As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBox 360 Hard-drive

Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
So, are you able to put any hard-drive you want in, or do you have to put in an official XBox 360 (tm) hard-drive for it to work?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of getting a 360 arcade since it is $100 less than the premium with the only difference being that it is missing the 20gb hard-drive, then using the $100 to buy a hard-drive much bigger than 20gb.

Am I misguided, stupid?

smugduckling,pc,days.png
Smug Duckling on

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To my knowledge there is no (legitimate) way to just drop a drive into the 360's interesting housing.

I believe they are simply SATA laptop drives but I've never taking the thing apart.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The 360 only uses 360 hard drives that you have to buy from MS. You pay $100 for a 20gig or $180 for a 120gig. You will need a hard drive to play xBox1 games.

FYI, the Arcade 360 only comes with composite cables. So you'll have to buy a component/HDMI cable as well if you want HD graphics or want/have the HD-DVD add-on.

Edited for confusion, thanks chasm.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shroud, you've got components and composites confused. ;-)

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A Homer Simpson D'oh icon would be great right about now. :)

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    One question I have about the hard drives is: Can I load up a saved game off of my friends hard drive, take it off, then put my hard drive on and save it to mine? I want his save on my hard drive, but I am not real savy on the whole copying files from one to another. Will it mess up anything on either drive, or mess up my 360?

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Narket wrote: »
    One question I have about the hard drives is: Can I load up a saved game off of my friends hard drive, take it off, then put my hard drive on and save it to mine? I want his save on my hard drive, but I am not real savy on the whole copying files from one to another. Will it mess up anything on either drive, or mess up my 360?

What you're asking sounds like swapping hard drives out when the xbox is on. Thats a big no. Get a memory card if you want to swap saves between drives.

Arrath on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another problem is that each savegame is linked to a profile. Unless you want to use his profile you can't do much with "his" savegames.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If this is just the general hard drive thread a small question.

How do I delete the Halo 3 beta from my crackdown save? Do I just go into it and it will give me the option to delete everything seperately? I'm a little worried just selecting it in case it deletes the entire save area.

Blake T on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You cant dump whatever hard drive you want in it.

There is security stuff on the drive and the drives firmware that allows the 360 to save protected/secure content to it.

You can plug in USB drives into the 360, but the only good thing that is for is to store music becuase you cant save protected content to it.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So to clarify, if I wanted to transfer a save game from one X360 to another I can't use a USB drive and would need to purchase an official memory card? (Situation: over Christmas I would like to play on my brother's X360, and then have all my progress when I return home after the break on my X360. And I would like to not spend money. What can I do?)

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So to clarify, if I wanted to transfer a save game from one X360 to another I can't use a USB drive and would need to purchase an official memory card? (Situation: over Christmas I would like to play on my brother's X360, and then have all my progress when I return home after the break on my X360. And I would like to not spend money. What can I do?)

You have to spend money and get a xbox360 memory unit. Just like other previous consoles.

Like said before, you cant transfer a savegame from a different profile to your own. it has to be your *own* savegame on your own live profile.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just want a place to say this:

My xbox 360 just showed me it's three red rings of doom. I called up Microsoft, told them, and they are going to fix it despite my warrenty most likley being out of date. I am happy and sad all at once.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

My xbox 360 just showed me it's three red rings of doom. I called up Microsoft, told them, and they are going to fix it despite my warrenty most likley being out of date. I am happy and sad all at once.

Um... I can tell you that your 3 red rings warranty is not out of date. it's a 3 year warranty for that problem and the 360 isn't even 2 years old yet.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Your warranty is still active.
    Actually, I bet your warranty still has a least a year and 16 days left!

Sanders on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well hots to the damn. I had no idea they extended it again.

projectmayhem on