As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wherein we discuss: Chuck vs [adjective] [noun]

• SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    For some reason (probably because of the two big-box stores), I keep comparing Chuck to Reaper, but they ARE different shows.

I like both. To me, Chuck started out less entertaining than Reaper, but now it's overtaken Reaper and I have an unwatched Reaper backlog on my DVR. Maybe it's b/c Reaper seems like the same thing every week. O_o?

Squashua on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should catch up on Reaper, the episode 2 weeks ago in particular breaks from the usual mold of the show.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    The one where Doris Herbig (brown eyes) has the day off for Halloween? I've seen the start, but...

Giant Teeth-Girl (aka "Candace" from Heroes / "Lousy Actress" from that show with Kelly Osborne) bothers me for some reason.

Squashua on
  • IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    The one where Doris Herbig (brown eyes) has the day off for Halloween? I've seen the start, but...

Giant Teeth-Girl (aka "Candace" from Heroes / "Lousy Actress" from that show with Kelly Osborne) bothers me for some reason.

It's DOLORES Herbig. :!:

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Illyria wrote: »

It's DOLORES Herbig. :!:

brown eyes

Squashua on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've started watching the show, following the high praise in this thread. And you guys are right, it's great as mindless and funny entertainment. I love it!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Monday's episode was pretty good.

Taximes on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    Also I liked how almost everyone's true feelings about each other came out. I saw the previews for next week, and I feel bad for Chuck...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This last episode was pretty good. So did anyone else catch the quick "Hot Coffee" reference? Not sure if it was intentional or not, but if it was, then it was a subtly placed geek joke for sure.

Operative21 on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Also I liked how almost everyone's true feelings about each other came out. I saw the previews for next week, and I feel bad for Chuck...

I loved it when Sarah shot the gymnast in the knee. "That wasn't very sporting."

Also, that lingerie was awesome.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This last episode was pretty good. So did anyone else catch the quick "Hot Coffee" reference? Not sure if it was intentional or not, but if it was, then it was a subtly placed geek joke for sure.

I definitely got a chuckle out of that one. I am liking this show more and more every week; I really hope this strike doesn't end up getting it canned.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Sarah was trained to resist truth serum.

Schrodinger on
    edited November 2007

Sarah was trained to resist truth serum.

But the ending revealed that she meant the opposite of what she told Chuck, what with the sad look and how long it took her to respond to his question. But mostly the sad look.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I loved it when Sarah shot the gymnast in the knee. "That wasn't very sporting."

Also, that lingerie was awesome.

I agree, the lingerie was surprisingly demure, but attractive. I rather liked the whole "Casey, your jaw was chiseled by Michaelangelo himself.".

I do wonder about the direction the plot will take though. We know that in six months the new intersect will be up and running, so you have to wonder about whether or not Casey will end up trying to knock off Chuck. It's certainly the stuff of season finale cliffhangers.

Operative21 on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This show is quickly surpassing Heroes as what I look forward come Monday night.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited November 2007
    lordswing wrote:
    This show has surpassed Heroes as what I look forward come Monday night.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like that it's straightforward and the 'cliffhangers' aren't anything that can keep the overall plot from moving forward. I like omgwtfplotwalls as much as the next jerk, but sometimes I just want closure.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, the revealing that Sarah was trained to resist the truth serum was one of the most poorly written revelations I've ever seen on TV. The show's still awesome, and I've dealt with the writing's flaws, but dear lord was that poorly written.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it's reaching a bit to assume the "hot coffee" was any sort of reference to anything.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
    edited November 2007
    Okay, the revealing that Sarah was trained to resist the truth serum was one of the most poorly written revelations I've ever seen on TV. The show's still awesome, and I've dealt with the writing's flaws, but dear lord was that poorly written.

I thought exactly that. I came up with several better scenarios before the credits even ended.

Bad guy chase scene, while under penethol, Sarah pulls a second gun, or a knife, or something.

Chuck: "Just how many weapons do you have?!"
    Sarah: "Only these two."

At the end, show her reflecting upon what she'd told Chuck while removing her vest and weapons, including bootknife, garrote, and 3 guns. Anything would have been better than that poorly delivered "Oh I can withstand penethol, apparently" dealie.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
    edited November 2007
    Criticizing Chuck for the writing is like criticizing Hooters for the food.

With that said, a better ending would have been if Sarah gave the villain a false lead while under the influence of truth serum, only for them to reveal it as a trap. Then her boss compliments her for remembering her training.

Schrodinger on
    edited November 2007
    Well the show is great, it hurts when something is so poorly executed on it. You even came up with a scenario that was ten times better.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Theres so many promising new shows that are clearly going to be killed by the writers strike this season. Chuck, Reaper and Big Bang Theory, all enjoyed by me more than anything I've watched in quite a while and they now all will almost inevitably be canceled :( Curse you writers! If you were going to strike, couldnt you have done so two years ago when everything on Tv was rubbish.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited November 2007
    That new chick, Lou, has really big eyebrows. Or at least it just looks that way.
    Looks like they have Brice/Bryce on ice or cloned next episode...

Squashua on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Like most people have said before, the show is obviously poorly written, but is still somehow addicting. Subliminal messages? Wouldn't that be ironic?
    At the very least, most of the characters are likable, but I'm pretty sure that NBC spent a long time looking for the 'perfect' mix of character traits. Chuck reminds me of lots of the nerds/geeks from other shows. It just seems that the character type is shoe-horned into the main role of a show...

Geek playing the unwilling hero who saves the world with latent ability? That's quite a popular role.

also, i think probably with the exception of Screech and maybe Freaks and Geeks, every TV or Movie "geek" has actually been someone who is actually very attractive. So it gets pretty lame when they try to sell them as "OMG he's such a nerd!!"

VoodooV on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Like most people have said before, the show is obviously poorly written, but is still somehow addicting. Subliminal messages? Wouldn't that be ironic?
    At the very least, most of the characters are likable, but I'm pretty sure that NBC spent a long time looking for the 'perfect' mix of character traits. Chuck reminds me of lots of the nerds/geeks from other shows. It just seems that the character type is shoe-horned into the main role of a show...

Geek playing the unwilling hero who saves the world with latent ability? That's quite a popular role.

also, i think probably with the exception of Screech and maybe Freaks and Geeks, every TV or Movie "geek" has actually been someone who is actually very attractive. So it gets pretty lame when they try to sell them as "OMG he's such a nerd!!"

Are you implying that someone cannot be both a geek and attractive? That's certainly not the case.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am referring to "geeks" and "nerds" in the traditional negative connotation (which is still used in TV/Movies) of awkwardness, lack of social skills and poor looks/hygiene, not the modern term of endearment.

VoodooV on
  • rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »

While the writing on the show drives me batty, I think this issue was actually dealt with well. In the first episode when Chuck's sister was trying to set him up with lots of women, you see at the start that they seem into him and attracted to him. It's only when he gets all socially retarded on them talking about his ex-gf and stuff that you slowly see their face fall, and then they disappear.

I thought it was clear that yes, Chuck is attractive. However he has plenty of problems that put him in the "geek" category.

rattletrap on
    edited November 2007
    So in tonight's episode, Jayne from Firefly meets another person frozen in a box.

Also, one of the geeks fails to call Sarah on her bluff.

Schrodinger on
    edited November 2007
    So in tonight's episode, Jayne from Firefly meets another person frozen in a box.

Also, one of the geeks fails to call Sarah on her bluff.

She was intimidating. Like. Wow.

Y'know, maybe some force really doesn't want Chuck to get laid? He just can't win.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Chuck gets dumped for a popsicle. Harsh.

Schrodinger on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I keep watching episodes of this show just to see hot women. Except Bilson, she looks like she is 12. Yvonne Strahovski is so extremely hot. Animal Mother and the ridiculous things that happen just add to the fun of the show

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So NBC choose to give Chuck a full season:!!:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What does that even mean right now? Chuck may have a full season pickup, but if no one is writing and shooting the episodes, it seems like an empty commitment.

But yes, hooray.

rattletrap on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, they originally ordered 13 scripts, so they have a little bit of a buffer into the beginning of next year if the strike is able to be resolved by then.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    So what did everyone think of tonight?

Episode 12: Obligatory bra shot.

Episode 13: Sarah and scantily dressed Pita Girl get into a cat fight over a fish.

Can anyone explain to me the deal with the blue light over the cash register?

Morgan is really testing my patience.

And the writers really need to do away with the melodramatic one liner endings.

Schrodinger on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It was just a security camera the CIA installed, probably with much better resolution and storage space than the ones the Wienerhut installed themselves.

iguanacus on
    edited January 2008
    They have new episodes? Finally!

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2008
    I haven't watched the proclaimed "2 new episodes" last night yet.

Did either of them explore the offhand comment that Jayne made about Chuck's sister from the pilot?

Squashua on
    edited January 2008
    I haven't watched the proclaimed "2 new episodes" last night yet.

Did either of them explore the offhand comment that Jayne made about Chuck's sister from the pilot?
    What comment? And who's Jayne?

Richy on
    sig.gif