As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where to eat at West

jscott8000jscott8000 Registered User new member
edited August 2016 in PAX West
I figured since nobody else has started a food page i would. I would love to hear everyone's recommendations on places and food trucks. Thank you

jscott8000 on

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Spreadsheet of local places (a bit outdated but still useful).

YoungFrey on
    edited August 2016
    <duplicate post>

YoungFrey on
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    There's always a line for Piroshky Piroshky every morning so they must be good (have yet to have some myself).

From my experiences last year:
    Blue Water Taco Grill was a good non-pricey option for a quick lunch or grab and go. Got a stuffed carne burrito and a drink for under $10 and no horrific lines to compete with.
    Elephant & Castle is a mid-price ($10-$20 a person) sit-down option but don't offer anything super special. Good burgers and the bar is ok.
    Via Tribunali is further in Capitol Hill but has really fantastic wood-fired pizza. The pizzas start at like $20 but the quality is worth it.
    Pike Place Chowder has long lines but is a very reasonable spot for fish options. PoBoys, Fried Clams, chowder, and fish and chips were all really good. Plus, it's in Pacific Place, which has a lot of other restaurants if that doesn't strike your fancy.

DragonFish Asian Cafe I would avoid. Pricey, busy (probably due to being inside the Paramount), and everything we ordered (non-sushi) was slathered in far too much peanut oil.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular

DragonFish Asian Cafe I would avoid. Pricey, busy (probably due to being inside the Paramount), and everything we ordered (non-sushi) was slathered in far too much peanut oil.

Dragonfish is good for a decent breakfast actually. I stay right next door and can grab sausage and eggs before heading to my booth.

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Westlake Park is a few blocks from WSCC and has food trucks every week day at lunch, and a few of them are excellent. The following link gives the schedule about one week in advance.

http://www.seattlefoodtruck.com/schedule/westlake-park-food-truck-pod/

NOSH has killer fish and chips, and Delfino has a decent personal deep dish pizza.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »

Dragonfish is good for a decent breakfast actually. I stay right next door and can grab sausage and eggs before heading to my booth.

Nice to hear that they have a good breakfast. We only went for lunch the one time and were disappointed. Maybe we just had a bad experience.

• adele822adele822 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Solelron wrote: »

I second the breakfast at Dragonfish, it's pretty good. Granted the last time I was there was the day after the TWDT so at that point anything would have been good. Although I do believe I have eaten breakfast there before without a hangover and it was still good :) I got your basic eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast type breakfast for about $10. For downtown Seattle, that's not a bad price, and it was filling.

adele822 on
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried A La Mode Pies, its on Phinney Ave N? They only sell, you guessed it, PIES! By the slice, whole or minis...saw them on a documentary about pies, and yes I watch a documentary on pies...it looked so yummy and worth making a detour to check it out one of the days.

• YakivegasYakivegas Registered User regular
    Country Dough at Pike Place is really good. They offer Chinese street food, specializing in a pocketbread sandwich. Inexpensive, quick and delicious. Went there during ECCC, very little in the way of crowds.

All bleeding stops...eventually.
  • 10KStreams10KStreams Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Last year I tried to never eat at the same place twice, but Calozzi's Cheesesteaks cost me that accomplishment. The price is right, you get a ton of food, and it's just out of the way enough that I never experienced a wait over a few minutes long.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried A La Mode Pies, its on Phinney Ave N? They only sell, you guessed it, PIES! By the slice, whole or minis...saw them on a documentary about pies, and yes I watch a documentary on pies...it looked so yummy and worth making a detour to check it out one of the days.

That's right by my house! I haven't tried it because it's a little too yuppie for my personal tastes but I hear good things.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular

There is also a place called Pie Bar on E Olive Way between Melrose Ave and Bellevue Ave (Close to the El Carazon where The Protomen had their after PAX Gig last year) piebarcapitolhill.com/

The Steak and Potato pie was exactly what a drunk and sleepy Suti needed at 1am last year.

• oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    VERY appreciative of this particular thread.

This is my 1st PAX, going w/ my 10 YO son as our bonding trip. Would be great to have options nearby that are good options with manageable lines during the busy times.

VERY appreciative of this particular thread.

This is my 1st PAX, going w/ my 10 YO son as our bonding trip. Would be great to have options nearby that are good options with manageable lines during the busy times.

I think that as long as you venture past a 1-block radius, you'll be fine for lines. The con is downtown and there are hundreds of options, but the places closest to the con - on the same block and within a sightline - are always packed. Also, keep in mind that on Friday and Monday, the business crowd will be eating lunch between 11:30-1:30, so places will be double busy then.

One of my fast-stop favorites is La Vaca Burrito Express; it's a walk-up window at the Pike Place Market. You can grab good, inexpensive burritos and find somewhere in the shade to sit and enjoy them. They don't have a website, just google it if you're interested.

• windfallwindfall Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Here's my plan for food in a convenient spreadsheet format with links to all the restaurants.

Any feedback, criticisms, or suggestions are welcome!

Edit: I know Salumi is closed on the weekends, I'm planning to pick up sandwiches on Friday and save them for Saturday.

windfall on
  • oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    windfall wrote: »
    Here's my plan for food in a convenient spreadsheet format with links to all the restaurants.

Edit: I know Salumi is closed on the weekends, I'm planning to pick up sandwiches on Friday and save them for Saturday.

Wow, that's a great list. Sadly my son does not share my foodie palate. Sad clown.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    That's right by my house! I haven't tried it because it's a little too yuppie for my personal tastes but I hear good things.

If I make it over to the Zoo I will probably pop in for a slice, I'm hoping they still have peach on the menu, as this is usually a summer treat. If not I'll check out the Pie Bar as @SutibunRi suggested, I mean...steak and potato pie, who can say no to that.

ClannMorgan on

Wow, that's a great list. Sadly my son does not share my foodie palate. Sad clown.

Thanks, sadly I don't think anyone in my group want to go for any of the splurge options. To be honest, I probably shouldn't be spending that much on food anyways. I am wondering if I should switch dinner on Friday and Saturday. Currently I think after having pasta for lunch at Il Corvo, going to Maneki for dinner would be lighter than the food at Radiator Whiskey. But of course with so much walking it might not even make a difference lol.

Also I'm wavering a bit on the Sunday plans. I don't have my heart completely set on either Stateside nor Lark so I'm definitely open to looking at other options.

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Italian Family Pizza just moved to Madison and Boren, about five blocks from the Convention Center. Their large pizza is a 24 inch pie that will feed a multitude. It is an east coast style thin crust pizza.

Thanks, sadly I don't think anyone in my group want to go for any of the splurge options. To be honest, I probably shouldn't be spending that much on food anyways. I am wondering if I should switch dinner on Friday and Saturday. Currently I think after having pasta for lunch at Il Corvo, going to Maneki for dinner would be lighter than the food at Radiator Whiskey. But of course with so much walking it might not even make a difference lol.

Also I'm wavering a bit on the Sunday plans. I don't have my heart completely set on either Stateside nor Lark so I'm definitely open to looking at other options.

Ya know... Seattle is big on happy hour. HUGE. If you want good food on a budget, hit up one of your wishlist restaurants during happy hour.

Ya know... Seattle is big on happy hour. HUGE. If you want good food on a budget, hit up one of your wishlist restaurants during happy hour.

I know some of the options have happy hour and that's the plan for Walrus and the Carpenter and most likely Radiator Whiskey. But as far as I can tell, the splurge options are all prix fixe.

• 10KStreams10KStreams Minnesota, USARegistered User regular

After checking in and grabbing some fast food, the third thing I did when I hit Seattle was visit Kress IGA Supermarket at 1427 3rd Ave. I grabbed a loaf of bread and a jar of local peanut butter and that six or so bucks was good for half of my lunches and all of my breakfasts.

10KStreams wrote: »

After checking in and grabbing some fast food, the third thing I did when I hit Seattle was visit Kress IGA Supermarket at 1427 3rd Ave. I grabbed a loaf of bread and a jar of local peanut butter and that six or so bucks was good for half of my lunches and all of my breakfasts.

The Target on the next block is also good for basic food and any sundries you might need.

When I said I shouldn't be spending that much, I was actually referring to the $100+ prix fixe menus lol. I definitely have a healthy food budget to try all the great places in Seattle. I'll definitely grab some granola bars and other dry snacks to keep me going during the day though.

• cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

This is one of my favorite pie places. My son loves their pies (apple, particularly) and when we head out to the zoo he expects to go there.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
    edited August 2016
    I'm slowing adding new locations and removing closed ones from the old spreadsheet. If the old owner wants to merge my changes, the additions are all at the bottom of this Google Doc.

Current additions:
    Little Uncle
    Dino's Tomato Pie
    Coffee Tree & Poke
    The Butcher's Table
    100 Pound Clam
    Steak N Shake
    Absinthe Brasserie and Bar
    Stateside
    Sizzle Pie
    Skillet Regrade
    Mamnoon Street
    Great State Burger
    Bar Noroeste
    Sushi Kashiba
    General Porpoise Doughnuts
    Bar Melusine
    Bateau
    Kedai Makan
    Niche Gluten Free Bakery & Cafe
    Carlile Room
    Lionhead
    Country Dough
    Rachels Ginger Beer
    Rachels Ginger Beer
    Naka Kaiseki
    Miller's Guild

curse on
    7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

The Target on the next block is also good for basic food and any sundries you might need.

There is also Pike Grocery right next to the Homewood.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • kalanikalani Straight Edge O.G Edmonds WARegistered User regular
    I love Goldberg's deli. I get a nathan's famous hot dog and their awesome black and white cookie

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    kalani wrote: »
    I love Goldberg's deli. I get a nathan's famous hot dog and their awesome black and white cookie

Unfortunately from what I've heard the location in the WSCC has closed..VERY sad.

edited August 2016
    No more Goldberg's deli. Man that sucks .That was my favroite place to eat The last couple of pax .I wonder why they closed. They were only there for 2 years

kalani on
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    curse wrote: »
    I'm slowing adding new locations and removing closed ones from the old spreadsheet. If the old owner wants to merge my changes, the additions are all at the bottom of this Google Doc.

Current additions:
    Little Uncle
    Dino's Tomato Pie
    Coffee Tree & Poke
    The Butcher's Table
    100 Pound Clam
    Steak N Shake
    Absinthe Brasserie and Bar
    Stateside
    Sizzle Pie
    Skillet Regrade
    Mamnoon Street
    Great State Burger
    Bar Noroeste
    Sushi Kashiba
    General Porpoise Doughnuts
    Bar Melusine
    Bateau
    Kedai Makan
    Niche Gluten Free Bakery & Cafe
    Carlile Room
    Lionhead
    Country Dough
    Rachels Ginger Beer
    Rachels Ginger Beer
    Naka Kaiseki
    Miller's Guild

Thanks Curse been too busy with work to deal with this this year. I've updated the list with your additions still need to remove the bad entries. I can give you edit access if you want since you have been helping for a few years now iirc.

It's updated at http://bit.ly/2aZGyxl I purposefully left the year off as it was meant to be a living updated document. For those unaware of how the document works take a look at the first post in this thread http://bit.ly/2bmmn0u The "show me" column is really nice for mobile users. Glad Curse kept the format.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Inside the convention centre, you can't go wrong with the Juicy Cafe: it's fresh and invigorating, I eat a ton of it to stay healthy through the long weekend.

Outside, I like the Daily Grill in the Sheraton hotel for both the breakfast buffet and night time entrees.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • wangulatorwangulator Registered User new member
    curse wrote: »

This is one of my favorite pie places. My son loves their pies (apple, particularly) and when we head out to the zoo he expects to go there.

They're opening one up in West Seattle in the Alaska Junction sometime this Fall. They're also introducing boozy smoothies at that location and I can only hope it'll open up when PAX rolls around. It will be easier to get to from downtown by taking the C line bus too.

edited August 2016
    Headhunter wrote: »
    Outside, I like the Daily Grill in the Sheraton hotel for both the breakfast buffet and night time entrees.

These guys have a really great buffet breakfast but its gosh awful expensive around $30 we would only eat there once a weekend after we saved up all our $5 room service tickets at the Sheraton.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz wrote: »

These guys have a really great buffet breakfast but its gosh awful expensive around $30 we would only eat there once a weekend after we saved up all our $5 room service tickets at the Sheraton.

If you want an epic Breakfast Buffet for $50, go to Salty's on Alki. It's famous even around Seattle and has been there forever. They literally have three rooms of food. Recommended especially if you're from a land-locked location and want to get some great seafood with a stellar view. Make sure to make reservations, it's always full on the weekends.

Not so much a seafood lover I'd rather go for all you can eat grilled meat. I think I recall a churrascaria nearby but have not made it yet. Any recommendations for a good place that won't break the wallet or cause food poisoning? :biggrin: Like here in PDX Fogo de Chão is $30 for lunch and $50 for dinner, those are prices I'd expect.

vn6ID15.png

Not so much a seafood lover I'd rather go for all you can eat grilled meat. I think I recall a churrascaria nearby but have not made it yet. Any recommendations for a good place that won't break the wallet or cause food poisoning? :biggrin: Like here in PDX Fogo de Chão is $30 for lunch and $50 for dinner, those are prices I'd expect.

The places around here seem to open and close rather suddenly. Two that seem to have survived in the Seattle area would be Novilhos and the Grill from Ipanema.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
    edited August 2016
    I like the Daily Grill in the Sheraton hotel for both the breakfast and lunch buffet. But it is expensive. I remember when strife the game had a demo station in the daily grill in 2013 and 2014 .And if you had a pax badge they had a deal where you would get like 20% off the buffet for breakfast and their lunch buffet.But they were not their last pax

kalani on
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular

If you want an epic Breakfast Buffet for $50, go to Salty's on Alki. It's famous even around Seattle and has been there forever. They literally have three rooms of food. Recommended especially if you're from a land-locked location and want to get some great seafood with a stellar view. Make sure to make reservations, it's always full on the weekends.

Wow that looks fantastic, any specific item recommendations?

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It's updated at http://bit.ly/2aZGyxl I purposefully left the year off as it was meant to be a living updated document. For those unaware of how the document works take a look at the first post in this thread http://bit.ly/2bmmn0u The "show me" column is really nice for mobile users. Glad Curse kept the format.
    One note/update for your list: Cyber Dogs has closed, sadly. PAX people trashed it on Yelp but it was one of my favorite places: veggie dogs in a weird, cramped space connected to the convention center, complete with vintage computers connected to the "internet." Open till midnight. It was awesome, and I was so sad to find its empty storefront when I went to look for it last year. Zombie web site lives on at www.cyber-dogs.com.

every day's great on