As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero 3. GH Aerosmith to be the stupidest thing you buy this year.

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Wii version is impossible to find where I live, so I had to settle for the PS2.

SirUltimos on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blowflu wrote: »
    EDIT: Fuck, the Wii version is only in Mono?! Time to return it for the 360 version...

If you're not noticing it, who the hell cares?

I do, since that explains the awful scratching noise I've been hearing the whole time I've been playing. That sound like you're playing music on slightly blown speakers.

This just in, mono sound now blows your speakers and rapes your mother......

You do realise what mono means right?

Blake T on
  • BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    EDIT: Fuck, the Wii version is only in Mono?! Time to return it for the 360 version...

If you're not noticing it, who the hell cares?

I do, since that explains the awful scratching noise I've been hearing the whole time I've been playing. That sound like you're playing music on slightly blown speakers.

This just in, mono sound now blows your speakers and rapes your mother......

You do realise what mono means right?

Mono is what it says: all the sound being mixed and sent through a single channel

Stereo is 2 or more audio channels

I have my T.V. sound set to stereo with stereo speakers. I changed the setting on the T.V. to mono and voila! No more static! Since I have a stereo setup and a 360, I'll probably go that route then. I bought the Wii version b/c it was $10 cheaper, and lord knows how much money we'll all be spending on games this holiday season.

Blowflu on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In the last thread someone posted something from Activision saying they were aware of the problem and a patch for the Wii version is in the works. I'm not sure when it's due out, but it's coming.

elevature on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, guitarhero.com is not interfacing with scores right now. Tonight I've been increasing my scores and checking the site to see if it has been loading.

Up until about 2 hours ago, it had been uploading my scores within 15 seconds of my completing them on Career Mode.

The last time, 2 hours ago, that I beat a song, it didn't show up on the site. I've played a few more since, but they're not there either.

Oh well. I'll check it again tomorrow. I just want to be damn sure my best scores are getting posted! :P

slash000 on
  • GeeeeeoffGeeeeeoff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How can people be knocking the first two tiers of Guitar Hero 3?

Slow Ride, Talk Dirty to Me, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Rock and Roll all Nite, Mississippi Queen, School's Out, Sunshine of Your Love, Barracuda, and Bulls on Parade are all kick ass classic tunes.

You guys suck. The only one I REALLY don't like in the first two tiers is Story of My Life, because it's really long and boring.

Geeeeeoff on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I find most of those songs very boring to play.

but then again, I've never liked the first to tiers in any version, just because I fall asleep playing it.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Geeeeeoff wrote: »
    How can people be knocking the first two tiers of Guitar Hero 3?

Slow Ride, Talk Dirty to Me, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Rock and Roll all Nite, Mississippi Queen, School's Out, Sunshine of Your Love, Barracuda, and Bulls on Parade are all kick ass classic tunes.

You guys suck. The only one I REALLY don't like in the first two tiers is Story of My Life, because it's really long and boring.

God I am so sick of this.

All of these songs are GREAT songs.

All of these songs however are NOT all GREAT GUITAR songs. (school's out for summer is a pretty fine tune)

Almost all of the songs in GH2 I didn't know as well as the songs in GH3 I've enjoyed them far more because they are FUN SONGS TO PLAY.

Blake T on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In other news: I've made it 80% of the way through Fire and Flames. I will prevail.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
    edited November 2007
    Well I guess I have fun playing songs I know and like... I suppose it's a difference of opinion. I guess it might have something to do with the fact that I'm bad enough at the game to be challenged by the first two tiers on Hard.

Geeeeeoff on
    edited November 2007
    Holding the green note and mashing the strum bar for baracuda is not my idea of fun.

Blake T on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Then I get to Raining Blood, one of the songs I was most excited about playing. And then I get to the 4-note sweeps that go on for a half a day. Why couldn't they have just made the song another Misourlu @ that point and go with how the song IS ACTUALLY PLAYED ON THE GUITAR (fucking fast as hell strumming).

Really? It looked allright to me(but I can't play guitar, so whatever).

Once, while I was playing that shitknot song, my friend(who can play guitar) said "...the hell? those aren't..., you, you could play this shit with two fingers!"

So I have to wonder-Why? correct me if I'm wrong, but shitknot isn't that popular. so why bother intentionally screwing up the chart so it's hard enough to be in the game?

for that matter, why focus on the hardcore community? Wouldn't an easier, party kind of game sell more?

glithert on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Newsflash: Guitar Hero was never accurate to how the song is played. It's how the song sounds that they try to replicate with the note charts.

Monoxide on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really love the song selection in this game, but my only complaint is really that it is too hard. I mean, in the other games I made it through hard with a bit of work, and then most of expert. Now, I can't see myself making it through hard at all. I'm just completely and utterly stuck on Queens of the Stone Age and Slipknot on hard. I can at least see myself getting good enough to pass QotSA at some point, but I quite honestly cannot at all see myself ever being able to beat the Slipknot song. Even if I make it through that maddening opening I'm usually so beat to hell that I'm done not too long after.

Wahoo! Someone else in EXACTLY the same place as me. I just cheated and unlocked all the songs so I can play the game multiplayer when friends come round. Unlike GH2 I don't have any inclination to practice and get much better to beat these songs. I'm holding out till Rockband now.

How far through the songs can you get? I hit about 80% of QOTSA and 50% of slipknot

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holding the green note and mashing the strum bar for baracuda is not my idea of fun.

You could try strumming instead of mashing. It's a nifty riff.

Strato on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for making the new thread, Gert! I have no problems with you handling the OP, honestly, but if you don't want to hassle with updating it periodically (not that there are really going to be major updates anymore, though), I can restart another thread. No big, though we should have the compatibility chart:

guitarcharthelfnew2vg2.jpg
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Newsflash: Guitar Hero was never accurate to how the song is played. It's how the song sounds that they try to replicate with the note charts.

There definitely is a sense of difficulty inflation on the Expert level, though. On a lot of songs Hard is truer to how the song both sounds and plays; Expert is just made artificially difficult. E.g., in the Mosh section of Raining Blood, to me it sounds like all those runs are triplets. Changing them into four-note runs is just ScoreHero wankery. And most of the three-note-chord switches in songs like Before I Forget and the Disturbed tune are just awkward.

I can play through the songs just fine, and I'm normally the type of rhythm gamer that likes more difficulty ... but it's really not being applied well, IMO.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I really love the song selection in this game, but my only complaint is really that it is too hard. I mean, in the other games I made it through hard with a bit of work, and then most of expert. Now, I can't see myself making it through hard at all. I'm just completely and utterly stuck on Queens of the Stone Age and Slipknot on hard. I can at least see myself getting good enough to pass QotSA at some point, but I quite honestly cannot at all see myself ever being able to beat the Slipknot song. Even if I make it through that maddening opening I'm usually so beat to hell that I'm done not too long after.

Wahoo! Someone else in EXACTLY the same place as me. I just cheated and unlocked all the songs so I can play the game multiplayer when friends come round. Unlike GH2 I don't have any inclination to practice and get much better to beat these songs. I'm holding out till Rockband now.

How far through the songs can you get? I hit about 80% of QOTSA and 50% of slipknot

Most of the time I can only get through like 10-15% of Sipknot, though I think one time I got up to 25-30%. For QOTSA most of thet ime it's about 30-40%, I think.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yeah that Queens of the Stone Age song is a bitch on hard... I got mad at it and decided to 5-star some songs on Medium. (Including 3's and 7's for revenge!!)

Geeeeeoff on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, I've been HINTING STRONGLY to the girlfriend that I want GH3 for Christmas, so she's asking me which one to get, where to find it, etc. The thing is, the 360 version seems to be AWOL. I looked in stores this weekend, and there were stacks of the guitar/game combos for every console except the 360. So I started looking online, and it seems to be universal that every retailer is short or out. Amazon actually jacked the price to $140! WTF?

On a related note, I walked into my local Gamestop last week. They had signs and posters everywhere for GH3 and a special area just for the doodads (overpriced garbage) related to the game. Of course, when I asked if they actually had a copy I got the drone of the slave "Did you preorder it?" I was so mad I didn't even answer him, and if I could have slammed the door on my way out I would have.

El Guaco on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Learning how to alt-strum these galloping triplets (groups of three notes) isn't too hard and will help you immensely in this, Raining Blood and a bunch of other tunes. I did it by going into practice mode and starting at a slow pace: Work with a "down-up-down, PAUSE, up-down-up, PAUSE" motion, which feels really awkward at first, but you'll get used to the timing.

I had to do this for about 20 minutes to pump up my Raining Blood score; I'm still within a few thousands points of 5-starring it on Expert!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Learning how to alt-strum these galloping triplets (groups of three notes) isn't too hard and will help you immensely in this, Raining Blood and a bunch of other tunes. I did it by going into practice mode and starting at a slow pace: Work with a "down-up-down, PAUSE, up-down-up, PAUSE" motion, which feels really awkward at first, but you'll get used to the timing.

I had to do this for about 20 minutes to pump up my Raining Blood score; I'm still within a few thousands points of 5-starring it on Expert!

Also, the strum window is so open that you can usually find a rhythm and just alt-strum without a break and get them all.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »

Also, the strum window is so open that you can usually find a rhythm and just alt-strum without a break and get them all.

This is what I did in Raining Blood (it's a bit slower in Barracuda) until I one time I realized that I could just do it the right way. Once I finally beat RB, that mental barrier that had been there disappeared, and I found I could beat the song pretty easily. Now, I just have to be able to get through the first two hard sections without using star power so that I can get a 5-star score (then I will have 5-starred all of the expert non-bonus songs!).

Ballman on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The loose HOPO system in this game is ruining my ability to play them normally. I fiddled with the Rock Band demo and was horrified at how badly i bungled HOPOs. Once I realized what I was doing and started being more careful I did OK, but I was still having a harder time than I used to with them.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a question since I haven't been able to check it out yet:

How many finishes do the included guitars have on average? Still three? Or are there more options?
    Anybody?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

How many finishes do the included guitars have on average? Still three? Or are there more options?
    Anybody?

yeah im not sure about how many, but i can tell you the finish sucks.

i don't abuse my electronics or games, and the pumpkins faceplate already has scratches on it. needless to say, im quite pissed about it.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited November 2007

Anybody?

It varies by guitar, i think some of them have more, but 3 seems to be roughly average, just going from memory.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arcath wrote: »

Anybody?

yeah im not sure about how many, but i can tell you the finish sucks.

i don't abuse my electronics or games, and the pumpkins faceplate already has scratches on it. needless to say, im quite pissed about it.
    I meant in the game...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited November 2007
    As far as the actual physical faceplates.. They were selling that Sex Pistols faceplate at best buy for 1 penny, and nobody was buying. I think the black looks fine, and I'm not ready to proclaim my allegiance to any of the sub-par bands the faceplates were available for.

Smashing Pumpkins? Yeah, fuck yourself Billy Corgan. I enjoy playing cherrub rock, but your ego doesn't get one more voluntary penny from me.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    meh, minus darcy and james, it doesn't feel like pumpkins. But I like the new album and art for the cover so I bought the faceplate.

And i got the free sex pistols faceplate just to repaint when i get bored.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    I want a faceplate in the roseburst goddess finish style from GH2

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. I was kind of surprised that they didn't include the in-game finishes for the faceplates. Then again, I guess the whole idea is that you are a "legend," and maybe the faceplate thing was a way to keep the cost of the songs down.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited November 2007
    I'll just stick with the black then.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007

Anybody?

I think some of them have up to 5 finishes, while others have none.

Geeeeeoff on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, what's the dollar cost per song with the DLC for this game? Somewhere around $2 per song it seems?

How much is it for Rock Band DLC? I've already got a PS2 guitar and I'm not sure how much I want to spend an extra $30 or $40 for the 360 version.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2007
    GH3 is 7 bucks for 3 songs.

Rock Band is still unknown, rumored to be lower, I think.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, so what the fuck Neversoft?

The 100 million career achievement. Even across all four difficulties, your bonus songs don't count toward your career score. I've five-starred all of Medium, on my way to 100%ing all of Easy (and most of Medium as well), five-starred all but two songs on Expert, and beaten everything except Raining Blood on Expert. My total is coming close to 40 million or so.

100 million doesn't even seem mathematically possible.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2007
    Multiple bands?

EDIT: Oh. Multiplayer. You can do every difficulty over and score almost twice as much since you add all the bass notes. Shit, if you totally fucking rocked, you could almost get the 100m with the multiplayer alone.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Erandus wrote: »
    Multiple bands?

EDIT: Oh. Multiplayer. You can do every difficulty over and score almost twice as much since you add all the bass notes. Shit, if you totally fucking rocked, you could almost get the 100m with the multiplayer alone.

Then fuck Neversoft (and all other game developers) for putting way too much priority on multiplayer achievements.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2007
    I really never plan on playing the game online, so yeah, I feel the same way. There's a shitload of achievements I'll never end up with cause I really just don't feel like playing their shitty battle mode or really any sort of non co-op mode.

I like to play these games to rock WITH people, not rock MORE than people and then break my guitar over their head and take a shit on their shoes. Come to think of it, this is probably why I don't really play any games on Live.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, so what the fuck Neversoft?

The 100 million career achievement. Even across all four difficulties, your bonus songs don't count toward your career score. I've five-starred all of Medium, on my way to 100%ing all of Easy (and most of Medium as well), five-starred all but two songs on Expert, and beaten everything except Raining Blood on Expert. My total is coming close to 40 million or so.

100 million doesn't even seem mathematically possible.

I thought it was 100 million campaign points, which is different than your career total. You can play the same song a thousand times and if it totals 100 million, you'll get the achievement. It isn't possible to get a 100 million career score, since you'd need 2.56 million points or more on each of the 39 main setlist songs (42 minus 3 bosses).

It's like the 250,000 notes played achievement, which is cumulative, not 250,000 notes across your best playthrough of each of the songs.

Monoxide on