As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

• brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    the store is being a right bugger at the moment and oh god i want to play this puppy

Post some impressions when you get a chance, I'd like to see what other people are thinking about this. This is the next big exclusive till Haze right? Also, your request a few days ago for shimmying will not go unfulfilled. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arg, apparently there's a bug where the demo doesn't work on PAL ps3's

i don't know whether to download it to be crushed first hand or just go to work and pretend i didn't play it to maintain integrity

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arg, apparently there's a bug where the demo doesn't work on PAL ps3's

i don't know whether to download it to be crushed first hand or just go to work and pretend i didn't play it to maintain integrity

Yeah, I heard the same thing and I'm not going to bother downloading it. It sounds like everyone with a pal system is having the problem. Ah well, I'll download the new DMC4 trailer and Tekken Online for now. I really hope SCEE get the pal Uncharted demo up next week but I have a feeling they'll take a couple of weeks...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here are some of my first impressions of the demo:

First of all, it's a great game. The cover system works like Gears and is really responsive and intuitive. It's easy to stick to cover, get out of cover, and move to other cover with just the touch of the circle button. Combat is also similar, hold L1 to aim, R1 to fire, etc. One thing that is different is that you can melee enemies, which is incredibly devastating if you can get up close (and necessary for me, as I found myself running out of ammo a few times). When you engage in hand-to-hand fighting, the camera switches to a more cinematic view and you can press the square and triangle buttons to create combos. A very satisfying experience.

The graphics are incredible; the jungle really looks alive and lush with great colors and the water is a treat to look at. Some things I noticed are that the graphical details in the game are really top notch; for example when you run around, Drake's t-shirt wrinkles exactly like you would expect it would if you were running around outside. Another thing I noticed was that when you get wet, Drake's clothes also get wet and actually dry when you run around. All in all, the graphical quality and detail are staggering, up to the point where I was just running around at various parts to take it all in. It really does look great and plays smooth.

Some other things:

1. Sixaxis implementation was solid and not intrusive at all. It ranges from using the motion sensor to balance yourself across beams to throwing grenades. I found it to be pretty well done and doesn't detract from the game at all.

2. The writing and dialogue is well done. The opening cutscene had me laughing and really enjoying the characters, as brief as it was. Also, the environmental dialogue that occurs from Drake and the enemies in the game is really pretty cool. When you're standing behind cover Drake will sometimes mutter things to himself like "Oh great" and "Here they come" etc. so it really does sort of create this character that you feel is actually sort of an everyman and not some military badass.

3. The details in the platforming are also mind-blowing as well. When you drop from a height, Drake will actually hit the ground and roll instead of just landing on his feet like an acrobat or something. Also, when performing jumps and grabs and stuff in the air, it really feels like Drake is making every effort to hit the platform, again creating a sense that he's just another person and not some Olympic gold medal gymnast. It sounds dumb, but it really feels like the character has some "weight" to him so to speak, in that he really has to fight against gravity and make every effort to hit the right platform.

This demo really just made me switch from on the fence to must buy on the first day. It's shaping up to be a great game, and I think the end product will deliver.

geestack on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Geestack, nice impressions! I agree about the writing. I found the characters to be surprisingly real given the limited amount of time I saw them in the demo. They're definitely not typical videogame characters, and I'm hoping that the rest of the cutscenes don't disappoint. Also, I love the weight that Drake has to him. It makes him feel like an actual little guy running around and not just some avatar. It's pretty cool. I'm hoping Assassin's Creed has the same feeling, as I think their whole "Marionette Control" idea is aimed at accomplishing that.

But I digress. The shooting in the game is surprisingly challenging, and the AI is quite good also. I didn't expect the shooting to offer that level of complexity for some reason.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited November 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    But I digress. The shooting in the game is surprisingly challenging, and the AI is quite good also. I didn't expect the shooting to offer that level of complexity for some reason.

I thought the same thing, in that the AI is pretty good about moving in and out of cover and not just standing in one place waiting to be shot. A few times I found myself having to run A LOT just to stop them from circling me and taking me out. And this was just on normal. I'm gonna go back and start it on hard to see the differences.

geestack on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    That preview sounded really good geestack. I was considering it before but I think I'm pushed into the purchase camp now.

I guess this confirms that Amy Hennig is magic.

DarkWarrior on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone else been having ridiculous trouble getting the store to work? It's been taking like 20 minutes to load and then when I click on the demo icon it times out.

Goddammit I want to play!

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited November 2007
    Reznik wrote: »
    Has anyone else been having ridiculous trouble getting the store to work? It's been taking like 20 minutes to load and then when I click on the demo icon it times out.

My brother had the same problems. He just kept trying and eventually got the download to work, so just keep at it I guess. Good luck, it's a lot of fun ;-)

geestack on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For some reason I'm getting a lot of connection errors too now. I did get the demo downloaded after a while, though, and I just played through it. It looks like the game will be really fun and challenging (even on normal). It plays like RE4, but with a cover system, and way better camera control. I think the demo basically cemented it as a purchase for me.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Solid demo.
    Aside from the camera fucking me over a couple of times, it's a Day one purchase.

Naughty Dog rules.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
    edited November 2007
    some promising news on the PAL front
    Hi guys and gals,

We hear you loud and clear. Wanted to chime in here and let you know that we have shared your frustration with the Naughty Dog team and we are going to see what we can do. I will be back tomorrow with an update, but in the meantime I hope you can be patient and bear with us. As you have learned through communicating with Evan and Amy on the blog, Naughty Dog is a studio that listens to gamers, so I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks,
    Sam

my fingers are crossed!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited November 2007
    some promising news on the PAL front
    Hi guys and gals,

We hear you loud and clear. Wanted to chime in here and let you know that we have shared your frustration with the Naughty Dog team and we are going to see what we can do. I will be back tomorrow with an update, but in the meantime I hope you can be patient and bear with us. As you have learned through communicating with Evan and Amy on the blog, Naughty Dog is a studio that listens to gamers, so I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks,
    Sam

my fingers are crossed!

My reaction wasn't as god-damn retarded as some of the posters on the PS Blog but I was still pretty disappointed by the stupid bug and their lame excuse. But wow, if they actually re-compiled the entire demo just to get rid of the bug, I'd freaking love them.

Unco-ordinated on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I skimmed through the GAF thread on this and learned nothing. Need more G&T impressions plz.

bruin on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man. This game. I must have it NOW.

The attention to detail on Nate alone is just astounding, from the way his clothes get wet and then dry, to the way he actually ducks when he's getting shot at. I just love it when you're in cover and the bullets are whizzing by and Nate's just got this look on his face like 'oh shit, i'm getting shot at!!'. The animations are simply amazing. I would go so far as to say he's probably the most well animated game character ever. Everything is just so smooth and natural looking.

The acting in the demo's opening cutscene was top notch as well. It's refreshing to have some characters that act like real people, and not "I'm a hardened badass and nothing scares me ever so I'm going to run in and shoot everything because I'm a bad motherfucker HOORAH!"

I can't even organize my thoughts properly, I'm just so stoked about this game. The demo's better than I had imagined.

As far as gameplay goes, it's pretty tight. The gunplay was a bit hard, I found, but I haven't played any console shooters for a while so it might just be a matter of me having to get used to analog again. I had no problems with the platforming other than I found that Nate slid a bit when stopping after running, but I'm pretty sure it's intentional and just something I need to compensate for when I'm setting up for a jump.

I predict great things coming out of this game.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All animations in the game are improvised on the spot (Assuming I'm correctly informed)

He flinches in response to bullets, hunches the harder he hits the ground etc etc.

The Black Hunter on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why can't this game suck? I already have too much to play, and Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed are going to devour a lot of hours. I may have to ignore Unreal Tournament 3. I'm still downloading the demo, though, so we'll see!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just finished off the demo and I can say I'm impressed. Uncharted is not my style of game ... however it is "best in it's class" for the gametype it falls under, that being a game in the same vein as the Tomb Raider series and Prince of Persia series.

Personally I don't enjoy these style of games however if you are a fan of the genre, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is going to be a must buy.

Folks in here were not kidding about the animations ... they are sick. I enjoyed the action sequences as well, the cover dynamic has been well implemented. Even when under cover he's always moving ... it's different from other "cover" games I've played like Gears and Rainbow Six ... the character is still always moving gently in a lifelike manner even when under cover. As somebody else said he also gets "OH FUCK" looks on his face when in firefights.

Bamelin on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    just from the OP, this looks great. Wish I could play it... not sure how much longer I can hold off.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Just finished off the demo and I can say I'm impressed. Uncharted is not my style of game ... however it is "best in it's class" for the gametype it falls under, that being a game in the same vein as the Tomb Raider series and Prince of Persia series.

Fuck right off.

That's my favorite genre.

And I lack a PS3.

:(

UnbreakableVow on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Fuck right off.

And I lack a PS3.

If it makes you feel any better buying this PS3 broke me so badly I can't even buy Call of Duty 4 until next payday (15th). THAT'S the game I really want to be playing right now :(

Although I did recieve a free review copy of GHIII in the mail ... with the wireless guitar

Bamelin on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Fuck right off.

And I lack a PS3.

If it makes you feel any better buying this PS3 broke me so badly I can't even buy Call of Duty 4 until next payday (15th). THAT'S the game I really want to be playing right now :(

Although I did recieve a free review copy of GHIII in the mail ... with the wireless guitar

I -despise- you. All of you! I need reasons NOT to buy a PS3, it's Xmas, I can't afford it!

In all seriousness though, I'd love to play this demo, the game is exactly MY type of game. It's so gutting that no shops around here have display PS3 models set up.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Took about three hours to finally get in the store and download the game, but the wait was certainly worth it. I must say that I was impressed that there was enough interest in the Uncharted demo to generate so much traffic to the Playstation Store that the server went down. Well, Uncharted coupled with the GHIII DLC maybe.

I'm not gonna repeat all the things that have been mentioned already but there were two other things I noticed. I was admiring the water effects and zoomed in with the aim function to get a closer look. (I'm using a 19" SD TV so sometimes I have to zoom to really appreciate the graphics) My immediate reaction was "Holy Shit! Look at all the fish!". I spent about 5 minutes just watching them swim around my feet. The second thing I noticed was a kind of hidden Blair Witch looking thing, hanging from a branch back in the trees, in a little alcove type clearing. This was fairly early in the demo. Think it was shortly after you kick in the first gate, off to the right somewhere. I saw it from a distance and when I got closer was prompted to press L2. The camera just centers on the object and Drake says "What's This?". That's it. Then you go on your merry way. Anybody else find this?

*EDIT* The "Blair Witch" lookin thing I mentioned is after you get to the top of the first waterfall, off to the right, before you start climbing up to the spot where you encounter the first enemies.

I'm struggling with getting the feel of the mélée commands. I've tried quickly tapping the combo and timing it more slowly, but it just doesn't seem to add up. It usually goes blow for blow until I'm dead or near dead and easy pickings for anyone with a gun.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just finished playing through the demo. One word: WOW

I agree with what's already been said. This game looks and plays great. I can't wait to play it. I am going to be SOO poor with all these great games coming out all at the same time...

jabrams007 on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This shit was amazing. I agree with basically all the impressions above, but I'd like to note a few flaws I noticed.

-There were some spots where I experienced some tearing, mainly the area with the waterfall
    -Seemed like every time I jumped/climbed up a ledge, the framerate dropped for half a second
    -The sound suite didn't feel 'complete'. I felt like there should have been more effects in certain areas, particularly the waterfall.

All of those things can be fixed in the launch version though.

Interestingly, the animation in-game is better than the cutscene stuff. O_o

This makes me really sad, it was either this or Assassin's Creed, and I badly need a new sandbox game. Guess I'll pick this up next year.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    holy shit being an obnoxious internet prick works!

uncharted demo is now good for PAL users

let's do this shit

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That is awesome. Have fun guys!

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    holy shit being an obnoxious internet prick works!

uncharted demo is now good for PAL users

let's do this shit

Huzzah! Have had a pretty shitty day so far but this certainly brightens things up. I love you Naughty Dog.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited November 2007
    what a fantastic game

i love the gun battles. the way they're divided up into little individual set-pieces reminded me a bit of metal gear solid - there's lots of room for strategy, "how can i do this perfectly?". i love that they get drawn out into these big standoffs at times and at others the AI just closes right in. the sounds help too - the gunfire is great, and the ear-ringing pitch when a grenade goes off is awesome. unless that's just my ears acting up...

graphics animation lighting awesome etc. i'm going to spend a lot of time playing this. can't wait to get into the story

edit: my girlfriend thinks drake's hot, and she likes the story. looks like i'll be able to throw it on whenever i like. roll on the 19th

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gears of Persia Raider? Yes, and I love it.

SpikedFreak on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Took about three hours to finally get in the store and download the game, but the wait was certainly worth it. I must say that I was impressed that there was enough interest in the Uncharted demo to generate so much traffic to the Playstation Store that the server went down. Well, Uncharted coupled with the GHIII DLC maybe.

I'm not gonna repeat all the things that have been mentioned already but there were two other things I noticed. I was admiring the water effects and zoomed in with the aim function to get a closer look. (I'm using a 19" SD TV so sometimes I have to zoom to really appreciate the graphics) My immediate reaction was "Holy Shit! Look at all the fish!". I spent about 5 minutes just watching them swim around my feet. The second thing I noticed was a kind of hidden Blair Witch looking thing, hanging from a branch back in the trees, in a little alcove type clearing. This was fairly early in the demo. Think it was shortly after you kick in the first gate, off to the right somewhere. I saw it from a distance and when I got closer was prompted to press L2. The camera just centers on the object and Drake says "What's This?". That's it. Then you go on your merry way. Anybody else find this?

*EDIT* The "Blair Witch" lookin thing I mentioned is after you get to the top of the first waterfall, off to the right, before you start climbing up to the spot where you encounter the first enemies.

I'm struggling with getting the feel of the mélée commands. I've tried quickly tapping the combo and timing it more slowly, but it just doesn't seem to add up. It usually goes blow for blow until I'm dead or near dead and easy pickings for anyone with a gun.

Just got done with the demo. I saw the Blair Witch thing, but I couldn't get into the little alcove, so I just kept on going. This game looks like it's going to be excellent.

langfor6 on
    edited November 2007
    the first review's popped up - 9.1 from IGN

still looks like everything you could hope it would be. i'm getting excited!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Since Assassin's Creed isn't looking as hot as it did, I'll be using the money I would've spent on that on this, for sure.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After playing the demo, I think the graphics are very impressive, and the jumping mechanics are great.

My main problem is that (at least in the demo) the verticality of the playing areas seems completely wasted as there is little to no incentive at all to get creative with climbing/jumping around on the ruins to find vantage points or to sneak up on enemies/hide. The gunplay also seems a little weak.

Hopefully these are things that change as you progress further into the game. I can definitely see this at least as rental.

Scosglen on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SOLD! :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    My main problem is that (at least in the demo) the verticality of the playing areas seems completely wasted as there is little to no incentive at all to get creative with climbing/jumping around on the ruins to find vantage points or to sneak up on enemies/hide. The gunplay also seems a little weak.

really? it took me a couple of runs through but i recently noticed that at the second gate you bust down, with two enemies waiting behind it, instead of breaking the door and using the wall for cover you can use a rock to leap and hoist yourself up against a hole in the wall, and pick the bad dudes off from there

i thought the variety in strategic options made the gunplay really exciting, especially on hard mode where you have to start planning before you jump in

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yea, so I've decided that I'm going to hold out on Assassins Creed, maybe a rental/used purchase. Thats ok, because now that money saved is going towards Uncharted. Can't wait.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    there's also a eurogamer review up now which is pretty bloody positive

i want this so bad i better order it now

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yea, so I've decided that I'm going to hold out on Assassins Creed, maybe a rental/used purchase. Thats ok, because now that money saved is going towards Uncharted. Can't wait.

Yeah, I've dumped Assassin's Creed off my must buy list too, I figure I'll rent it and that's it. It doesn't affect my Uncharted purchase though, since I was always going to buy it, but it does save me a bit of money (though that'll probably be spent on christmas presents anyway).

Oh and since I forgot to post my demo impressions when the fixed demo came out last week, I'll give some now. My first play through the demo wasn't so good and while I enjoyed it, I was kind of disappointed. It wasn't really the games fault, it was more due to me sucking and really not knowing what the hell to do a lot of the time. But the second time I went through, I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. Instead of shooting all my rounds at walls, I conserved my ammo a lot more and got some mean headshots. One time I can clearly remember, was when one of the bad guys decided it was a good idea to lie down on the ground and shoot me, right up until I shot him in the face.

The graphics, as has been mentioned many times, are amazing. And the small touches? Crazy awesome. Nathan flinches when shot at and his clothes actually take time to dry, something I'd heard of but still felt really cool when I was actually playing the game.

I do really hope there's more platforming in the game though, the tiny platforming parts in the demo were fun but I want something to sink my teeth into, instead of being really short breaks inbetween gun fights.

Btw, EGM gave Uncharted three 8.5 scores.

Unco-ordinated on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At this point, the only thing that I'm not seeing that I wish I was, is some kinda co-op. This can make that 'Lasting Appeal' worth so much more. But who knows at this point, seems like more and more games come out with 'expansion packs' on PSN... hopefully Uncharted will get a co-op one. :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]