As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube (G&T edition)

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Well that just sounds like your fault then.

Call ahead.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Have you ever played an actual pokemon game or just the mobile version? If so which ones and if not why not? You seem to be enjoying pokemon go.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Speaking of not deleting accounts on request: I feel like I remember stories of people who wanted to run for political office who had accounts scrubbed. Is that like, a special circumstance or is that something that you don't do anymore?

To put it in perspective, I am firmly of the idea that you really shouldn't say things online that you wouldn't be okay being traced back to you, but I know some people here start posting when they are very young (and I believe some countries have a "right to forget", even, which I honestly don't know how that works with social stuff).

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Is the Christmas time merged forum easier to deal with than the separate forums? I suspect it is easier to manage the smaller number of threads, but are the people better or less behaved on average?

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    On the subject of forum culture The Glorious Edict is a goddamn master stroke. Talk about cutting the Gordian knot. How'd you come up with that? Did you steal it, or was it delivered by epiphany from on high?

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Just want to say, as someone who barely posts anymore do to real life sucking, that this place is a really cool place on the interweb and even just lurking usually brightens my day at least a little. And since you're in charge you get the credit.

So thank you. Remember the next time someone act's pissy that at least some of us appreciate your hard work.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Was your 3 hours of messages back and forth Cronyx? You can just nod at your monitor and I'll get the message. I still like to go to the itt lesbians thread and re-read it every once in awhile.

Technically the messages were with his LARP character.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What is your nerdiest personal anecdote?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Delmain wrote: »
    Speaking of not deleting accounts on request: I feel like I remember stories of people who wanted to run for political office who had accounts scrubbed. Is that like, a special circumstance or is that something that you don't do anymore?

To put it in perspective, I am firmly of the idea that you really shouldn't say things online that you wouldn't be okay being traced back to you, but I know some people here start posting when they are very young (and I believe some countries have a "right to forget", even, which I honestly don't know how that works with social stuff).

That happened one time, it's pretty much my minimum standard. I honestly don't know if I'd even do it now, because if you're running for office maybe the public get to root through your shit a little bit. If someone files a right to forget we'd comply if we have to.
    Kipling wrote: »
    Is the Christmas time merged forum easier to deal with than the separate forums? I suspect it is easier to manage the smaller number of threads, but are the people better or less behaved on average?

Yeah it's a little easier. The only real problems are the fucking whiny people who complain that they don't get their free entertainment exactly how they want it for four days of the goddamn year. The plus side is that those people are Fun To Fuck With.
    Drake wrote: »
    On the subject of forum culture The Glorious Edict is a goddamn master stroke. Talk about cutting the Gordian knot. How'd you come up with that? Did you steal it, or was it delivered by epiphany from on high?

I can't honestly remember, other than the fact that the name was largely derived from Jade Empire.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    More of a technical question than one relating to the forum community, why do some links open a new tab, but other links will take me to the site in the same tab?

• Options
    I have no idea. It's a config setting somewhere but it should work the same globally.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    This seems like a relevant fact for this forum:

Lesson2862.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    This is the only forum I'm aware of that isn't a complete shitshow. I've been a member of a music forum for almost 12 years that at one point would have hundreds of people online, there were IRL meetups and some of the people from that place were at my wedding. It was everything you could want in an online community. Now it's down to about 15 regulars who just insult each other in every thread, regardless of the topic. It's a good metaphor for the internet in general.

I'm not sure who to thank for this, but thanks. To the mods, the posters, and whoever else. This place is a marvelous exception.

I can think of a couple others, but they're smaller ones. Still, the theme of "good mods" is the same.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    Have you ever played an actual pokemon game or just the mobile version? If so which ones and if not why not? You seem to be enjoying pokemon go.

I played them all since B&W, but I'm not a super obsessive. I always go in thinking "this is it, I'ma finish my poogle dex" and it never happens.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

A guy at PAX told me that he based his D&D character on me, I thought that was pretty nerdy (and sweet). I don't know, my barometer for nerdy is pretty poorly calibrated by this point.

I guess last week my roommate (who had never played games until last year) was in the middle of a marathon Mass Effect session and tried to ask if I wanted to go and get coffee. It came out as "how are you on ammo?".

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

I played them all since B&W, but I'm not a super obsessive. I always go in thinking "this is it, I'ma finish my poogle dex" and it never happens.

story of my life

(except I played all of them)

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Whats the best exercise for gaining core strength? I'm looking to start some Boxing training soon, and I want to compliment my lifting pattern with some abdominal work.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What's your favorite TV show?

• Options
    Roz wrote: »
    Whats the best exercise for gaining core strength? I'm looking to start some Boxing training soon, and I want to compliment my lifting pattern with some abdominal work.

You want a six pack. Admit it and I'll answer the question, but no one in the history of time has ever asked about core strength and not meant "I want a six pack".
    cB557 wrote: »

Sorry to be mister cool guy but it's probably The Wire or Breaking Bad.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    What's your favorite type of M&M?

(if you like/can have them, no disrespect to diabetics)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Peanut Butter. Sometimes plain wins out, but it's mostly peanut butter.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've seen in the past that you're critical of the AAA video game default of the protagonist being the one and only hero that can save the world. I'm curious what kind of narrative you would put in it's place?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

You want a six pack. Admit it and I'll answer the question, but no one in the history of time has ever asked about core strength and not meant "I want a six pack".

okay I'll admit it, when I say core strength I mean I want a six pack

How do I get it Tube

mold my weak flesh

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

I've already hit muscle to fat ratio to have decently defined abs. But getting punched in the gut is still brutal. I've tried doing planks, but I don't feel like I'm getting a lot of out them.

So yes, I want stronger abs!

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

I've already hit muscle to fat ratio to have decently defined abs. But getting punched in the gut is still brutal. I've tried doing planks, but I don't feel like I'm getting a lot of out them.

Flutter kicks are great if planks aren't doing enough.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    I've seen in the past that you're critical of the AAA video game default of the protagonist being the one and only hero that can save the world. I'm curious what kind of narrative you would put in it's place?

Anything but the same thing over and over and over again. The PC being the ultimate badass is the premise of what, 99% of games? I want something else. I'm old enough to play games where I'm not constantly being told I'm the most important person alive any more. If we're accepting that things like sexism can bleed through from pop culture into the psyches of those who consume it I think we should accept that being constantly worshipped and told we're unimpeachable heroes is bleeding through into the insane sense of entitlement we see in many areas of the games community.

Getting punched hurts dude, that's working as intended. Front squats and heavy presses might get you to brace better, or you could start working on some dragon flag progressions. Old school boxing advice is getting someone to drop a medicine ball on your gut while you brace but I have no idea if that actually does anything.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Tube, what are some good additional lifts if my primarily lifts are going to be barbe bench, squat, deadlift, and pendeley row, and overhead press? And what's your opinion on 32kg kettlebells

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Anything but the same thing over and over and over again. The PC being the ultimate badass is the premise of what, 99% of games? I want something else. I'm old enough to play games where I'm not constantly being told I'm the most important person alive any more. If we're accepting that things like sexism can bleed through from pop culture into the psyches of those who consume it I think we should accept that being constantly worshipped and told we're unimpeachable heroes is bleeding through into the insane sense of entitlement we see in many areas of the games community.

Yeah I agree with you, it's definitely overplayed. And I never thought about the entitlement seeping through to the community, that does make sense. I could just never think of what could go there instead. DA II tried and people had a fit - but I'll say that while I really appreciated what DA II tried to do, I also didn't feel as strongly positive about that ending as I have about "you just saved the world, space marine" endings. So I'm at a loss as to what can replace the super ace cool dude narrative that will actually be just as engaging as gameplay.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i honestly felt like DA2 was still basically a "you're a destined hero!" plotline, just a lot more reserved in telling you that than the rest of bioware's catalogue

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

okay I'll admit it, when I say core strength I mean I want a six pack

How do I get it Tube

mold my weak flesh

But. Your exoskeleton.

• Options
    i honestly felt like DA2 was still basically a "you're a destined hero!" plotline, just a lot more reserved in telling you that than the rest of bioware's catalogue

Except you didn't have the power to actually change anything. You did have more power than a normal individual, but you didn't have any "the One" sort of powers, where you could end centuries of warfare between factions, or convince a racist to stop being racist, or even to revitalize an industry that had previously gone under. You were just "popular citizen who is pretty good at fighting."

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Yeah I agree with you, it's definitely overplayed. And I never thought about the entitlement seeping through to the community, that does make sense. I could just never think of what could go there instead. DA II tried and people had a fit - but I'll say that while I really appreciated what DA II tried to do, I also didn't feel as strongly positive about that ending as I have about "you just saved the world, space marine" endings. So I'm at a loss as to what can replace the super ace cool dude narrative that will actually be just as engaging as gameplay.
    The XCOM and X-com series might be good examples? XCOM 2 did add stuff about how you're the only person who's enough of a tactical genius to save humanity, but the other games don't have that, and without that the gameplay does a really good job of imparting themes of how everybody is vital and nobody is vital.

• Options
    Tube, given Brexit and the less-than-zero possibility of a gosh darn nationalist American president, how fucked are we all? On a scale of 1 to nuclear annihilation.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

I would disagree with that because of one key point, which I will put below the spoiler. DA I I plot spoilers:
    the whole plot is a series of events that Hawke ultimately has little to no control over, including the capstone failure of the whole Anders gunpowder plot deal. Hawke's involvement in many events could very well have made everything worse. Heck, Inquisition is framed mostly as damage control because Hawke fucked up so bad.

But I mean take that with a grain of salt because I am essentially a one person DA I I defense squad

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

A guy at PAX told me that he based his D&D character on me, I thought that was pretty nerdy (and sweet). I don't know, my barometer for nerdy is pretty poorly calibrated by this point.

I guess last week my roommate (who had never played games until last year) was in the middle of a marathon Mass Effect session and tried to ask if I wanted to go and get coffee. It came out as "how are you on ammo?".

I was playing a lot of Diablo 3 with a friend and I told him to wait a minute I had to equip a blanket because it was cold. It just slipped out. Never going to live it down.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Nice on the Breaking Bad, Tube! Mister cool guy indeed :^:

Also, I think you guys should extend the merged holiday forum. I assume you do it so the admin/mod staff can enjoy the holiday without worrying too much about this place. Make it a whole week or something. I'm sure you guys deserve the break. Plus, mingling with strange new forumers is fun.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Can we have offsite avatars or is it grandfathered in only?

I miss randomness.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tube, what would you say is your favourite creature of myth?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

China Miéville has written some interesting stuff on that, what he calls the "western hero complex" where everything has to end with the hero killing the bad guy, getting the girl, and wandering off into the sunset. "Western" both as the genre of western movies and books, and Western culture.

Here's a piece of one interview.
    It is a book about the depiction of revolutionary fervor, and therefore the book relates to Weather Wrightby and the Mayor as enemies because so do the protagonists. It doesn’t mean that they are snarling, Dickensian pantomime villains. But it’s also the case, as you say, that they don’t necessarily get punished any more than the good get rewarded. Nor necessarily do they get rewarded. The abstract schema of morality fits very imperfectly over what I think of as a kind of concrete morality of political and social circumstances.

In all the books, there is some kind of moral or political resolution, but it always comes at a cost. The story is not about the good getting their rewards and the bad getting punished. The story is about something different from that. I remember someone saying once that they really hated my books because they weren’t “inspiring,” but I just can’t get with this idea that literature is a twelve-step program.

If someone wants to read a book to feel better, and the way they want to feel better is to see that the good people get rewarded and the bad people get punished, that’s fine, but essentially what they want then is a fairy tale. I don’t mean this in really kind of a denigrating fashion, but I don’t think that’s what fiction should necessarily be about. This is in part my reaction against a tendency that has been reasonably strong in fantasy, which is precisely the attempt to depict narratives like fairy tales. Abstract morality has had a fairly strong position in genre fantasy, and so there is still a certain necessity to react against that, and to say that things don’t all necessarily work out well, and the attempt to create a more realistic, more nuanced world is precisely manifested in a world in which you can’t take nice moral lessens for granted.

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    I forget if this was addressed in the other question thread, but is it better to resurrect a long idle thread or start a new one?

This discussion has been closed.