As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Orange Box Gifting Thread

• superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    supersloth wrote: »
    supersloth - Half-Life 2
    supersloth - Episode 1

(Steam ID - elsupersloth / Steam Community ID - supersloth) (I wasn't sure which one was needed for this gifting thing.)

sorry, i know it's bad form to quote myself, but the OP hasn't been updated since the 13th so I figured everything not on this page might be getting skipped over.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Want: Episode 1

Steam ID : Nighthawk616

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, given it seems I've been overlooked twice for Half-Life 2 since my original groveling post, I'd like to restate that my sorry, scheming hide would like a copy. I know, I'm in no position to ask in the way I'm asking. It's just that I want some of that sweet, sweet Half-Life 2 action. :<

But the fact that groveling posts in this thread actually result in people getting to experience HL2 is a beautiful thing :D

Ninja Edit!

My request has been fulfilled by the generous öhsee, who I am now eternally indebted to. :D

Invoice Ninja on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My groveling hasn't helped a bit. :/ I know I'm asking the owners of Half-Life 2 who've purchased the Orange Box a huge favour, but I still would love me some Half-Life 2. Then, when I crack and get the Orange Box, I can gift it upon someone else, who will crack and get the Orange Box, who will gift it upon someone else, and so on.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    switzky21 - Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (WANT!)

Steam ID is alex21201

switzky21 on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd like either Half Life 2 or Episode 1, or both. Steam ID is Samphis

Samphis on
  • AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Before I gifted it to invoice, I tried tracking down 2-3 people. I couldn't get any replies, so I sent him a message, he replied fast, thus he got the gift. Sorry if I passed anyone over. Didn't mean it as disrespect, and I'm sure if we keep this bumped, someone else will see the thread and realize they bought the game, and can do the same.

Remember those that got a gift, and realized they must have orange box as well, you can gift your copies of games too :)

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was going to gift Half-Life 2 to my brother, except that I ended up just buying the entire Orange Box for him instead. So I have an HL2 gift to give out.

First to PM me gets it, I guess.

edit: and AggroChan is winnar. He gets a free, complementary trophy.

Zxerol on
    edited October 2007
    Ah well. Hopefully I'll have better luck the fourth time! :lol:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I had no idea what this thread was about till I bought the Orange Box so I now have HL2 to give away (I never bought nor played Eps1, hah) so I'm going to see if any of my RL friends want it (I doubt it though) so if I don't find one within a week or 2 I'll give it to one of you PA kids since I know it won't be wasted on you.

But yeah, cool idea, I'm kind of suprised people are giving them out so freely and that, it's really cool.. I doubt this would work too well on too many other forums.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited October 2007
    WILL SUCK DICK FOR EPISODE ONE!

Steam ID is alex21201

switzky21 on
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't played any of the Half-Life 2's, so if anyone is willing to gift them to me, much gratefulness.

Steam id: BigKev87

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BigKev, no problem mate I'll gift mine to ya

Trying to gift you now, but I need your e-mail address attached to your steam ID, PM me

Waka Laka on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Right, I've sent it out, you have fun with that.

Waka Laka on
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks again dude.

So yeah, no need to put me on any list.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
    edited October 2007
    My birthday was seriously like 3 days ago...

Can one of you wonderful peoples send me Episode 1?

switzky21 on
    edited October 2007
    Hmmm. Overlooked again. :P

Half-Life 2 (WANT)

Steam ID : Carcharodontosaurus

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Ooo. Sorry to spam the thread, but I can actually swap someone a The Ship guest pass for Episode One. I don't know if anyone is playing it anymore, but it's a neat little game.

ID is alex21201 , so PM me with your ID and I'll swap it for Episode 1.

switzky21 on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, if there are any generous souls left out there...

FDownes - Half-Life 2 (WANT)
    FDownes - Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (WANT)

I feel like such a cheap bastard. :P

Flay on
    edited November 2007
    Arise from your grave, noble beast, arise from your grave and live!

I know this topic is somewhat old*, but I can't help but feel that it shouldn't be allowed to die. Free gaming is at stake here people!

I still wants me some Half-Life 2, and I'd rather not be passed over this time. :P

*I checked the rules, and there doesn't appear to be any hard and fast statements vis a vis older threads and the making of post in them. Four days may be a while, but I felt it was still a reasonable time frame in which to attempt resurrection.

EDIT: I'd like to extend my sincere thanks to Stolls, who saw fit to grant me the joy of Half-Life 2. Thank you Stolls, you utter legend!

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Free game I thought. Those fools! Enabling people to give away their product free of charge. I'd be mad not to take advantage of their craziness!

Mr Fly, meet Mr Spider, he has a lovely parlour he'd like you to see.

So having received my free HL2 earlier in this thread I just now purchased an Orange Box of my very own. As such I have a gift HL2 to give away to the first person to post in reply.

Come on Kid, all the cool kids are doing it and the first hit is free...

Edit: Gone to Kate of Lokys

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a HL2 available for gifting, brand smoking new this day.

I'm at work atm, but if you want it, send me a PM, first comes first served and I'll gift it over when I get home in around 10 hours time or so

Junpei on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Want:

Episode 1

My Steam ID is KateLokys. I've never played Half-Life 2, aside from about five minutes of the demo - for a long time, I didn't have a computer capable of doing justice to it, and now that I finally do, I don't have $70 CDN to drop on a game. So, if someone could hook me up, I'd be deeply appreciative.

(And if my boyfriend did something nice like, say, get me the Orange Box for Christmas, I'd certainly be willing to pass on the love by giving my own HL2 and Ep1, unless he wanted to try to run them himself on my old computer).

Edit: HL2 GET. Thanks, Jam Warrior!

Kate of Lokys on
    edited November 2007
    Want:

Half-Life 2
    Episode 1

My Steam ID is KateLokys. I've never played Half-Life 2, aside from about five minutes of the demo - for a long time, I didn't have a computer capable of doing justice to it, and now that I finally do, I don't have $70 CDN to drop on a game. So, if someone could hook me up, I'd be deeply appreciative.

(And if my boyfriend did something nice like, say, get me the Orange Box for Christmas, I'd certainly be willing to pass on the love by giving my own HL2 and Ep1, unless he wanted to try to run them himself on my old computer).

It's your lucky day! PM me your email address and it's yours.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This gifting idea is ingenious. I couldn't really get ahold of the idea of why Valve was doing it at first, but I gifted Half-Life 2 to my friend who really doesn't play video games but has an Alienware laptop for college. He says "It isn't a game, it's a work of art."

I guess the strategy is to get people into Steam and other Valve games. He'll certainly want Episode 1 and so on.

Black Ice on
  • Guybrush TweephoodGuybrush Tweephood Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Hi, I know its a little late and they may be all gone, but I thought I'd ask if anybody still has Episode 1.
    Thankyou so much if anybody does XD

Guybrush Tweephood on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd still like Half Life 2 and maybe Episode 1. I have the Orange Box for 360, but that doesn't let me play with Garry's Mod.

Samphis on
    edited November 2007
    Okay, now it's time to get somewhat obnoxious. Stolls, in his infinite kindness, saw fit to grant me Half-Life 2. I have tasted the greatness of that game, I have immersed myself in the twisted world of the future, and it was good. But alas, I realise there is more than just Half-Life 2; there is a sequel. I will get the Orange Box only for Half-Life 2: Episode 2, but Portal and Team Fortress 2 are still truly incredible in their own right. But I cannot play Half-Life 2: Episode 2 without playing the game before it, namely Half-Life 2: Episode 1. I have already been granted a kindness in this thread. Now I ask for one more kindness; if someone could provide me with Half-Life 2: Episode 1, I'd be pathetically, deeply grateful.

Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (WANT)

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, now it's time to get somewhat obnoxious. Stolls, in his infinite kindness, saw fit to grant me Half-Life 2. I have tasted the greatness of that game, I have immersed myself in the twisted world of the future, and it was good. But alas, I realise there is more than just Half-Life 2; there is a sequel. I will get the Orange Box only for Half-Life 2: Episode 2, but Portal and Team Fortress 2 are still truly incredible in their own right. But I cannot play Half-Life 2: Episode 2 without playing the game before it, namely Half-Life 2: Episode 1. I have already been granted a kindness in this thread. Now I ask for one more kindness; if someone could provide me with Half-Life 2: Episode 1, I'd be pathetically, deeply grateful.

noo what are you doing you get half life two on the orange box AND episode one

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
    edited November 2007
    Bibble wrote: »

Indeed. you buy the Orange box now and you will get Ep1 and 2 and another Half Life 2 to give to someone and spread the insidious marketing. Hence the point of the thread.

I'd be very interested to see some numbers on the amount of people who receive a gift HL:2 and subsequently go on to purchase the Orange Box. It really was a freaking genius move.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Um, Orange box COMES with Episode 1! It's why everyone here has been gifting games in the first place!

Look, when you order Orange Box you get the following titles:

Half Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode 1
    Half-Life 2: Episode 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Portal

Now, IF you own either HL2 or Episode 1 already when you order Orange Box, you're allowed to gift those to someone else, which is what people have been doing in this thread. So in your case, because you've already got Half Life 2, you'll get an additional copy of HL2 which you can now gift to someone else.

Make sense now?

subedii on
    edited November 2007

Forgive me, for I know not what I dooooo...
    Indeed. you buy the Orange box now and you will get Ep1 and 2 and another Half Life 2 to give to someone and spread the insidious marketing. Hence the point of the thread.

Well don't I look silly. Silly like a silly man who didn't realise the Orange Box had more awesome in it than previously assumed.
    subedii wrote: »
    Um, Orange box COMES with Episode 1! It's why everyone here has been gifting games in the first place!

How odd. I thought it was just Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Team Fortress 2. My bad. :lol: I guess it's off to EB with me then...

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007

I'd be very interested to see some numbers on the amount of people who receive a gift HL:2 and subsequently go on to purchase the Orange Box. It really was a freaking genius move.

What's funny is that no other company would dare release a product for free, even as a viral marketing move, when they can still release it full price.

I dare say this has generated a lot of word of mouth publishing of HL2 to people who never would have gotten it otherwise.

The first taste is free... :lol:

subedii on
  • KaseKase Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Long time lurker first time poster here, thought id spread the love
    Half life 2 - sent!
    first one to send me a pm gets it

Kase on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    BigKev wrote: »
    Thanks again dude.

So yeah, no need to put me on any list.

List?

Waka Laka on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, so what do we have here?
    A way to get things for free?

Actually, I just got the Orange Box so I now have a spare Half Life 2 going begging.
    PM me and I will reply in the morning (GMT).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Hmm, so what do we have here?
    A way to get things for free?

Actually, I just got the Orange Box so I now have a spare Half Life going begging.
    PM me and I will reply in the morning (GMT).

Orange Box does not come with Half-Life.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gifts:

None right now, but I expect to have a spare HL2: Deathmatch soon.

Wants:

Half-Life: Source
    Half-Life: Episode 2 (though I doubt anyone would, for any reason, have a spare)

EDIT: Steam name is drathlon

Silvoculous on
    edited November 2007
    Gifts:

None right now, but I expect to have a spare HL2: Deathmatch soon.

Wants:

Half-Life: Source
    Half-Life: Episode 2 (though I doubt anyone would, for any reason, have a spare)

EDIT: Steam name is drathlon

You can't gift HL: Source or Episode 2. The way it works is that people who already had HL2 or Episode 1 before they bought the Orange Box (which includes those two again), can gift the spare copies to another person. The rest of the games are still non-transferable.

subedii on
  • HorsecalledwarHorsecalledwar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey all,

Just picked up The Orange Box - happy to report - very satisfied so far. I've played about 4 hours of the campaign. I dig the adult themes. Feels like playing an interesting SCI-fi movie so far. I am not typically a fan of vehicular combat elements in a FPS (I feel I mostly put up with it), but so far, these elements are well done.

I also find the puzzles to this point in the game make contextual sense... i.e. I am not running and gunning and then have to stop to figure out a rubics cube.

Also the 360 achievement Revenge - was very fuckin satisfying! Looking forward to more game time this weekend -

Horsecalledwar on
    BALLS - Is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling of beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: You're next, fatty.'