As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken deadbolt, stuck outside

FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I was leaving my apartment last night and I went to lock the deadbolt. Turned the key like normal... heard a little *click*, and now the key just spins. Sat there like an idiot for 10 minutes desperately turning the key. It's locked, but I can't unlock it.

Landlord's office is completely empty until next week (veteran's day), and their "24 hour" maintenance line isn't being answered. So, no help there. It's on the 5th floor, so barring a fire truck, I can't crawl in through a window.

My only hope is to dismantle/destroy the lock enough to get in. It's a cheapass Kwikset lock, so I don't think it'll be too hard? The front cover is loose, I was thinking of trying to pry that off, but I'm not sure if that actually reveals the mechanism itself. Other than that, I have a drill, but no idea where to drill. I really don't want to destroy the door in the process.

Help? :(

Fats on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Call a locksmith.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Call a locksmith.

Then give the bill to your asshat of a landlord.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Comahawk wrote:
    Call a locksmith.

That sounds about right - you're locked out of your house and nobody is there to help you out. Especially the supposed 24 hour help line.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    you're locked out of your house and nobody is there to help you out. Especially the supposed 24 hour help line.

Oranged for truth and validity.

Bendit on
    My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Comahawk wrote:
    Call a locksmith.
    That sounds about right - you're locked out of your house and nobody is there to help you out. Especially the supposed 24 hour help line.
    Yup. This is what I'd do.

Even if you get stuck with the bill (which, really, under the vast, vast majority of landlord/tenant laws, you shouldn't), it'll be more worth it than spending all weekend locked out.

Not to mention that if you break the lock/door in order to get in, they'll probably charge you for it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    the locksmith might have to do some damage to the lock to open it, but it's gonna be cleaner than if you did it.

you will need ID for the locksmith to work as well.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, but the lock is already broken, so damaging it isn't that big of a deal.

Doc on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Yeah, but the lock is already broken, so damaging it isn't that big of a deal.

yeah, waht i meant is that the locksmith will do a better job of breaking it, causing less damage and less repair costs, than if he broke it unprofessionally.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well, shit. I was hoping somebody had some MacGyver-esque shit up their sleeve. Oh well.

I took the chance to drive up and visit some old friends, but when I get back tomorrow I guess I'll call a locksmith. Getting the landlord to pay is gonna be like pulling teeth. emot-argh.gif

Thanks guys.

Driver's license should work, right?

Fats on
  • Options
    NozzNozz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You can always break the door open. I've had to do it before. It's a last ditch thing but it was cheaper for me to repair my door frame than to replace the lock (my girlfriend locked me out and left for the weekend). Basically, you just kick right where the lock is on the door, on the wood of the door. The piece of wood that is blocking the bolt will give with a good swift kick.

This all depends on how the lock is set up, but it works in an emergency. I am not responsible for any damages, just letting you know what I've done in the past. It takes less force than you might think to bust a door open. Just try not to break the door itself... those are a lot more expensive than fixing a break in the frame.

Nozz on
    4811 3493 4349: Pearl FC
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fats wrote:
    Well, shit. I was hoping somebody had some MacGyver-esque shit up their sleeve. Oh well.

I took the chance to drive up and visit some old friends, but when I get back tomorrow I guess I'll call a locksmith. Getting the landlord to pay is gonna be like pulling teeth. emot-argh.gif

Thanks guys.
    In most municipalities, you can simply deduct it from the rent.

This would be considered an "emergency repair."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    In most municipalities, you can simply deduct it from the rent.

Damn right, send him a letter with the bill right away explaining what happened, end it with a statement that you will deduct this total from your next months rent. If he ended up taking it to small claims court, you'd win in a second.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    just wanted to point out that if it's you trying to break the lock and not a locksmith, you would immediately look like someone breaking and entering rather than someone who has a valid reason to be tampering with a lock (the locksmith).

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If it's a double cylinder deadbolt the lock has a little tailpiece on each side that interlock into the bolt itself. Your tailpiece on the exterior cylinder has broken, not even the locksmith will be able to get through without damaging something.

That said and done, the lock is probably worth less than a what a locksmith would charge. Unfortunately the knowledge of where to drill is not something that should be plastered on a forum. However, cluey people could use various instructions to see what I mean.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    just wanted to point out that if it's you trying to break the lock and not a locksmith, you would immediately look like someone breaking and entering rather than someone who has a valid reason to be tampering with a lock (the locksmith).
    Also, your claim for compensation will be a lot less likely to go over well if you try and take matters into your own hand.

And a driver's license will be fine, provided that it's the same address, if course.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Fats wrote:

Driver's license should work, right?

That would be fine, so long as it includes your address. Of course, the locksmith will normally be happy to break into your apartment and then wait while you go in and get proof of residency (such as photo ID plus a utilities bill in your name as proof of address). They work on the principal that if your stupid enough to forget your keys, it's highly possible that you won't be carrying multiple forms of ID as well (I know you didn't forget your keys, but that's the normal reason for having to get a locksmith to break into your home).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Welp, it took the locksmith maybe 5 minutes to get in. It's a good thing I asked, since I would have been out there with a crowbar and a drill, probably destroying half the door in the process. emot-downs.gif

Thanks all.

Fats on