As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Landmark] is gone and all we have are memories (and screenshots)

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I will deffinately fire it up when it launches if nothing else its a pretty neat create your own dungeon/dev kit thing to putz around with.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Might need to start playing again. It was fun building game with all the voxelmancy stuff, I think things got easier later. I really need to learn everything anew though.

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    The beta is officially over, and the servers are down for pre-launch maintenance!

Here's the launch patch notes:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-7-june-2016.57252/

Notable additions: Ability to change your character's apperance in game, and two new story nodes, Damage and Focus.

Potential pitfalls on launch day to avoid:
    1. DO NOT delete your character! Any items granted at launch (like founder's perks or other real-money purchases you made during beta) will be LOST FOREVER if you delete your character. If you don't like the apperance you chose, you can change it in-game now, so do not delete your character under any circumstances!
    2. You will be given a claim on what is called a Pioneer Landscape when you first start. It is a perfectly flat Landscape, in constrast to regular landscapes which have mountains, hills, caves, etc. The claim you start out with is currently your ONE AND ONLY chance to have a claim on a perfectly flat landscape. If you delete this starter claim, you cannot make another claim on a Pioneer Landscape and will have to go to a regular Landscape instead. This isn't necessarily a problem, since most people want to build on regular Landscapes anyway, but if you like the idea of a flat claim, then do not delete your starting claim!

I'll update this list if anything else comes up during Headstart. I'll be starting as soon as possible (tomorrow at 10AM Pacific!) and I'll share any insights from my experience here. I expect a perhaps not-completely-smooth headstart, but hopefully they'll quickly address anything that comes up before the official launch on the 10th.

I can't wait to start playing for real! Everything we accomplish will finally be permanent! I'm so excited! :)

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm sure I'm overlooking it, but where is the download for the early access? I don't see it in any emails or on the site under my account. Do they still use that Station launcher that all the games go through?

vamen wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm overlooking it, but where is the download for the early access? I don't see it in any emails or on the site under my account. Do they still use that Station launcher that all the games go through?

If you have the launcher you used for the beta, that still works. The only place I could find a download link was hidden at the bottom of this page:

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

and ONLY after logging into my account. It's a tiny link and it still stays beta, but I just finished reinstalling the game from scratch and that's the link I used, it works just fine despite the label.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

If you have the launcher you used for the beta, that still works. The only place I could find a download link was hidden at the bottom of this page:

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

and ONLY after logging into my account. It's a tiny link and it still stays beta, but I just finished reinstalling the game from scratch and that's the link I used, it works just fine despite the label.

Yep, I was indeed overlooking that tiny link. Thanks!
    I haven't played literally since the very first day of alpha so my launcher is long gone =)

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Have to remember to patch this tonight.

kaid wrote: »
    Have to remember to patch this tonight.

Actually maybe not. As it turns out, they ARE going to release a fresh client for the launch date (just not in time for headstart I guess? a few people had issues so maybe that's why).

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-launches-at-12pm-noon-pdt-on-june-10.57308/

Full text of announcement:

"We are kicking the flood gates open at 12PM (Noon) Pacific Time* on Friday, June 10, 2016!

As we prepare to unlock the game for everyone, we will need to perform a short downtime on our website. The site will be down starting at approximately 11AM PDT and will remain down until 12PM (Noon) PDT. Due to this downtime, players will not be able to access the Marketplace or the Gallery in and/or out of game.

We recommend that, after the website has come back online, players download a fresh client and not attempt to run the game from the Landmark Beta launcher in order to avoid possible confusion or issues. Also, please do NOT repeatedly attempt to launch the LaunchPad or spam click the “Play” button, as those may cause issues with your game client launching.

Where can I get a fresh client?

www.landmarkthegame.com. You’ll need to log in to the website with an account that has access to Landmark. If you don’t have Landmark, you’ll see a “Buy Now” button at the top of the page. If you do have Landmark, that will change to “Download Now.” Click it, and you’re good to go!

In addition, in the footer, you’ll see three sections: Landmark, Community, and Showcase. If you’re logged in, under “Landmark,” you’ll see the “Download” option.

You MUST be logged in on the website AND have the game already purchased on your account, or the download link will not appear!"

Bug fix patch today! Looks like they're fixing a lot of the miscellaneous things that cropped up after launch:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-june-16-2016.57451/

Highlights:
    • Timer Node: The duration can now be set in 1 second increments
    • Timer Node: When the Timer Node completes, only the “When this Timer completes…” Event will trigger (even if it is set to loop). The "When this Timer Resets…” event will now only trigger when it explicitly receives the Action Link to “…Reset the timer.”
    • Damage Node: You can now specify whether you want a Damage Node to affect all Luminaries, all creatures, or both when Linking to a Linking Area
    • The Starting Location prop now has a directional arrow to show which way the arriving player will face. You can rotate the prop to make sure it’s facing the direction you want
    • Chat window can now be set to not fade out! Use the new slider options “Chat Window Focus Opacity” and “Chat Window Fade Out Opacity” under “Game Options > Social”. The Focus Opacity value defines opacity when the window is in focus. Fade Out is the same but for when the window fades out.
    • Looking for the perfect emote? Use the /emotelist command to list out everything available into your chat window
    • Many performance and crash issues resolved, including some issues owners of hex core machines were experiencing. If you have a hex core machine but are still experiencing long load times, please be sure to let us know in this thread! We have definitely addressed some of the issues but there may be more remaining.

Even better, there's a comment by a dev later in that thread:
    "We're going to be exposing checkboxes that allow you to disable functionality like grappling hook on your claim, as well as flying character and free camera modes (allowed by default, disabled by checkbox)."

I really hope those performance fixes resolve the issues I was having. For those not in the loop, the issue was this: they finally optimized the game for lower-end systems, but in the process somehow screwed it up for people with higher end systems. If you have more than 4 cores, it would sometimes crash while teleporting. I was able to do a workaround and get it to behave itself by disabling hyperthreading, but hopefully this latest fix will resolve it and I can turn it back on (not that I have any idea what hyperthreading is really doing for me.......I actually haven't noticed any performance changes in any of the games I play).

This has been a rocky launch for sure. This patch makes me feel a little better and gives me hope that the game will be in good shape soon. Frankly I think they launched too early and should have waited another month. I think they backed themselves into a corner by announcing they would launch "in the spring" and then just kind of had to pull the trigger. Even with the problems, though, I've been playing almost every day and having a good time. So far I've mostly been adventuring and collecting materials, and also making my first claim into an area for doing dailies (kill X monsters kinda thing, so I made a system that spawns them in waves, it's really nice for testing different weapon types and stuff, too).

Also so far there's only 2 people in the guild. If you are playing Landmark and want to join, let me know your character name and I'll try to catch you with an invite while you're online. I still have secret dreams of a group built guild hall, so really hoping more people get into this.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How is the population for Landmark? I got the trailblazer early access and played a bunch but I always worried about how many people were actually playing.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    How is the population for Landmark? I got the trailblazer early access and played a bunch but I always worried about how many people were actually playing.

Small but enthusiastic. General chat is always lively with people asking questions, looking for groups for adventures, or advertising for their guilds or build sites. So far I haven't had a problem finding random people to play with, and when I advertise my site in chat, someone usually shows up to check it out.

It's more like an extremely large Minecraft server than like a regular MMO, which is probably fine. The people who are good at building are REALLY good at it. I'm not that great at building but I hope to be good at making adventures, even if the dungeons I make aren't as fancy-looking.

Also, with the upcoming ability to turn off grappling hook access, I plan to make some sweet jumping puzzles. :) I'm thinking of combining the lava texture with the fire emitter and the damage node for a floor that really IS lava....

So what is the name of the guild? I am Stragint in game.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    What he said, but instead I'm called MrVyngaard, because it's catchy.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    So what is the name of the guild? I am Stragint in game.

The guild is called Arcadian Architects. I sent you a friend request and a guild invite, but not sure how it works when you're offline.

To see your friends list, hit the people-looking button in the upper left, or it's bound to K by default.

To see your guild panel, hit the big Landmark-symbol menu button in the upper left, and Guild is the first option, or it's bound to N by default (G was taken by a building command, and I guess N was available? No idea.)

If you don't see the invites, let me know.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I spent $20 on getting the early access thing and now its telling me I need to spend another $10? Am I missing something?

Shawnasee wrote: »
    I spent $20 on getting the early access thing and now its telling me I need to spend another $10? Am I missing something?

Are you logged in? Did you buy it on Steam or from them?

Played a bunch today. I think I did all the tutorial stuff. I farmed a ton of materials and made the dark heavy armor and weapon, lightning medium armor and weapon, and I started with the water heavy armor and weapon.

I have yet to actually build anything on my plot which ended up being in a big underground cavern. I can definitely work with that.

I ran through a bunch of the dungeons and got a bunch of random stuff. Do the crystals cap out per day on how often I get an item when I complete the dungeon? After a while I noticed I stopped getting a reward.

I am honestly not really sure how to go about in the game. The game is a lot easier for gathering materials now and not needing a 5 or 6 different stations for refining or crafting is great but the limitations that seem to be in place for building now is slightly frustrating. I really want to do a massive sphere made out of obsidian that functions as a kind of player dungeon but it seems like I cannot make a sphere large enough to facilitate that.

Gathering other crafting/building patterns at random is also a little frustrating. I got a pretty good amount of them while goofing off and gathering stuff but I it would be great if specific biomes had specific things. Maybe they do and I just need to google it.

Essence could also be a little more plentiful. I used lumins to buy the last 4 of the shadow and lightning essence I needed. Still did not make amulets or bracers for any set because of the essence.

I am logged into my Steam account and it shows the game in my library but the only button is the Purchase one. And searching through my email box under Daybreak, Landmark or Steam only comes up with a $25.00 purchase, which I think was for the extra flags.

What's weird is that I was able to log in during early access...

I am logged into my Steam account and it shows the game in my library but the only button is the Purchase one. And searching through my email box under Daybreak, Landmark or Steam only comes up with a $25.00 purchase, which I think was for the extra flags.

Are you sure you bought into the beta, and didn't get a free key? People with free beta keys didn't get the game for free.

Which package do you think you purchased?

So what am I supposed to use lumens on?

So what am I supposed to use lumens on?

Lumens are for account upgrades, or when you're impatient/trying to avoid RNG. Account upgrades include inventory space, bank space, and design template space. Impatient is for buying a bunch of materials that you don't feel like farming. And avoiding RNG is for recipes: if there's a recipe you really want and you don't want to deal with RNG you can just get it with lumens. Like I got some weapon recipes for weapons I really wanted to try.

Are you sure you bought into the beta, and didn't get a free key? People with free beta keys didn't get the game for free.

Which package do you think you purchased?

When I was able to log into the early access I had a founders pick. And going back through my posts in this thread it looks like I spent $20 to get in and the $25 on extra claim flags...might have to contact support.

So the only thing there is really to do in Landmark for now is to run the random dungeons that are apparently bugged and build stuff?

Just wanna make sure I did not miss anything cool before I start actually trying to build stuff.

So the only thing there is really to do in Landmark for now is to run the random dungeons that are apparently bugged and build stuff?

Just wanna make sure I did not miss anything cool before I start actually trying to build stuff.

Well, there's also playing other people's adventures. I highly recommend "Attack on Ebonguard Castle", which is the best scripted adventure I've played through so far.

But sure, go ahead and build. :)

Patch today with some really nice stuff in it:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-30-june-2016.57596/

Highlights:
    • By default, visitors to your claim can do do voxel destruction (like they would be able to on an outpost to get through a wall or whatever, and like any terrain destruction it'll heal in 20 minutes). You can turn this off in the new Advanced Build Settings.
    • The new Advanced Build Settings also let you turn off players being able to use grappling hooks, movement abilities from boots, and free camera mode. Hello jumping puzzles!
    • The Logic Filter is now easier to use and has shiny lights on it instead of internal hidden "cogs". It'll be way easier now to diagnose logic problems.
    • There is a new counting node that lets you increment and decrement a counter and use that in linking things! You can't display the counter to visitors but they're working on a scoreboard prop that will let you do exactly that.
    • The "Go to Underground Adventure" button will now telport you to ANY Chaos Cavern, instead of just ones on your current world. This means you can go from a Pioneer Landscape now, and it also means you're less likely to get put back on one you just did. I'm excited for this because it means I'll start seeing new ones!

The other big thing is in this update is the Fantasy Appearance Pack. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. It's their first cash shop offering since launch. First, I think it's weird that they're charging money for this instead of Lumens. I feel like lumens should be what most things cost, because you can earn them in game if you're patient or buy them with cash if you're not. That seems fine to me. But this is just cash money, no way to earn it. Also, it bugs me a bit that they're introducing cash shop stuff so soon after a launch that was frankly premature and came with all kinds of serious bugs. I still have hyperthreading disabled as a workaround for the loading crash issue being experienced by people with 6 and 8 core processors. I know they're working on it, but this isn't a beta any more and it shouldn't feel like one. I want them to get the game in good, stable shape before they go asking for more money, and I feel like this was just too soon. I love the game, and it's tons of fun, and I'm really looking forward to the new functionality this patch brought in. But the level of polish I would expect from a release version just isn't quite there. I hope the bug fixes in this patch are the ones I've been looking for.

edited July 2016
    I try not to post here too often since I know interest in this game is on the low side, but there was an update recently that seemed worth mentioning:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/game-update-july-28-2016.57751/

There's a lot of good stuff in there about new story tools, the addition of cosmetic pets (bunnies!), and so forth, but the thing that has everyone super excited is the new area tool stuff.

So, the Area Tool is what already let you select an area and then have things happen when a player or NPC left or entered the area. But now they have exciting new functionality:
    • You can set an Area to have destructible terrain separately from your claim-wide setting. So if you have terrain destruction off for the claim, you can make just one wall or just one floor destructible to allow for things like secret rooms that the player has to discover by blowing them up with dynamite. You could also go the opposite way and make *everything* destructible by default except for a few protected areas. As with everything, all destruction is temporary (heals after ~20 minutes).
    • You can use an event to trigger an area to be destroyed or restored using the linking and triggering system. This means you can have a wall that disappears when a boss dies, or a bridge that appears when you solve a puzzle.

People are going nuts over this, including me--it changes everything and opens up a whole world of possibilities for making cool stuff happen. I'm already revising my plans for my mushoom kingdom and rainbow tower adventures. :)

Also, I updated the OP to reflect that launch was awhile ago and added some more helpful information about what exactly it is you do in Landmark. This includes a short guide to what's possible as a creator, including the new terrain destruction options and other story tools added in this patch. At some point I want to add some screenshots or even videos of adventures (there's some cool stuff out there).

I can't help but think that this game would have had a more successful launch if it hadn't been overshadowed by the cancellation of EQN. If this game had been a standalone from the start, it wouldn't be haunted by the ghost of EQN and its legions of disappointed and angry fans. Landmark is such a neat concept with so many amazing possibilities, and it's disheartening that it will probably always be held by back by the bad press of its origins. The tools in the game are amazing and they're still working on more, as this latest patch can attest. I have plans to create some stuff that I hope will be really cool.....and I hope that someday there are more people around to see it.

Kylindra on
    So I guess Landmark servers are closing.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    *Pops the cork on a bottle and slowly pours it out*

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Darn shame.

No Next and now Landmark fades away soon too.

Quite probably the last time we'll see anything new from the EQ brand. I can always hope that ain't the case. I consider EQ, along with UO, to be among the grand fathers of the MMO genre.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I would not be shocked to hear in the future that Daybreak sells the EQ IP to keep the lights on awhile longer.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    So what IPs would that leave Daybreak owning? Surely they must have some kind of revenue stream to remain solvent right?

26904.png
    I'm really sad about this but not at all surprised. I had been expecting them to carry on a little while longer, but I got a hint that this was coming when there stopped being development builds on the bug tracker (I was submitting yet another bug report, and the version dropdown usually has development builds listed....but suddenly none for a month). Before that, they were coming out with new features and fixing things pretty consistently.

Before it shuts down, I'm going to make a video showing the one really cool build I finally did--a Halloween maze. I used pretty much every interesting feature that Landmark had to offer:
    • Random event nodes so that the maze isn't the same every time
    • Destroying/healing terrain in response to events in order to add/remove walls
    • NPC pathing and dialogue (you can get hints from a couple maze denizens)
    • Tons of props, both static decor and emitters (fog, bats, lights)
    • A zillion logic nodes and "if" nodes
    • Game-generated rewards (treasure chests with the same type of loot as the ones in caves)

It turned out really great and it's the only build in Landmark I ever really "finished", so I want a record for posterity. I'll post the video here when it's done.

Stupid wrote: »
    So what IPs would that leave Daybreak owning? Surely they must have some kind of revenue stream to remain solvent right?

Pretty sure it is just EQ and EQ2 at this point

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

They have EQ, EQ2, PS2, H1Z1, and DCUO as I recall.

Ostensibly those make money.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    DCUO is still a thing?

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    My hope is less that the Everquest IP will get re-used and live on, and more that the dev team for this game goes and gets nice new jobs at other companies, and takes the CONCEPTS they developed here to other places. I still think an MMO of some sort that uses the open-world building that this game was trying out would be AMAZING.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    DCUO is still a thing?

yes- it used to do very well on ps4 also. Steam stats shows people still play.
    My hope is less that the Everquest IP will get re-used and live on, and more that the dev team for this game goes and gets nice new jobs at other companies, and takes the CONCEPTS they developed here to other places. I still think an MMO of some sort that uses the open-world building that this game was trying out would be AMAZING.

i'd rather see the good folks that are left work on a return to mmo form version of eq3. Problem being- its pretty doomed to fail in this market.

The tech and concepts here were all smoke and mirrors unfortunately.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    DCUO is still a thing?

yes- it used to do very well on ps4 also. Steam stats shows people still play.

i'd rather see the good folks that are left work on a return to mmo form version of eq3. Problem being- its pretty doomed to fail in this market.

The tech and concepts here were all smoke and mirrors unfortunately.

Not to derail the thread, but DCUO also launched on XB1 a little under a year ago.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

They have EQ, EQ2, PS2, H1Z1, and DCUO as I recall.

Ostensibly those make money.

They also recently signed a deal with Standing Stone Games, a new indie developer made of ex-Turbine devs, and a deal to keep D&D Online and LOTR Online going without WB involved.

(She/Her)