As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Banpresto. D:

PataPata Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
http://au.games.ign.com/articles/833/833693p1.html?RSSwhen2007-11-08_070800&RSSid=833693

Darn it.

Bandai is dissolving Banpresto, having them focus on pachinko machines.
What the crap.

What's going to happen to Super Robot Wars now?

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
Pata on

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    don't you mean pachinko?

Edit: or is pankincho a real word made to fuck me up since it just looks like pachinko misspelled?

JJ on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Without Banpresto, how are we going to get Magna Carta 2 for the 360? How?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2007
    Pata wrote: »

It's okay, it's reached it's peak. Now Bandai can try making the games themsevles and run it into the ground.

Dareth Ram on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    Without Banpresto, how are we going to get Magna Carta 2 for the 360? How?

There IS a god.

etoychest on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

It's okay, it's reached it's peak. Now Bandai can try making the games themsevles and run it into the ground.

:(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't they make those neat Mario figures and stuff, too? :(

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

What the fuck

We need SRW OG3 still

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dear SRW guys: join up with the Namco side of Bandai and keep making awesome games.

Please.

SpeedySwaf on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, on epositive note, this could possibly increase our chances of getting SRW OGS and OGG over here, so that's something, as I think Namco Bandai is better about releasing overseas.

Matthew on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No Ar Tonelico III now.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    no more DBZ Supersonic Warriors? :(

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh wait, Cavia made the second one. safe.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    Cavia for the win! Love that company to death. Needs a Drakengard 3.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Didn't they do the summon night: swordcraft story games? I liked those :(

Edit - That being said, if this makes sure that no more Magna Carta games are made, TOTALLY WORTH IT.

LockeCole on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    .....WHAT?! But...But...Super Robot Wars! And...And other stuff too! Where else will I get to see Big Zengar and the invincible super robot SRX?!

WHERE, BANDAI?! AND DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE SAY "IN AN SRW THEMED PACHINKO MACHINE" YOU BASTARDS!

yalborap on
    edited November 2007
    uh

they could just get another developer to do SRW

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I see no bad news in there. are you guys reading the same news Item I am?

so Super robot wars is going to be released under namco bandai name instead of banpresto.. whats so horrible about that?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ar Tonelico was made by Banpresto? What?

This sucks, but I'm not a huge SRT fan or anything; and I see that as being the biggest loss.
    (The series sure isn't getting any localization beyond the two GBA games we got.)

And I could be wrong, but I think Banpresto just published Magna Carta; Softmax developed it.

Also, wouldn't that be Magna Carta '3'? Tears of Blood/Crimson Stigmata is a prequel to Phantom of Avalanche(or something).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Welp. Bad news for us :\

Houk the Namebringer on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's okay, you can* still bring us Ar Tonelico 2.

*will

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has Banpresto been publishing all of Gust's games, or just the Ar tonelico games?

cjeris on
    sig.gif
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Ar Tonelico was made by Banpresto? What?

This sucks, but I'm not a huge SRT fan or anything; and I see that as being the biggest loss.
    (The series sure isn't getting any localization beyond the two GBA games we got.)

And I could be wrong, but I think Banpresto just published Magna Carta; Softmax developed it.

Also, wouldn't that be Magna Carta '3'? Tears of Blood/Crimson Stigmata is a prequel to Phantom of Avalanche(or something).

Ar Tonelico was published by Banpresto in Japan. If there are no publishers for the series then they will not be made anymore. Here's hoping Namco-Bandai will still keep the series alive with Gust in developmental reigns.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm sure that Gust will find somebody else to publish their games. It can't be that hard. Ar Tonelico 3 will be made. It will. Because Gust will find somebody else. Yes. They will. My need for more Ar Tonelico gives me hope.

Gilder on
    edited November 2007
    I'd like to play the second before I start worrying about the third.

Houk's reverted to ninja mode, so can we be optimistic?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I'm sure glad I imported OGs when I did then. Now I must rush to Grab ACE3 and SRW W before they get rare!

......Does this mean OG Gaiden is done, then? It was shaping up to be nice, with the Daizengar default weapons, T-Link Double Blade Knuckle, And more COMPATIBLE KAISER. I feel especially bad for some fans as this has pretty much killed any chance of OGs being brought over here. seeing as they were waiting for OG Gaiden to get finished.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's okay, you can* still bring us Ar Tonelico 2.

*will

Ar Tonelico 2 is going to come out before Banpresto is dissolved, I think.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited November 2007
    It's already out, isn't it? The webpage was launched months ago.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it is. Came out October 25th. But no US release has been announced yet. I'm sure it'll be get a US release though.

Gilder on
    edited November 2007
    NIS do love publishing sequels.
    And I love them for it, of course.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2007
    I meant the US release.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Was anyone from Banpresto who was actually responsible for making SRW games fired, or do they all(or at least most of them) just now work for Bandai Namco instead? The news item in the OP has no specifics, and I need specific information about this.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm sure that Gust will find somebody else to publish their games. It can't be that hard. Ar Tonelico 3 will be made. It will. Because Gust will find somebody else. Yes. They will. My need for more Ar Tonelico gives me hope.
    Unless, of course, Banpresto/Bandai Namco holds the rights to it.

And I'm sure you all know I can't comment one way or the other about a game if an official statement has been made, so you won't be getting shit from me, suckas!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I'm sure glad I imported OGs when I did then. Now I must rush to Grab ACE3 and SRW W before they get rare!

......Does this mean OG Gaiden is done, then? It was shaping up to be nice, with the Daizengar default weapons, T-Link Double Blade Knuckle, And more COMPATIBLE KAISER. I feel especially bad for some fans as this has pretty much killed any chance of OGs being brought over here. seeing as they were waiting for OG Gaiden to get finished.

Well, the news item says this takes effect April 1, and OGG is supposed to come out this December. So it should still be released, unless there's a delay. Which, knowing Banpresto, there could well be. Hopefully, though, even if it is delayed, Bandai Namco will still be releasing it, just under their name now. I mean, it's a top selling mascot brand. To kill it would just lose them money, right?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    Note that they're not actually firing anybody... and that Bandai already owned Banpresto anyway. All it really is is some restructuring and probably a retirement of the Bandpresto name from the video game world. There might be some differences on the business side of things, but it's not like the Ar Tonelico or SRW developers are suddenly fired, or even have their checks coming from a different place.

Aroduc on
    edited November 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Note that they're not actually firing anybody... and that Bandai already owned Banpresto anyway. All it really is is some restructuring and probably a retirement of the Bandpresto name from the video game world. There might be some differences on the business side of things, but it's not like the Ar Tonelico or SRW developers are suddenly fired, or even have their checks coming from a different place.
    The biggest for us being that, with all the licenses going back into the Namco fold, we almost certainly won't be localizing any more games from them. So, pretty much the same for gamers but kinda sucky for us.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is Ar Tonelico 2 any better than the first one? 'Cause the first one was pretty painful.

Note to developers: If you're going to make a character driven game, try to not make the characters unlikeable whiny emo bitches, thanks.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    The biggest for us being that, with all the licenses going back into the Namco fold, we almost certainly won't be localizing any more games from them. So, pretty much the same for gamers but kinda sucky for us.

Sucky for us too, if Bandai Namco doesn't have the good sense to localize the kind of things NISA has been bringing! I want my obscure jrpg fix dammit, with the Japanese voice track thank you.

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's Super Robot Wars?

rayofash on
    edited November 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Is Ar Tonelico 2 any better than the first one? 'Cause the first one was pretty painful.

Note to developers: If you're going to make a character driven game, try to not make the characters unlikeable whiny emo bitches, thanks.

The webpage showed some new elements that looked interesting.

I liked the gameplay of AT1, even if it was ridiculously easy. If the second actually adds some challenge, it'll be much better.

A bit more open-endedness in the relationship system would be nice, too.

You can't really do anything wrong with the girls in AT1.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No Ar Tonelico III now.

D:

Fuck.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088