As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I've been able to play through a few more sections tonight so I have material for this week, and I just wanted to say:

"I HATE ALIEN WORLDS!"

that is all.

Lambda Complex should be going up Wednesday. I'll probably be quite busy at work tomorrow.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MidVicious wrote: »
    I played Xen once already dammit and that was enough.

Oh, and, fuck the Nihilanth.
    I adore this game like few others, but yeah, HELL yeah, those levels sucked. On repeated playthroughs I always stop there.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MidVicious wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »
    Please add to the OP about Black Mesa:

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

I can't fucking wait for it! But damn are they taking their sweet time, going on three years now. :(

It sucks that Valve won't help them with the project. But then, I think either Valve or their once parent company Activision (not sure of the history about this) knows that if (and God pray when!) this project is released, sales for the original Half-Life game will plummet because this will be a free alternative.

Valve won the rights to all of their games when they sued Vivindi (Or rather, when Vivindi sued them trying to claim that they owned the rights when they really didn't have a leg to stand on). Activision has never been associated with Valve Software. It was just Sierra, who got bought by Vivindi.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Valve (or someone related) bought the source code/maps etc. to BlackMesaSource after its completion specifically so they could sell it on the market. Either way I wouldn't be too upset, as long as the BMS team got their credit.

Way bigger headache than it's worth. The BMS team isn't some little 3 man mod group.. there's dozens of people work on it, and I'm willing to bet that there's been several dozen who have worked on it, and who's work still exists in the project in some form, meaning Valve would have to compensate each and every person. (This is why CS retail was missing a bunch of favorite maps; the people who made them didn't want to sell the rights to them to Valve.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • MMANMMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MMAN on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i loved xen

LaCabra on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MMAN wrote: »

Haha, you have an unhealthy obsession with making sure everything that can break is broken or that can explode is blown up...but then again..so do I.

Gear Girl on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought Xen was neat. Jumping puzzles = no fun, but it was definitely something different.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited November 2007
    Lambda Core
    LambdaCore001.jpg
    I've finally reached Lambda Core! Perhaps I'll find those scientists who are actually still alive and willing to help me!

LambdaCore002.jpg
    Reactor complex?

LambdaCore003.jpg
    Whoah, that's a LONG way down.. Watch where you step, Gordon!

LambdaCore004.jpg
    Unsuspecting headcrabs suspect nothing

LambdaCore005.jpg
    Anamolous materials sounds so much cooler than hazardous.

LambdaCore006.jpg
    With a lack of marines, I'm running low on machine gun ammo. Time to switch to the shotgun! Been stocking up on ammo for this thing for a while now.

LambdaCore007.jpg
    You know, every time I think I'm going to meet some scientists, I find dead scientists..

LambdaCore008.jpg
    Crap! Assassins!

LambdaCore009.jpg
    Ha! Puny little assassins can't take a few shotgun blasts. Their aim sucks too.

LambdaCore010.jpg
    No time to gloat, Gordon! There's another one!

LambdaCore011.jpg
    Come out, come out, wherever you are!

LambdaCore013.jpg
    More dead bodies..

LambdaCore014.jpg
    Refueling station!

LambdaCore017.jpg
    I really do not like large doors. Usually something large is behind them.

LambdaCore018.jpg
    Like that! Fortunately he's not that large and a few shotgun blasts brings him down.

LambdaCore019.jpg
    Easy!

LambdaCore020.jpg
    "Hello, Gordon. I apologize I could not open the door until you had scoured the area. This is the last entrance to the lambda core. All the others are sealed off to contain the invasion. We scientists drew straws to figure out who would stay and wait for you. Obviously, I drew the short straw. They are waiting for you at the core. Its off now, but you can turn it on on your way up there. You will have to flood the reactor anyway to reach the teleporters. You aren't authorized to know about those, but you already know more than one man should. Anyway, whats the harm."
    Wait, wait, wait, what?! What is at the core? What teleporters? And who cares about authorization?!

LambdaCore021.jpg
    While you're at it, can you just up my authorization so I don't have to bother you guys to let me through doors?

LambdaCore022.jpg
    Convenient, especially after those big brutes. Not that they put up much of a fight against a pump shotgun. :)

LambdaCore023.jpg
    Test firing? Firing what? I did that once already in the blast pit..

LambdaCore024.jpg
    "Hi, you work in weapon research too? I built this gluon gun, but i can't stand to use it on a living creature. You, however, look like you have no problem killing things."
    Nope! Thanks for the new toy!

LambdaCore025.jpg
    Bzzt. :D Yes, sir, I like it!

LambdaCore026.jpg
    Coolant system. Guess that's my next stop if I'm going to flood the reactor.

LambdaCore027.jpg
    Great, more dead scientists. If it wasn't for Dan there by the door I would be wondering if any of Lambda team was still alive..

LambdaCore028.jpg
    Hmm, 1, or 2?

LambdaCore029.jpg
    Let's test out this new toy!

LambdaCore030.jpg
    VISIBLE LASER RADIATION
    AVOID EYE OR SKIN EXPOSURE TO
    DIRECT OR SCATTERED RADIATION
    CLASS 4 LASER
    I'll say!

LambdaCore031.jpg
    So, let's just go in order.

LambdaCore032.jpg
    Whoah, that was just odd! The whole place shook and warped a little bit there.

LambdaCore033.jpg
    Poor souls.

LambdaCore034.jpg
    Ow! Jerk! They're starting to gang up on me!

LambdaCore035.jpg
    To the pump station!

LambdaCore036.jpg
    Well, that was simple.. Too simple..

LambdaCore037.jpg
    Hey! Even better, two for the price of one!

LambdaCore038.jpg
    On to number 2!

LambdaCore039.jpg
    Figures.. Every time I get close something blocks my way.

LambdaCore040.jpg
    Or not, don't be fooled, you can get right through it! Awesome.

LambdaCore041.jpg
    Ahh! Stupid bees!

LambdaCore042.jpg
    Now that is just sad.. Poor guy was so close..

LambdaCore043.jpg
    And you things, get that ugly, blue tongue out of my face!

LambdaCore044.jpg
    More attempted blockages!

LambdaCore045.jpg
    Funny little headcrabs, this head isn't for you! I have pistol bullets for you!
    Is it just me, or is it fun to pick off these guys with the pistol?

LambdaCore046.jpg
    You couldn't flip that switch before you died, huh? I gotta do everything around here!

LambdaCore047.jpg
    Green across the board! Let's go!

LambdaCore049.jpg
    More choices.. Let's go maintenance first.

LambdaCore050.jpg
    Hey! How's it going? Want to come along? No, no, you won't die....

LambdaCore051.jpg
    "Don't delay, Mr. Freeman. Take the access pipe to the core and get to the labs."
    Ok, ok, sheesh. You could at least help me out a bit by flooding it yourself you know. Or perhaps leading the way and showing me where to go? No? Jerk.

LambdaCore052.jpg
    Always keep a shelving unit stocked with ammunition near your reactor cores. You never know when it will come in handy.

LambdaCore053.jpg
    I love it when they don't see me. Why?

LambdaCore054.jpg
    LambdaCore055.jpg
    LambdaCore056.jpg
    That's why. :D

LambdaCore057.jpg
    Crap! I tipped off his friend though when I vaporized him!

LambdaCore058.jpg
    Enjoy!

LambdaCore059.jpg
    Holy! Where and when did you get here!?

LambdaCore061.jpg
    Argh, stupid warping in aliens!

LambdaCore062.jpg
    Yeah, no so great now, are ya?

LambdaCore063.jpg
    Figures. I don't really think that accessing a reactor through it's coolant is such a good idea, but that's what the scientist said.

LambdaCore064.jpg
    You think?

LambdaCore065.jpg
    Who puts valves down here?!

LambdaCore067.jpg
    Whoah, that does not look friendly.

LambdaCore068.jpg
    Shoo! Go away!

LambdaCore069.jpg
    Ack!

LambdaCore070.jpg
    Level D? Hmm. Well, let's at least see what supplies are in the closet here.

LambdaCore071.jpg
    Elevator is out of service, but who needs it? I am super-scientist!

LambdaCore072.jpg
    Look at that, from D to B in no time.

LambdaCore073.jpg
    So, think you could help me out or you want to cower in here some more?

LambdaCore074.jpg
    Whoah! I haven't seen him in a long time! It's the guy in the blue suit! Hey! He just got vaporized!

LambdaCore076.jpg
    In case you want to turn ON the hazardous steam. I personally prefer to leave it off.

LambdaCore077.jpg
    They mean "No Access" too. It's locked. :(

LambdaCore078.jpg
    What is this?

LambdaCore079.jpg
    One yellow, one green. The blue suit guy walked into a yellow one and it vaporized him. Green one doesn't seem to do anything though. The yellow one, whoah! Hey, I'm at the green one! It's the teleporters the scientist by the door told me about! I gotta get to that teleporter the blue suit went through!

LambdaCore080.jpg
    After I unleash my own barrage of bees on these guys. My unfortunate guard friend was not so lucky, however.

LambdaCore081.jpg
    Locked..

LambdaCore082.jpg
    Locked.. Oi..

LambdaCore084.jpg
    Open!

LambdaCore085.jpg
    What?! Crazy!

LambdaCore086.jpg
    At least if I fall I can go up this ladder down here.

LambdaCore087.jpg
    Yellow and green. I somehow doubt that the yellow here goes to that green.

LambdaCore088.jpg
    Wow, I need to warp around to find my way to another area?! This should be interesting. Well, let's try port 2!
    Which leads me to the next level up! Port 6?

LambdaCore089.jpg
    Well, that was pointless..

LambdaCore090.jpg
    Port 3? Ooh, time to stock up!

LambdaCore091.jpg
    Port 1? Lots of headcrabs! At least I'm making some progress.

LambdaCore092.jpg
    Hey! This is the teleporter that the blue suit went through! Let's go!

LambdaCore093.jpg
    Wait, what?! This is going to get annoying.. Well, let's try port 2 again, and try one of the other teleporters on that level.
    I probably went through port 2 a few times before I realized that different ports were not just openings to the same teleporter, but different teleporters.
    I then spent the next half-hour or so working my way through these, trying to figure out how to get the to top level. Whenever I hit the top teleporter I would miss the platform and end up on the same one I jumped from, making me think it was the same level, not the one above. I was seriously confused for quite a while. LOL
    I smacked myself when I realized what I was doing wrong.

LambdaCore094.jpg
    Ok, wait for port 2. That takes you up to the next level.

LambdaCore095.jpg
    Let's try port 4!

LambdaCore096.jpg
    Hey! Scientists! Were you waiting for me?

LambdaCore097.jpg
    "I'm sure someone will come rescue us soon."
    Hello! I'm right here, Gordon Freeman, ever heard of me?!

LambdaCore098.jpg
    "Do you remember the emergency survival training?"
    "No, do you?"
    "Nope."
    Hey! Come one! Someone talk to me! Forget you guys..

LambdaCore100.jpg
    I can see a new level! I just can't get to it!

LambdaCore101.jpg
    So, back to the beginning..

LambdaCore102.jpg
    I want to get to that one!

LambdaCore105.jpg
    Aha! Level C! Progress!

LambdaCore106.jpg
    Wait, I want to get up there? I was already in Level B! I'm further away now!

LambdaCore107.jpg
    Ok, I have bad feeling I need to access this room and navigate those crazy platforms..

LambdaCore108.jpg
    Too obvious? Outside of health, though, it leads nowhere.

LambdaCore109.jpg
    More progress! I'm at the top level! Should I go for port 7?

LambdaCore110.jpg
    Perhaps port 8?

LambdaCore111.jpg
    Port 9 looks dangerous, there's red sparks blocking it.

LambdaCore112.jpg
    Ha! I was right! Wait, that's not really a good thing..

LambdaCore113.jpg
    Ok, if I ever meet the scientist who put this all together, I am going to shove this shotgun into his mouth and make him beg and plead. Then I'm going to make him promise never to design another facility ever again.

LambdaCore114.jpg
    Another 1 and 2. May as well go in order..

LambdaCore115.jpg
    Waiting for the "opportune moment".

LambdaCore116.jpg
    Pushed 1, now to push 2. Let's see what happens.

LambdaCore117.jpg
    Another teleporter!

LambdaCore118.jpg
    I swear, if this takes me back to the beginning of that tower of portals, I will be SO MAD!

LambdaCore119.jpg
    Well, I suppose this is better.

LambdaCore120.jpg
    A new set of teleporters! Joy!

LambdaCore122.jpg
    A? I'm in A?! Yes!

LambdaCore123.jpg
    A!

LambdaCore124.jpg
    Hey guys! Let me in! Ah! Don't shoot me! Whew..

LambdaCore126.jpg
    "Gordon Freeman, you finally found us."

LambdaCore125.jpg
    "So this is the guy. We thought you'd never make it."

LambdaCore126.jpg
    "This is the supply depot for our first survey team. Quite a few handsome specimans were collected from the borderworld and brought back this way - before the members of the team were collected themselves. We suspect there is an immense portal over there created by the single collective thought of an intense powerful creature. You will know it when you see it. I hate to say it though, but you will probably have to kill it if you can."

LambdaCore125.jpg
    "Yeah, you better kill it."

LambdaCore126.jpg
    "Of course, you owe us nothing, but you have come this far and know more about these creatures than we do."

LambdaCore125.jpg
    "If you don't do this, there won't be much to come back to."

LambdaCore126.jpg
    "If you are willing, a collegue of mine is waiting to open the door to the portal for you."

LambdaCore125.jpg
    "Don't forget to gear up!"

LambdaCore128.jpg
    "This is a long jump module. It will prove to be necessary in the borderworld. I hope you had some training with one? You should practice before you go."

LambdaCore129.jpg
    LambdaCore130.jpg
    Hello supplies!

LambdaCore131.jpg
    I get the feeling this will be the last time I see these for a while..

LambdaCore132.jpg
    Wow.

LambdaCore133.jpg
    Or, I could say forget it like everyone else in this facility and just run away.

LambdaCore134.jpg
    I've come this far, let's do this thing!

LambdaCore135.jpg
    LambdaCore136.jpg
    LambdaCore137.jpg
    What the heck is that!

LambdaCore138.jpg
    Ooh, pretty! And more of those flying aliens!

LambdaCore139.jpg
    Is it ready yet!?

LambdaCore140.jpg
    Sheesh, hurry up already.

LambdaCore141.jpg
    "Not yet Gordon, but get in position!"

LambdaCore143.jpg
    "Go, Gordon!"
    I did this section twice. Once I stood there and relied on my cheat to keep me alive so I could get good pictures of this thing starting up. The second time I played without my cheat and ran around in circles trying to stay alive while it was starting up. I only got hit twice while running around. :D

LambdaCore144.jpg
    LambdaCore145.jpg
    LambdaCore146.jpg
    LambdaCore147.jpg
    LambdaCore148.jpg
    LambdaCore149.jpg
    Whoah, trippy!

Xen001.jpg
    Xen. What have I gotten myself into?

Find out next time! What has Gordon gotten himself into!? Secrets will be revealed! (not really)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2007
    Good stuff..can't wait for Xen.

Gear Girl on
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought Xen was neat. Jumping puzzles = no fun, but it was definitely something different.

Yah, I found Xen fine until the final fight. That was just too frustrating for words. Since the first time I beat that crackbaby I have played through the game 2 more times, but I use noclilp and flymode and just blow him to bits on the 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. I don't know why I even bother doing that really. I guess I crave my one textline finale, heh.

Can't wait till that black mesa source is done. I am itching to play again, but I want to wait till that project is done.

I've never actually played all the way through blueshift or opposing force either. Wish someone would give them the source treatment as well.

Smudge on
    edited November 2007
    Since Xen and Gonarch's Lair are so small and devoid of any real story I'll probably do Xen tomorrow and Gonarch's Lair Friday. I'm working through Interloper now, but I don't think I'll have it done for Friday.

It's been, interesting, to say the least.. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok , its not that xen was bad... its that its "pacing" seemed off to me if that makes any sense , and both boss battles were annoying.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited November 2007
    Didn't really have any trouble with the boss battles..the mini headcrabs are a bit annoying but the end boss is easy once you get the pattern down..which takes all of 10 seconds.

Gear Girl on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smudge wrote: »

Yah, I found Xen fine until the final fight. That was just too frustrating for words. Since the first time I beat that crackbaby I have played through the game 2 more times, but I use noclilp and flymode and just blow him to bits on the 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. I don't know why I even bother doing that really. I guess I crave my one textline finale, heh.

Can't wait till that black mesa source is done. I am itching to play again, but I want to wait till that project is done.

I've never actually played all the way through blueshift or opposing force either. Wish someone would give them the source treatment as well.

I don't think that is going to be done anytime soon. According to their forums they're around 50% done and that took them three years.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2007
    Xen
    Xen001.jpg
    Xen. Gordon, what have you gotten yourself into?

Xen002.jpg
    Apparently, the laws of physics (and who knows what else!) that you are familiar with don't apply here. Despite there being gravity that doesn't affect these "islands".

Xen003.jpg
    RIP. Hopefully your sacrifice and research will benefit us all one day. Perhaps me, today.

Xen004.jpg
    My calm romp is starting to be interrupted by aliens warping in. Just a small fry for now, and I hope it stays that way.

Xen005.jpg
    I really have no idea where I'm going, but it seems like it's leading me down to the large platform below.

Xen006.jpg
    A look up gives me shivers down my spine as to the distance I've traveled with this jump-pack. The sheer possibilities for me to have fallen finally grips my mind.

Xen007.jpg
    It looks to only get more dangerous, as there is a platform below this one.

Xen008.jpg
    I find the first signs of vegetation on this devoid section of space. These little "light" plants seem sentient, and turn off and shrink when you get too close. The purple lights seem to release electricity if you approach as well. I will need to be cautious.

Xen009.jpg
    A larger area is on the other side of this platform. I really do not have an idea as to what this is all for, or how it got here.

Xen011.jpg
    A bubbling pool of some sort. It doesn't seem dangerous, but I won't tempt fate either.

Xen013.jpg
    I discover a small cave with a blocked opening. My trusty crowbar may prove to be invaluable in this world.

Xen014.jpg
    Pods grow out of a liquid covered floor. They don't seem to be aware of my presence, or hurt by my bullets. The liquid seems safe enough as well.

Xen015.jpg
    I find three of these posts around the room. I feel that they serve some purpose.

Xen016.jpg
    With a touch, the claws open. I'm not sure what else to do, but it feels like progress. I move on to the next ones.

Xen017.jpg
    Xen018.jpg
    Xen019.jpg
    This one opens just like the last. One more to go.

Xen020.jpg
    Xen021.jpg
    The third opens, and nothing happens. Frustration starts to set in when I notice movement to my left.

Xen022.jpg
    I see three objects fluttering like butterflies in the corner, trapped.
    I release them and they fly about, finally landing on the three pillars.

Xen023.jpg
    That's when it begins. What? I dunno. But something is happening.

Xen024.jpg
    Xen025.jpg
    Xen026.jpg
    Xen027.jpg
    Xen028.jpg
    They seem to have created some sort of device in the center of the room. Or just powered it. I want to say it's a teleporter, but what do I know of such things?

Xen028.jpg
    Having nowhere else to go, I step in.

Xen030.jpg
    Xen031.jpg
    Xen032.jpg
    Who? "Lair" does not sound good..

Just a small section today. Gonarch's lair is pretty small too, but I won't have the next section after that done by tomorrow, so it will be just that. I'm just happy I can give you guys updates in some sort of decent time frame. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just FYI, the blue pools heal you.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Just FYI, the blue pools heal you.

I was wondering if thats what it was. :)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MMANMMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Haha, you have an unhealthy obsession with making sure everything that can break is broken or that can explode is blown up...but then again..so do I.

I'm actually using a lot of restraint in this playthrough :P .

Power up! done: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/5753236

MMAN on
  • MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Interesting!

After looking at the Xen walkthrough, I realized that thing he powered up using the claw thingies were of similar design to the Combine power 'tubes' with the energy balls flowing up and down.

Cool little continuity thing...

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All this classic, boxy-polygon goodness has me tempted to pick up the PS2 version of HL1... is it good? I haven't been able to find a review of the PS2 version, though I fear it may have horrid controls...

Also, is it just me or are there several possible paths through the beginning of the game?

Curly_Brace on
    edited November 2007
    All this classic, boxy-polygon goodness has me tempted to pick up the PS2 version of HL1... is it good? I haven't been able to find a review of the PS2 version, though I fear it may have horrid controls...

Also, is it just me or are there several possible paths through the beginning of the game?

It comes with Half-Life: Decay the third expansion so that is a bonus..no idea about the controls and everything..I'd personally want to play it on PC and there is a team porting Decay over to the PC so I'll wait for that I think.

Only one path I think, you might have to be more specific as to where you are talking about.

Gear Girl on
  • NuravarNuravar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It comes with Half-Life: Decay the third expansion so that is a bonus..no idea about the controls and everything..I'd personally want to play it on PC and there is a team porting Decay over to the PC so I'll wait for that I think.

Only one path I think, you might have to be more specific as to where you are talking about.
    I'm not 100% sure about the main game, but I played Decay recently and can comfirm it lets you use USB keyboard and mouse. So anyway, I would assume you could play PS2 HL with KBAM too.

Nuravar on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why even bother with PS2? The PC version functions perfectly fine. Plus you get all the awesome mods.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • NuravarNuravar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well I bought the PS2 version for Decay and I know about the mod team trying to bring it to the PC but who knows if that will pan out. I think the real answer here is to get it for Decay and then Steam the rest.

Nuravar on
    edited November 2007

Why even bother with PS2? The PC version functions perfectly fine. Plus you get all the awesome mods.

Because, alas, I have a Mac and I'm not gonna go spend $2000 on a kick-ass PC to play HL, HL2, etc. I am, however, very tempted to save up for a 360, if only to play the Orange Box.

I played HL2 on a friend's PC, and the first bit of HL Hi-Res on the same friend's PC. I am a game moocher, what can I say?

EDIT: I remember I was working on killing the giant alien-plant-thing with the rocket engine when I stopped playing. And a lot of the stuff in this LP up until that point is oddly unfamiliar. Or maybe the OP is side-tracking a bit to show us some cool bits in the game!

Curly_Brace on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Because, alas, I have a Mac and I'm not gonna go spend $2000 on a kick-ass PC to play HL, HL2, etc. I am, however, very tempted to save up for a 360, if only to play the Orange Box.

Without wanting to dive into the "lol cheap" aspect (I'm not) but for Orange Box, et al, sans monitor, you should be able to get a computer capable of playing them for ~500 or so.

Jragghen on
    edited November 2007
    Excuse my incredible ignorance of anything to do with macs but would you not be able to get things up and running with bootcamp?

Gear Girl on
    edited November 2007
    Excuse my incredible ignorance of anything to do with macs but would you not be able to get things up and running with bootcamp?

Bootcamp? Eh? *Looks at the Mac site* Oh man this better work well, 'cause my Dad just got Leopard for me yesterday, and if Bootcamp doesn't make my machine run really slow, then we're in business and Orange Box fun awaits me! Hurrah! Gonna need some more RAM, though.

BTW, for you all y'all to know, Bootcamp is a feature of OS X Leopard, it apparently lets you run 32-bit XP and/or Vista on a Mac machine.

We shall soon see if this works! :D

Curly_Brace on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You might want to check to see if your mac has any kind of 3d card before purchasing HL2. HL1 it can no doubt handle.

august on
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »
    You might want to check to see if your mac has any kind of 3d card before purchasing HL2. HL1 it can no doubt handle.

Well I've played WoW on this computer, no problem... so I assume I have a 3D card...
    "About This Mac" tells me I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 card, which despite having a web-page about it, I am not sure if it a 3D card persay.

Thanks y'all for your help, by the way. But anything to allow another gaming soul to enjoy thining with portals, yeah?

Curly_Brace on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well I've played WoW on this computer, no problem... so I assume I have a 3D card...
    "About This Mac" tells me I have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 card, which despite having a web-page about it, I am not sure if it a 3D card persay.

Thanks y'all for your help, by the way. But anything to allow another gaming soul to enjoy thining with portals, yeah?

That should be enough for HL2, if memory serves (although I don't know if bootcamp acts as an emulator or just as a proper dual-boot program). I'm not sure how much requirements scale up for episodes 1 and 2 (and therefore portal and TF2), though.

Edit: Found a quote about that card: "Made Half-Life 2 reasonably playable on a notebook - quite a noteworthy accomplishment."

So HL2 should be playable, presumably at mid-to-low settings. I wouldn't hold my breath for EPs 1 and 2, though.

Jragghen on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Bootcamp is just a front-end for dual booting which means you'll need a copy of XP, and it will run natively. Sounds like you have a first gen macbook pro, HL2 should run awesome with at least 1-2 gb of ram. EP2/Portal/TF2 are more demanding but should run fine if you tone down the settings.

There is a HL2 demo if you want to check!

Agentflit on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    To backtrack a bit, the PS2 port of Half-Life is awesome. It stands with Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast as one of the best PC to console ports in existence. Controls are good, graphics aren't shabby (and the models actually surpass the quality of the PC high definition pack), and you get Decay. Also, if you can track down a December 2002 copy of OPM and it's demo disc, you can play UpLink as well. The only caveat is the load times are obviously longer than what you would get on a modern PC.

Einhander on
    edited November 2007
    Gonarch's Lair
    GonarchsLair001.jpg
    I really don't like the sound of that. Is this the creature the scientist was referring to?

GonarchsLair002.jpg
    Another of the collection team. How long did Black Mesa know of this place?

GonarchsLair003.jpg
    Whoah! What the heck is that!

GonarchsLair004.jpg
    It saw me! Crap!

GonarchsLair005.jpg
    Regardless, it seems to be hurt by my grenades. A few hits and it turns away from me.

GonarchsLair006.jpg
    Wait, it's turning back around!

GonarchsLair007.jpg
    Have some more grenades!

GonarchsLair008.jpg
    Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!

GonarchsLair009.jpg
    I don't know if it put up those webs, but it sure is making short work taking them down.

GonarchsLair010.jpg
    GonarchsLair011.jpg
    Catch!

GonarchsLair012.jpg
    Hmm, it didn't seem to care. Guess I will just have to follow it for now.

GonarchsLair014.jpg
    There must have been another scientist here, I just picked up some more grenades. Looks like there's an opening ahead. Perhaps I will find where this thing is going.

GonarchsLair015.jpg
    Whoah, it's spitting out little crabs..

GonarchsLair016.jpg
    Seems that it doesn't like grenades now.

GonarchsLair017.jpg
    That sack is especially vulnerable. I'll have to make sure to have them explode underneath it.

GonarchsLair018.jpg
    Ack! Get it off my face!

GonarchsLair021.jpg
    Whoah! It's charging at me this time!

GonarchsLair022.jpg
    Whew.. I went through all of my grenades, but it's running away again. I guess this isn't the end yet..

GonarchsLair023.jpg
    I'll wait for it to stop moving. I don't want to waste any of my rockets..

GonarchsLair025.jpg
    Hmm, seems we are going underground this time.

GonarchsLair026.jpg
    Watch your step, Gordon! This floor is just a web! Have some rockets you alien freak!

GonarchsLair027.jpg
    Crap, I've fallen below and I'm out of rockets! Fortunately this gives me a clear shot of it's underside! Let's see how it likes this gun!

GonarchsLair028.jpg
    It's running in circles trying to get away now!

GonarchsLair029.jpg
    Die already!

GonarchsLair030.jpg
    The web is falling apart!

GonarchsLair031.jpg
    Oh yeah! Going down!

GonarchsLair032.jpg
    Hey! What's going on!?

GonarchsLair033.jpg
    Where am I?

GonarchsLair034.jpg
    Another teleporter, I guess. Where am I going this time?

GonarchsLair035.jpg
    Interloper? Seems my quest has not yet ended with the defeat of that thing..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2007
    Curly_Brace:
    I'm running HL (and HL2) on a laptop with 2GB of RAM and a nVidia Quaddro NVS 110. Needless to say it's not the best graphics in the world, but it's playable.

As far as me going to different areas in the LP? Not really. I've never played past the first section of HL before and decided that I wanted to play through it, and with the Orange Box release I figured I'll make it an LP as well. So what you are seeing is what someone would likely see/do when it's their first time through the game. The videos MMAN is putting together would probably show you more than I do, as he is more knowledgeable of the game and much more thorough.

Also, just want to put this out there.
    It's been a while since I've asked, but is there anything I can do to improve my LP? Something you guys would like to see or something? Or not see? Just want to keep the quality up and I realized today that I've been kinda rushing the posts a little and my comments aren't really the deepest or most insightful. Part of that is just the game doesn't seem to give you too much to work with as you explore and get from point A to point B. Some areas moreso than others.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Or go the used PC route. I have seen computers VERY capable of playing HL2 and Orange box go for under $300 with monitor on craigslist.

HL2 does not have very high system specs, and it degrades very nicely. The biggest improvement to the game in the expansions is HDL and that can be turned off without any big hit to the visuals.

My computer is about 3 years old, and it wasn't top of the line then and I still can play modern pc games fine. Bioshock, HL1 & 2, quakewars... The PC tech curve is not nearly as nasty as it was a decade ago when 3d was newer. My 3 year old system can play games fine in 1600x1200 resolution as long as I turn off AA and AF. AA and AF are pretty much useless at that high of a resolution anyway.

Smudge on
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Also, just want to put this out there.
    It's been a while since I've asked, but is there anything I can do to improve my LP? Something you guys would like to see or something? Or not see? Just want to keep the quality up and I realized today that I've been kinda rushing the posts a little and my comments aren't really the deepest or most insightful. Part of that is just the game doesn't seem to give you too much to work with as you explore and get from point A to point B. Some areas moreso than others.

I actually can't think of anything wrong with your LP. This and the STALKER LP have been the most entertaining ones I have read.

Hybrid on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. Having not played HL in a while, this is great!

Are you planning to do one for Opposing Force? I think you should. Just make sure you do the tutorial.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited November 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah. Having not played HL in a while, this is great!

Are you planning to do one for Opposing Force? I think you should. Just make sure you do the tutorial.

Thanks Hybrid and Athenor!

Athenor, my plans unless someone beats me to it, are to do the following games/LPs:
    Opposing Force
    Blue Shift
    Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Granted, that could take a VERY long time to finally finish them all, but I'm getting into playing games again a bit right now, and I've been wanting to play HL2 but my continuity minded self wants to play all of the HL1 stuff first.

I'm debating on maybe doing a video LP like MMAN is doing simply because it would remove the need for me to pause and get screenshots and I could play normally in the future. I'm not sure what software to use for that though or if that would be a good idea either. Personally, I enjoy screenshot LPs (Read through the SS2, and currently keeping up with the STALKER, Indiana Jones, Chrono Cross, and Silent Hill 2) and commenting later on screenshots is probably easier than trying to provide a real-time commentary while playing. So for right now I'm sticking with screenshots.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    noooo please play HL2 next! I want to play that game again but I don't have time for it. Watching you play it would be excellent.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg