As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA]Break a leg!

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    for those of you who do striking: how often do you wash your wraps and what do you use to wash them?

So far I've just been airing them out after class but I've also only used them twice.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Is there anyone currently in training to fill the fight so we don't have a gassed opponent in round 3?

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    for those of you who do striking: how often do you wash your wraps and what do you use to wash them?

So far I've just been airing them out after class but I've also only used them twice.

I very rarely train striking myself, but any fabric being sweated into should be washed after every training session.

Anyone that tells you otherwise can enjoy their and their teamate's staph infections at their leisure.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

If you're using traditional cloth wraps wash them with the clothes you wore right after the class.

No reason not to wash them.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular

If you're using traditional cloth wraps wash them with the clothes you wore right after the class.

Won't they get all tangled up in the washing machine?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Won't they get all tangled up in the washing machine?

Seriously dude wash them every time, don't stink fist people. Take a sock, put the wraps in the sock and ball it up, throw it in the washer like that. One wrap per sock or they will get tangled.

Also another tip, a lot of our guys use this to keep gloves a little fresher, get some rice or some Hamster bedding type stuff, put it in a sock and tie it off, put this in your glove when done training to absorb some of the sweat. Make sure to change the stuff out now and then. Works pretty great, we have guys that swear by it and others that sweat by letting gloves air out in the sun. The guys letting gloves air out in the sun have had gloves stolen and we also never see the goddamn sun for half the year or whatever here so there's issues with that. A company sells a fancy version of this called glove dogs but easier to do yourself.

http://www.titleboxing.com/glove-dogs

Also Conor is now the division champ by forfeit. He'll inform everyone of this shortly. He'll also graciously defend his belt against RDA when he's healthy.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    That didn't take long. Cerrone has offered to take the fight, says he's at 174 and isn't sure he can make the weight in time but he's offered to take it.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I wonder if UFC will give Connor another hasty interim title fight. Would be a tad weird if he fights Cerrone for it, considering how Cowboy just lost an actual title fight. Pettis is too far away from his next fight to step in and there's no way in hell Dana gives Khabib Connor. Too much potential of grapple fucking in there, also the density of smack talk might rip a hole in space time.

In less fucked news and having been plagued with injuries himself, Davey Grant from our gym is fighting at the UFC in London. Much excite!

edited February 2016
    Very cool Campy, will watch for him.

If I were them I'd be looking at Nate Diaz and Cerrone, you can't expect Conor to suddenly cut additional weight to defend against Frankie Edgar, even if he offered to it's a bad idea. Cerrone just won his last fight and could act as a measuring stick for Conor vs RDA or Nate Diaz, simply because it's Nate Diaz and who wouldn't pay to see that. I'd be more excited for that then the RDA fight.

I knew I recognized that name, I was cheering for Grant on the ultimate fighter, was cheerin for him against Holdsworth.

Chessboxing909 on

Campy what were the injuries? He's been gone a long time. Also what's the deal with this drill he's doing with the hula hoop in this video, that's so bizarre haha, do you guys use that and can ya explain it? That's a new one, never seen it before.

https://youtu.be/nqv_gKZTl5I

Not sure on the injury specifics, but he's had a few of them and all at the worst possible times. He's a proper nice guy from the small amount of interactions I've had with him and his ground game is insane considering he's only a blue belt in gi.

The hoop thing I have no idea on >_< As with a lot of gyms the pro-team are doing a lot of general agility and flexibility work these days, and this seems to be one of the exercises. Can't find it now, but there's a video of the entire pro-team team going at it with them, it's cracking!:D

That's the strangest drill. Yeah he seemed like a good dude on the show and a solid fighter glad to hear he's back at it. A lot of times if guys stick around the gym during injuries and help out they improve a lot technically too by breaking things down, could be he comes back stronger.

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    SHIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

Was so damned excited for UFC 196.

It's looking like Cerrone got the fight.

Excitement rising......

This is a more fun matchup I think. RDA is a pretty rough matchup for Conor, I like his chances against Cerrone. Also the build up to the fight with RDA had felt weak, not a ton of talk to go with it so this adds something interesting

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Gosh darnit!

Fuck off and die.
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    They called Jose Aldo first and he said...nope, I'm good right here on the couch.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    That's the UFC protecting their current top moneymaker. They don't want to chance losing to the much better Cowboy before fighting Anjos. Connor will make short work of Diaz.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Here I was wondering why 11 days away we had seen no ads hyping Conor/RDA or the event at all. Welp, no wonder

Always re-read your tweets before trying to talk smack.

• peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    definitely nate now ufc announced it

spoilered for huge
    12725095_1713573728921436_203927152_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE5MTc1Mzk5NjcyODQ3NTY2Mg%3D%3D.2

It's at WW? Advantage McGregor there. He's been looking at cutting to 155 and now he has 15 less pounds to worry about. That significantly reduces his prep time and the stress on his body.

I think I'm more excited for this fight than RDA. Both guys like to taunt their opponents and both can strike. It's going to be a shitshow. Hahaha.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    half camp diaz
    worse than half camp mendes

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    I couldn't be happier about this. I think Cerrone would have been an easier fight with how he moves Nate had such weird stand up and with all the trash talk and just plain insanity they both have in and out of the ring, it's just.....it's beautiful. take this over the RDA fight any day

edited February 2016
    Also had a student at our gyms ankle explode from a leg scissor take down tonight. If you mess with these be very very careful, they're illegal in most competitions for a reason and they can be risky to train at high intensity. Same with heel hooks, if you're going full tilt and applying heel hooks chances are someone's going to get hurt and I seriously doubt that person is a pro athlete. Have to handle the dangerous shit really responsibly. Only work leg scissor takedowns when it's a slower pace with someone smooth and if you're going to work on heel hooks have a catch and releas policy. Someone gets the position and the grip, if they can hold it in place and count to five congrats they win, move on. Practice applying them in drill time and just work positionally after that if you aren't a pro athlete. Sorry for the rant just hate seeing injuries that could have been easily avoided.

Oh and worth mentioning that's two ankles that have snapped with separate instances and completely different people at two different gyms in the area from leg scissor take downs. Both times they were just going at it full tilt and went for it. And none of these guys ar going to be going to ADCC or any shit like that anytime soon. Such a shame.

Chessboxing909 on

edited February 2016
    ChillyWilly on
    I'd rather have seen Conor fight Cowboy, but I suppose this isn't too bad.

Though I don't think the prefight trash talk is going to be as good as people are anticipating.

Nate Diaz doesn't really talk trash so much as he rambles semi coherently about being from the streets and how he doesn't get paid enough or something.

Dangerbird wrote: »
    I'd rather have seen Conor fight Cowboy, but I suppose this isn't too bad.

Though I don't think the prefight trash talk is going to be as good as people are anticipating.

Nate Diaz doesn't really talk trash so much as he rambles semi coherently about being from the streets and how he doesn't get paid enough or something.

I'm not too sure, Conor might really set Nate off, it could get pretty entertaining. The fight itself is going to be something else I can't wait.

Also just saying but....Nick fights at 170, if Conor wins I know who I'd want to see him fight next

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    After Nates last fight he was shit talking Conor in the cage. I think the trash talk will go beautifully. Can't wait

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Yea, I'm sure it'll be entertaining, but I don't think it will be a back and forth type thing.

Conors just going to push all his buttons and piss him off, which will probably be really funny.

But win or lose, Nate will probably hug him after the fight. This is the big payday hes been dreaming of. He'll probably make more for this fight than he did for his title bout against Benson.

ygafk4i1etw9.jpg

Also here's the final list for EBI 6. It looks amazing.

http://www.bjjee.com/featured/ebi-6-epic-16-man-tournament-card-finalised/

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I hope that whatever happens the fight doesn't end too quickly.

Because with those two there should be a shit-ton of clowning in the cage and I eat that stuff up.

edited February 2016
    Press conference.

Starts at about 27 minutes in.

Conor and Nate start getting into it pretty quickly. Just as we expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Ze86N21ro

ChillyWilly on
    Hehe, a McGregor press conference is just as entertaining as the fight itself.

It makes a huge difference when his opponent can speak english though.

That quip about Shields and Melendez was a pretty good comeback to Nate's steroids comment.

Mac's timing and precision are just too much to handle.

edited February 2016
    My eyelid flipped inside out while inside an armless triangle yesterday. So that's new. Realized all of a sudden I couldn't close that eye and had to push back up to flip it back. Pretty. neat. Also armless triangles are bull.

Chessboxing909 on

My eyelid flipped inside out while inside an armless triangle yesterday. So that's new. Realized all of a sudden I couldn't close that eye and had to push back up to flip it back. Pretty. neat. Also armless triangles are bull.

I just had to google what they are, gat damn that's sneaky.