As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 BYOC Mega Thread

2»

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Excited to be joining BYOC for the first time! Just bought my badge.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• DRAGONWEEZELDRAGONWEEZEL Registered User new member
    ppjcvt6ocv8b.png

• DRAGONWEEZELDRAGONWEEZEL Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    Above is the BYOC Tournament Schedule. Please thank Darc if you get a chance. He was pulled in to this pretty late, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome as always!

DRAGONWEEZEL on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Ummmmmmmmmm......so you can still buy a BYOC badge today, but it doesn't allow will call as a delivery option? How's that going to work?

Can somebody who orders today go to Will Call and get something worked out for Friday morning?

• conkconk Seattle, waRegistered User regular
    @mcdermott when i purchased mine a few days ago (like last week i think? time is blurring) i was not able to select a delivery method; simply stated that if it did not ship to me; that i would have to pick it up at will call. IMO it is worth a shot; if they let you buy it still; likely there are still seats? but our BYOC overlords would have the real answer. Maybe email paxquestions@reedexpo.com and pax_pc@paxsite.com; they should be able to help you i would imagine.

conk wrote: »
    @mcdermott when i purchased mine a few days ago (like last week i think? time is blurring) i was not able to select a delivery method; simply stated that if it did not ship to me; that i would have to pick it up at will call. IMO it is worth a shot; if they let you buy it still; likely there are still seats? but our BYOC overlords would have the real answer. Maybe email paxquestions@reedexpo.com and pax_pc@paxsite.com; they should be able to help you i would imagine.

Yeah, I'm gonna have him see if he can get it sorted at will call anyway. Wouldn't make sense to ship the badge tomorrow. Shot emails to both for a more official answer. Just disconcerting.

Email back from BYOC address, says definitely will call. Fingers crossed!

@mcdermott awesome! Hope to see you there!

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    What about Artemis?

7jIDTca.png
  • Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Bring your microphones and get on the Ventrilo server! It's a big room. This makes it a lot easier to organize games with people other than the ones sitting next to you. It helps a lot if the Vent server info gets announced over the loudspeakers.

Personally, I would love to get some Action Quake2 going. It's like Counter-Strike at Unreal Tournament speed.
    Download: http://q2online.net/action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3F3EHODuXA

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • just0nejust0ne Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say I used the link and ordered my BYOC today and picked up at Will Call 30 minutes later. Smooth as can be, provided you can find Will Call.

• just0nejust0ne Registered User regular

japerry wrote: »
    What about Artemis?

Also.... What about Artemis? japerry has a good point!

I would also be down for some Artemis, I just installed me steam copy and am ready to go!

• Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hey, I found the Ventrilo server by guessing the hostname "vent", but this really should be announced somewhere. Literally nobody else is on it.

EDIT: Although I do now see that there are standee signs up.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
    Also i heard there is a discord server? is there like an info page or anything? a steam group; something?

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Thank you to the JERK that STOLE our phone chargers!!! Both the cords and the plugs....no way that they were left behind as they were next to our equipment!!!! WOW. Now I get to spend the rest of my time at BYOC ordering and PAYING FOR NEW CHARGERS!!!! THANKS...YOU SUCK!!!!

Thank you to the JERK that STOLE our phone chargers!!! Both the cords and the plugs....no way that they were left behind as they were next to our equipment!!!! WOW. Now I get to spend the rest of my time at BYOC ordering and PAYING FOR NEW CHARGERS!!!! THANKS...YOU SUCK!!!!

I'd say there's like an 80% chance that would be an accident. Just scooped them up when grabbing their things. It's not like phone chargers are high dollar items worth stealing.

That sucks though.

edited September 2016
    mcdermott wrote: »

I'd say there's like an 80% chance that would be an accident. Just scooped them up when grabbing their things. It's not like phone chargers are high dollar items worth stealing.

That sucks though.

While I would like to believe that, there was no one sitting in the three seats immediately to my right today...and my group members were all sitting to my left. So unless someone 4 seats down thought they plugged in two phone chargers side by side three seats away from them, I think they were stolen.

And when is it okay to take non "high dollar" items? Stealing is stealing.

ClannMorgan on
    mcdermott wrote: »

That sucks though.

While I would like to believe that, there was no one sitting in the three seats immediately to my right today...and my group members were all sitting to my left. So unless someone 4 seats down thought they plugged in two phone chargers side by side three seats away from them, I think they were stolen.

And when is it okay to take non "high dollar" items? Stealing is stealing.

I'm not saying it's okay to steal inexpensive things.

I'm saying it's less likely that people will bother to steal inexpensive (and ubiquitous) things. The risk/reward ratio is all off. But if you're positive nobody in your group could have possibly packed it up by accident, then I suppose that they must have been stolen. That sucks.

I'm positive; sitting to my left was my husband, then our friend, and then our group going 4 more seats to the left. It's does suck, it's not about the monetary loss, more about the violation of someone stealing from me, and the inconvenience of replacing the chargers. I would hope that this is an isolated incident and BYOC doesn't turn in to a free for all when it comes to packing out...people "mistakenly" taking things that are clearly no where near them or not secured down. I'm glad I remembered my laptop security cable...don't need someone mistakenly putting that in their bag and walking out.

I'm positive; sitting to my left was my husband, then our friend, and then our group going 4 more seats to the left. It's does suck, it's not about the monetary loss, more about the violation of someone stealing from me, and the inconvenience of replacing the chargers. I would hope that this is an isolated incident and BYOC doesn't turn in to a free for all when it comes to packing out...people "mistakenly" taking things that are clearly no where near them or not secured down. I'm glad I remembered my laptop security cable...don't need someone mistakenly putting that in their bag and walking out.

I get you. I will say that while a laptop security lock is a very, very good idea I've also routinely left $200 headsets, laptops, tablets, and various other stuff purchased at the convention out without issue. Theft in BYOC seems pretty rare, at least in the four or five years I've been doing it.

Which, of course, is why my first assumption is that somebody next to you or across from you accidentally grabbed it. Honestly, I'm still holding on to the possibility of some less nefarious explanation than somebody deciding to break bad by ganking somebody's phone chargers.

Obviously none of this helps you charge your phone at the moment, though. Just sucks.

Yeah, I've never had or heard of this happening in the few years I've been attending either. We've left other stuff there too, I always felt it was a good place you could drop off your stuff and not worry.

Fortunately my friend told me about Amazon Now (I'm not local) so my replacements should be here any moment, so I'll be back in business ready to fly out of here in the am fully charged!

• The_CyberchristThe_Cyberchrist Registered User regular
    Thanks to all the enforcers and BYOC admins for another great PAX PRIME BYOC. On a side note I'm just happy I had a computer, my car window got bashed in Thursday night parked next to the convention center and they stole my old laptop, but after they shot up and left heroin needles in my car they decided my desktop and monitor were to heavy or not expensive looking enough to carry off. Main point, always have a heavy desktop to deter homeless heroin addicts.

There is no blackness in this world which has not its mirror image in my soul.
    I agree, BYOC was good this year.

I'm glad you have your desktop and monitor, I know it's little consolation for the window and laptop. Oh and the used needles in you're car. I mean they could have cleaned up after themselves.

• harkingharking Registered User regular
    Anyone know why there was no raffle this year?

• The_CyberchristThe_Cyberchrist Registered User regular
    To my knowledge Intel Lanfest with its 40+ sponsors usually puts on the raffle and they didn't sponsor the BYOC this year.

There is no blackness in this world which has not its mirror image in my soul.
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    To my knowledge Intel Lanfest with its 40+ sponsors usually puts on the raffle and they didn't sponsor the BYOC this year.

They didn't sponsor East this year either but luckily the company that did had a raffle. From what I've heard, it's very doubtful that Intel will be sponsoring a BYOC again.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    Are we there yet?

This discussion has been closed.