As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overwatch: Kawaii Noon

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    plain mice are perfectly good actually

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Plain wired mice.

Also I can't imagine playing any games at all on a desk like that. That just sounds awful.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Plain wired mice.

Also I can't imagine playing any games at all on a desk like that. That just sounds awful.

thus why he prefers a controller, I suppose

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is wireless and only has four buttons...five if you count the mouse wheel I guess. If I start using the keypad for attacks and stuff then I can't move properly since I'm taking my fingers off of the move keys to hit attacks. Same problem I ran into with MMOs. Why I always liked ones where I could just stand next to the NPCs and hit cooldowns. And why I never bothered with PVP, I couldn't move and attack fast enough.

uyvfOQy.png

Plain wired mice.

thus why he prefers a controller, I suppose

No I mean like I couldn't play any games with a desk like that in my house. I wouldn't be able to relax until I had chopped it up and turned it to firewood. Knowing those desks still exist outside of OfficeMax from 1998 is going to make it difficult to sleep tonight.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    also jesus guys
    i may get salty about some of his opinions
    but gettin up in his grill about accomodating his comfort is some real ableist shit

it's a fuckin video game; if he was on a pro team with their livelihood on the line, that kind of criticism might be pertinent
    but a lot of this is not coming across as good-natured ribbing

lfchwLd.jpg
    small-computer-desk-keyboard-tray.jpg

Basically that but lower, so the tray thing is basically in my lap and the desk is almost chest level.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited June 2016
    I'm just offering advice based on past experiences I've had adjusting to new control setups and the pain that I've dealt with in those periods.

Except the desk stuff. I just really hate that style of desk, mostly because I as stuck with really bad desks growing up because Ikea wasn't a thing back then.

Edit: looks like you can remove the tray and monitor stand (I only say this because elevating my monitor even more is uncomfortable)

TheStig on
    No I mean like I couldn't play any games with a desk like that in my house. I wouldn't be able to relax until I had chopped it up and turned it to firewood. Knowing those desks still exist outside of OfficeMax from 1998 is going to make it difficult to sleep tonight.

I probably got it like 15 years ago from Target or Walmart or something, less. It's kinda amazing it's so sturdy.

I have a laptop so that's my monitor, I just tilt the screen down a bit and it works pretty well. I could remove the tray...but then there's nowhere for my keyboard. Mouse would have to go, like, way off to the side I guess? Maybe I'm just really used to having everything setup like this.

uyvfOQy.png
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    I've had this desk for like 13 years and it is without a doubt the greatest desk ever made.

n0lb61k064oq.jpg

1 large plane for use, 1 top ones for storing shit (3rd optional level). Free space underneath for chairs and legs.

The Ikea Jerker.
    Perfection.

TheStig on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    well, the OfficeMax desk is clearly of the nightmare realm.
    i'm only kind of joking..

ergonomics is something worthwhile to think about, for sure. it is just inherently subjective

and for people to go 'gitgudnub', when one of the strengths of Overwatch is it being less twitchy
    and therefore more accessible for those of us with bad wrists, or neuro issues, or what-have-you

it just smacks a bit of gate-keeping or a lack of empathy/awareness to say, "You shouldn't play if you can't be as good as <insert metric>."
    which is what is implied when people talk about failing the team or pulling your own weight.

and i get kinda riled up, because yes it is a team game, but i play to play, not to win (winning of course is nice)
    and the above sentiment asserts that winning is the important thing, so anyone who cannot or will not prioritize that gets short shrift
    which, again, tends to be people underserved in games/gaming communities, equally deserving of having fun.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    I've had this desk for like 13 years and it is without a doubt the greatest desk ever made.

1 large plane for use, 1 top ones for storing shit (3rd optional level). Free space underneath for chairs and legs.

The Ikea Jerker.
    Perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdghRwWfaOQ

uyvfOQy.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    There was a roundabout meme for Roadhog, where the To Be Continued hit as he hooks an exploding D.va over to his group,

Does anyone still have a link to that one?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Boy, you feel helpless when your team refuses to advance when you're playing as Mercy, huh

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a craft table? from an old sewing store. It's very 70's from what I can tell as the veneer is peeling off
    It's tall enough I can sit under it with little issue
    Really of the things I got while living here this table will come with me when I move as I feel it's one of the better desks tables I have ever sat at

Boy, you feel helpless when your team refuses to advance when you're playing as Mercy, huh

Or D va or any of the other momentum characters

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Brainleech wrote: »

At least I can charge in and cause something to happen with them, I'm not about to amble in with my pistol

Brainleech wrote: »

At least I can charge in and cause something to happen with them, I'm not about to amble in with my pistol

Go for broke
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcqTFlYeaVA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdRdmSL9a_c

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    [Watches torb get needed into the ground]
    [Continues to play symmetra]

Nice

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    [Watches torb get needed into the ground]
    [Continues to play symmetra]

Nice
    R u d e

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah, I dusted off my keypad, went into training and remapped all the buttons to something similar to an MMO so I would kinda know where to reach. Abiliites above movement basically. The fact that there's no 'turn left/turn right' buttons really threw me off, I had to map extra buttons to left/right just so I wouldn't keep hitting 'understood' while trying to turn and stuff.

I managed to get through one game and my shoulder and neck already hurt, so there ends that experiment.

Also everything is backwards compared to controller. Like regular fire is RT, alt is LT....so regular fire being left click and alt right click was bizarre. Even yes/no options in menus were backwards.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Just had a baller run, won like 6-7 matches in a row with the same pub group including winning Volskaya attack in less than 2 minutes.

First match was at Ilios ruins and the enemy team opened up with 5 Winstons and a Lucio. Figured we were gonna get stampeded anyway, so I went Zarya to get some practice at least. Another dude also went Zarya, and we ended up pretty well destroying them.

I also made a lot of progress getting better at anticipating shields for myself and allies. It feels really good when you bubble yourself causing the enemy to peel off and go after an ally, only to bubble them immediately, the enemy backs off and now you have ~75 charge. I think a well-played Zarya is the best feeling I've had in the game so far.

Also, while testing the controls, I realized something I'd never seen explained anywhere...Zarya's gun has a very limited range. Like ten feet away it just stops. No wonder I was missing all the time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Reynolds, is it just using the keyboard that causes discomfort?

If so, maybe try using something like a controller in your left hand using a program like joy2key to make the game treat it like a keyboard instead of a controller and then use a mouse in your right. Assuming the mouse is comfortable for you, that could be a good mix of precision aim and comfort. This game has an incredibly strong headshot bonus of 2x damage so consistent precision aim is mechanically very strong in the game.

If not though, eh, it's only a game at the end of fhe day.

Inquisitor on
    I just had a team who all fought at the spawn door on Numbani defense. And all died there. So I'm sitting at the point putting up turrets, and the entire enemy team just walks in. Payload was delivered in record time. Good lord.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited June 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Reynolds, is it just using the keyboard that causes discomfort?

If so, maybe try using something like a controller in your left hand using a program like joy2key to make the game treat it like a keyboard instead of a controller and then use a mouse in your right. Assuming the mouse is comfortable for you, that could be a good mix of precision aim and comfort. This game has an incredibly strong headshot bonus of 2x damage so consistent precision aim is mechanically very strong in the game.

If not though, eh, it's only a game at the end of fhe day.

Propping my arm up on the armrest and wrist by the keyboard makes my shoulder and neck hurt, yes. I broke my shoulder when I was a kid and it makes lots of clicking noises when I move my shoulder around, so I'm guessing it's related to that.

I already used one program to make it think my PS4 controller is a 360 controller. I think remapping it to a keyboard would lose a lot of the bonuses of the analog stick, right? I might try to figure out some way to map buttons around to try using controller and mouse and see if the game just flips out completely trying to change the UI all the time or what. I might have to map jump to L3 and hold the controller to switch heroes, but it might work...

Edit: Also, I think none of the heroes I play can headshot. Zarya, Symmetra, sometimes Junkrat, Mei just freezes them first so aiming is no problem. Bastion is a joke.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The thing that drives me crazy now is people dancing in front of the chokepoint on assault maps for 2+ minutes without just pushing in.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just had a team who all fought at the spawn door on Numbani defense. And all died there. So I'm sitting at the point putting up turrets, and the entire enemy team just walks in. Payload was delivered in record time. Good lord.

success in defending numbani A is directly correlated to how hard you push everyone to fall back to the point at even the slightest provocation

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I just couldn't believe what was happening. I was busy setting up turrets and could see their little icons moving around. Usually people go down there and harass a bit, fall back to one bus, to the next bus. Maybe lose one or two, but then an enemy will try to sneak past and get turret murdered. I had just finished when I looked up at the kill count and saw all these red icons, then all the skulls. Then the entire enemy team rushes me in my hidey hole. By the time I'd run back the payload was most of the way to the goal, I just kinda stood back and watched them mow down my team who kept running in one by one. Never seen it that bad before.

uyvfOQy.png
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    When I play Mercy, I love finding a good D.Va to latch on to. Just dashing around the capture point like crazy while we pull all the agro and let the rest of the team walk up behind and clean up.

ZD98Zka.png
    That is one of the reasons I like playing DVA the enemy is wasting their time with me when the real fight is back there

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    They really need to get around to pushing those Mcree and Widow nerfs to console. Getting tired of being deleted by Mcree and not being able to play Zen if the other team has an even kinda OK Widow.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I doubt the Widow nerf makes it to console

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Then they need to give Zen 25 more health or something.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    i've been thinking about getting a fight stick for movement in pc games

i have cerebral palsy and all i can do is slide my thumb across the keyboard

it works well enough but i thought it might be better if i grip a joystick with my whole hand and move around that way

it would mean i wouldn't have access to q and e but it would also mean i could strafe in diagonals

Shabooty wrote: »
    i've been thinking about getting a fight stick for movement in pc games

i have cerebral palsy and all i can do is slide my thumb across the keyboard

it works well enough but i thought it might be better if i grip a joystick with my whole hand and move around that way

it would mean i wouldn't have access to q and e but it would also mean i could strafe in diagonals

Have you ever looked at those things that are basically a small keypad with an analog stick? Dunno if that would work or not.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    https://clips.twitch.tv/joshog/ClearHummingbirdSwiftRage

this is so insane that I can't even deal

I thought it was cool to get one flying headshot which I've done but his kill on the ADADing 76 was just nuts

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I decided to try out lucio today

fucking pretty good, man

ikbUJdU.jpg
This discussion has been closed.