As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here's Your God Damn Wii Thread (Updated OP)

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't think giant cities or beautiful imagery are all that new, Defender.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i think that's what he was saying

with the quotation marks

potatoe on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh right

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man I get what everyone is saying but I am loving AC to death.

When I feel like climbing shit, I climb shit.

When I feel like getting into fistfights, by golly you had better put up your dukes, ruffian!

And assassinating is so much fun.

Javen on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Jesus, when is this "oh, you could do that on a regular controller" argument going to die? I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the Wii isn't just about completely unique gameplay experiences.

Maybe it's because Nintendo did things like shout "NEW WAYS TO PLAY" and publicly codename the console "Revolution" and state that they were going to change the way that games are played for months and months and months.

Well, they kind of did. Motion sensing in the standard controller is a new feature in consoles. Just because they didn't instantly sweep away pushbutton controls doesn't mean they haven't increased the options game designers have for utilising player input. The Wii hasn't got it completely right yet, and there's a chance they never will, but they've made an innovation that I believe is here to stay.

Butler on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's weird watching my girlfriend play Mario. She rocked Mario Sunshine so she's not bad at the game, she just plays it really slowly.

I get to an area and immediately recognize, okay, I need to do this, let's go.

She gets to an area, she has to engage and kill every enemy, even if they're killing her. Then she wants to search every bush for Star bits. She has to collect every star bit she sees. And explores every little nook and cranny when the objective is right in front of her.

That's not a bad way to play the game, but I'm so impatient I'm thinking, "JUST HIT THE SWITCH AND GO"

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Javen wrote: »

When I feel like getting into fistfights, by golly you had better put up your dukes, ruffian!

How far have you played? We all know there are nine assassinations...how many did you do?

I want to see if it becomes repetitive after about 3.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Butler wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Jesus, when is this "oh, you could do that on a regular controller" argument going to die? I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that the Wii isn't just about completely unique gameplay experiences.

Maybe it's because Nintendo did things like shout "NEW WAYS TO PLAY" and publicly codename the console "Revolution" and state that they were going to change the way that games are played for months and months and months.

Well, they kind of did. Motion sensing in the standard controller is a new feature in consoles. Just because they didn't instantly sweep away pushbutton controls doesn't mean they haven't increased the options game designers have for utilising player input. The Wii hasn't got it completely right yet, and there's a chance they never will, but they've made an innovation that I believe is here to stay.

OK, that's true, motion-sensing is an experimental idea. I say "experimental" because it hasn't really really been shown to work.

And no, I don't care how good UR MR GAY is, that's ONE GAME. It needs to work for LOTS of games, just like how "floor mat" isn't a real evolution in gaming just because of DDR; "floor mat" is not opening lots of new doors, it's a novelty device for a small number of novelty games. So I'd still consider it, you know, on probation. But yeah, that aside, there is one experimental feature. It has yet to work, but it's far too soon to close up the casket.

Defender on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007

How far have you played? We all know there are nine assassinations...how many did you do?

I'm guessing there are 9 "major" assassinations

You can do it to soldiers and stuff if you feel like it, though

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I'm guessing there are 9 "major" assassinations

You can do it to soldiers and stuff if you feel like it, though

Yeah, I'm talking about big-deal targets, not just grunts you can pick off. I'm basically trying to break the game into missions so we can see how far in he gets before it gets repetitive, or if it doesn't get repetitive.

EDIT: Also, this isn't much of a guess, Ubisoft has been saying that there are exactly nine of them, and that each city is divided into poor, middle-class, and wealthy, with one target in each. Several reviewers have confirmed this. So it'd be a surprise if it were inaccurate.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I just killed the fifth man before I stopped playing.

It's true that there are only like, six activities you can engage in (assassinating, climbing, fighting, saving citizens, gathering info, exploring) but it's that none of these things have gotten boring yet, and if one of them does get boring, I can just do another thing.

I guess it depends which way to want to approach the game.

For me, I don't ride into a city then make up a to-do list (okay, first I'll save citizens, then I'll climb,) etc. I just kind of do whatever I feel like doing at the time. It seems like a lot of people are viewing each assassination as a "level" in and of itself, and just going through the motions like that. Which really isn't, I think, the best way to go about it.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It's true that there are only like, six activities you can engage in (assassinating, climbing, fighting, saving citizens, gathering info, exploring) but it's that none of these things have gotten boring yet, and if one of them does get boring, I can just do another thing.

For me, I don't ride into a city then make up a to-do list (okay, first I'll save citizens, then I'll climb,) etc. I just kind of do whatever I feel like doing at the time. It seems like a lot of people are viewing each assassination as a "level" in and of itself, and just going through the motions like that. Which really isn't, I think, the best way to go about it.

Ah, but I hear that they don't let you get into some areas of the city until you've completed certain assassinations.

So that would mean that the "level" structure is correct.

Please tell me if you have free run of the whole place right from the start, because some reviewers specifically said that you don't.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Ah, but I hear that they don't let you get into some areas of the city until you've completed certain assassinations.

So that would mean that the "level" structure is correct.

Please tell me if you have free run of the whole place right from the start, because some reviewers specifically said that you don't.

I would occasionally hit a "you can't go here yet" until I beat the third guy (which is really when the tutorial section stops) and after that I've been able to go wherever I please.

Javen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    And you know, if you don't want a game that's not yet out, try Bioshock. Bioshock can't run on the Wii. GTA4 can't run on the Wii. Ratchet & Clank can't run on the Wii. Pretty much any game that does "new" stuff like have giant cities and beautiful imagery cannot run on the Wii.

I would like to point out Skate. Skate can't run on the Wii both because of the graphics and because of the control scheme. It brought a completely fresh way of playing a game while still using a standard controller.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I mean the game has it's problems; no matter how you approach the game those AI problems will still be there, but man I am loving the shit out of this game regardless.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    And you know, if you don't want a game that's not yet out, try Bioshock. Bioshock can't run on the Wii. GTA4 can't run on the Wii. Ratchet & Clank can't run on the Wii. Pretty much any game that does "new" stuff like have giant cities and beautiful imagery cannot run on the Wii.

I would like to point out Skate. Skate can't run on the Wii both because of the graphics and because of the control scheme. It brought a completely fresh way of playing a game while still using a standard controller.

Yeah...I agree that there's cool stuff that motion sensing can do. And straight mental input would be the absolute coolest, or full-body control.

But we haven't come to the end of all creativity for standard controllers. For that matter, if tech had stopped at the PS1, we'd probably still be creating new games with new ideas.

The thing is, we are constantly opening new doors by creating new technology. It seems, at this particular moment, that the doors opened by good online systems, big internal hard drives, high-storage disc media, and high-def graphics with super-powerful processors and tons of memory are greater than the advances that we get from controllers that combine sticks, buttons, motion-sensing, and pointing.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I mean the game has it's problems; no matter how you approach the game those AI problems will still be there, but man I am loving the shit out of this game regardless.

OK, that's interesting.

I've been thinking for the last week or so "this is a game that maybe one should rent and not buy."

I tend to get a lot of use out of games, like, more than one hour of play per dollar. I'd be interested to see how long this game lasts...Because if it's ten hours or fifteen hours and has no replay value, that's a rental. If it's worth replaying, like, four times...that is a purchase.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

OK, that's interesting.

I've been thinking for the last week or so "this is a game that maybe one should rent and not buy."

I tend to get a lot of use out of games, like, more than one hour of play per dollar. I'd be interested to see how long this game lasts...Because if it's ten hours or fifteen hours and has no replay value, that's a rental. If it's worth replaying, like, four times...that is a purchase.

It's a game I can really see myself coming back to, maybe because of the emphasis on "how" you approach a situation.

For example, my third assassination I handled very sloppily. I was spotted early, had a hard time dispatching the guards, and the actual assassination was very haphazard and poor. To punish me, the game totally fucked up my life. The game rewards you for performing professionally, and rapes you for bumbling around. Plus, the story and dialogue (also I am quite fond of the time period in which the simulation takes place) will keep it interesting, despite that fact that that I've heard it before. Since it's a very polarizing game I would probably recommend a rental before I'd advocate spending sixty dollars, though.

Javen on
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lurker wrote:
    I get a special kick out of the idea of AC sucking because Defender was using it as an example of why the Wii sucked in one of the early threads. Basically, since the Wii would be technologically incapable of playing such a revolutionary game the Wii sucked.

Special "fuck you" to one of my favorite dumb jackoffs here. I saw this but the thread was locked so I had to dig it up later (now).

The Wii does, in terms of tech, suck. Assassin's Creed has, apparently, the flaw of being really awesome for an hour, then repetitive for the next 9-14 hours. Ubisoft did some dumb shit like revealing the "it's a Matrix-like simulation" twist before the game even came out...and if you missed it in the pre-release, it's revealed in the first five minutes anyway, so it's not even a spoiler. They did other dumb shit like make every mission follow the same structure, and cheese up the AI in noticeable ways.

So they botched something, which is (somewhat) unexpected from the PoP team. The sequel might not botch it, in which case the argument still works, and besides, the point is that the hardware couldn't even run the game or games like it in the first place.

But fuck AC, all I have to do to patch up that argument is switch off to a different game. Say, MGS4. There. Same argument, except this time with a game that is almost certain not to disappoint.

Oh, I get what you were saying.

I just found it amusing that one of the games you gave as an example for why the Wii sucks ended up not being that great despite all its great tech.

I also realize I'm your favorite. You've made that very clear with the way you quote just about everyone of my posts whether they are antagonizing in anyway or not.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man it's like Defender just has to shit on the Wii until the day it becomes entirely forgotten. Talking about it in the past eight threads wasn't enough, I guess.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    It's weird watching my girlfriend play Mario. She rocked Mario Sunshine so she's not bad at the game, she just plays it really slowly.

She gets to an area, she has to engage and kill every enemy, even if they're killing her. Then she wants to search every bush for Star bits. She has to collect every star bit she sees. And explores every little nook and cranny when the objective is right in front of her.

That's not a bad way to play the game, but I'm so impatient I'm thinking, "JUST HIT THE SWITCH AND GO"

Haha, I play video games exactly like your girlfriend. A lot of the time I recognize the goal of the level and purposefully avoid it in order to explore everything else that can be explored. I always save what beats the level/advances the story/etc for last.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He's been doing this for damn near a year now. It's getting a tad repetitive.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went and got Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4 Wii version and got 35 dollars back

Coolies!

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, just a tad.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    You just finished what, Bryyo?

Yeah, you should look forward to the next planet, it's cool.

Yeah I just spent two hours in Elysia. Cured the Aurora unit and I think I'm now going after the other bounty hunter, whatshisname.
    That planet is pretty awesome looking. Very creative design, and I really like those dumb little robots that just keep walking at you in a straight line.

Iskander on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Wiimote seems really good for FPSs.

Of course I am by no means an expert in video games from either a design or play stand point and I am basically basing it off Metroid Prime 3, but it's frustrating to switch from MP3 to Halo. Halo's not a bad game, but the aiming seems so much more awkward.

I dunno, maybe the Wii can't do it, people keep mentioning hardware issues, but my thought is that motion controllers would be a good idea for console FPSs in the future.

Seriously on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seriously wrote: »
    The Wiimote seems really good for FPSs.

Of course I am by no means an expert in video games from either a design or play stand point and I am basically basing it off Metroid Prime 3, but it's frustrating to switch from MP3 to Halo. Halo's not a bad game, but the aiming seems so much more awkward.

I dunno, maybe the Wii can't do it, people keep mentioning hardware issues, but my thought is that motion controllers would be a good idea for console FPSs in the future.

I really think the nunchuck/Wiimote combination lends itself best to FPS games. After playing MP3 for a couple hours I even found it hard to go back to the mouse+keyboard controls on CoD4, which I previously thought were the pinnacle of FPS controls.

And from what I hear MoH:Heroes2 built on the MP3 controls and made them even better.

Iskander on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »

Haha, I play video games exactly like your girlfriend. A lot of the time I recognize the goal of the level and purposefully avoid it in order to explore everything else that can be explored. I always save what beats the level/advances the story/etc for last.

I can't stand watching people play games like this. It's so frustrating.

Shorty on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I do that sometimes.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    there's a really interesting guest post about the Wii over at N'Gai Croal's blog, basically pointing out everything i've been saying about the Wii's control setup. if nothing else, it's a good read.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    MusashiMusashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    there's a really interesting guest post about the Wii over at N'Gai Croal's blog, basically pointing out everything i've been saying about the Wii's control setup. if nothing else, it's a good read.

I've read most of the article and I'm not very impressed with it. His conclusions are weak at best and he does not do a very good job of backing up his point by presenting some false information.

Take for instance his button counting section, where Sony has a 20 button controller and Nintendo has a 12 button controller. First, he counts the Nintendo d-pad and one button while the Sony one as four buttons. This is just flatly wrong, both are four or one, the author can't have it both ways. So if we start counting d-pads as 4 Nintendo is up to 15. He also counts the Home button on the PS3 but fails to count it on the Nintendo so now we are at 16. Next, the pointer is a separate function so that is 17 buttons. Lastly, he only counts one "waggle" control when really both the nunchuck and remote waggle so 18 buttons. This is without even arguing that counting a range of motion in 3d space as one button.

I have a hard time trusting opinions when you blatantly misrepresent data. I could go into more details about his point about SF2 or his argument about games "should just be fun" but I'm not Defender and I'm sure he'll want to bitch about this article as well.

Musashi on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Musashi wrote: »

I've read most of the article and I'm not very impressed with it. His conclusions are weak at best and he does not do a very good job of backing up his point by presenting some false information.

Take for instance his button counting section, where Sony has a 20 button controller and Nintendo has a 12 button controller. First, he counts the Nintendo d-pad and one button while the Sony one as four buttons. This is just flatly wrong, both are four or one, the author can't have it both ways. So if we start counting d-pads as 4 Nintendo is up to 15. He also counts the Home button on the PS3 but fails to count it on the Nintendo so now we are at 16. Next, the pointer is a separate function so that is 17 buttons. Lastly, he only counts one "waggle" control when really both the nunchuck and remote waggle so 18 buttons. This is without even arguing that counting a range of motion in 3d space as one button.

I have a hard time trusting opinions when you blatantly misrepresent data. I could go into more details about his point about SF2 or his argument about games "should just be fun" but I'm not Defender and I'm sure he'll want to bitch about this article as well.

Or are you

?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

err, the "motion control" is counted as one input (if you want to nitpick, then sure, there's one extra "waggle" input for the nunchuk). also, the sixaxis has analog inputs tied to each of the d-pad directions, so there are more inputs on the Sixaxis versus the Wiimote.

you're double-counting motion controls and "3d space" controls as two things when they're really the same thing. Harris also points out something critical: "many Wii games rarely use more than motion sensing and a few buttons." i'd argue that the spatial design of the buttons emphasize this, and that the majority of Wii games out there now show this in practice.
    in for a penny, in for a pound. he's not misrepresenting anything, he was mitigating an argument and was factually correct. fine, you're not Defender. but even if the rest of Harris' argument could very well invalidate yours, you don't want address the rest of his points?

t Javen: if this was a Defender alt, we'd know it. that's a compliment to Defender, too. it'd be a cogent argument (well, couched in scathing remarks, but there'd still be a good argument).

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

err, the "motion control" is counted as one input (if you want to nitpick, then sure, there's one extra "waggle" input for the nunchuk). also, the sixaxis has analog inputs tied to each of the d-pad directions, so there are more inputs on the Sixaxis versus the Wiimote.

you're double-counting motion controls and "3d space" controls as two things when they're really the same thing. Harris also points out something critical: "many Wii games rarely use more than motion sensing and a few buttons." i'd argue that the spatial design of the buttons emphasize this, and that the majority of Wii games out there now show this in practice.
    in for a penny, in for a pound. he's not misrepresenting anything, he was mitigating an argument and was factually correct. fine, you're not Defender. but even if the rest of Harris' argument could very well invalidate yours, you don't want address the rest of his points?

t Javen: if this was a Defender alt, we'd know it. that's a compliment to Defender, too. it'd be a cogent argument (well, couched in scathing remarks, but there'd still be a good argument).

It dosen't fucking matter if the sixaxis d-pad has seperate inputs or not, the functionality is the same as the Wiimote dpad, counting it as 4 times as many buttons is misrepresentation.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    well, physically, the d-pad buttons on the PS1-2 controllers are actually 1 button, inset into the controller, with plastic over to to make it look like 4 buttons

i'm not sure how the PS3 controller is, but that's the old ones

(damn you wii, i had to change all of my instances of "remote" to "controller" in that)

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It dosen't fucking matter if the sixaxis d-pad has seperate inputs or not, the functionality is the same as the Wiimote dpad, counting it as 4 times as many buttons is misrepresentation.

what?

have you played MGS2 or 3? that's a valid example. the control scheme is tight in those games, i'll definitely agree. but IN ADDITION TO directional inputs on the d-pad, you also have analog "pressure" inputs as well, which translate into different moves for Snake. that is by definition a "different" function than the normal directional pad and adds complexity which the guy is arguing is great for hardcore gamers but not always so great for the mainstream.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    MusashiMusashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The major point of the paper is that the Wii controller has few buttons therefore it is better. To prove his point he counts the buttons on each controller. My point is the author is being inconsistent with the method he counting buttons on each of the controller artificially reducing the amount of buttons on the Wii controller. You can't count the PS3 d-pad as 4 buttons and the Nintendo d-pad as 1, functionally they are the same. Since this is the crux of the paper and it is wrong, why should I believe the rest of what he is writing, when I already know he presents incorrect information.

Maybe if he just stuck to motion controls are more intuitive, then I might take more seriously what the author is saying.

Edit: I was not recounting motion control. The Wiimotes has one control and the Nunchuck has one, they both act independently of each other so by his method of counting that should be 2.

Musashi on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The major point of the paper is that the Wii controller has few buttons therefore it is better.
    no it's not. read the article again.

his main argument is that current controls and game design promote complexity in games as a boon, and while that's great for a lot of hardcore gamers, it's not so great for people new to games or to a more general audience.

he brings up the design differences between the sixaxis/dualshock and the wiimote to demonstrate the differences in game design philosophies.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just for the record I think the six axis and dual shock are awful controllers.

But I still don't agree with this dude.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.