As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero 3. GH Aerosmith to be the stupidest thing you buy this year.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Earn 100,000,000 total in Career.

That's the exact description. If it's the way you actually you said it, that's a relief, and proof that they need to choose their wording better.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Ok, so what the fuck Neversoft?

The 100 million career achievement. Even across all four difficulties, your bonus songs don't count toward your career score. I've five-starred all of Medium, on my way to 100%ing all of Easy (and most of Medium as well), five-starred all but two songs on Expert, and beaten everything except Raining Blood on Expert. My total is coming close to 40 million or so.

100 million doesn't even seem mathematically possible.

I thought it was 100 million campaign points, which is different than your career total. You can play the same song a thousand times and if it totals 100 million, you'll get the achievement. It isn't possible to get a 100 million career score, since you'd need 2.56 million points or more on each of the 39 main setlist songs (42 minus 3 bosses).

It's like the 250,000 notes played achievement, which is cumulative, not 250,000 notes across your best playthrough of each of the songs.

Yeah but you can use the same band to gain single player and multiplayer career points. That means you can effectively more than double-up by playing multiplayer. If it was just 100 mill points earned over the course of the playing the game, I would figure that by the time he had reached 40m points total career score, he would have re-played enough songs enough times trying to 5* or 100% them that he should have cleared the 100m easily. Every song 3 times at a 5*ish level would have cleared 120m points.

EDIT: Tracking thread from the Gamestop forums. This is your current career score, and not the total points you've earned ever. Co-op does count toward it.

EDIT Again: I'm retarded, replaying songs counts, right there in the OP.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide is right. Go to your leaderboards, go to single player, and then it has the following:

Career - Easy
    Career - Medium
    Career - Hard
    Career - Expert
    Campaign

So it's campaign. And I'm at about 30,000,000, I was off by 10. But it's good to know that I won't have to work to 100% songs I hate playing (I'm lookin' at you, Kool Thing).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Erandus wrote: »
    Ok, so what the fuck Neversoft?

The 100 million career achievement. Even across all four difficulties, your bonus songs don't count toward your career score. I've five-starred all of Medium, on my way to 100%ing all of Easy (and most of Medium as well), five-starred all but two songs on Expert, and beaten everything except Raining Blood on Expert. My total is coming close to 40 million or so.

100 million doesn't even seem mathematically possible.

I thought it was 100 million campaign points, which is different than your career total. You can play the same song a thousand times and if it totals 100 million, you'll get the achievement. It isn't possible to get a 100 million career score, since you'd need 2.56 million points or more on each of the 39 main setlist songs (42 minus 3 bosses).

It's like the 250,000 notes played achievement, which is cumulative, not 250,000 notes across your best playthrough of each of the songs.

Yeah but you can use the same band to gain single player and multiplayer career points. That means you can effectively more than double-up by playing multiplayer. If it was just 100 mill points earned over the course of the playing the game, I would figure that by the time he had reached 40m points total career score, he would have re-played enough songs enough times trying to 5* or 100% them that he should have cleared the 100m easily. Every song 3 times at a 5*ish level would have cleared 120m points.

Hmm, maybe. WPI has 250 million total campaign points, but his career scores don't add up to 100m. I cant' find his gamertag to see if he got the achievement. Even the highest co-op and career scores on the scoreboards don't add up to 100m at the moment, so I'm having a hard time believing that they didn't mean 100m Campaign score.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I was wrong. Replays count toward your score.

Co-op does as well, though, anything played under your band name, basically. Co-op would be the way to go, I'd think, since you're basically scoring double on a lot of songs.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My parents picked this up for me for my birthday. It's pretty sweet. I played on my brothers 360 last night and owned the first boss, but it took me soo long today. Finally managed to finish him off. Now to try to get some work done on my research paper draft for Wed.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Newsflash: Guitar Hero was never accurate to how the song is played. It's how the song sounds that they try to replicate with the note charts.

we can both agree that artificial difficulty is still bad, right?

glithert on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Especially when they artifically made the game so difficult, they had to relax the note timing window and HOPO system to make the game playable for 90% of the population. Kick one leg out from under us and replace it with a crutch.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Especially when they artifically made the game so difficult, they had to relax the note timing window and HOPO system to make the game playable for 90% of the population. Kick one leg out from under us and replace it with a crutch.

This.

I can beat TtFaF on hard, but I don't feel good about it because I'm basically flailing the whole time. In previous Guitar Heroes I passed a song because I was able to play the notes. Here I feel like I'm not really playing it anymore.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    glithert wrote: »
    Newsflash: Guitar Hero was never accurate to how the song is played. It's how the song sounds that they try to replicate with the note charts.

we can both agree that artificial difficulty is still bad, right?

To an extent. Artificial difficulty that makes a song near impossible to complete is bad. Artificial difficulty that makes a song more fun to play isn't. Really, I've got nothing to complain about, as the game is ultimately easier than Guitar Hero II. At least, to me.

I mean, I've owned it for two weeks now and the only songs that gave me trouble were Slipknot for a few hours, One, Raining Blood, and Number of the Beast. On Expert. If the only songs to trip me up are in the final two tiers, the game isn't that hard overall. Some of the bonus tracks are unnecessarily confusing, but no one seems to be complaining about those.

I'll have Raining Blood and Number of the Beast down before Rock Band comes out, and Lou isn't even a concern with the whammy thing. NotB is just a matter of me not fucking up the rhythm and keeping star power, and Raining Blood is just Mosh 1. The few times I've gotten past Mosh 1, it's been a cakewalk until I missed a strum somewhere before a bunch of hopo and fucked myself. It's doable, for sure. That really just leaves TtFaF, and I'm not about to pretend I'm good enough to ever finish that on expert.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Especially when they artificially made the game so difficult, they had to relax the note timing window and HOPO system to make the game playable for 90% of the population. Kick one leg out from under us and replace it with a crutch.
    Boo, Hoo, my plastic guitar game isn't as hard core anymore.

You know it really irks me when people talk like this about the game. It's like you have some kind of entitlement, that the game should be harder just for you and if some one can't handle it they should just get the fuck out. "Artificial Difficulty" Is such a dumb term. The whole game is Artificially Difficult, and it always will, because its a game with 5 buttons trying to emulate playing a guitar that has 5 strings. GH3 is just Difficult, plain and simple.

I for one enjoy the new Hamer-on's and Pull-Offs, if only because I can do the damn rolling notes now. It doesn't feel like I'm fighting the painfully small window for HO/POs to stay alive in some songs, but instead that I'm fighting the super hard note charts the game has now. There isn't much of a difference that I've noticed between Hard and Expert on most songs anyway, the last set of songs are just brutally hard for me. But the last set of songs in 2 were brutally hard for me as well.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That really just leaves TtFaF, and I'm not about to pretend I'm good enough to ever finish that on expert.

No human being can.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    That really just leaves TtFaF, and I'm not about to pretend I'm good enough to ever finish that on expert.

No human being can.

Sure they can. If you cared enough about it, you could do it too. Most of the song isn't that hard, if you try it in practice, with the exception of a bunch of scattered difficult spots and mostly the intro. Double-finger tap the intro, learn the rest through lots of practice. It's doable, it's just really hard.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Etc, etc.

I enjoyed the game a lot more when the note chartes and HOPOs were both challenging and slightly more realistic.

Strumming wildly during HOPO strings and flailing all over the fret buttons during solos such as the end of "One" is fucking stupid. Playing the HOPO series in Jonas by holding down the note way before the note gets to the bottom of the screen is fucking stupid.

I dont expect my "plastic guitar to be hardcore", but I'd also like to not have to mash the strum bar and note buttons as fast as I can almost randomly to pass a song. You love it? Fine, I'm happy for you.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Especially when they artificially made the game so difficult, they had to relax the note timing window and HOPO system to make the game playable for 90% of the population. Kick one leg out from under us and replace it with a crutch.

You know it really irks me when people talk like this about the game. It's like you have some kind of entitlement, that the game should be harder just for you and if some one can't handle it they should just get the fuck out. "Artificial Difficulty" Is such a dumb term. The whole game is Artificially Difficult, and it always will, because its a game with 5 buttons trying to emulate playing a guitar that has 5 strings. GH3 is just Difficult, plain and simple.

I for one enjoy the new Hamer-on's and Pull-Offs, if only because I can do the damn rolling notes now. It doesn't feel like I'm fighting the painfully small window for HO/POs to stay alive in some songs, but instead that I'm fighting the super hard note charts the game has now. There isn't much of a difference that I've noticed between Hard and Expert on most songs anyway, the last set of songs are just brutally hard for me. But the last set of songs in 2 were brutally hard for me as well.

When you say "painfully small" HO/PO window, are you talking about GH1 or GH2? I felt GH2 had a much better balance of HO/POs that are playable but still challenging. You have to admit that the overall note-timing window in GH3 has been embiggened beyond belief. At least the game lets you use a precision cheat to tighten it up -- which I keep forgetting about and should flip on one day just when I'm screwing around. I've been toying with the ScoreHero tactic of "squeezing" extra points out of held notes by hitting them a little early on the intro to Raining Blood, and it's amazing how early you can hit notes if you're trying for it on purpose.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

No human being can.

I did.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

No human being can.

I did.

And thats why you are my new god.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

No human being can.

I did.

Clearly you're not human.

elevature on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really liked the play sounds thing for the cheats menu

they should expand on that in GH4 and make it a whole new feature

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

No.
    guitar hero 2 is difficult because it has a (more)realistic timing window and a (kinda)realistic method for charting chords. Then they found songs that were... actually hard to play.

guitar hero 3 is artificially difficult because the made normal chords into nigh-random 3 button ones and found songs that the scorehero guys would like to play. That's fine. I have nothing against scorehero.
    but that big timing window replaces precision with flailing most of the time, just because the songs are so hard.
    The only exception is TTFAF. it's much easier than jordan.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kudos to Neversoft: The bonus track "Down 'N Dirty" is one of the best note charts I've seen, it's comparable with Gemini in my mind.

Fuck Neversoft: Thanks for fucking up Foo Fighters, dickweeds.

Also, your game freezes when I leave it on the song selection screen for too long. Another certain developer never seemed to have this problem.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, your game freezes when I leave it on the song selection screen for too long. Another certain developer never seemed to have this problem.

Never had that problem before. How long did you leave it on and what version of the game (360, Ps3, etc)?

KVW on
  • Options
    chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KVW wrote: »

Never had that problem before. How long did you leave it on and what version of the game (360, Ps3, etc)?

360 does this, not only that but quite often if you pause the game in the middle or beginning of a song and leave it paused for a while then start it back up the game will start playing normally, but the music won't work. it will just start skipping. In general don't pause this game for more than a few seconds. if you are going to walk out of the room it's better to just bounce back to the main menu or even turn off the system.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    fucking GuitarHero.com

Last night, I was playing some songs and increasing my scores..

I get what is quite possibly a contender for overall top 30 score on a particular song.. and the Guitarhero.com goes down before my Wii uploads it..

and so when the site comes back on...

it won't take my score since I wasn't "online" when I achieved it..

I have no since been able to recapture that fucking score. DAMMIT.

slash000 on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can't get over how shiti-fied Red Octane's quality control is. First with the X-Plorer and the wanked whammy bar, and now I can't get this damn guitar's blue and orange buttons to stop being unresponsive. It's kind of hard to rack up a good score when your chords cut-off half the damn time. Or you strum a couple hundred notes while the blue button goes on the fritz in the middle of them.

Now on top of all that, my Xbox is having trouble signing my gamertag in. I'm hoping it's just a spike in Xbox Live or something.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Omeks wrote: »
    I can't get over how shiti-fied Red Octane's quality control is. First with the X-Plorer and the wanked whammy bar, and now I can't get this damn guitar's blue and orange buttons to stop being unresponsive. It's kind of hard to rack up a good score when your chords cut-off half the damn time. Or you strum a couple hundred notes while the blue button goes on the fritz in the middle of them.

Now on top of all that, my Xbox is having trouble signing my gamertag in. I'm hoping it's just a spike in Xbox Live or something.

At least yours is in fucking stereo.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Omeks wrote: »

Live is going down for maintenance tonight. Probably has something to do with that.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    GeeeeeoffGeeeeeoff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kudos to Neversoft: The bonus track "Down 'N Dirty" is one of the best note charts I've seen, it's comparable with Gemini in my mind.

Fuck Neversoft: Thanks for fucking up Foo Fighters, dickweeds.

Ha I think I'm gonna have to use my toes to hit that string of chords from Green/Red thru Green/Orange in The Pretender.

I've never had the game freeze on the song selection screen before...and I've left it there for long periods of time, multiple times. I've had a few freezes here and there in random spots, but no more than most other games.

Geeeeeoff on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So is there any list of planned song packs? I want to know if there will be any I want to spend my points on

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn, I was so close to getting the Fight the Power (200,000 on Cult of Personality, without using Star Power) achievement. Just about 3,000 short on Expert, time to go woodshed the solos some more.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Woot, I finally beat TTFAF on Expert yesterday. By far the funnest song in the game, and not just annoyingly difficult like Jordan. I love it!

midgetspy on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Woot, I finally beat TTFAF on Expert yesterday. By far the funnest song in the game, and not just annoyingly difficult like Jordan. I love it!

Okay, I'll ask you and Slash. How the hell did you get past the intro?!

I've tried using a capo on the green button, I've tried moving my picking hand up and tapping the blue and orange with it after picking the red. No matter what I try, I just can't keep it going through the entire thing, I can consistantly get to between 3 and 4 percent, but no more.

It's really starting to piss me off. I can blaze through the rest of the song (I average about 83-84% of notes and around 250,000 when I play friends at it in pro-face off), but the intro simply kicks me in the balls.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I've tried using a capo on the green button, I've tried moving my picking hand up and tapping the blue and orange with it after picking the red. No matter what I try, I just can't keep it going through the entire thing, I can consistantly get to between 3 and 4 percent, but no more.

It's really starting to piss me off. I can blaze through the rest of the song (I average about 84-84% of notes and around 250,000 when I play friends at it in pro-face off), but the intro simply kicks me in the balls.

Depending on how accurate your HOPO skills are, I find it easier to use both hands on the frets (left hand: first two, right hand: last three, or some variation thereof) and just strum the first note with my elbow, followed by tapping the proper buttons. Yeah, if you miss the first note you basically have to restart, but then again if you get it right, you FC the whole section, get the star power, and have a split second to flip back and do the short bridge into section 1.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    flammiebc wrote: »

It's really starting to piss me off. I can blaze through the rest of the song (I average about 84-84% of notes and around 250,000 when I play friends at it in pro-face off), but the intro simply kicks me in the balls.

Depending on how accurate your HOPO skills are, I find it easier to use both hands on the frets (left hand: first two, right hand: last three, or some variation thereof) and just strum the first note with my elbow, followed by tapping the proper buttons. Yeah, if you miss the first note you basically have to restart, but then again if you get it right, you FC the whole section, get the star power, and have a split second to flip back and do the short bridge into section 1.

And here's where I make an admission:

I used the power of rubber to get past the first section.

What do I mean by that, you ask?

Well, it was discussed in the last thread -- put a rubber band over the green fret button and then keep your hands on the other 4 buttons just for that intro part. Then take the rubber band off.

The rest of the song isn't as bad as that first part; with the exception of the parts surrounding and including Twin Solo.

But it's definitely not a complete waste of time like Jordan.

If you're keeping Green held, and you still fail, then what you're doing wrong is you're not removing your fingers off the other buttons quickly enough for it to properly register the Hammer On.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never been able to do proper two-hand tapping, even on that giant stretch of HO/POs in Laid to Rest that I always wanted to double-hand tap.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't even really see how 2 hand tapping works. Do you just use the other hand entirely for tapping only 1 fret button?

If that's the case, doesn't that mean you're really only using that other hand just for the orange button?

I don't get it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't even really see how 2 hand tapping works. Do you just use the other hand entirely for tapping only 1 fret button?

If that's the case, doesn't that mean you're really only using that other hand just for the orange button?

I don't get it.

That or two fingers, since then you're not relying on your pinky, which isn't the most dexterous of fingers. Mine is practically useless, to be honest. It's more natural for me to roll or slide my middle finger than it is to use my pinky, and I really wish it wasn't. Probably because of how rarely I use it compared to the rest of the fingers on my hand.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone else had trouble even finding a copy of the Wii version?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

There are stacks of them on the shelves here.

Stacks.

(Well, a couple stacks. I think Wal-Mart had like 9 copies and Target had like 8, as of yesterday.)

Yeah, I know, I'm a dick.

And holy shit, I didn't believe it, but apparently Wiis are a pain in the ass to find again...I swear I was consistently seeing them on shelves just a couple weeks ago...I guess it's the holiday season getting ready to start.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

There are stacks of them on the shelves here.

Stacks.

(Well, a couple stacks. I think Wal-Mart had like 9 copies and Target had like 8, as of yesterday.)

Yeah, I know, I'm a dick.

And holy shit, I didn't believe it, but apparently Wiis are a pain in the ass to find again...I swear I was consistently seeing them on shelves just a couple weeks ago...I guess it's the holiday season getting ready to start.

I swear, I'm half ready to just get someone living where they have copies to ship one to me.
    It's rediculous that they have stacks of the PS2 and 360 versions here, and not a single copy of the Wii version in sight.

TubularLuggage on