahead in NG+, just so I can experience the game a different way

Bowblade

Maddoc wrote: »

Bowblade

Which is in the DLC, lol.

i was thinking even a build where I run those QS bullet runes and run with something like the rifle spear

my strength build I basically gave up on gun parry pretty early, and I want to try playing a build where I have to lern 2 get gud

Jeez, yeah I'm gonna need to look up some builds. I did EZ mode (Rifle Spear) last time. Looking over the weapons list now, there are some fun-looking ones. But yeah, I totally forget the build meta aspect of the game.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Is str/bloodtinge build a thing? What would be good weapons for that kind of build?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    i can't think of anything... thats' what my original intent was, then I realized "oh, guns basically are not a damage source" and abandoned it for Arcane

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    cannon? its got bad scaling though
    itd be basically hit them with something ouchy and shoot them really hard
    rather than hey have a spear that turns into a rifle

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Is str/bloodtinge build a thing? What would be good weapons for that kind of build?

Bloodletter would be the only one, I think.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Bloodletter is realllllly good. Gatling Gun is pretty good.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular

In the main game its not really a thing, but the DLC makes it a more viable option via the Bloodletter, Church Cannon, and to a slightly lesser extent, the Gatling Gun. Its worth noting that both the Chikage and Blootletter go full on blood damage only in their trick forms, though, but a 25 Str or Skill split with 50 Bloodtinge is the common concession if you still want their untricked forms to be able to do some work.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The guns that require Strength don't really scale well with Bloodtinge

Guns can totally be a damage source, though

Maddoc on
    oh yeah, looks like bloodletter is the STR equiv to Chikage, nice

The guns that require Strength don't really scale well with Bloodtinge

Guns can totally be a damage source, though

The only gun that's worth noting for its scaling is Evelyn anyway. Church Cannon is definitely intended to lean towards a Str / Blood build though, just on the basic requirements for it to be equipped at all. And even though the Gatling Gun's scaling isn't great, having high bloodtinge will get the best out of it since its whole thing is rapid firing shots (which makes the common Cannon use of Bone Ash boosting worthless on it).

Oh, and I forgot to mention the patch for the DLC also added Madara's Whistle, which is essentially a hunter tool for bloodtinge characters rather than arcane users. Its a lot of fun to use, actually.

oh yeah that whistle is really cool... forgot all about it. the wiki seems to be a little wrong about how you get that hunter to show up though... i dont think i ever crushed 5 vermin and he still spawned

oh yeah that whistle is really cool... forgot all about it. the wiki seems to be a little wrong about how you get that hunter to show up though... i dont think i ever crushed 5 vermin and he still spawned

From what I can tell it was a bit glitched when first patched in, but now the "proper" trigger is picking up Valtr's helm. Whether you do that from crushing 5 vermin so he leaves it for you, or simply murdering him to take it instead, doesn't matter.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Bloodletter would be the only one, I think.

Ok yeah this looks awesome. Going to start pumping stats into bloodtinge now that im at 30/25/30 for vit/end/str and only just getting to byrgenworth.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    Uh, most of the guns have perfectly good Bloodtinge scaling

Evelyn is S, yes, but the Pistol, Blunderbuss, and Piercing Rifle all have A, and Repeating Pistol has B

Furthermore, Evelyn's low base damage means that it frequently only has a small damage advantage over any of the guns I listed, even at 50 Bloodtinge, and Repeating Pistol has higher damage albeit at the cost of bullet efficiency

Where Evelyn actually shines is that the damage falloff is almost nonexistent

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Well I went ahead and summoned a whole bunch of guys for the Shadows. It was pretty hilarious and I didn't feel bad about it at all.

Went ahead and butchered Darkbeast Paarl for good measure as well.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Summoning in this game is so mean to the poor things.

Okay.

Hunters coming.

PSYCHE UP THESE GUYS ARE WORSE THAN JEDI

*three shapes appear*

FUCK!!!!!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.

Evelyn is S, yes, but the Pistol, Blunderbuss, and Piercing Rifle all have A, and Repeating Pistol has B

Furthermore, Evelyn's low base damage means that it frequently only has a small damage advantage over any of the guns I listed, even at 50 Bloodtinge, and Repeating Pistol has higher damage albeit at the cost of bullet efficiency

Evelyn, or "...why did I bother levelling this in my Bowblade build". Just left it and Chikage at +9, them shits is obsolete.

ladi.png
    Yeah, Bowblade kind of makes the guns superfluous at this point, admittedly

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Summoning in this game is so mean to the poor things.

Okay.

Hunters coming.

PSYCHE UP THESE GUYS ARE WORSE THAN JEDI

*three shapes appear*

FUCK!!!!!

I actually felt a little bad for Paarl because I used the NPC summon. I think neither I nor the NPC dropped below 75% health in the encounter, and Paarl never left his recovery corner.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited January 2016
    After Paarl, I stopped using summons when playing by myself.

I just feel guilty.

Gotta give them a chance yknow.

It's just mean.

Still used them if I found them when my girlfriend was watching tho cos she's all aboard the mean train. Toot toot pile on! Honor is for losers! :^:

Morninglord on

I'm not sure how you can say the pistol's scaling is relevant when evelyn is flat out better for bloodtinge characters while simultaneously claiming evelyn's base damage is low enough the scaling isn't *that* big a deal while still mentioning the blunderbuss's scaling as being relevant.

There's a reason nearly every bloodtinge character will have evelyn equipped on one of their offhand slots - its simply the most efficient gun damage available for them that doubles as your basic, unaltered parry mechanism. Repeating Pistol is a fine weapon too really, it just gets little love because effectively halving your bullet reserves kinda sucks for the small gains you get out of it.

And the Piercing Rifle? Its...just kind of a mystery in general. I don't think I've ever even heard of anyone using it for any real purpose, nevermind seen one.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I almost one shot Amygdala and got greedy at the end of the fight. Did not respect his range.

Then I went back and he started one shotting me!

Boo, leveling vit, booooooooooo

Psn:wazukki
    It's just something you have to do and not doing it negates your right to complain about one shots.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the thing about the repeater pistol is that you can only carry 10 bone marrow ash at a time, which lines up with exactly how many shots you get by default with the repeater

now i'm no mathemagician, but you're gonna run out of marrow halfway through your evelyn bullet supply so there's probably some efficiency in the repeater's favor here