As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 Cosplay thread

sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
edited June 2016 in PAX West
PAX West sales have come and gone so now it's time to focus on our next hurdle for our pilgrimage to Seattle: cosplay!

Use this thread to discuss your upcoming cosplay, share wip photos and get help/advice on crafting techniques.

I've added PAX West's weapons policy below

Weapons Check Policies
All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:

• It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
  • It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
  • It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)

Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged.

Also, last year's rule about expo hall photography still stands: No stopping in the aisles of the expo hall to take pictures. If you are having your photo taken or taking the photo yourself, either step into a booth away from foot traffic or ask the cosplayer/photographer if you can leave the expo hall and take pictures in other parts of the convention center.

sedirox on

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Right now I'm planning on doing the new female Pokemon trainer in Sun/Moon and Neon Katt from RWBY. Still figuring out a 3rd cosplay.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if I'll have the time or resources to make anything new, so at the very least I'll be bringing Sans I made for Sakuracon. Anyone taking bets on how much Undertale will be there? Personally I'm of the opinion the majority of the cosplaying demographic for that fandom is a little young and unemployed to be as large of a presence at PAX. I still expect to see quite a bit though.

If I do get the money I may be doing a Heroes of the Storm group with some friends. I'd probably do Lunara, but just a 2-foot faun version rather than full dryad. That's a little beyond my skill level. :P

I'm not sure if I'll do a third or just do my kigurumi like I did last year for a lazy day.

• ViverraViverra Commander TexasRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing my Sole Survivor from Fallout 4 for sure. I'm going to have Mercy from Overwatch done by then too.

Facebook Page | Viverra Cosplay
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Thanks @sedirox for organizing this thread! I'm a huge fan of cosplay and enjoy every piece I see. I'm not the most fantastic cosplayer, but I do enjoy doing it
    even if no one took my picture at last year's Prime
    . I'm once again going to be going as a female inkling(which is tough for me to pull off since I'm a male). I'm also going to be going as Evil Otto from Berzerk(not the anime, but the old Atari 2600 game). I may do another cosplay, but I have some repairs that need to be done on my Inkling, so I doubt I'll bring anything else.

My clownfish shoes got a little dirty, so they need a new coat of paint. My Inkling hat also needs a little repair since the cardboard inside has broken due to the Seattle storm of last year's Pax Prime. Face paint is not my forte, and I don't like putting it on. My Inkling shorts also need the little strip of green reattached, so hopefully that'll get done in July. Guess I have a little bit of work to do in July for prep work.

Anyways, looking forward to everyone's cosplay and hope everyone gets it done in time. I know I'll try.... :}

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    I'll probably do my old Vox Populi costume. I have been thinking of doing henchman 21, from "every which way but zeus", but that depends on weather.

May PAX be upon you.
  • sapheresaphere Registered User regular
    I'm going to attempt to go as Tali'Zorah from Mass Effect. I've never cosplayed before and this is my first PAX so we'll see how it goes! Hoping I can make a decent costume without any sewing.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'll probably do my old Vox Populi costume. I have been thinking of doing henchman 21, from "every which way but zeus", but that depends on weather.
    Do it! I love my Gary boy. I can see how that'd get cold fast though.

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    Do it! I love my Gary boy. I can see how that'd get cold fast though.

Gonna road test it at SDCC, it's warmer in San Deigo but the con will still be pumping AC.

May PAX be upon you.
    Anyone taking bets on how much Undertale will be there? Personally I'm of the opinion the majority of the cosplaying demographic for that fandom is a little young and unemployed to be as large of a presence at PAX. I still expect to see quite a bit though.

There will be a lot! I was at East this year and I saw quite a few on Saturday.
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Thanks @sedirox for organizing this thread! I'm a huge fan of cosplay and enjoy every piece I see. I'm not the most fantastic cosplayer, but I do enjoy doing it
    even if no one took my picture at last year's Prime

Thanks! Someone else usually gets this thread rolling but 2 days after tickets sale were done, it wasn't up so I said hey, why not?
    Also, no worries about getting your photo taken. I'm in the same boat. (that's what I get for cosplaying indie games that usually only the devs know haha)

• DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    I'll be going as Crono for Pax West this year. It went pretty well at Pax South, even got my picture taken for IGN, so I'm hoping it goes just as well at West.

• TabbyKatTabbyKat Registered User regular
    I'll only be doing one day of PAX this year so I'm trying to pick a cosplay that I can still walk around in a lot (no heels or heavy wig like last year). I think I'll be doing a Litten cosplay and my boyfriend will go as the new Sun and Moon Pokemon trainer.

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Thanks for making the thread, I'll be happy to answer any questions that may arise about cosplay weapons or etc etc.

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    My husband and I have cosplayed as Leon S Kennedy and Ada Wong from RE2 for the past few years :D That's probably what we'll do again (especially since RE is celebrating 20 years this year). All I need to find is a good wig for Ada, and some fingerless gloves that aren't enormous.

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • GalactikittenGalactikitten Registered User new member
    My boyfriend and I are doing Overwatch cosplays! He's going to be Genji, and I'm going as Mei. We are super excited since we haven't ever cosplayed before :3

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    My fiancé and me are going to be going as Vault Dwellers, I'm going as Vault 77, and she's going as a Boomer. In addition, I'm gonna be having a AER that I 3D printed, and we're gonna make her a Fat Man :-D

k1h1717giwi5.jpg

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if I'll have the time or resources to make anything new, so at the very least I'll be bringing Sans I made for Sakuracon. Anyone taking bets on how much Undertale will be there? Personally I'm of the opinion the majority of the cosplaying demographic for that fandom is a little young and unemployed to be as large of a presence at PAX. I still expect to see quite a bit though.

Thanks for mentioning Undertale. My 10 year old is obsessed with it so I looked up a Toriel costume on Etsy and will likely get that ball rolling as she can wear it for PAX and then Halloween. (Last year she was Foxy from FNAF but didn't have the costume in time for PAX.) Anyway, I sent her the link and asked her if she wanted to do it and she was all, "wow, you paid attention to what I like." :cool: Uhhhh....yeah ... only 'cause she can't stop talking about it.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• AK Shadow92AK Shadow92 Anchorage, AlaskaRegistered User regular
    So this will my first time going to PAX I am flying down from Alaska and I want to do a "game related" cosplay but if all else fails I guess I could bring my Star Lord that I have been working on and just about done the last thing is to get a system to attach the rocket boosters on the boots. Also I have yet to find a place to stay near the Expo center so if anyone might have room for one plz let me know I am willing to pay, but if all else fails I can stay with family or family friends but then have to figure out transportation :(

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    So this will my first time going to PAX I am flying down from Alaska and I want to do a "game related" cosplay but if all else fails I guess I could bring my Star Lord that I have been working on and just about done the last thing is to get a system to attach the rocket boosters on the boots. Also I have yet to find a place to stay near the Expo center so if anyone might have room for one plz let me know I am willing to pay, but if all else fails I can stay with family or family friends but then have to figure out transportation :(

There's a room share thread stickied here. Have you checked it out?
    (May want to specify you'll be cosplaying, and give estimates of how big/in depth it is. I know some people don't like rooming with cosplayers - but if it's small enough/minimal prep time, that could be a non-issue. But it's nice to give people a heads up.)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • cliaracliara Registered User new member
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to cosplay Mercy from Overwatch, and from the looks of it there's going to be a lot of other Overwatch cosplayers and I can't wait to shower them with my love :o

cliara on
    Battlenet: Sinthia#11400
    cliara wrote: »
    I'm going to cosplay Mercy from Overwatch, and from the looks of it there's going to be a lot of other Overwatch cosplayers and I can't wait to shower them with my love :o
    Better be valkyrie mercy

There's a room share thread stickied here. Have you checked it out?
    (May want to specify you'll be cosplaying, and give estimates of how big/in depth it is. I know some people don't like rooming with cosplayers - but if it's small enough/minimal prep time, that could be a non-issue. But it's nice to give people a heads up.)
    There is? I looked around and didn't see one so I made one :(

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I always love to see all the pretty and awesome cosplays, every year. I will have my Gaige (Borderlands) with lots of other characters (friends are also cosplaying), Moogle (Final Fantasy), Redshirt (Star Trek, I'm trying to survive as a Redshirt), and I will either have my luigi or I will make American McGee's Alice Red Queen with Flamingo bat. I've lost a ton of weight since last year so all my costume are being resized and upgraded. I look forward to get lots of photos with you all!

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hml151 wrote: »
    I always love to see all the pretty and awesome cosplays, every year. I will have my Gaige (Borderlands) with lots of other characters (friends are also cosplaying), Moogle (Final Fantasy), Redshirt (Star Trek, I'm trying to survive as a Redshirt), and I will either have my luigi or I will make American McGee's Alice Red Queen with Flamingo bat. I've lost a ton of weight since last year so all my costume are being resized and upgraded. I look forward to get lots of photos with you all!
    Luigi you say :P I'm trying to get a Waluigi together myself we should do pictures together

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    hml151 wrote: »
    Luigi you say :P I'm trying to get a Waluigi together myself we should do pictures together

I would love photos and photos with everyone else too. I've been cosplaying at pax since my second year 2008 and love seeing everyone's creativity. It is definitely something I look forward too.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InukiInuki Registered User regular
    I'm working on Dark Souls cosplay for this year, really hoping I can get enough done in time to wear it. I guess I should have started a little sooner.

Re: that rule about the "no cosplayer photos in the expo hall" I want to say that I found it really negative last year and I'd like to see it altered, or at least broadened to not specifically target cosplayers.

For one thing, the sign specifically mentions and targets cosplayers, which I observed (and many people I know confirmed) that if a cosplayer stopped anywhere for even a moment in the expo hall that wasn't within a booth, they were immediately asked to move by enforcers, even when the expo hall path they were standing in was largely empty. Second, when non-cosplayers stopped to take photos or selfies, nobody said or did anything, even when they were blocking crowded areas. Third, explicitly stating that "cosplayers" shouldn't stop for people, rather than a general warning about people stopping to take photos and blocking areas made a lot of cosplayers I know feel unwelcome, some saying they didn't really feel like returning if they were going to be singled out/targeted as if they were not wanted there.

I fully realize Expo Hall is usually the most high traffic area, but singling us out and then aggressively targeting us makes it seem like we're unwanted. A lot of expo hall vendors reward cosplayers by giving them prizes or holding cosplay contests, some also offer photobooths that they might want their picture taken at, so to say that cosplayers shouldn't be permitted in the Expo Hall at all runs counter to what all the Expo Hall booths are doing, and the fact that PAX in part celebrates and permits cosplay (in fact, a significant portion of media attention re: PAX is cosplay related, so it does to some degree benefit them).

Here's the reality: when I walked through expo hall in cosplay, a lot of people asked me to stop and take a photo with them. If I even stopped to talk to them, I was immediately asked to start moving by enforcers, even when there was nobody around and nobody was being blocked. A lot of people either don't see the signs saying not to stop to take photos, or they simply don't care. And then I'm left with the task of apologizing and telling people that they can't take my photo- not because I'm a jerk who won't let them, but because the expo hall is a high traffic area and we aren't permitted to take them there. On some occasions, we were able to stand against a booth to try to take them and keep out of the walk ways, but even then enforcers would try to move me along.

I had one experience where nobody was even trying to take my photo, I was just at a booth watching a panel. The booth was very full. The enforcers kept circling and slowing down near me and kept telling me I would have to move further in (which meant literally shoving people) or I'd have to leave, even though I was within the booth and not even blocking any hallway space.

It's frustrating because I have had nothing but great experiences with enforcers in the past (while waiting in lineups outside the building or outside expo hall in early mornings- when I wasn't in cosplay), but it seems like as soon as I get into cosplay I'm just a nuisance.

Further frustration, which has nothing directly to do with PAX itself, in past years (ie: 2014) Riot had a cosplay repair room which was on the 6th floor which was cosplayer exclusive only, like a green room/break room for resting and changing. It had curtained areas for changing, a dedicated photographer with backdrop, tables with repair supplies, etc. I know Riot has had a huge and overwhelming influence on cosplayers and sees a lot of support and advertisement from them, but it also fosters and strongly nurtures/encourages that which was wonderful to see.

Then last year, Riot had 0 presence at PAX events, not even attending Prime to hand out skins. There was a different booth that offered repair, but its supplies were lacking (there was no seating, if I remember correctly, it was completely open to the public, right at the top of the escalators near the skybridge, and when I was there they only had 1 working glue gun...) I mean, they had a very visually appealing set up that made it look like a medical clinic, but in terms of the things cosplayers really needed, it was kind of useless and I was glad I had no major problems with my cosplay. I know it's never been PAX's responsibility to provide anything for cosplayers, but I do think it'd be nice to see them follow in Riot's lead and set up a dedicated cosplay repair room. It's not that hard as they already have rooms that are out of the way. If I recall last year, all that was in there was a retro arcade. Not saying they need to go to the extent Riot did, but at least provide a quiet room with some basic tables/chairs and basic repair supplies. Almost every other fan convention I know does this.

If PAX West wants cosplayers to continue to attend, they need to at least make us feel welcome. That means, not singling out cosplayers on signage in a negative manner, and considering either a dedicated cosplay repair room, or else maybe suggesting to some of the companies in attendance that someone set one up. As far as I know, Bioware was the only one that even had a contest last year that took place during the convention (as opposed to an after party off-site), and it was on Friday in the day time with no real announcement that anyone would've known about.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just wanted to get my frustrations out because 2014 and prior I felt like cosplayers were treated so well, and then last year I really thought someone dropped the ball.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Inuki wrote: »
    Re: that rule about the "no cosplayer photos in the expo hall" I want to say that I found it really negative last year and I'd like to see it altered, or at least broadened to not specifically target cosplayers.

Last PAX West was our first stab at this new policy. We made some improvements at East, and will be tweaking it still until it hits the right balance of reducing congestion in the Expo Hall and providing a good experience for everyone. We certainly don't want to single out cosplayer photography only , and will work on the signage to reflect that. Our goal in general is no stopping in the isles, we will continue to work out the best way to communicate that.

We do take all enforcer feedback seriously, we want every interaction with them to be courteous. Because crowds can form very quickly in the Expo hall and cause issues if they aren't kept up on, the enforcers often need to act quickly. As always we will work towards improvement in their messaging.

Far as the Cosplay Lounge, I love seeing communities manage this and hope every PAX has one. The PAX Aus cosplay community has a mobile cosplay repair guy that attends many cons, has tons of tools on him and can be called to come to you. Innovations like that from the community are awesome.

We want everyone to feel welcome at PAX, and even though we might stumble in that goal sometimes, we try our best to learn from our mistakes. Thank you for letting us know.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited July 2016
    Folks, I have a quick question about weapons.
    I've never had to deal with weapons/props for PAX before but for Neon Katt, I'm looking to get some light up nunchucks. The 2 rods are made out of plastic but the chain attaching them together is stainless steel. Would that be okay with weapons check?

sedirox on
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    No issues.

AaronC wrote: »
    No issues.

Thanks! I start working on it this weekend. Expect some progress pictures from me over the next month and a half.

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    5oqjaeo60h50.jpg
    I'm bringing Ratchet and Clank at the very least. Currently gutted Clank and am working on his servos.

divisionten on
    edited July 2016
    Almost have all my parts together for Waluigi just need the shirt and overalls o also I'm getting a Bob-omb.

AK Shadow92 on
  • AzelasAzelas Registered User new member
    Viverra wrote: »
    I'll be bringing my Sole Survivor from Fallout 4 for sure. I'm going to have Mercy from Overwatch done by then too.

Wanted to ask! is there a specific day/meetup for all the overwatch cosplayers? I plan on bringing a McCree and Hanzo to PAX this year, and wanted to make sure...!

• Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Well my Splatoon clownfish shoes have gotten another pain job. Shorts also have been fixed up from last year. The hat(which is the hair) may or may not get done by the time I have to leave. I look forward to all the cosplays that everyone has, and look forward to getting some awesome pictures. Don't feel shy to take me in either my Evil Otto from Berzerk(the old Atari 2600 game) or my Splatoon get up. See everyone in about a month's time

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
    Well my Splatoon clownfish shoes have gotten another pain job. Shorts also have been fixed up from last year. The hat(which is the hair) may or may not get done by the time I have to leave. I look forward to all the cosplays that everyone has, and look forward to getting some awesome pictures. Don't feel shy to take me in either my Evil Otto from Berzerk(the old Atari 2600 game) or my Splatoon get up. See everyone in about a month's time

I look forward to making new friends as well since cosplay friends tend to be the best :P

• sapheresaphere Registered User regular
    Is anyone planning on ordering fabric from Spoonflower in the next week? I got a free shipping code when I ordered fabric for my Tali cosplay today that is valid for the next 7 days. Not 100% sure if other people can use it but worth a shot.

• DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    saphere wrote: »
    Is anyone planning on ordering fabric from Spoonflower in the next week? I got a free shipping code when I ordered fabric for my Tali cosplay today that is valid for the next 7 days. Not 100% sure if other people can use it but worth a shot.

I have a friend who is working on some last minute stuff for his plague knight costume, and he may be interested. I'll ask and find out for sure.

• BullBull Registered User regular
    Can I dress up as something not related to video games (Movie,Tv show)?

I ended up changing my lineup and I'll be going as Marie! Hopefully I'll run into you!

Bull wrote: »

YES! I've seen tons of TV/Movie/Anime cosplays at PAX so feel free!! :biggrin:

sedirox wrote: »
    Bull wrote: »

YES! I've seen tons of TV/Movie/Anime cosplays at PAX so feel free!! :biggrin:
    That's the one thing about cosplaying that gets a lot of people when the event is for a different fandom group and a person wants to cosplay a character that isn't in that fandom and thinks well I don't have anything to wear now but in the end and in the wise words of shia labeouf "JUST DO IT" nzjr79a0lajz.jpg