As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here's Your God Damn Wii Thread (Updated OP)

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    what, did I misspell it?

Edit: oh

TheySlashThem on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yeah Keith, Because Mario games are clearly played for their storyline.

no it's not like "well that wasn't much of a story"

it's "i have no idea what happened"

Garlic Bread on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TDOT I think you forgot a subordinating conjunction there.

EDIT: Ah you got it

Iskander on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yeah Keith, Because Mario games are clearly played for their storyline.

no it's not like "well that wasn't much of a story"

it's "i have no idea what happened"
    That actually sounds like it would be better.

But then since you provided no details I had to make shit up in my head.

Is there dancing keith? Because that would be great.

Bedlam on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    No

Maybe i'm just overthinking it

probably

Garlic Bread on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith, when in doubt, the princess is in another castle.

Khavall on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh dammit is there SH talk going on in here

I am playing origins right now

It's pretty good so far

also SH3 best etc

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I beat MP3, it was fantastic, but the last boss was a bit disappointing.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Someone really should have told you to stop after the first Ridley fight.

Javen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I kinda wish I could play Galaxy with a regular controller

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    I beat MP3, it was fantastic, but the last boss was a bit disappointing.

How did you already beat it? I find myself having to bring up the willpower to even turn it on... D:

Iskander on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    That'd be cool, but I also don't really feel hindered by the Wii-mote at all.

The only thing that gets me is the delay between the spin-punches there is. I always get my timing off.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    You just finished what, Bryyo?

Yeah, you should look forward to the next planet, it's cool.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Resident Evil: UC is pretty fun, you guys.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw RE:UC at the store today but I bought Kenny vs. Spenny season 3 instead

It's... justified because I don't get a Wii for another week

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, then you're missing out on a shitload of fun for another week.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited November 2007
    Alright, bye

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I heard you can upgrade your weapons and etc confirm/deny

Anime Owns on
    edited November 2007
    Yes, yes you can.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited November 2007
    Swinging my knife is so much fucking fun. I think I've knifed more things to death rather than shooting them.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited November 2007
    Also, Grenades are a blast too.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Uhh, why?

Addendum: How would that even work?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2007
    Uhh, why?

Addendum: How would that even work?

It would work perfectly fine.. the only thing that would have to go is being able to nab star bits with the cursor which is fine with me.

I am just not a fan of the remote/nunchuck. I like the feel of a regular controller better.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    So what about pull stars, sling pods, spinning, all the one shot galaxies with different control schemes... no, no, I'm just going to say I think you're pretty weird for want of a "regular controller". Which still boggles my mind because all it is is a "regular controller" split into two(button wise).

There's a lot more to the game added by the controller than just "collecting star bits."

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it's one of the first games that was really made for the remote in mind, which is some of the reason why it shines on the console so much.

Javen on
    edited November 2007
    Well most of the one-off minigame galaxies I hate, so I dont mind seeing those go either.
    spinning and all that stuff can be done with buttons just fine, pull stars are a little trickier I had forgotten about them but a simple targetting system would work for those.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    No I have to vehemently disagree here let me go find a crossed arms emoticon.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2007
    It's a great game and it uses the wiimote better than any other game so far.. but I still don't think it's anything that wouldnt be just as good with a more traditional controller.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Well most of the one-off minigame galaxies I hate, so I dont mind seeing those go either.
    spinning and all that stuff can be done with buttons just fine, pull stars are a little trickier I had forgotten about them but a simple targetting system would work for those.

Well I just plain don't like the spinning mechanic. It was put in expressly to make the game easier for people who couldn't deal with the gravity mechanic and were disoriented by moving around on some of the smaller worlds.

Javen on
    edited November 2007
    I picked up my RE:UC preorder but I can't play it until the weekend because a good friend is just as much of a RE slob as me. So we gotta co-op the whole thing.

edit: yeah that's what I assumed the spin was for when I first started running around upside down and jumping on heads was out of the question(I've gotten better about that). But still, if you're low on health, spin attack then kill nets you star pieces instead of health. Which doesn't really matter because the only times I've died due to health loss were on Battle Rock. Damn lasers and cannons everywhere.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2007
    Javen wrote: »

Well I just plain don't like the spinning mechanic. It was put in expressly to make the game easier for people who couldn't deal with the gravity mechanic and were disoriented by moving around on some of the smaller worlds.

I agree with you. While I'm sure a return to the basic punch attacks from Mario 64 could get frustrating trying to orient yourself properly in certain parts of the game.. the fact that it's a 360 degree attack is overcompensating. Something that had 180 degrees of reach would have been a better compromise I think.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jesus, when is this "oh, you could do that on a regular controller" argument going to die? I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the Wii isn't just about completely unique gameplay experiences. Not every game has to re-invent the genre. Some things that can be done with regular controls are more fun with waggle. Sure you could just press a button to spin, but I find it more fun to shake the remote, it's just more visceral. Collecting star bits with the pointer is vastly more fun than running all over the place to scoop the things up. And the little features like the bubble or the magnet star things are just more enjoyable with the pointer even if it's not completely necessary.

My only complaint with the controls is their use of the B button. Shooting stuff with star bits is just not very useful and I feel like they wasted the button. Leave that feature for co-op play. I would rather be able to use the Mario 64 attacks and do stuff like throw shells/shoot fireballs with the B button than just have the ability to shoot those things.

Zek on
  • ham hammerham hammer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really hate reading this thread because I'm not getting Galaxy for another week. Is it worth buying, or could I beat the whole thing with a rent?

ham hammer on
    opprod84178lx5.jpg
    pokemon pearl friend code- 4897-2782-3202
    edited November 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Jesus, when is this "oh, you could do that on a regular controller" argument going to die? I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the Wii isn't just about completely unique gameplay experiences. Not every game has to re-invent the genre. Some things that can be done with regular controls are more fun with waggle. Sure you could just press a button to spin, but I find it more fun to shake the remote, it's just more visceral. Collecting star bits with the pointer is vastly more fun than running all over the place to scoop the things up. And the little features like the bubble or the magnet star things are just more enjoyable with the pointer even if it's not completely necessary.

My only complaint with the controls is their use of the B button. Shooting stuff with star bits is just not very useful and I feel like they wasted the button. Leave that feature for co-op play. I would rather be able to use the Mario 64 attacks and do stuff like throw shells/shoot fireballs with the B button than just have the ability to shoot those things.

Actually, what happaned is I said that I would prefer to play it with a regular controller, as in me.

Then NGN said that you wouldnt be able to play Galaxy with a regular controller and I disagreed and explained why.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Oh and I had a pretty funny glitch just now while playing the first Bowser battle, he jumped too high I guess and just floated away from the planetoid and drifted away, I had to restart the level.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man that's weird

Edit: Also I just faced Bowser for the second time and I am positively in love with the game

TheySlashThem on
    edited November 2007
    But also funny

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No I have to vehemently disagree here let me go find a crossed arms emoticon.

emot-colbert.gif

for the good of the community and all that

Anime Owns on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Jesus, when is this "oh, you could do that on a regular controller" argument going to die? I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the Wii isn't just about completely unique gameplay experiences.

Maybe it's because Nintendo did things like shout "NEW WAYS TO PLAY" and publicly codename the console "Revolution" and state that they were going to change the way that games are played for months and months and months.

Defender on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lurker wrote:
    I get a special kick out of the idea of AC sucking because Defender was using it as an example of why the Wii sucked in one of the early threads. Basically, since the Wii would be technologically incapable of playing such a revolutionary game the Wii sucked.

Special "fuck you" to one of my favorite dumb jackoffs here. I saw this but the thread was locked so I had to dig it up later (now).

The Wii does, in terms of tech, suck. Assassin's Creed has, apparently, the flaw of being really awesome for an hour, then repetitive for the next 9-14 hours. Ubisoft did some dumb shit like revealing the "it's a Matrix-like simulation" twist before the game even came out...and if you missed it in the pre-release, it's revealed in the first five minutes anyway, so it's not even a spoiler. They did other dumb shit like make every mission follow the same structure, and cheese up the AI in noticeable ways.

So they botched something, which is (somewhat) unexpected from the PoP team. The sequel might not botch it, in which case the argument still works, and besides, the point is that the hardware couldn't even run the game or games like it in the first place.

But fuck AC, all I have to do to patch up that argument is switch off to a different game. Say, MGS4. There. Same argument, except this time with a game that is almost certain not to disappoint.

And you know, if you don't want a game that's not yet out, try Bioshock. Bioshock can't run on the Wii. GTA4 can't run on the Wii. Ratchet & Clank can't run on the Wii. Pretty much any game that does "new" stuff like have giant cities and beautiful imagery cannot run on the Wii.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.