As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, by Level Up Labs, LLC

1234568»

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Great article from Lars on DQ since launch in 2012, including the (very positive) impact of the recent changes to the Steam discovery queue:

Supporting a single-player Indie RPG for Four Years

EDIT: Oh and playable demo of DQ HD in the DQ2 engine.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Boy I sure would like a Vita version of DQ HD or DQ2.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I feel bad because I haven't had much (any) time to really test the DQ2 engine stuff, despite having access to the DQ HD tests and such for a few months now.

I still grab the latest HD build every now and then and give it a go, and last one I checked felt pretty darn near complete.

I won't be surprised if DQHD gets pushed out officially pretty shortly. It's a free upgrade for current owners anyway, but I'd have happily paid for it again.

Hopefully once the HD of the first game gets released DQ2 will go into testing before long after for those of us with the tiers to be in the alpha.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• larsiusprimelarsiusprime Registered User regular
    Defender's Quest DX launches in June :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEarmXpMag8

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @larsiusprime, the games are looking good! If someone pre-ordered a 4 pack of DQ2, is there a way to get the DQ1 codes that came with the order out now, separately? Or are they paired to the eventual DQ2 codes? Thanks!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Huh.

The HD version broke. It's just not there. I've done all sorts of fancy things with appcache, verifying files, deleting, reinstalling but the game simply won't download from steam.

It says it is fully there, but there is nothing but a soundtrack.

So....

The update this morning fixed it, so I can play now.

Yay time for complete playthrough #564267372!

Hero Mode makes some of the challenges hard as balls.

Oy. The crashing with the DX version is nuts. :(

Seems like maybe some pretty ugly memory leaks going on.

Gonna dork with settings and see if I can mitigate it; but as is the Challenge maps are more challenging getting to the end without crashing than they are actually by design. Endless maps are right out.

I claim this thread in the name of me!

194 stars with hero mode. I'm sure I could get 198 without much problem but I'm only focusing on the extreme modes of the last maps since they have no gear/xp that can make me stronger thus making the increments not worth it.

Starting to think that the final two maps (both final ending maps) aren't in the cards for me on NG+ extreme.

With only one archer and one knight, that map is virtually impossible, even playing on 1/4 speed and micromanaging every single enemy with mostly maxed spells (except healing and crystals). Archers tend to be functionally useless in most of the late game NG+ maps anyway but its compounded with only having one and knights not having multi target attacks and slow attacks at all.

The main problem seems to be that the fatties who turn into 3 fatties then turn into 6 of the fast snails aren't effected by the book of blood or book of poison; so they're not draining as per usual which is what makes most other things in the hero mode challenge bearable. I'm not sure if it is intentional or not. But it just makes them too much, and worse given that the 3 fatties have the periodic phasing so there's period where there is nothing that can be done.

Similarly the bosses in the few stage that teleport, including the final map, aren't effected by said books. More understandable, but much trickier to handle the trash and have your small handful of heroes actually put out damage on them.

Just an FYI to my ramblings, pretty much every thing that was causing problems with the game, that I was experiencing, has been patched and fixed.

I don't think @larsiusprime is sleeping, but I thank him for it.

Now just buff archers in NG+ :P

edited July 2016
    Since this is apparently my personal thread now...:P

After banging my head against the last two maps of NG+ on extreme in hero mode I decided to "relax" and start a full new playthrough not in hero mode.

Got everything up to the very last map done (197 stars I think?) and good jeebus that last map.

Weirdly I ended up finding, even with 6 of every hero, in many instances it was more advantageous just to use the hero-mode style since you can easily max out those heroes immediately and one 5* unit is better than 6 2*'s. I'd just use extra PSI for dropping a new hero max boosted instead of putting it on 1/4 and spamming lightning bolt like I did in much of my hero mode playthrough.

Still struggling. Helps that I realized that books of blood/plagues are a pure hinderance to you in the final map since the boss isn't effected by them and the +25% damage to your heroes it gives him makes his lighting bolt insta-gib 2 heroes no matter their level, health or defenses. Without those books it doesn't which makes a huge difference. I just had to take a break. I think I have a good idea of how to do the Ketta/Markos final map in hero mode now, but I'll have to sit down sometime and actually give it a shot. I think it'll require dorking with my talents beforehand.

Scratching my head still on that final map, hero mode or not.

EDIT: Oddly, I know I've done it before. I can probably dig up an old save file where I had done everything. But it must have been prior to some balancing or something because it feels totally different.

The Dude With Herpes on

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Hero mode is definitely an interesting challenge. The Knight/Archer map is definitely a challenge. I think I've got an approach, but yeah, talents and whatnot will need a lot of changes.

I recently moved, and Defender's Quest was just about the only thing I could play without my laptop overheating. Definitely put a few more miles in to it.

• 007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    looking forward to trying this!

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.