As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Barry Bonds vs. Howard Krongard: And the Winner Is…

shadow7shadow7 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
...the winner, hands down, is Howard, J, Korngard, - a name barely known to most Americans, and someone who remains barely known, thanks to the corporate US media. Here’s the competition:

A top story this week in the news
: Barry Bonds was indicted on charges of four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice. Bonds stands accused of lying under oath to a grand jury about his use of steroids. If he is found guilty on all counts, Bonds faces up to fifteen years in prison.

Barry Bonds is obviously a menace to us all. He apparently poses a great threat to all our lives and to the safety of the nation. Let us all hope that justice is done and the full force of the law is brought down on this dangerous criminal.

Non story this week in the news:
Howard J. Korngard, US State Department Inspector General lied under oath to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform It seems that federal prosecutors have been looking into allegations of waste, fraud, and abuse in Iraq by Blackwater, USA. And, surprise, surprise, Korngard was on the carpet for interfering with the investigation.

FULL STORY: http://tvnewslies.org/blog/?p=670

shadow7 on

• Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    okay entropykid go back to sleep

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    isn't the more likely reason Krongard isn't getting attention because he just doesn't sell ratings?

Not that I'm denying that it's important, it's that I doubt it's some corporate media conspiracy to protect government officials.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I know Bonds lied but it seems silly to go to jail for 15 years for telling a lie. If everyone went to jail over lying, even to federal agents, I can think of some certain politicians in our current administration that would be locked up for life.

Shogun on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I know Bonds lied but it seems silly to go to jail for 15 years for telling a lie. If everyone went to jail over lying, even to federal agents, I can think of some certain politicians in our current administration that would be locked up for life.

It's not lying, it's lying under oath that is the problem.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    saggio wrote: »

Yes, because once you lie after swearing oath on the Bible, it becomes infinitely worse!

ege02 on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Yes, because once you lie after swearing oath on the Bible, it becomes infinitely worse!
    No, but once you swear or affirm that you are speaking the truth in a legal setting, then it does. One of the foundations of the legal system is that witness testimony is accepted as truthful. If there is no penalty for lying to the courts, there is no compelling reason to tell the truth under oath, and the courts lose their credibility.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

No, but once you swear or affirm that you are speaking the truth in a legal setting, then it does. One of the foundations of the legal system is that witness testimony is accepted as truthful. If there is no penalty for lying to the courts, there is no compelling reason to tell the truth under oath, and the courts lose their credibility.
    Bingo.

Also, Barry Bonds can burn in hell along with every other fucking pro baseball player on steroids (that is, 95% of them). Damn him.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

And I am astonished that this apparently needs to be explained to some of you. What the?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not particularly new for something really LOUD though ultimately unimportant to be headlining when something that looks really bad for the war or government happens in the background. calling the OP entropykid seems a bit over the top.

also, yeah what's with not getting lying under oath? that's a crime, and it should be. my only problem ultimately (much like with Clinton and the blow job) is I don't think he ever should have been giving testimony on steroids, but that's a different story and doesn't change the fact that he lied when he got there, which is a punishable offense.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

And I am astonished that this apparently needs to be explained to some of you. What the?

I understand that. It's just the whole Bible thing that gets to me.

ege02 on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I understand lying under oath is a crime. People seem to act as if this has never happened before. In the American justice system this is somewhat common. And usually people don't get 15 years for it. He isn't hurting anyone other than baseball. Strip his home-run title (which should be anyway, Barry Bonds doesn't have shit on Hank Aaron and never will) and kick him out of baseball. 15 years? Are you kidding me? I can think of some certain people in the White House, certain Congressmen, and a certain former Attorney General who have all lied under oath. I see no one prosecuting them. Yet. I admit I'm still hoping.

Barry Bonds is a complete jackass and a hack, but 15 years for lying about steroids and stupid-ass baseball is ri-goddamned-diculous.

Then I remember I'm in America.

Shogun on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's voluntary, traditional (going back to George Washington's oath of office) and there are many religious people in the country. So...yeah.

moniker on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    15 years? Are you kidding me?

It's 30.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The Bible isn't the important part about it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I understand lying under oath is a crime. People seem to act as if this has never happened before. In the American justice system this is somewhat common. And usually people don't get 15 years for it. He isn't hurting anyone other than baseball. Strip his home-run title (which should be anyway, Barry Bonds doesn't have shit on Hank Aaron and never will) and kick him out of baseball. 15 years? Are you kidding me? I can think of some certain people in the White House, certain Congressmen, and a certain former Attorney General who have all lied under oath. I see no one prosecuting them. Yet. I admit I'm still hoping.

Barry Bonds is a complete jackass and a hack, but 15 years for lying about steroids and stupid-ass baseball is ri-goddamned-diculous.

Then I remember I'm in America.
    When you obstruct justice during a federal trial, it effectively makes you an accomplice after the fact; the obstruction charge can carry the same penalty as the crime you were trying to hide. The problem is not that he said he never used steroids. The problem is that during a criminal trial, he testified that the defendant had never given him steroids. Bonds was given immunity to testify, and it now appears that he still lied under oath to protect his image and his income. How much money has he made since his testimony that he would never have seen if he had admitted to doping?

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The Bible isn't the important part about it.

I'm also relatively certain you can also choose the book you swear upon. I remember a case where a Muslim swore upon the Koran instead of the Bible. But I could be wrong.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    dvshermandvsherman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think Bonds should go away for 30 years. And not just because he lied under oath. Because he, and everyone else who uses steroids, killed baseball. His home run record should be trashed, and he should be locked in a cell and be forgotten.

dvsherman on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007

It's got nothing to do with the bible, shit-for-brains, it's got to do with the fundamental basis of the legal system in the civilised world.

Tube on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

As others have stated: you do not have to swear on the bible, in court or otherwise (e.g. for office).

Here's one link (albeit anecdotal): http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=503591

There are hundreds more.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    chris webber was charged for lying to a grand jury. he didn't do any jail time. and haven't government officials lied to a grand jury too.

theparttime on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Cat, you probably shouldn't read /. ever. That sort of thinking is endemic there.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    dvsherman wrote: »
    I think Bonds should go away for 30 years. And not just because he lied under oath. Because he, and everyone else who uses steroids, killed baseball. His home run record should be trashed, and he should be locked in a cell and be forgotten.
    Yes, because Pete Rose killed baseball. Every other "problem" baseball has ever had killed it. Babe Ruth, drinker and womanizer. Killed that sport. That's why we're still fucking playing it today.

Baseball wasn't killed. No one has ever killed it. Along with just about every other major sport, it's had hiccups. All this gloom and doom talk about steroids and baseball is fucking annoying. Some guys juiced, it sucked, and we're still here today. Games still go on (well, not at this moment in time) and we're still going to have a Series next year.

Fuck.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    chris webber was charged for lying to a grand jury. he didn't do any jail time. and haven't government officials lied to a grand jury too.

He was charged with perjury. He pled to contempt and paid $100,000 after the prosecution lost its primary witness.

Knuckle Dragger on

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes, because Pete Rose killed baseball. Every other "problem" baseball has ever had killed it. Babe Ruth, drinker and womanizer. Killed that sport. That's why we're still fucking playing it today.

Baseball wasn't killed. No one has ever killed it. Along with just about every other major sport, it's had hiccups. All this gloom and doom talk about steroids and baseball is fucking annoying. Some guys juiced, it sucked, and we're still here today. Games still go on (well, not at this moment in time) and we're still going to have a Series next year.

Fuck.

Boringness killed baseball.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    dvshermandvsherman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Fuck.

Hey. Fuck, yourself. Of course it is still played today. And it's not just some guys. A boat load of guys juiced. They gave the home run record to a guy that juiced. I said it's been killed, for me, because it's no longer about who is the better player, it's about who managed to unnaturally augment their bodies the most.

So yeah, that killed it for me. I never said it was no longer played. I said that what has become of the sport has made a childhood hobby unpalatable for me.

So again. Fuck, yourself.

dvsherman on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Of course it is still played today. And it's not just some guys. A boat load of guys juiced. They gave the home run record to a guy that juiced. I said it's been killed, for me, because it's no longer about who is the better player, it's about who managed to unnaturally augment their bodies the most.

So yeah, that killed it for me. I never said it was no longer played. I said that what has become of the sport has made a childhood hobby unpalatable for me.
    Thanks for the personal attacks. Now let us get back to the matter at hand.

I'm sorry, but no one is ever going to forget the controversy surrounding Barry Bonds. If his record stands for 50 years, people won't forget. Especially now that he was actually indicted. Look at what Marc Ecko did with the ball. Honestly I can see Cooperstown displaying the ball so you can't see the brand, but still -- it's there. That's fact. Did Bud Selig sit on his high tower and is he doing a horrible job at the helm? Sure, but other sports have survived this kind of crapfest.

The majority of players (I dare say vast majority) didn't juice. Athletes look for an edge, and technology provided them with a way. Technology also provided a way to stop them if we so desired. Look at the guys getting busted for the substance abuse policy right now. Who cares? They're mostly C-grade players that don't have the physical ability or talent to play with the big guns. Guy on the Tigers got bit this year and he probably won't play again because of it.

Current mass steroid use ("juicing") just isn't there. There was a shit time in the late 90s with McGwire, Giambi and the lot where it was much more prevalent than today.

Don't let the bitter taste of the 1990s ruin the game forever. Turn on a game next season with your favorite team and try to enjoy it again.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What we need is A-Rod (Yankees hate aside) to set a "Clean" HR record.

Because if he isn't juicin' he's a top athelete, what the sport needs.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    While the numbers show A-Rod soaring toward Bonds' record at a nice clip, I'm going to wait for the excitement until he gets closer. The Griffey Jr. hype still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Satan. on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Fuck.

The strike killed baseball.

Griffey was going to break Maris' record, and do it clean.
    Tony Gwynn was going to hit .400.

Then everyone decided they needed more money, and quit.
    Then Labor Day came and the NFL saved America, with SI trumpeting "Football: The Real American Pastime" on the cover. The viewing public embraced football and never looked back. Moments of interest like the McGwire-Sosa HR chase or the Red Sox breaking the curse were little more than isolated beeps after jolting a corpse with a defibrillator.

Nowadays not only can baseball playoffs not get on network TV, they can't even get on the best Ted Turner-owned cable channel. The NFL has its own channel.
    Everyone and their grandma has a fantasy football team. Who still pays attention to rotisserie baseball?

Yeah, there'll be a Series next year. Will anyone be watching?
    Heck, on the night the Sox won the title they would've been relegated to Page 2 of the Boston Globe if a story had come out of Foxboro saying "Tom Brady aggravates hangnail in practice, listed as 'Questionable' on injury report."

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »

Then Labor Day came and the NFL saved America, with SI trumpeting "Football: The Real American Pastime" on the cover. The viewing public embraced football and never looked back. Moments of interest like the McGwire-Sosa HR chase or the Red Sox breaking the curse were little more than isolated beeps after jolting a corpse with a defibrillator.

Nowadays not only can baseball playoffs not get on network TV, they can't even get on the best Ted Turner-owned cable channel. The NFL has its own channel.
    Everyone and their grandma has a fantasy football team. Who still pays attention to rotisserie baseball?

Heck, on the night the Sox won the title they would've been relegated to Page 2 of the Boston Globe if a story had come out of Foxboro saying "Tom Brady aggravates hangnail in practice, listed as 'Questionable' on injury report."
    Griffey got hurt all over the place, the strike played a minor role at best. If he was truly of any value any more, he wouldn't be with the Reds. Gwynn I can't speak to.

I, along with millions, pay attention to "rotisserie baseball". I'm glad to hear Sports Illustrated's irrelevant magazine proclaimed baseball America's pastime so many years ago. I hardly think the Boston Globe would blow the Sox winning for a freaking injury update on Tom Brady.

Nothing killed/maimed/destoyed/whatever baseball. It's still popular along with football, baseball and basketball.

Satan. on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Griffey got hurt all over the place, the strike played a minor role at best. If he was truly of any value any more, he wouldn't be with the Reds. Gwynn I can't speak to.

I, along with millions, pay attention to "rotisserie baseball". I'm glad to hear Sports Illustrated's irrelevant magazine proclaimed baseball America's pastime so many years ago. I hardly think the Boston Globe would blow the Sox winning for a freaking injury update on Tom Brady.

Nothing killed/maimed/destoyed/whatever baseball. It's still popular along with football, baseball and basketball.

Griffey wasn't injury-prone before the strike. The reason I mentioned he and Gwynn, and Matt Williams were in the middle of historic seasons when the strike was called. It was like calling a rain-out in the 7th inning of a perfect game. They cancelled the World Series - the first time since 1904. They didn't cancel the World Series to fight World War I, they didn't cancel it during the Depression, they didn't cancel it to fight World War II. But they cancelled it in 1994.

Call SI irrelevant if you want, but it's the most widely circulated sports publication in the US today, just as it was in 1994. You might as well call the Wii the most "irrelevant" console in gaming.

Fantasy baseball was the grandaddy, and has a number of built-in advantages. Baseball is incredibly stat-driven, in everything from its fan-encouraged scorekeeping to the hallowing of numbers - 56, .424, 511, etc. It's practically made for fantasy.

But football is king now. In 2004, fantasy football was a $100 million industry, and it's since grown by a ton. In comparison, fantasy baseball was a $20 million industry in '04.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/03/14/cx_pk_0314mondaymatchup.html

And as if to prove how little they get it, Major League Baseball tried to shut down tons of fantasy leagues by arguing that players' stats were copyrighted material owned by MLB. Really, how dumb can a league get? What other imaginative ways can baseball find to drive away fans? It's less watched than football, and less played than futbol. What's next, the All-Star game ending in a tie?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't forget the DirectTV Extra Innings debacle.

Medopine on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007

Griffey wasn't injury-prone before the strike. The reason I mentioned he and Gwynn, and Matt Williams were in the middle of historic seasons when the strike was called. It was like calling a rain-out in the 7th inning of a perfect game. They cancelled the World Series - the first time since 1904. They didn't cancel the World Series to fight World War I, they didn't cancel it during the Depression, they didn't cancel it to fight World War II. But they cancelled it in 1994.

Call SI irrelevant if you want, but it's the most widely circulated sports publication in the US today, just as it was in 1994. You might as well call the Wii the most "irrelevant" console in gaming.

Fantasy baseball was the grandaddy, and has a number of built-in advantages. Baseball is incredibly stat-driven, in everything from its fan-encouraged scorekeeping to the hallowing of numbers - 56, .424, 511, etc. It's practically made for fantasy.

But football is king now. In 2004, fantasy football was a $100 million industry, and it's since grown by a ton. In comparison, fantasy baseball was a $20 million industry in '04.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/03/14/cx_pk_0314mondaymatchup.html

And as if to prove how little they get it, Major League Baseball tried to shut down tons of fantasy leagues by arguing that players' stats were copyrighted material owned by MLB. Really, how dumb can a league get? What other imaginative ways can baseball find to drive away fans? It's less watched than football, and less played than futbol. What's next, the All-Star game ending in a tie?

I'm late , but this is an awesome post.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg