As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Heavensward] /dote on people with this year's Valentione Event!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I hope we get to hear about masked heroes who would get rid of encroaching bombards by jump-kicking them right in the face.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I know it's a dumb discussion that comes up all the time but I think I've finally decided on my personal wish for an expansion class:

Dancer: A TP healer whose main mechanic is that she has buffing positionals based on where she's healing from relative to the target and whose AOE's are stronger right next to someone but then disapate. Combined with mobility options that allow her to leap about the place to make use of those positionals.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Delzhand wrote: »

And here I was spending the last few weeks trying to perfect a superhero costume for my roe.

You're the best, FF14.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    I know it's a dumb discussion that comes up all the time but I think I've finally decided on my personal wish for an expansion class:

Dancer: A TP healer whose main mechanic is that she has buffing positionals based on where she's healing from relative to the target and whose AOE's are stronger right next to someone but then disapate. Combined with mobility options that allow her to leap about the place to make use of those positionals.

That would be pretty sweet.

Add in some DPS moves from the canonical stable, such as Blade Dance or Mincing Minuet, and I think we have a class.

Of course, I've already told you my dream for an expansion tank, being Red Mage making use of skills from the Fencer and Spellblade classes, with a Chainspell mechanic based on taking hits.

I wonder what kind of DPS I'd like to see. I think my impossible dream would be Catmancer or Tinker (Edgar style). Or maybe Gambler, if only to let us have job quests in the gold saucer.

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Now the Yoshi Peaches can do proper poses while doing their maid cafe thing!

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    So, some BLM/THM questions as I approach 30 on the class and play it on POTD:

1) When do I thunder and which thunder do I use? It feels kinda awkward next to the swingy back and forth of ICE and FIRE

2) When do I fire/Ice 3 and when do I transpose?

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, some BLM/THM questions as I approach 30 on the class and play it on POTD:

1) When do I thunder and which thunder do I use? It feels kinda awkward next to the swingy back and forth of ICE and FIRE

2) When do I fire/Ice 3 and when do I transpose?

Someone who has more experience with black mage will be sure to correct me, but essentially you want to cast fire till you're you're OOM (or close to it), then cast Ice 3 to change to ice mode, then Ice till you're full on Mana, then Fire 3 to switch back to fire mode, then cast fire till you're OOM, and repeat. During ice mode, refresh your thunder dot (with Thunder 2) as needed.

If you want super detailed explanations of things, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iws0GeBJv2fJLJOJX4TyywPy6f0x_eR5uHMC8EiyGLI/ is super detailed about how rotations/priorities change as you level up.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Rad.

Also BLM goes from probably one of my least favourite classes from when I had to level it for surecast into something that's actually kinda fun once it gets it's procs and stuff?

I'm not sure I like it more than MNK but I can level BLM without also getting Lancer to 34 and Warrior to Mercy strike levels so it's much better for my sanity in terms of being able to focus.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Rad.

Also BLM goes from probably one of my least favourite classes from when I had to level it for surecast into something that's actually kinda fun once it gets it's procs and stuff?

I'm not sure I like it more than MNK but I can level BLM without also getting Lancer to 34 and Warrior to Mercy strike levels so it's much better for my sanity in terms of being able to focus.

Getting Firestarter and Flare for added burnination does make things more fun.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    The only problem I have playing blm is when you have to do a lot of movement and trying to fit in casts. I never got good enough at mechanics to know when to precast it or when something was gonna happen and have time to cast before said mechanic hits. Its why I prefer Monk for dps over BLM.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    The only problem I have playing blm is when you have to do a lot of movement and trying to fit in casts. I never got good enough at mechanics to know when to precast it or when something was gonna happen and have time to cast before said mechanic hits. Its why I prefer Monk for dps over BLM.

As long as it's not too often, just move and pop swiftcast to fling it on the run.

Of course, I think post-50 BLM starts to really need to stay stationary for full output?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I was packing up for an upcoming move and found this in one of my piles:

RUZxkZn.jpg?1

In hindsight it should have been a giant red flag that the #2 selling feature on the back of the box is daily quests.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    A wide* assortment of activities!

Super Namicchi on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I still remember really liking the original plan to have no levels, and instead you would be upgrading/earning skills for your job.

That sure went out the window fast.

There's a "making of" dvd in there I've never watched, I'm sort of curious now.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Can anyone give a rough estimate of the number of hours it would take to complete all the main story quests from the initial end of the sequence, through ARR? So, the quests from the two 8 man groups, up until Heavensward? I also assume that it might be a bad idea to do those quests having not yet purchased heavensward, since they might get me to levels 51-52ish?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Can anyone give a rough estimate of the number of hours it would take to complete all the main story quests from the initial end of the sequence, through ARR? So, the quests from the two 8 man groups, up until Heavensward? I also assume that it might be a bad idea to do those quests having not yet purchased heavensward, since they might get me to levels 51-52ish?

hmm. probably something like 12-15 hours of playtime? I'm not quite sure on how long, so a second opinion is appreciated.

25 hours maximum, I would think.

steam_sig.png
    I had a friend start a new char on Sarg recently and he was in HW within a week. Though he plays an awful lot.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Took me a long weekend, but I also took breaks to craft and stuff because FedEx all day broke my brain a bit.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Jakarrd wrote: »

As long as it's not too often, just move and pop swiftcast to fling it on the run.

Of course, I think post-50 BLM starts to really need to stay stationary for full output?

You can also use your procs to stay mobile as they're instant casts.

Since day one, FFXIV has had this rather annoying problem regarding quest tracking, and I'm surprised they still haven't addressed it.

Basically, any quest that requires you to go to an instanced area (like the Scions' HQ) won't show up on the map or mini-map. The most you'll get is which area said location is in, but you'll never have the quest tracker icon point specifically where you need to go.

This probably isn't a big deal for people who have every location memorized, but for someone like me who A) gets lost in games easily and B) takes long breaks that he forgets where every location is, it's rather annoying.

So, I'm almost at the item level I need for Void Ark, but I've never done a raid before in FF14 (came in right before HW debuted). I don't even know if it is duty finder/puggable. How difficult is Void Ark?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Void Ark is easy. If you really want you could read up on the strats but it's fort he most part its self explanatory. People just seems to plow through it now adays.

And yes when you do the quest to unlock Void Ark you can find it in the Duty Finder list to queue up for.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    These days, not very. Many of the people running Void Ark tend to be people who know it very well and are looking to get materials from completing it again. As such, the alliances you join are quite likely to know the fights well and be able to take you through. Just do a bit of a read-up on the boss fight mechanics, and it should all go fine.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Let's be honest - is anything other than the current highest-iLvl stuff going to need more than "read the boss mechanics and muddle through it"?

I guess maybe "watch a video of the bosses", since sometimes the text doesn't lead to correct expectations (this led to one wipe on ARR story for me when I didn't notice the shield device... and as healer that's BAD)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Let's be honest - is anything other than the current highest-iLvl stuff going to need more than "read the boss mechanics and muddle through it"?

I guess maybe "watch a video of the bosses", since sometimes the text doesn't lead to correct expectations (this led to one wipe on ARR story for me when I didn't notice the shield device... and as healer that's BAD)

You'd be surprised how many times mechanics bite people in the ass.

I have tried many times to read up on a boss fight beforehand, and I just can't ever learn anything without actually experiencing it myself.

I've tried to follow several recommended videos and guides, but my attention span is probably too poor to retain any information. If there was a super-condensed idiot's guide that could be filtered by job (like what to do in this fight if you're a tank), it might help. But I just can't follow along with these guides.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I have tried many times to read up on a boss fight beforehand, and I just can't ever learn anything without actually experiencing it myself.

I've tried to follow several recommended videos and guides, but my attention span is probably too poor to retain any information. If there was a super-condensed idiot's guide that could be filtered by job (like what to do in this fight if you're a tank), it might help. But I just can't follow along with these guides.

oh god. This I would want myself.

I suppose it's a case of, if I want it, I should make it myself.

steam_sig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I still remember really liking the original plan to have no levels, and instead you would be upgrading/earning skills for your job.

And how you'd totally bring non combat classes with you along in groups for dungeons.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

And how you'd totally bring non combat classes with you along in groups for dungeons.

I did plenty of hunts with frying pan in hand.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I did plenty of hunts with frying pan in hand.

Julyan would be proud.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    SE could solve the early puller problem in an instant by giving double rewards to DoL/DoH.

I mean sure, it would take 3 hours to kill an S rank...

You know, one thing that I'd really like in crafting is someway to generate a "to-do" or shopping list. Like, if I want to craft X since its on the GC daily list. So I look up that thing, and I need 2 Y, 1 Z, and 2 of material A. Then, item Y needs 2 B's, and 3 C's. And Z needs 1 D and 1 F. So, it'd be nice if I could just like right click the recipe, and it'd say I need 2 A', 2 B's, 3 C's, 1 D, and 1 F. (And I know I'm asking for a lot here), then I can go call my retainer and it'd move the items that I do have into my inventory. (And not have to hunt around for "which one is rock salt again?") So then I'd know what I need to go to the market for.

I think thats one of my most frustrating things about crafting. Maybe that, and that you can't switch jobs without closing the crafting screen.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You know, one thing that I'd really like in crafting is someway to generate a "to-do" or shopping list. Like, if I want to craft X since its on the GC daily list. So I look up that thing, and I need 2 Y, 1 Z, and 2 of material A. Then, item Y needs 2 B's, and 3 C's. And Z needs 1 D and 1 F. So, it'd be nice if I could just like right click the recipe, and it'd say I need 2 A', 2 B's, 3 C's, 1 D, and 1 F. (And I know I'm asking for a lot here), then I can go call my retainer and it'd move the items that I do have into my inventory. (And not have to hunt around for "which one is rock salt again?") So then I'd know what I need to go to the market for.

I think thats one of my most frustrating things about crafting. Maybe that, and that you can't switch jobs without closing the crafting screen.

Best website ever: http://www.garlandtools.org/db/

Go to tools -> New group, name it
    Click on the Atmos guy so it says "Atmos is pulling in new blocks"
    Search all the stuff you need to craft, click to add it to the list. (Click multiple times and you can add multiple of the same item)
    Swap to the crafting tab, it'll give you everything wrapped up from the crystals to the intermediate parts (crafted cloths and leathers and the like) as well as the purchase/drop/farm locations

And if you anyone ever asks "what are the mats for [whatever], you can go to individual items and there's an actions thing at the top of the crafting tab that lets you copy/paste the list of stuff: Ironworks Cap of Crafting. Gather: 4 Rainbow Cotton Boll, 6 Frost Cotton Boll, Crystallized Sap, Meteorite, 3 Smithsonite Ore, 3 Iron Ore, Light-kissed Aethersand, 3 Glass Fiber, 5 Eikon Fiber, 2 Eikon Metal, 2 Fieldcraft Demimateria III. Craft: 2 Luminous Fiber, Eikon Iron Ingot, 2 Eikon Cloth. [2 Fire Cluster, 11 Lightning Cluster, 2 Water Cluster, 9 Wind Cluster]

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    That's a rad tool. Also for crafters, how viable would it be to just level Culinarian and how expensive would that be? I kinda like the idea of making my own food from a theme perspective but I don't have milions to spend or the desire to level every single crafter.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Again depends totally on what you want to do.
    Just make 1-60 foods not worrying too much about star level crafts? Possible but not very effective. You really want the majority of the level 50 cross-class abilities. At the very least, CRP, BSM, WVR, ALC

Goldsmith is the only critical DoH to get to level 54 if you want to do star level crafts alongside all the other DoHs to 50, but I'd recommend another DoH that isn't GSM/CUL to 54 as well to get a name/brand combination since that forms the crux of a lot of fast crafting options.

The cost in crafting is in melding gear. Not in the levelling, not in the gearing. It's melding. If you stick to the token gear, you'll be OK for the most part as you'll still need to get decent accessories for CP.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

hmm. probably something like 12-15 hours of playtime? I'm not quite sure on how long, so a second opinion is appreciated.

Urph, that's a long time. I suppose if it's 12-15 hours, that'll be over a week if I make an effort, but it seems like it would still be wise to decide that I want HW before starting these.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited August 2016
    Takel wrote: »
    Again depends totally on what you want to do.
    Just make 1-60 foods not worrying too much about star level crafts? Possible but not very effective. You really want the majority of the level 50 cross-class abilities. At the very least, CRP, BSM, WVR, ALC

Goldsmith is the only critical DoH to get to level 54 if you want to do star level crafts alongside all the other DoHs to 50, but I'd recommend another DoH that isn't GSM/CUL to 54 as well to get a name/brand combination since that forms the crux of a lot of fast crafting options.

The cost in crafting is in melding gear. Not in the levelling, not in the gearing. It's melding. If you stick to the token gear, you'll be OK for the most part as you'll still need to get decent accessories for CP.

Urgh, yeah, so guess I'm not crafting anything for some time.

EDIT: Honestly I'm coming to kinda hate cross class skills because they frequently aren't really about choice so much as 'go play this other class you don't care about for a week'.

Albino Bunny on

Urph, that's a long time. I suppose if it's 12-15 hours, that'll be over a week if I make an effort, but it seems like it would still be wise to decide that I want HW before starting these.

I would get through the 2.x stuff (it's very good!) first before you make that decision, because prior to that there is virtually zero value to owning Heavensward.

FWIW, I was a good portion through the 2.x stuff when the expansion hit and I came back and it still took me 15-20 hours (it was something like 100 story quests). It was a little frustrating because all I wanted to do was play an Astrologian.

Hit my first level wall since coming back, as I need to be I-level 200 to access the next story dungeon. Currently I sit at 190, so I need a few upgrades.

Besides running Antitower over and over for the esoterics, what's the quickest upgrade path I could take?

This discussion has been closed.