As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Is there any kind of ship upgrade that improves the drive to hold more/use less fuel with each takeoff? Eating up 25% of my fuel each time is pretty tedious.

All I know is landing on an actual pad uses no plutonium whatsoever when got takeoff.

Good luck actually eyeballing a pad landing though

Yeah it seems when you need a thing, it takes hours to find.

I mean, I can find outposts with landing pads.

But it's not like you can tell your ship "land on the pad"

You have to press the button and hope it touches down on the pad.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Is there any kind of ship upgrade that improves the drive to hold more/use less fuel with each takeoff? Eating up 25% of my fuel each time is pretty tedious.

All I know is landing on an actual pad uses no plutonium whatsoever when got takeoff.

Oh dude, slow down and aim at pad, it locks on everytime.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

The game actually seems pretty generous about landing you on a pad if you try to land anywhere that feels like it should be on the pad, in my experience. I don't think I've ever tried to land on a pad and missed, except for one time when an AI ship I didn't see was trying to land at the same time and the game bugged out and threw me into space.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Abbalah wrote: »

Alright, man. They saw an interview where the guy says you can play with your friends, saw him say it was possible to meet other players on Colbert, watched a couple trailers that showed a ship flying around with other friendly ships, and then bought a game to play with some buddies without thoroughly researching the game's development process or fact-checking the developer interviews.

What a bunch of dumb entitled assholes they are. You tell 'em.

Who called them "entitled assholes" or "dumb?" I sure as shit haven't. And "thoroughly researching. . ." is a pretty lame strawman; as mentioned (which no one seems to acknowledge for whatever reason), the game itself in stores, on PSN and Steam is clearly labeled as Single Player. In the UK, SONY clarified the games marketing by removing "online play" from the old box discs. The developer tweeted (if you go for that kind of thing) that the game wasn't MP a day before release.

The only way Murray has been "coy" about the player experience is if you focus only on comments made or interviews done nearly a year ago, and refuse to catch up on what the actual game is offering before purchase.

Yes.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    For landing pads, you want to slow down, and try and approach at the same height as the platform is on.

A simple answer to this problem would be to add an audio cue when you're locked onto the pad (you can see this when you get the three white indicators around the pad).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've been able to eyeball pad landings coming in pretty hot every time

The flying is so damn intuitive in this game

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    As you get close to landing pads, there's a targeting bracket that appears around them. Land then, and you home in.
    Though the ability to look down at what you're actually over would be nice.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Man, sacrificing tool upgrades just to install new upgrades is a bummer.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Oh dude, slow down and aim at pad, it locks on everytime.

Yup:
    4B46FD8AD3346B52F56D900DC82F46F26628990F

• Options
    I'm really enjoying my time with this game, but in my limited time I'd like to see some changes:

1) Planet maps. For the love of christ give me a fucking map/mapping tool.
    2) Ability to fly lower to the ground
    3) More control over where I'm going to land
    4) Non-resource item stacking. Even if they just stacked in stacks of 5 I'd be super happy.

And thats not to mention the stuff I'd like to see added to the game like player owned bases/giant ships and the ability to own multiple ships. But even with the mention of Hello Game's desire to expand the game post release, I'm doubtful I'll ever get either of those.

That said I learned (spoilered in case you want to run around without inventory slots for some strange reason):
    There are drop pods (listed as shelters for some reason) and they can add an inventory slot to your suit, 1 square at a time. For an increasing amount of money per slot, but whatever totally worth it.

• Options
    Okay so I learned how to make Antimatter. Is it safe for me to claim my pre-order ship now?

• Options
    Oh shit, between going to be last night (okay, this morning) and playing today some asshole has 1) landed on my planet, and 2) named shit

WE ARE NOT ALONE

• Options
    Holy christ. I mined an Aluminum deposit that went through the fucking map. Almost got fucked on like half an hour of mining.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Herea are pictures of the purple and gold planet I've been hanging out on recently. It's also the first (and only!) planet I've 100%'d all of the wildlife on so far.
    B4F4452CBD208F4DFC74E24DE86F0276BB278D98

34C85B0CD62E38F595ADAD27F8482E631F216457

458240859497CC325B39E6A73788A1FE85ACE001
    Not seen here: there are also large boulders of gold everywhere.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Using my transmission tower/crashed ship grinding method I managed to get my ship up from 22 slots to 30 today. Ugly as shit ship though, might keep on grinding until I get the same model as one of the pretty ones I had earlier in my grinding run.

Really hoping there's some Chryonsite somewhere in this system. I need it for sooo many upgrades and I have maybe 20 in my inventory right now.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Okay so I learned how to make Antimatter. Is it safe for me to claim my pre-order ship now?

I claimed it right away, not knowing it skips the anti matter tutorial. :(

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    As you get close to landing pads, there's a targeting bracket that appears around them. Land then, and you home in.
    Though the ability to look down at what you're actually over would be nice.

Elite Dangerous has a really cool way of dealing with docking/landing, where when you get over a pad, it pops up
    latest?cb=20140809114311

Which shows your location, height, etc for manual landing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    My, you're a tall one.
    FF7F3FB73DA7EE4A6535E2F325AFD3B3EC8AA952

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I'm largely enjoying the experience but there are a few things I'm finding frustrating.

1) Lack of ability to choose what I'm going for (I desperately want exosuit upgrades for more slots - fat chance)
    2) Ship Flying - compared to Elite: Dangerous (the only other space game I have any reasonable time invested in) the ships handle like giant marshmallows being balanced on sticks. I hate the dogfighting and that is one of the things I was looking forward to.
    3) Every planet is so cluttered! Every single one I've landed on has been absurdly full of icons to explore, things to collect and (fairly samey) buildings to raid. It means that I have yet to feel like I've got a thorough exploration of a planet under my belt, because I invariably get bored of the same animals/landscape long before I'm done with the planet.

And perhaps most importantly...

4) The fucking popups! This game needs some way to get the tooltips, hints and achievements to fuck RIGHT off. They completely break immersion and I can't find any way to escape them!

But for all the downsides, I'm still sinking hours and hours into the game and it is still a lot of fun. A lot more fun if you have a bunch of friends in voice chat narrating their own bizarre experiences too, but fun nonetheless.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Kisidan wrote: »
    I'm largely enjoying the experience but there are a few things I'm finding frustrating.

1) Lack of ability to choose what I'm going for (I desperately want exosuit upgrades for more slots - fat chance)
    2) Ship Flying - compared to Elite: Dangerous (the only other space game I have any reasonable time invested in) the ships handle like giant marshmallows being balanced on sticks. I hate the dogfighting and that is one of the things I was looking forward to.
    3) Every planet is so cluttered! Every single one I've landed on has been absurdly full of icons to explore, things to collect and (fairly samey) buildings to raid. It means that I have yet to feel like I've got a thorough exploration of a planet under my belt, because I invariably get bored of the same animals/landscape long before I'm done with the planet.

And perhaps most importantly...

4) The fucking popups! This game needs some way to get the tooltips, hints and achievements to fuck RIGHT off. They completely break immersion and I can't find any way to escape them!

But for all the downsides, I'm still sinking hours and hours into the game and it is still a lot of fun. A lot more fun if you have a bunch of friends in voice chat narrating their own bizarre experiences too, but fun nonetheless.

(1) Use by pass chips to get Drop Pod locations. These contain ExoSuit slots; the cost multiples of 10K. (2) Ship Flying can be improved. (3) Once you 100% one planet, there's no reason to do it again. I'm at the point where I will only land to see if a planet has the materials I need to keep going in my quest. If no. . .see ya. A QoL patch to the waypoint/map system is definitely in order though. (4) Once you get deeper into the game, they should only pop up if you have a blueprint tagged.
    Using my transmission tower/crashed ship grinding method I managed to get my ship up from 22 slots to 30 today. Ugly as shit ship though, might keep on grinding until I get the same model as one of the pretty ones I had earlier in my grinding run.

Really hoping there's some Chryonsite somewhere in this system. I need it for sooo many upgrades and I have maybe 20 in my inventory right now.

If you have the cash, just sit at a Space Station and buy from the merchants that come through. I think they are like 100 a pop, so not expensive at all for a stack of 500.

ED! on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    FYI

The "Sprint/Melee/Jetpack" movement thing is actually just the "Melee/Jetpack" thing. At least as far as I can tell.

The game seems to take the speed you were moving at when you fired up the jetpack, and melee lurches you forward for a split second. My experience doesn't point to the sprint being important at all.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I think I got the hyperdrive schematic glitch and I need to restart :/ Doesn't hurt me that bad, I know a lot more about the game now so I can get going quick again, but still annoying to lose my cash.

What's the way to avoid this, just don't use the pre-order ship?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I specifically avoided redeeming the pre-order ship until after I had used the hyper drive on the old one the first time. Worked fine.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I specifically avoided redeeming the pre-order ship until after I had used the hyper drive on the old one the first time. Worked fine.

Awesome, I guess that's what I'll do.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I do wish I could take some of these crashed ships and fix them up just to hawk them off at the space station. I feel like every time I leave a crashed ship there I'm leaving behind a pile of gold bricks.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Am currently unable to play, because the game crashes every time I try to leave this planet I am currently on

Happened a few times yesterday, put it down for the night

Tried it seven or eight times today, crashes consistently

Waiting for a patch, I guess. Bummer, because it's still a fantastic game

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Is there a sense of what causes some people to crash? I was really thinking about picking this up today as my birthday present to myself, but I would be really sour if it was effectively unplayable for me.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've started this thing where I just land on a planet, and sort of wander until I find a spot where I can bring my ship to me and depending whether I like that planet or not I do it again after offloading all of my goods or just go to the next one.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Aside from one "crash" that occurred immediately after I hit "quit to desktop," the game has run smoothly for me so far. My video card barely meets the minimum requirements too.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Refund requested. I just can't see this being a 60 dollar game, with how sketchy and obfuscated the statements have been about features that may or may not exist and the poor performance, crashes and controls of the PC release there's no way I'm willing to just eat the cost and hope. The save system is also balls. It'll probably be a great 20$ game someday though.

Edit: Enjoyed the idea of the game very much. I hope it does well on console.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Is there a fast way to find Black Holes and/or Anomalies? Or do I just have to randomly warp until I find an Anomaly to give me a waypoint? I think I'm done with this game if it's the latter, I already spent an incredible amount of time just warping and finding warp cell ingredients to beat the Atlas path.

• Options
    I've only had one crash with a particular multi-tool schematic terminal, and it kept happening with that same terminal so I just left it and otherwise the game has been fine.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I played this for a bit yesterday but it runs really poorly on my shitty computer. I looked up the minimum recommended specs and my computer doesn't cut it. I probably should have researched this before I bought it and played it for longer than the refund limit. I think I'll like it though. I may upgrade my graphics card and RAM and try it again later.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    There's no planetside map, huh?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Got attacked by pirates, was quickly annihilated because my alternate weapon only fires for a split second before having to cooldown. Also the enemy craft seemed way more nimble.

I'm also having an issue where after 45 minutes to an hour the game suddenly gets incredibly choppy and slowed down, and I'm basically forced to exit the game. I can boot the game right back up and it'll be running fine. I thought maybe it was because I was using high quality textures, but I bumped it down to medium and it just started stuttering again after about 90 minutes of play.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    People often wonder why developers are so tight lipped and evasive about their games prior to release.
    "Why won't they engage with us, their customers?"
    Well, this is why. If a dev or PR person starts giving out specifics on features, especially early on in development, and those features don't pan out due to time or expense, then after release someone will dig up the quote and the yelling will begin.
    "He said 3 months ago that X would be in the game, and X is not in the game."
    e8ek24kclkpi.jpg

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    I don't know. If a dev says the game is multi and then ships with single player only and doesn't say at some point hey we're dropping multi, people would have a right to say they might have been lying. At the very least "Mistakes were made."

• Options
    This game, you guys.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to=*,*|2048:1152&background-color=black

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Got attacked by pirates, was quickly annihilated because my alternate weapon only fires for a split second before having to cooldown. Also the enemy craft seemed way more nimble.

I'm also having an issue where after 45 minutes to an hour the game suddenly gets incredibly choppy and slowed down, and I'm basically forced to exit the game. I can boot the game right back up and it'll be running fine. I thought maybe it was because I was using high quality textures, but I bumped it down to medium and it just started stuttering again after about 90 minutes of play.

Yeah there seems to be a memory leak or something as mine starts running at 1/3 speed after about 2 to 3 hours. If you're patient (it doesn't skip or stutter, it just runs in slow motion) and can get to a point to save the game, it's just fine after restarting.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's a nice idea, and I get what you're trying to say. On the other hand, it doesn't gel with today's aggressive preorder culture. Where you're encouraged and browbeated into preordering months in advance. Meaning you're buying into the game based on those "promises". So yeah, when they turn out to be bunk, you're going to feel lied to.

Now the obvious answer is "Don't preorder, you jive turkey homps". Well, easy enough to say, but this problem isn't going to magically fix itself tomorrow. All we can do is keep repeating the narrative and hope one day it finally cements itself.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."