As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate 3: witty title under construction

• YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game has the greatest opening ever.

YardGnome on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    manny madness can go take a long walk off a short pier. :x It seems like I can't keep the speed up enough to jump across to the 2nd box. I can hit the 1st manual relatively consistently now, and get a good angle for hitting the 2nd one, but I never jump high/far enough...

jimb213 on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    This game has the greatest opening ever.
    I love that White Stripes song.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, so the game fucking bugged on me when I found a new spot. It never registered and I've "owned" it a couple times and it's still not on my mini map. I have since found all the rest and fear I wont get the achievement. I weep for this reason.

defaultprophet on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rob and Big's challenge can go fuck itself.

So can P-Rods.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rob and Big's challenge can go fuck itself.

So can P-Rods.

Once you can do the 360 Flip on at least a fairly regular basis it's not too bad.

And the P-Rod challenge is just about the timing. You jump too early you miss the rail. You jump too late you don't get enough air.

Manny Madness is way worse than either of those. Fuck that. I wish Manny Madness was a person so i could stab him with my wheel-less skateboard truck.

defaultprophet on
    edited November 2007
    Once you can do the 360 Flip on at least a fairly regular basis it's not too bad.

I can do a 360 flip at any point in time except after pushing towards that fucking bench.

And even if I do it, 24/25 the board catches on part of the bench instead of me landing on it.

And that 1/25 time I don't get the proper grind. Shit, the part where they start you at, you can only do BS grinds in regular, so I have to move to the other side of the bench.

The P-Rod thing is retarded because it's freaking impossible to get enough air to do a 360 rotation without missing the hubba entirely.

DarkPrimus on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I can do a 360 flip at any point in time except after pushing towards that fucking bench.

And even if I do it, 24/25 the board catches on part of the bench instead of me landing on it.

And that 1/25 time I don't get the proper grind. Shit, the part where they start you at, you can only do BS grinds in regular, so I have to move to the other side of the bench.

The P-Rod thing is retarded because it's freaking impossible to get enough air to do a 360 rotation without missing the hubba entirely.

2 things:
    1 it might be cheap, but see if you can just ollie onto the bench, set a marker, then flip->stall (which counts as a grind). Maybe for some people it worked but for me it never did to adjust into the correct grind.

2: it's not a 360 degree rotation in addition to the trick. It's an actual 360 Nollie flip (or whatever). Old thread had some good advice and cake's method was the best (IE it worked for me). Take the stick and move it to the right side of the "A" button (X for you PS3 players), then move it to the right side of the "X" button (Square) before flicking it back down. That seems to give you the proper input range for that particular trick.

EDIT: In other news, I've been tweeking around in WMM some more. I'm actually starting to like what it can do.
    I can do this type of intro with an overlay or I can squish the video to one side (or half) of the screen while your chosen info is displayed in the other half.

Just let me know what you want and PM me the links to any videos you want saved/edited for the vid.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • J_LJ_L Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i know this hippy flip is very flakey, and my foot does actually manage to go through the railing, but i thought i'd share it anyway
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/3490/posts/583793.aspx
    I'm gona keep working at it and see if i can do it right

J_L on
    Got A Penny?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EvE: Vetitum/Venitum
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Manny Madness can, indeed, die in a fire. That caused me no end of frustration.

For P-Rod's nollie 360-flip, what Nocen said, it's a nollie 360-flip, not a 360 nollie-flip. It's still a pain to get though, but did force me to learn that trick.

Rob and Big's 360-flip to FS crooked isn't that bad once you understand it. Firstly, make sure you're coming in frontside. I started coming in with my back to the ledge, and it wasn't giving me it. Have your front facing it, and you'll be good. Secondly, aim for the middle of the bench where it's lowest. Thirdly, you don't have to land in a crooked, and you can adjust into it. I did it by landing in a nosegrind then pushing the stick to adjust into a crooked.

And yes, it is one of the best intros to any game.

edit: And to anyone having trouble pulling any trick, go watch Jason Dill's video in the 'Extras' section of the main menu. Do it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I did a short clip just to show I'm not slackin'

http://jpgrdnr.servehttp.com/wang.wmv

I'll try and do something better later on.

japh on
    edited November 2007
    Nice quality there! Use anything special for converting or editing?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nope. The "youtube flv to avi converter pro" prog does the job. Microsoft movie maker for the rest. Movie maker isn't all that great, but just for quick and dirty stuff its ok. I'll probably use imovie in the future.

japh on
    edited November 2007
    Well fair enough. I'll see how I go with WMM, but I have access to Pinnacle on another pc here, which has to be better.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    the only problem I have with WMM is that after a while it starts to look like an animated Powerpoint.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    A Line At The Old Town

I don't know why it looks so shitty after uploaded to YouTube... if I do a compilation video, I will probably have to torrent it or something.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    I got fixated on this marble thing at the Art Museum. The spin going into it looks like shit, but I like how the grinds flow.

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/34979/posts/587245.aspx

defaultprophet on
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, that is a beautifully long ledge.

My take of that spot.

DarkPrimus on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ugh, so the game fucking bugged on me when I found a new spot. It never registered and I've "owned" it a couple times and it's still not on my mini map. I have since found all the rest and fear I wont get the achievement. I weep for this reason.

I got the same thing, at "big ass wall". I've owned it, got the achievement, but it still doesn't show up on my map.

xzzy on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    P-Rod's challenge made my blood boil. Then something clicked, and now I can do it at will.

Manny Madness was very tough, but it wasn't as angering as the P-Rod challenge because I felt like I was always on the edge of completing it, and just needed one more try. Of course it ended up being more like 100 more tries, but it never seemed impossible.

Rob and Big's challenge is where I quit the game. I haven't been able to hit it and just got bored of the whole thing.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I was able to trudge through p-rod and madness, but by the time I got to Rob and Big I was sick of an hour of attempts just to perform a specific trick.

The flickit system is pretty awesome, but for doing specific tricks on demand it's horrible. Chains of specific tricks? Fuck that.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    I finally got manny madness! It was weird... I was just screwing it up over and over like always, and then bam - as soon as I landed on the first box, I knew I got it. Now I'm working on the Xgames stuff. how do I get a higher score on the mega ramp? do I have to do a flip to get a high enough score? Landing a flip is pretty much luck for me... heck, starting a flip is usually an accident...

jimb213 on
    edited November 2007
    You don't have to do front/back flips. Usually doing a bunch of spins is enough. Do a double kickflip 540 off the initial jump or something to that effect, then the same off the huge halfpipe. Goal is to get the x3 multiplier first, then spaz out on the second jump.

The game seems to value rotating pretty highly and will always get you a ton of points.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    yeah, I was doing a 720 grab over the big jump, then a 900 some-other-grab up the halfpipe, but still would only get 2nd place.

jimb213 on
    edited November 2007
    jimb213 wrote: »
    yeah, I was doing a 720 grab over the big jump, then a 900 some-other-grab up the halfpipe, but still would only get 2nd place.

Just rotate the right stick while you're grabbing too, to go through different tweaks.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jimb213 wrote: »

the key is to do some more difficult grabs, like mute, stales and the like.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I loved the demo of this game, but I really dont think I've got enough time to invest in it to be any good. Maybe sometime next year

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I loved the demo of this game, but I really dont think I've got enough time to invest in it to be any good. Maybe sometime next year

You really are missing out on the "sleeper hit" of the year.

One of the better games of the years, and EA came out of nowhere with it.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't say out of nowhere, as a large number of us here were looking forward to it for a good while, but yeah, it is one of the better games in years and the best sports game I've ever played.

YardGnome on
    edited November 2007
    I feel bad.

I traded this game in...
    To pay for Mario Galaxy, glee.

I'm likely to buy it again after Christmas sometime.

Don't hit me.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    *Punch*

YardGnome on
    edited November 2007
    Not in the face!

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Shim... because of that we might have to cut your part from the vid.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Could we just cut him instead.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    Well, his location is Gulf Coast... that narrows it down to like 4 or 5 locations on earth...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    That's cool Nocren.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Aaand I finally figured out what my problem was -- Vista x64. No AVI would import into Windows Movie Maker without showing up as an audio file so I took drastic measures and borrowed my Mum's laptop. Everything imported fine there and I got my first video tacked together just more as an experiment than anything. (And because I'm proud of the body varial through the hole.)

So, enjoy. And ignore the mis-timed audio.

I've got about 9 more videos to take before my LoD video will be sufficently awesome, so that might take a bit.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited November 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    I wouldn't say out of nowhere, as a large number of us here were looking forward to it for a good while, but yeah, it is one of the better games in years and the best sports game I've ever played.

It was only when I heard about the controls that I took a real interest in it. Before that, I had it as a THPS clone with a different roster of skaters.

Shim, you're dead to me.

Spork, you're the new Shim. I mean congratulations!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Hooray! Can I wear his skin too?

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited November 2007
    If you haven't started already, go for it!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png