As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm at like 80 hours into this game and just hit lvl 41 or so. I've been doing every single quest and don't regret it at all. Fights can be crazy intense and I've found myself needing to force myself to sit back and relax after particularly close fights. The craziest are when I realize too late that I've pulled a Champion level mob (usually with 2+ interrupt armor) and then in the process of trying to survive pull even more mobs. If I miss dodging too many telegraphs I either have to run or I die. As long as I can dodge, though, I've got a pretty good solo build for my Spellslinger that lets me take on the 2+ Group Enemies. I open with True Shot and/or Wild Barrage, followed up by Flash Freeze and Flame Burst into whichever of True Shot or Wild Barrage I didn't open with. Normal mobs are dead by this point, but tough enemies require I pop a surged Astral Infusion with as many Quick Shots (with the AMP that lowers other ability cooldowns on use) as I need to get my other abilities back off cooldown. Astral Infusion gives me that extra 4k shield after healing me and my normal shield comes back in 2 secs which gives me the ability to outlast those really tough fights. I usually end them at a decent amount of health as long as I dodge telegraphs. I need a better build for group play, though. I have one that uses Ignite and Arcane Missiles for the sustain damage on bosses, but I'm not sure how effective that really is.

Exploration continues to be fun. Just last night I reached a particularly hard to reach area by scouting out the area first and finding a good path. I climbed and jumped and hoverboarded my way to an insane height and planted my beacon. When I realized how smooth that just went, I thought back to my earlier attempts when I was sub level 10 and realized the game had groomed me into a legit Wildstar Explorer.

I've probably spent like 100+ gold just messing with my outfit, buying dyes, and recoloring stuff. The costume system they have is amazing! I love that Dye is just a permanent unlock that can be applied to any armor pieces. Being able to add nearly any armor piece to the holo-wardrobe is a great idea.

It bums me out this game isn't more popular. Its a really unique, polished, and fun MMO.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BaskeBaske Registered User regular
    The thing that made me stop playing Wildstar was that it was actually too hard at endgame raids and dungeons. Screw up once and you basically wipe the entire raid. I'm guessing they toned down the difficulty now (I played when it first came out) so it might not be as bad, but constantly being on "alert" was just draining and left me exhausted.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Well, gear sucked when the game first came out. Everyone basically crafted themselves into glass cannons. People are a lot more survivable now. The encounters themselves haven't been toned down that much, but the environment around them has definitely changed. The telegraph system still lends itself to punishing mechanics, though.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Wildstar aspired to be WoW at release/TBC with an endgame that catered to a tiny sliver of the playerbase. That shit was great...for that narrow band of people...when I was single and could play to 3am and still function at my shitty job the next day. I have to wonder if anyone ever stood up at a development meeting and said, "This didn't work for Warcraft, and they had 10 million paying players to draw on, how do we plan on sustaining this?"

That said, my return to ESO went over like a lead balloon because everyone looks so goddamn boring in that game, guess I'll give Wildstar another shot.

Nosf on
  • Options
    I'm at endgame now and spent a ton of time solo in the new Arcterra zone. It's a fun place to explore and progress solo.

• Options
    After just a couple days playing at endgame, I'm one piece away from a full set of Arcterra gear (iLvl 80). Next will be to hit up Contracts to shoot for i100 stuff and start hitting Vet Dungeons for Glory. Plus I also need to pound out some rune sets. I should also probably look into attunement so I am ready for raiding if that ever happens.

Basically, endgame feels really healthy right now. There are lots of ways to progress and the rewards aren't too hard or too easy to come by.

And since I am apparently an addict, I started another character...

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I think my biggest problem with Wildstar was mostly just because of lag. The combat already felt pretty loose to me, I couldn't really tell when I was dealing damage or really if I was even hitting something. Combine that with the fact that 250ms meant dodging was literally useless, and half the time you got hit by attacks before you even saw them go out, it was real rough.

There were threads of a great game for me there, but it fell apart once I started doing more than solo stuff.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I think my biggest problem with Wildstar was mostly just because of lag. The combat already felt pretty loose to me, I couldn't really tell when I was dealing damage or really if I was even hitting something. Combine that with the fact that 250ms meant dodging was literally useless, and half the time you got hit by attacks before you even saw them go out, it was real rough.

There were threads of a great game for me there, but it fell apart once I started doing more than solo stuff.

Yeah, I can see this game being basically unplayable with lag. In some of the world bosses I've fought, the spaces between telegraphs is so small and the damage so large that if I had any latency I would be dead constantly.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2016
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Man, I soooooo wanna start playing this again, but I just can't shake the thought that I'm going to sink a bunch of time into a game only to have it shut down in a year...
    How many games have you sank hours into and kept playing them a year later? We have this weird thought process that MMOs have to yield some kind of return on the time investment, but we'll burn 60 hours in a Final Fantasy game and never touch it again. If you're having fun then just go for it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Man, I soooooo wanna start playing this again, but I just can't shake the thought that I'm going to sink a bunch of time into a game only to have it shut down in a year...
    How many games have you sank hours into and kept playing them a year later? We have this weird thought process that MMOs have to yield some kind of return on the time investment, but we'll burn 60 hours in a Final Fantasy game and never touch it again. If you're having fun then just go for it.

I know I feel like I got a lot of fun out of Wildstar in the time I had with it, even with my critiques of it and it's endgame and not really having any desire to play it again. Lots of MMOs have made me feel the same way over the years; only rare examples like WoW and FFXIV and SWTOR have commanded multiple years of my time and filled that time with enjoyment, and even they aren't perfect.

You just got to go with the flow and play what really excites you, and while trying to work towards long term goals in the context of an MMO, remember that your leisure hours should be full of genuine enjoyment and not just a sense of commitment to some future goal or because of fear of the potential for a game to be taken from you. Your fun, wherever it comes from and however long it lasts, is what counts the most in these kinds of games.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    In other words; you should play the game, the game should not play you.

Or, you should play the game for the fun it gives you when you are playing, not because you have to in order to have fun later.

Which is why I stopped playing Wildstar.

I mean it works both ways, but at launch it was a job you had to do in order to see the mythic endgame where the "real" game began.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I mean it works both ways, but at launch it was a job you had to do in order to see the mythic endgame where the "real" game began.

I had a blast myself starting with launch day until I was max level, at which point veteran dungeons punched me in the face and I decided 'too hard' and stopped. Frankly, I still think they were tuned too high at launch - gearing up to tackle them *would* have been a chore (for me). To say nothing of 40-man raiding, yeesh. When Reloaded went off I got back into it for a few months, even progressed through all of GA to doing Datascape weekly. That was super fun too, until the last couple of bosses just became a chore to even get to, never mind get past and I couldn't take devoting half my evenings to raiding anymore.

I'm not playing now only because I've pretty much done everything that I found fun more than enough. I certainly don't think my time with the game was wasted because I'm done with it. I still think it was one of the most fun MMOs I've ever played, and still has the best MMO combat I've ever seen.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    @ObiFett I really enjoyed reading you go from budding newbie to endgame hopeful with alt-itis. Makes me want to try this game again!

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Yeah i still freaking love this game!

Double exp weekend helped me get my second character to 50. I've got endgame characters on Exile (Esper) and Dom (Spellslinger) now.

I'd recommend anyone starting or coming back to play on the Exile side. They've got stuff organized every night and some really helpful dedicated players.

Got my alt into endgame today. Killed like 5+ World Bosses and tore up every inch of Arcterra. Went from low 40 gear score to something like 70+ with a ton of frost stuff to buy more ilvl85 stuff when I get back on.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Well I resubbed to SWTOR for a month, but the Beastmen DLC for Warhammer: Total War comes out next week, and then No Man's Sky in August. So I might find time here and there to give Wildstar another chance. Hopefully if/when I do you're still playing and can help me find a guild or something!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Swung by Wildstar's main site and saw that the new raid update is coming this month.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2016-08-01-redmoon-rising-raid-preview/

So that's neat.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    So I started a rock-bro Medic last night. So far so good, but no man's sky is out Friday. We'll see how far I get before then! Obi, if you're still playing, what server are you on?

• Options
    So I started a rock-bro Medic last night. So far so good, but no man's sky is out Friday. We'll see how far I get before then! Obi, if you're still playing, what server are you on?

There's only one server per region. So I guess I'm on the NA server?

• Options
    Cool, well my in game name is Grulgore Grimrock.

• Options
    The RMT raids are pretty damn cool. Can't wait for this to hit live.

• Options
    The guild came out strong with our first night of the new raid and took down the first boss. That was way ahead of what we were expecting. It feels great to finally have some new raid content. I think Datascape was the longest I've spent in a raid zone across any MMO. It's a testament to Wildstar's combat that it was really only just starting to get boring.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I still think healing as a medic in this game was some of the most fun I've ever had with an mmo. But the endgame grind and the constant, awful lag killed it for me.

I don't think I'll ever bother trying to get back into it, but I've got some real fond memories. I could happily spend hours working on my house area (and touring other people's spots), and I've yet to have another game engage me in that way.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    housing was a genius idea in removing currency from the game. just had to tweak it so it didn't have the platinum glut it did about a month or two in...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I'll be back for more world story. The stuff in Arkterra didn't do much for me - one tiny new scrap of info was all we got. We know who but still have no idea how or why.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I played this game back when it first came out but I found it a bit too grindy. I know a lot has probably changed since then. If I bought the game way back, can I log into it using the same old account I had back when it was a buy to play/sub game?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Yeah, your old account should be fine. There were a lot of server consolidations, though so if things look weird contact support.

• Options
    I want to show off my current favorite mount.

CAT_zps4mvaqdae.png

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    That looks fairly baller

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    A fine amount of radical.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Shade's Eve is coming back! I do remember it being quite fun, and there's a few diddly-bobs that I didn't get last time... I wonder if there'll be anything new.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Dunno if anyone here's still playing it but I'm giving the game a shot if I could get some pointers and need-to-know info that could be helpful for a complete newbie. I'd especially like to know how if it's possible to move around elements of the UI around like the chat-window.

• Options
    Probably one of the best things to remember as a new player is that quests are largely broken down into Story and Tasks. Story quests are where the bulk of the rewards and experience are. Tasks can be useful if you feel like you're behind in a given area, but the general recommendation is to skip them.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Baske wrote: »
    The thing that made me stop playing Wildstar was that it was actually too hard at endgame raids and dungeons. Screw up once and you basically wipe the entire raid. I'm guessing they toned down the difficulty now (I played when it first came out) so it might not be as bad, but constantly being on "alert" was just draining and left me exhausted.

My problem is the combat in general is like that. Its fun for a while and pvp was a hoot but when even doing normal mobs is kinda like fighting a raid boss where you are avoiding telegraphs it would up just being a lot of work for even basic critters. Still I played it to max level and enjoyed it for people in the mood for something like this it is a really polished game.

• Options
    I hate to be the "You're doing it wrong" guy, but if normal mobs were a lot of work it's more likely that you just weren't carrying interrupts on your bar. Nearly everything designed to be fought solo dies during the increased damage period you get after interrupting their first telegraph.

• Options
    In other Wildstar news, the new progression system has finally hit the test server. This is going to be a big update, and finally gives people who don't want to raid something to do to progress their character outside of gear. So far it looks good, but we'll see how things shape up as testing goes on.

• Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    Thinking of trying this out. Should I install from Steam or download from the Wildstar website?

• Options
    I don't think it ultimately makes a huge difference, but I haven't tried the Steam version.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is there a Penny Arcade chat-channel or guild I could hook up with?

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    In other Wildstar news, the new progression system has finally hit the test server. This is going to be a big update, and finally gives people who don't want to raid something to do to progress their character outside of gear. So far it looks good, but we'll see how things shape up as testing goes on.

Oo, neat! New dungeon and expedition too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Girlfriend and I just started playing this if there happens to still be any PA guildies around :D