As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 Cosplay thread

• armageddoncosplayarmageddoncosplay Armagettin it! CanadaRegistered User new member
    I'll be bringing a Sheik cosplay for sure! I might bring another thing or two depending on how I feel closer to the date.
    Definitely looking forward to seeing/meeting cool cosplayers!
    5dp9prgh9i8c.jpeg

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    We're under the 30-day mark! Panic hasn't set in yet but I'm already mentally feeling the crunch. I tend to worry early anyways but still, time to heat things up! (but not my hand, I really burned my hand last night with hot glue T-T)

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    We're under the 30-day mark! Panic hasn't set in yet but I'm already mentally feeling the crunch. I tend to worry early anyways but still, time to heat things up! (but not my hand, I really burned my hand last night with hot glue T-T)

I have 2 and a half weeks to finish up my stuff since I'm going out of the country and coming back straight for PAX.

I'm as cool as a cucumber *eye twitches*

sedirox wrote: »

I have 2 and a half weeks to finish up my stuff since I'm going out of the country and coming back straight for PAX.

I'm a little worried too as upcoming weekends I'd expected to have for cosplay work are quickly being slotted for various events. Seafair this weekend, the Renn. Faire sometime after but before PAX. It's really hard to complain about all the constant events we have here around Seattle but sometimes I feel like it!

I'm a little worried too as upcoming weekends I'd expected to have for cosplay work are quickly being slotted for various events. Seafair this weekend, the Renn. Faire sometime after but before PAX. It's really hard to complain about all the constant events we have here around Seattle but sometimes I feel like it!

I feel ya. I live near LA so there's always something going on. I might have to skip out on some stuff over the next 2 weekends :|

• AK Shadow92AK Shadow92 Anchorage, AlaskaRegistered User regular

I feel ya. I live near LA so there's always something going on. I might have to skip out on some stuff over the next 2 weekends :|

Its like as much fun as it is to attend everything until PAX its like you have to just say no and get to the grind stone to complete everything in time then you get the awesome feeling of everyone in aw of how awesome you look :)

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Bringing my costumes is always a headache. TSA has had a field day every time I bring Clank.

• RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I'll be there as Ramona Flowers in three different outfits on Friday/Saturday/Sunday :D
    Including: Mondo figurine Rammy! Just finished her bat this weekend, I've named it Swinger :+1:
    CpSjla_WcAANc8V.jpg:large

Renfamous on
  • SatiusSatius Registered User new member
    I'm doing Mercy for two of the days, then Nurse Joy another day, and finally Candella the Team Valor leader from Pokemon Go.

Right now I have the Pokemon costumes done or close enough (Redoing the dress for Nurse Joy), however Mercy still has so many parts. Her wings and staff are making me anxious just thinking about them. All of the actual sewing is done though, so at least it's decently far along. Just have to work a little everyday at this point.

• RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    @Satius what day are you doing Candela? I'm going to bring my Valor Trainer cosplay too, maybe the stars will align :D

• Wraith90Wraith90 Saskatoon, SkRegistered User regular
    I will be there in my Reaper cosplay. Don't know what day, but will defiantly wear it if there is an Overwatch cosplay meetup. (Just hope I finish the shotguns in time)

• adesityadesity Registered User new member
    Will be doing female Hanzo Sat & maybe Sun. @Wraith90 Has anyone arranged a meetup for Overwatch yet? I've seen quite a few people mentioning they're doing OW. Would be awesome to meet everyone ;D

I don't think anyone has yet. I haven't seen anything mentioned here or on other forums. I think if one was planned the best day would be Sat in the freeway park.

• SatiusSatius Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    I was probably going to do Friday and Monday for Mercy. I have a group of friends who want to do Friday otherwise I would do Saturday. We have a young sparrow Genji, D.Va, Mei, Mercy, Tracer and I think a 76 and a female Junkrat? Not sure how everyone else's progress is going right now.

@Renfamous I've been planning on Sunday for Candela! I would love to see your trainer. :biggrin:

Satius on
    Satius wrote: »
    I'm doing Mercy for two of the days, then Nurse Joy another day, and finally Candella the Team Valor leader from Pokemon Go.

Right now I have the Pokemon costumes done or close enough (Redoing the dress for Nurse Joy), however Mercy still has so many parts. Her wings and staff are making me anxious just thinking about them. All of the actual sewing is done though, so at least it's decently far along. Just have to work a little everyday at this point.
    Do you still need her staff and gun ?

Wraith90 wrote: »
    I will be there in my Reaper cosplay. Don't know what day, but will defiantly wear it if there is an Overwatch cosplay meetup. (Just hope I finish the shotguns in time)
    You could always buy them :biggrin:

If you can't make your own props whats the point of owning a 3d printer?

Wraith90 wrote: »
    If you can't make your own props whats the point of owning a 3d printer?
    I'm sry I didn't know you had one :(

Since there's talk here about an Overwatch meetup, I took the liberty of setting one up. I personally will not be doing an Overwatch cosplay (but my boyfriend's doing 76) but I'll be there and can't wait to see you all!

https://www.facebook.com/events/821528664614457/

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Pax in three weeks and working on spiffing up Clank. The voice is provided by a remote relay while I operate the mouth (and can also nod/ turn the head once I iron out some kinks) so anyone can actually talk for Clank via their cell phone. If any of you want to give it a try at conc, come find me. I won't be too hard to spot, lol.

https://youtu.be/QbPqNWS-IBA

I totally deleted a week from my calendar and have now realized I actually have almost 3 weeks to finish everything not two. I'm happy!

• elliquenceelliquence Registered User new member
    Planning on going as a casual Zarya on Friday and casual Dipper/Mabel on Saturday or Monday with a friend! Not sure if my cosplay would be good enough for a meetup, but would love to find some other Overwatch folks on Friday even so!

I wish I could have my McCree done in time for PAX this year but I will have it ready(minus the arm and chest since I have yet to find someone to help me with those parts) for the next con in October

• InukiInuki Registered User regular
    Wanted to say thanks to Beker to responding to what could've been taken as a lot of complaining on my part in a genuine interest on improvement. I know cosplayers are a minority at PAX, but we do bring colour to the event and it never feels good to be singled out or feel like we are unwanted. Of course, people are always going to try to stop and take pictures when they see something cool, all we can do is try to stop them from blocking crowded halls and aisles.

As far as my Dark Souls 3 cosplay goes: I have been really delayed due to lots of other obligations in life, but I finally have the time now to sit down and get cracking. With only two weeks to spare my plan is to basically do as much as possible to get it wearable, and then improvements post-PAX.

Here's a bit of what I have so far on the helm:

j4f986350xxc.jpg
    l635hjgbh0t6.jpg

006.jpg 105.8K
    004.jpg 92.1K
  • DahDah Registered User new member
    My husband and I are attending on Monday. This is both our first Pax / con and first cosplay.

Wondering about dressing him. I thought we'd leave it in the car, come in for a while, then go back and dress at the car. But it sounds like there are actually places you can bring in your costumes and leave them then dress inside?

Also, I'm not going to have time to make him a sword, I'm seeing on these forums that there aren't a lot of vendors and I was counting on buying him a cosplay sword there instead. Anyone know if there may be a cosplay weapon vendor? Or should I try to buy one online before instead?

Thanks for any info / advice. :-)

Dah wrote: »
    My husband and I are attending on Monday. This is both our first Pax / con and first cosplay.

Wondering about dressing him. I thought we'd leave it in the car, come in for a while, then go back and dress at the car. But it sounds like there are actually places you can bring in your costumes and leave them then dress inside?

Also, I'm not going to have time to make him a sword, I'm seeing on these forums that there aren't a lot of vendors and I was counting on buying him a cosplay sword there instead. Anyone know if there may be a cosplay weapon vendor? Or should I try to buy one online before instead?

Thanks for any info / advice. :-)

You're better off buying it online since there are almost no cosplay vendors at PAX.

You're better off buying it online since there are almost no cosplay vendors at PAX.

Was afraid of that. Any suggestions for finding one online that's not too expensive? I'm seeing some nice ones on Amazon but they are priced around 250.00. I'd like to stay under 100.00.

Inuki wrote: »
    As far as my Dark Souls 3 cosplay goes: I have been really delayed due to lots of other obligations in life, but I finally have the time now to sit down and get cracking. With only two weeks to spare my plan is to basically do as much as possible to get it wearable, and then improvements post-PAX.

Here's a bit of what I have so far on the helm:
    -snip-
    I gotta say right now without finish that looks like a freaky flesh-helm, which honestly I figured was a canon Dark Souls design. :P

Was afraid of that. Any suggestions for finding one online that's not too expensive? I'm seeing some nice ones on Amazon but they are priced around 250.00. I'd like to stay under 100.00.
    If you're seeing ones for 250 and it's on Amazon I can only imagine those are replicas and not standard cosplay props. Some people do cosplay with actual weapons or replicas but especially for swords they might not even be allowed in many cons. Depending on the sword it may be surprisingly simple to make him one yourself if you have the time, or modify a toy one. I've seen little kids' foam swords in stores, or you could find myriad tutorials online. What character is he doing?

[/quote]
    If you're seeing ones for 250 and it's on Amazon I can only imagine those are replicas and not standard cosplay props. Some people do cosplay with actual weapons or replicas but especially for swords they might not even be allowed in many cons. Depending on the sword it may be surprisingly simple to make him one yourself if you have the time, or modify a toy one. I've seen little kids' foam swords in stores, or you could find myriad tutorials online. What character is he doing?
    [/quote]

Yeah, I think they are replicas. Gonna try Walmart this weekend and see what I can find. Just don't think I have the time to make one as I still have a lot to do on his costume.

He's doing the pally Judgement set from WoW. I actually started it over 3 years ago, made him the shoulders for Christmas. They turned out so well I started making the rest and have been working on it off and on the past year. At this point think we'll settle for anything decent for a weapon for him.

[/quote]

Yeah, I think they are replicas. Gonna try Walmart this weekend and see what I can find. Just don't think I have the time to make one as I still have a lot to do on his costume.

He's doing the pally Judgement set from WoW. I actually started it over 3 years ago, made him the shoulders for Christmas. They turned out so well I started making the rest and have been working on it off and on the past year. At this point think we'll settle for anything decent for a weapon for him.

[/quote]
    If you don't get a sword you could always go for a hammer :P

edited August 2016

If you don't get a sword you could always go for a hammer :P
    Or since you're really crunched on time just use a fancy-looking book for a tome/libram. Unless he's against being perceived as Holy. :P

Scunosi on
    edited August 2016
    I'm almost done with Marie and I'm insanely excited with how it turned out!

twa4ts2dulqq.jpg

sedirox on
  • kpmccray14kpmccray14 Registered User new member
    nbg6zwi4al81.jpeg
    Lady Maria should be done soon. Also touching up Fiona from Tales from the Borderlands and the bf is going as the Stranger.

CANT WAIT

• Amanda WattsAmanda Watts Registered User new member
    I will be doing my very first cosplay at PAX this year. I decided to take a hit on mine and do an Overwatch character. I decided to go with Pharah, and I am doing her Raindancer skin. I'm almost done with it, just need to finalize the beading. But I'm excited!

• DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    My group is slowly finalizing their costumes for PAX. I'll be going as Crono, and the rest of the group will most likely be going as Plague Knight, Link and Zelda in their Hyrule Warriors costumes, Robin (fire emblem), and Kaiba. Looking forward to seeing everyone's great costumes this year!

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Not technically cosplay, but I made it for PAX (and I certainly swore and cried enough over it like a real cosplay):

ctleiaup3id1.jpg

IMG.jpg 283.6K
    "Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • InukiInuki Registered User regular
    I gotta say right now without finish that looks like a freaky flesh-helm, which honestly I figured was a canon Dark Souls design. :P

Bahaha yeah, a lot of people think worbla looks like cookie dough. My friends thought I made a helmet out of dough and were wondering why I would do that...

Been tearing through the torso... Incomplete look at what I have so far, it connects together with magnets and the ribcage was detailed with dremel and sanding:

7tuoxu2n5tdi.jpg

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I am making Gardevoir (Pokemon).

I am SOOOO excited.

I was hoping to get my Mafia Miss Fortune back in action, but alas. I only have weekends to work on my costumes. And my jacket for Gardevoir had to be completely remade - which meant all of the work during one weekend went poof. I will have to have laser focus this weekend.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My new costume is ready.
    My trial run at a local convention proved to me that I needed to stick a tiny fan inside the helmet to provide air flow.
    96ozo51mhoup.jpg

• nicoleninjanicoleninja Registered User regular
    I'll be going as Gastly and my sister will be going as Voltorb :) I got the idea for the heads from someone who made them a few years back for Pax and posted it on Reddit. I decided to make my own version and went with Gastly (round Pokemon concept) and it turned out better than I expected .n_____n. We'll be cosplaying on Saturday :D

2lucc8wemdij.jpeg
    rtegstd8zh7d.jpeg