As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West 2016 [Hotel] Partners are now live!

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    adele822 wrote: »
    The Motif website says they charge a daily $13+tax "resort fee" on top of all of the other local taxes. I can't find mention of that anywhere on my Onpeak reservation so I don't know if I should assume that means we won't be charged anything else? Has anyone stayed there in the past, and was this added on?

It won't show up on the 3rd party booking site. Resort fees are a mandatory charge outside of the listed rate and taxes. The average is $25 and few places can go to $100. It can be above the room rate too. It's totally legal, and seems to have developed because of online booking. Hotel finder sites work by taking a percent of the rate for anybody who books through them. This of course reduces what a hotel would get of course. So hotels are adding a fee not part of the rate so they can recoup the online sites' cuts. I was so mad the first time I hit one of those.

There is a list of Seattle hotels here and what fees they have.

YoungFrey on
  • adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    The Motif website says they charge a daily $13+tax "resort fee" on top of all of the other local taxes. I can't find mention of that anywhere on my Onpeak reservation so I don't know if I should assume that means we won't be charged anything else? Has anyone stayed there in the past, and was this added on?

It won't show up on the 3rd party booking site. Resort fees are a mandatory charge outside of the listed rate and taxes. The average is $25 and few places can go to $100. It can be above the room rate too. It's totally legal, and seems to have developed because of online booking. Hotel finder sites work by taking a percent of the rate for anybody who books through them. This of course reduces what a hotel would get of course. So hotels are adding a fee not part of the rate so they can recoup the online sites' cuts. I was so mad the first time I hit one of those.

Awesome, thanks! I'm used to resort fees because I go to Vegas a lot and it's pretty much standard there, I just hadn't seen it start popping up in other cities. And I wasn't sure how that worked with the 3rd party site. I'm not surprised though that it's happening more, what you said makes sense.

YoungFrey wrote: »

Awesome, thanks! I'm used to resort fees because I go to Vegas a lot and it's pretty much standard there, I just hadn't seen it start popping up in other cities. And I wasn't sure how that worked with the 3rd party site. I'm not surprised though that it's happening more, what you said makes sense.

I didn't see a sizable one on any of the other OnPeak hotels. But I'm very interested in keeping track of whether or not anyone pays one this year, so we can go into next year informed.

• pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up, there are a ton of hotels added to OnPeak now - Lots of them currently have TBD but there are some new hotels listed such as Hotel Monaco, Executive Hotel Pacific, Four Seasons Hotel Seattle and more.

Doesn't look like you can book them yet but if you are missing hotels, refresh that shit.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I saw that too. $659 average daily rate wut?

krae_man on
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    krae_man wrote: »
    I saw that too. $659 average daily rate wut?

Could be just a place holder right now. Keep in mind all of these hotel's daily rates are usually up there, PAX gets us a discount through OnPeak

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • KeibiKeibi Registered User regular
    That's the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Seattle. It's a 5-star hotel on the water - probably not the kind of thing most PAXers are looking for.

Keibi wrote: »
    That's the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Seattle. It's a 5-star hotel on the water - probably not the kind of thing most PAXers are looking for.

Why not go all out and put the $6,000/night presidential suite on onpeak :lol

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Lol looking like SDCC prices here. This is kinda cool but I'm wondering where the heck all these rooms and previously unlisted hotels came from?

• solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Wow, those prices lol...

xg81x9uysw01.png
    edited July 2016
    I noticed the W price jumped up over $400/night. So I proceeded into the booking and it got weird. Over a dozen price options that look like this:
    $326*RAC 2 DBLS :AAA/CAA RATE AAA OR CAA MEMBERSHIP ID REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN. WONDERFUL NON-SMOKING ROOM: W SIGNATURE BED: RATESelect
    But each one has different verbiage. I'd be cautious about booking any of those. It's like the incorrect database got used to populate the site.

YoungFrey on
  • windfallwindfall Registered User regular
    They're probably just the published rates that you'd get from going to the hotel websites. As for why they're showing up through onpeak? Your guess is as good as mine.

• solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Would be epic if it updated with all the prices slashed to similar rates as the other "original" PAX hotels.

xg81x9uysw01.png
    As much as I love being right next to the convention center, if they somehow got group rates for the Four Seasons, then even my laziness probably wouldn't be able to overcome the temptation.

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Does the site allow you to add days to an existing reservation? Like, if HotelX has Thu-Sun available right now, and I book that. Then, later I see that Monday becomes available, can I add that to my existing reservation?

Marino wrote: »
    Does the site allow you to add days to an existing reservation? Like, if HotelX has Thu-Sun available right now, and I book that. Then, later I see that Monday becomes available, can I add that to my existing reservation?

Yes, you can change the check in/check out dates through a drop down menu assuming it's available.

Marino wrote: »

As long as your reservation remains one contiguous stay.

windfall wrote: »
    As much as I love being right next to the convention center, if they somehow got group rates for the Four Seasons, then even my laziness probably wouldn't be able to overcome the temptation.

Looks like our PAX discount is $40 a night since it went down from $659 to $619. Book away and enjoy your opulent stay.

windfall wrote: »

Looks like our PAX discount is $40 a night since it went down from $659 to $619. Book away and enjoy your opulent stay.

Hmm, I keep getting a "There was an issue with the hotel requested" error message when I try to find the rates for Thursday to Monday.

• DagnaDagna Registered User new member
    If I lost my hotel confirmation email what should I do? oooops

• DagnaDagna Registered User new member
    found it. It appears hotel confirmation numbers are not sent out until the week before the event?

Anyone else finding these new hotel listings really distracting? I mean, it's great that there's more options but I wish I could just filter on the "core" block.

Hello All! I posted a little while ago about trying to set up a swap for a Thursday night at the Grand Hyatt, but I have since been lucky enough to get all days but Saturday at the Sheraton, so I'm looking for a new trade! See details below:

I have: Grand Hyatt two-bed reservation Friday-Monday
    I need: Sheraton Deluxe two-bed room for Saturday night

If you have the Sheraton room and would like to trade, please PM me and I will work to set up a time. Thank you!

Anyone else finding these new hotel listings really distracting? I mean, it's great that there's more options but I wish I could just filter on the "core" block.

And unnecessary. To my knowledge, there isn't any savings or rooms you couldn't get to via normal search methods. So the new hotels are just saving you a trip to Hotels.com.

• PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular
    Wed-Tuesday is up right now at Hyatt at Olive 8(had a good stay there previously), and a thurs-tue at the Renaissance opened up(my previous reservation)

• dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    I have a question about splitting hotels. Me and my friends are trying to get a stay at the Sheraton. But as you know it's pretty hard. We are grabbing a day at a time on separate cards and names (me getting thursday and a friend getting sunday so far. Still need Friday and saturday) my question is when we get all 4 days we want but they are all under different names would I be able to call on peak and ask them to combine them all for me into one room stay?

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hope so! But it may not work that way. If OnPeak doesn't help you out with that, the hotel itself might be able to once the reservations are transferred over to the hotel.

zerzhul wrote: »
    I hope so! But it may not work that way. If OnPeak doesn't help you out with that, the hotel itself might be able to once the reservations are transferred over to the hotel.

Perfect thank you!

sig_dragonx.jpg
    Found a Thursday for my Fri-Mon at the Sheraton!

Now I don't have to switch from a Deluxe room to a regular room on Friday!

Daily checking of onpeak done!

That's awesome! I'm still looking for the Saturday Deluxe room. It's a little nerve-wracking to still be looking so close to PAX though.

Still trying to nab a Monday for my Crowne Plaza reservation *grumblegrumble*

In reality though, I'm happy folks are getting their full days they need. At the very least I have two rooms to cover the entirety of my stay but just don't want to go through the hassle of switching rooms.

Keibi wrote: »

That's awesome! I'm still looking for the Saturday Deluxe room. It's a little nerve-wracking to still be looking so close to PAX though.

I'm still waiting for a Friday and Saturday deluxe to show up to complete with me thuraday and sunday.

sig_dragonx.jpg
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Just managed to turn my Sun-Mon at the Grand Hyatt into Thurs-Mon, and cancelled my Thurs-Fri there. Good luck!

Madpoet on
  • PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular
    I couldn't get Saturday for the Grand Hyatt, so I just dropped my thurs-fri and sun-tue, so if you've been waiting to snag a full set it's almost all up right now!

• DeimirDeimir Registered User regular

In reality though, I'm happy folks are getting their full days they need. At the very least I have two rooms to cover the entirety of my stay but just don't want to go through the hassle of switching rooms.

I didn't want to voice this suspicion earlier in case it made it come true, but I don't think Crowned Plaza even had any two-bed rooms for Monday night to begin with (please someone come in here and prove me wrong)

It was a small detail but if you look at the calendar view for single and double bed rooms, the single beds say they are "sold out" for Monday night whereas two-beds say "unavailable" instead.

I'm just being paranoid, right?

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
    Deimir wrote: »

I didn't want to voice this suspicion earlier in case it made it come true, but I don't think Crowned Plaza even had any two-bed rooms for Monday night to begin with (please someone come in here and prove me wrong)

It was a small detail but if you look at the calendar view for single and double bed rooms, the single beds say they are "sold out" for Monday night whereas two-beds say "unavailable" instead.

You're absolutely right...

I just checked on the hotel website and 2 queen rooms for Monday night are coming up at 214.37 which I believe isn't too far from the group rate. Also, executive king suite Monday night is 258.02

I guess getting up at 3AM for work does have its benefits. Somehow managed to snag the sheraton delux 2 bed thuraday to monday =)

sig_dragonx.jpg
  • afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    I am giving up my Paramount 1 bedroom Thurs-Sun.

Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Does the Grand Hyatt still charge about $200 extra at check in for the security deposit (or maybe it was called a maid/housekeeping fee)? Last time hubby and I stayed there was 4 years ago, and they charged and refunded after our stay.

edited August 2016
    Deimir wrote: »

I've seen it do the same thing for single bed rooms in my layout, but you might be right as I've never seen any doubles pop up for Monday this past month.

I might give OnPeak a call and see if they can help me out on consolidating the reservation.

UPDATE: I called OnPeak and they told me that two-bed Crowne Plaza rooms are unavailable entirely for Monday night. I find it entirely silly since there's one-bed options available for the same window but who knows.

IncreaseBlue on