As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amazon voting deals

werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
It's the holidays, so that means a return of the Amazon customer vote.

The basic idea is Amazon offers insane deals on 3 items, with quantities of 1000 each, and leaves a poll online for a week. At the end of the week 1000 random people who voted for the winning item are given the opportunity to buy the item at the deal price, and 1000 people from each of the losing groups are given the opportunity to buy the item they voted for at a lesser, but still steep, discount.

Some people might remember the fantastic deal Amazon offered in their first vote last year, a $99 core X-Box 360. That's back (this time the Arcade version), with the kicker that the other two items are a $79 Wii and a $139 PS3 (40Gb).

The current results are 55% Wii, 32% PS3, and 13% 360.

So here's a chance to get a dirt cheap Wii, or a large discount on one of the other two systems. Vote away, and good luck come drawing time.

EDIT: This is only the first round of voting. There are six categories along the tp of the page. Each has three different items, different quantities, and a different end date. You can vote in all of them now, but you can't change your vote once it's cast.

werehippy on

• TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man I hope that PS3 wins. It'd be awesome to get it at that price.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    come'on folks, PS3 time.

The Wii is cheap enough as it is, but the PS3 for <$150 is awesome.

Evander on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    $80 Wii is nice, but

Holy cow that 46" Samsung for $720 is insane. That's like half the price of Black Friday deals. I'd pretty much give away my Wii for a chance to buy that set.

Interesting that the HD-DVD player has nearly twice the votes of the Blu-Ray.

BubbaT on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I voted for the Wii... That'd be a great Christmas gift.

And the HD-DVD player.

And the Samsung HDTV.

urahonky on
  • AuraAura Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm english. How would this apply to me? I'm supposing it would be an American console, but is this for sure? cos £50 for a 360, £40 for a Wii or £70 for a PS3 is pretty damn good.

Aura on
    I broke something
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Last year you got the option to buy the thing you voted on even if it didn't win. It was a little bit higher price than the 'if it woulda won' price, but it was still cheaper than normal. I'm saying this cause if they offer me a PS3 at $200 I might be tempter enough to buy it.

Burtletoy on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    not the ps3 model I'd want ideally, but for that price I'd take it :D.

and the tv, and the HD tivo. don't need bluray if I get the ps3 (ever) and hddvd is already crazy cheap at some stores.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What were the runner-up discounts like last time around? I'm wondering if I should vote for the last place item because it would give me a 4x greater chance of being selected in the respective group of 1000.

Orogogus on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wii GET!

Samsung GET!

Fatty McBeardo on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Last year you got the option to buy the thing you voted on even if it didn't win. It was a little bit higher price than the 'if it woulda won' price, but it was still cheaper than normal. I'm saying this cause if they offer me a PS3 at $200 I might be tempter enough to buy it.

Yeah they are doing this again, I mentioned it in the OP but it's buried in the other stuff.

It's why I voted for the 360. The Wii is basically a lock to win, but getting a 360 for $130-150 is too tempting to pass up.

werehippy on
    edited November 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    What were the runner-up discounts like last time around? I'm wondering if I should vote for the last place item because it would give me a 4x greater chance of being selected in the respective group of 1000.

I seem to recall it being still in the ball park of the deal, the discount was something like 10-15% less. So instead of 75% off you'd get it it for around 60% off.

Still great deals.

werehippy on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went with the PS3, since it's the only one I don't have. And yes, that Samsung 46" LCD would be fucking sick to win, especially since I'm in the market for an HDTV and I'm tearing my hair out over prices and specs.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I Went with the PS3 since it's the only one I don't have also. That model isn't that great, but I'd definately buy it at that price point.

I also went for the GPS unit on round 5, because I already have a laptop, as crappy as it is, and I don't really have a use for diamond studs. I guess I could gift them, but I hate giving jewelry that won't be worn often.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • RPGeekRPGeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aura wrote: »
    I'm english. How would this apply to me? I'm supposing it would be an American console, but is this for sure? cos £50 for a 360, £40 for a Wii or £70 for a PS3 is pretty damn good.
    Sorry, but I'm guessing they don't ship these handsome gizmos out of the US. I have an import Wii and I've tried ordering some stuff from amazon.com, but nooo. At best, you could order it through a friend across the dam, I guess? (And don't forget to buy a step-down converter)

RPGeek on
  • fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I voted for the roomba D:

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I voted for the PS3 as it's the only one I don't have. I voted for the mixer in that last one. I have an HDTV, and it'd make a great present for my mother.

twmjr on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm being a selfish bastard and voting for the PS3 also. I'd gladly pay that for some Ratchet and Clank action.

The Wii offer will probably win, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    boo wii booooo

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    I voted for Dukakis.

The ballot was confusing.

Aroduc on
    edited November 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I voted for Dukakis.

The ballot was confusing.

You win. Seriously... Haha!

urahonky on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went PS3, camcorder, razor scooter, tivo, laptop, and roomba.... how cool it will be to play the PS3 on my tv I already have, get bored, and film some razor scooter acrobatics while my vaccum cleans my floor for me and my tivo records my shows. Then I can upload everything to my laptop and let y'all see it. It's the fantasy life man, the fantasy life.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They're not offering 1000 of EACH item, only 1000 of each of the consoles. The Samsung, for instance, will only be offered to 200 people.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
    edited November 2007
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    They're not offering 1000 of EACH item, only 1000 of each of the consoles. The Samsung, for instance, will only be offered to 200 people.

Good point. I'll mention it in the OP.

werehippy on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I voted for a PS3 since I already have a Wii and I want to play Ratchet & Clank.

SteevL on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    forget the PS3, I want an Eyeclops!

Evander on
  • Palmer EldritchPalmer Eldritch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    last time I checked amazon.com didn't ship consoles to Canada, is this still true?

Palmer Eldritch on
    Dr+Dopefish.png
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I find it interesting that the HD-DVD player is winning by such a large margin over Blu-Ray. Now its only percentages, so actual numbers arent listed as far as I know, but 22% gap (as of this writing) is pretty substantial.

Also, why would anyone vote for an Xbox 360 Arcade? The vote seemed rigged against the Xbox from the start compared to a 40GB PS3 and a cheap, typically sold out, Wii. They could have at least sprung for a 20GB model 360.

KVW on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I voted for the 360, as I'd probably buy it for anything less than 200 or so, though I realize I'd have to buy a HDD for it...

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Of course many, many people will vote in this, but I wonder just how many. Plenty of people I know just go pshaw at non-guarantee promotions, so.

Of course your chance of scoring (even the lesser discount) isn't 1 in 1 or even 1 in 10... but I wonder just what it is. It's not like the lottery.

Organichu on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    Of course many, many people will vote in this, but I wonder just how many. Plenty of people I know just go pshaw at non-guarantee promotions, so.

Of course your chance of scoring (even the lesser discount) isn't 1 in 1 or even 1 in 10... but I wonder just what it is. It's not like the lottery.

Last year, the Xbox 360 was like $100 I think (a 20 gig model if i recall) and it sold out in like 5 seconds flat and resulted in every other draw becoming a lottery since everyone complained of a wanged server that they couldnt connect to in order to buy the 100 or whatever amount of stock they had.

Will it be similar this year? Not sure, but take that as a reminder that people like free or damn cheap things on the interweb.

KVW on
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not sure if these can be shipped to Canada or not. I still voted.

KimFidler on
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are they doing something more intelligent than last year where everyone had to pound the server at exactly one time during the day to have any chance of getting the system?

Edit: Looks like they're doing some random system. Also looks like "You can only vote once this round, and you only have a chance to be offered a deal on the item you vote for", so you'll have to be in the majority.

ikillkenny on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The deals for the "losing"systems aren't very good: $80 off the PS3 and $60 off the Xbox 360

cytorak on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cytorak wrote: »
    The deals for the "losing"systems aren't very good: $80 off the PS3 and $60 off the Xbox 360

In fact, every one of the losing products will be offered at 20% off. So there's the risk...vote for the most popular item and have virtually no chance of being picked, or vote for the least popular item and wind up with a not-so-great discount.

Doctor Detroit on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn. I wanted a 360 but the Wii is getting major votage. Too bad I already have a Wii...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    last time I checked amazon.com didn't ship consoles to Canada, is this still true?

I got one of the core systems during last year's deal and had to have it shipped to an address in the US, yeah.

I'm in Toronto....

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, so there's a slight chance I could get a 40GB PS3 for $319. Hmmmm.

SteevL on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So did anyone actually get selected for the deal today? If you do (today or in the next few days) let us know. I'd like to see some people actually get in on one of these deals.

That's a great price for the Wii. $80? Crazy.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited November 2007
    I failed. :(

urahonky on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As did I.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.